Subject: Siemens 6-611: Wierd yet cool

From: Tore Sinding Bekkedal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 12 16:35:01 2003

I recently found a computer to which I have never seen likes: The Siemens
6-611. Although I'm just getting started within serious collecting, this
is an interesting machine.

It features more than one 80851 (I counted 4), A Z84, and a bunch of
AY-something chips. It has a v. large mainboard.

It has a console I think is serial, with a wierd textile
covering the CRT. The console is also labelled 6-611. The keyboard
features indicators like ACK and a sexiful key. The monitor powers up,
beeps, and the OK light on the KB lights up.

Mass storage is an 8" drive, and a large HDD, 8" style. It has two
separate power connectors, one for the hard drive logic, one for the motor
and mechanics.

Upon powerup, smoke erupted from the powersupply, which I think were
filter caps. (ARGH, the SMELL!) The system worked fine after that. The
monitor has a power switch and AC out for the system, which doesn't. The
monitor also regulates the power to 230v (In comparison to 235v in
Norway.)

I lacked the cable from the console to the machine at that time, a
standard serial cable, DB-9.

Much Peace,
______________________
|Tore Sinding Bekkedal|
[email-masked]   |
|+47 91 85 95 08      \_________________________
------------------------------------------------/

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Thu Jun 12 18:47:19 2003

> It features more than one 80851 (I counted 4), A Z84, and a bunch of

IS the first an 8085, an 8051, or something else?

And what's a Z84? The Z8400 is another number for the Z80 CPU, BTW.

> monitor also regulates the power to 230v (In comparison to 235v in

I wouldn;t worry about that voltage difference. I've never found a 
machine that runs at 230V (or 220V for that matter) that won't take 240V. 

-tony

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 12 19:06:01 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Tore Sinding Bekkedal wrote:

> I recently found a computer to which I have never seen likes: The
> Siemens 6-611. Although I'm just getting started within serious
> collecting, this is an interesting machine.
>
> It has a console I think is serial, with a wierd textile covering the
> CRT. The console is also labelled 6-611. The keyboard features
> indicators like ACK and a sexiful key. The monitor powers up, beeps, and
> the OK light on the KB lights up.
>
> separate power connectors, one for the hard drive logic, one for the
> motor and mechanics.
>

This may be one of their early building automation system computers.
I've never had the chance to see one of the Siemens systems, but the JC80
I'm still gathering parts for could also be configured to use similar
storage means.

The DB-9 port you describe may not be for a console. Many of the
automation systems were designed to communicate with other devices and/or
computers, one of which might have provided the means to program the
system. Usually such automation system computers would be programmed and
run for very long periods without anyone needing to change their program.

Pictures?

-Toth

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 15:43:00 2003

> run for very long periods without anyone needing to change their program.

Before y'all run in circles, the 6.611 is a Word Processing System
from the mid/late 70s, 8085 based. It was available in various
configurations. The screen is/should always be a regular BAS
(Composite) CRT, while the keyboard was serial. Usualy a dasy
wheel printer was inclused. the early 6.610s where buld in a sturdy
steel desk ... I always guesst they could even survive a direct
atomic hit.

The System itself was straight forward. THe original 6.610 had one
or two 8" drives, while the 6.611 and 12 later on even featured hard
disks (like you have).

For the numbering sceme, back then Siemens did structure their systems
in  in a basic range - 3 where control systems, 5 office or telcom
systems, 6 small/midrange computers and 7 mainframes. The next digit
named a basic family, while the 3rd denoted a Family of more or less
similar systems, and the last finaly just numbered the machines. At
least for the mainframes, higher numbers usualy ment more power. (*1)

Anyway, if I dig deep enough, I might find some documentation and Software.

Gruss
H.

(*1) Now, just recently a totaly new idea came up at the service
department: using a hirachical system to create a product code.
This will solve all problems about connecting skils and products.
Of course it was necersary to emply a consulting firm for some
non disclosed money to come up with such a totaly new and unforeseen
idea... We all now, good management always assume that looking
back, or good beware listening to their own experts is bad practice
and therfore to avoide at any cost.

Of course the new system replaces all thoughs of the old by random
asumptions - what else do you expect from _external_ experts!

--
VCF Europa 5.0 am 01./02. Mai 2004 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/