Subject: to Jeffrey Sharp Re: Jeffrey Worley

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:32:51 2003

I saw your entry that seems to be about a year old about Jeff Worley. I thought it was odd that you refered to him with the handle Technoid. The Jeffrey Worley I knew from High school ('86-'87) in Miami went by "technoid mutant". I'm wondering if this is the same person I know. if so, I might have some disturbing news about Jeffrey. Please let me know if some of the information I have presented here seems to Jibe with who you knew.

Ted Hubbart

---

From: John Foust <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 26 12:36:00 2003

>I saw your entry that seems to be about a year old about Jeff Worley. I thought it was odd that you refered to him with the handle Technoid. The Jeffrey Worley I knew from High school ('86-'87) in M…

http://www.click10.com/news/2162231/detail.html

Disturbing E-Mail, Phone Call Precede Murder, Police Say
POSTED: 6:38 a.m. EDT April 28, 2003 
UPDATED: 9:43 a.m. EDT April 28, 2003 
MIAMI -- 

A disturbing e-mail and a long distance phone call led police to 
a grisly scene this weekend. 
Detectives say Jeffrey Worley (pictured) e-mailed his brother in 
Michigan to say he was going to kill both his father and himself. 
The brother called Miami police but it was too late for his father.

Tom Worley, 55, was found shot to death in his home. His son was taken 
into custody and charged with first-degree murder. 

- John

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 27 01:42:00 2003

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, John Foust wrote:
> > I saw your entry that seems to be about a year old about Jeff Worley.
> > I thought it was odd that you refered to him with the handle Technoid.
> > The Jeffrey Worley I knew from High school ('86-'87) in Miami went by
> > "technoid mutant". I'm wondering if this is the same person I know. if
> > so, I might have some disturbing news about Jeffrey. Please let me
> > know if some of the information I have presented here seems to Jibe
> > with who you knew.
>
> A disturbing e-mail and a long distance phone call led police to a
> grisly scene this weekend.
> Michigan to say he was going to kill both his father and himself.  The
> brother called Miami police but it was too late for his father.
>

Uhm, this doesn't sound good at all.

The last email I can find in my list archives from "Jeffrey S. Worley"
<[email-masked]> is dated 25 Apr 2003, and according to an email
dated 13 Dec 2002 that Jeffrey posted to the list, his mailing address
was:
Jeffrey S. Worley
1151 N.E. 86St.
Miami, Fl. 33138

I was in the process of arranging to get his nonworking Stingray card, and
the last email I got from him was on the 24th of April...

Curt: did you ever manage to get the SWP ATR8500 system? Jeffrey's post on
13 Dec 2002 seems to indicate he couldn't remember who to send the system
to.

-Toth

---

From: Richard Schauer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 27 08:59:00 2003

> dated 13 Dec 2002 that Jeffrey posted to the list, his mailing address

If you look on switchboard.com for Tom Worley in Miami, that's the same
address.  That's not good.

Richard Schauer
[email-masked]

---

From: Philip Pemberton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 28 13:34:01 2003

In message <[email-masked]>
          Tothwolf <[email-masked]> wrote:

> <[email-masked]> is dated 25 Apr 2003
I've got one from the 16th of April that mentions the URL
http://technoid.dyndns.org - Oregano (web browser) says the URL doesn't
exist...
The last message I've got in my archive is 25th April 2003, subject "RE: More
DEC Stuff Coming".

The plot thickens...

Later.
-- 
Phil.
[email-masked]
http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/
"I'll take your 20kV and raise you 200kV. Go on, step off that plate. I dare you."

---

From: "Fred Cisin (XenoSoft)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 28 14:12:00 2003

Does this mean that Jeff Worley (the technoid) is having some family
problems?

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 28 14:47:46 2003

> Does this mean that Jeff Worley (the technoid) is having some family

To put it lightly.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Fred Cisin (XenoSoft)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 28 18:09:01 2003

How do others deal with relatives who complain about collection size?

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 28 18:18:00 2003

> How do others deal with relatives who complain about collection size?

Put them into relation .... well, or just think of 'em as unrelated?

:)

Sorry, I don't have real problems with anybody, except myself, about
the size of my junkpile.

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 5.0 am 01./02. Mai 2004 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/

---

From: "Patrick Rigney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 28 22:43:00 2003

> How do others deal with relatives who complain about collection size?

Diamonds and German cars are excellent peacemakers, and from what I've read
on this list, the monthly payments may be lower for some collectors than
their monthly eBay expenditures. ;-) Kidding, of course...

Truthfully, my collection is quite modest by anyone's standards, and my wife
gives me a lot of latitude.  When I don't get latitude, I've usually broken
one or both of the following simple rules (made by observation, not
declaration): (1) out of site, out of mind--I keep my stuff put away and
well organized, and I make a concerted effort not to let it spread outside
of a contained area (and never refer to the living room as the "receiving
dock"); (2) pace yourself--getting a big box every day, three or four days
in a row, starts the "what is all this stuff" conversation.

Those are the big ones, but there are a couple of "survival skills" I think
also apply to any hobby.  First and foremost, practice good relationship
management.  For example, ask yourself when you last spent as much time
thinking about a spontaneous gift or event for your
spouse/partner/S.O./kids/family as you do in digging up rusty
Vaxen--holidays and birthdays DO NOT count.  Has (s)he been asking you for
months to do something around the house, and you never have time for it, but
you've had bottomless time to repair that <whatever>?  That's just asking
for trouble.

Second, don't not spend more than you can afford.  This seems obvious, but
on more than one occasion I've been surprised at the end of a month by how
much I had spent on eBay and thrift shops.

Third, give yourself an honest evaluation as to why you are collecting--if
the motivation is bragging rights, nobody will care but you, and someone
else always has more, so you're wasting your time, money, energy, and
probably looking pretty foolish to those around you.  In fact, you may be
distracting yourself from what really does matter to you.  I think real
collectors collect for themselves, and for the love of the things they
collect, and the challenge of finding certain things and preserving their
history.   And if it's really about the love, then choose a focus and stick
to it for a long while, just like collectors of other things generally do.
For me, having one or two really great pieces is much better than having
boxes full of so-so stuff.

On a recent visit to my house, Sellam declared me a "hobbyist", because my
collection is only about a dozen machines and a bunch of add-in boards and
peripherals.  Yet at the same time, I was able to pull something out of a
box that seemed to get him pretty excited (original, boxed, AIM-65 expansion
unit and a Rockwell 256K bubble memory board for it).  In any case, I think
he made an accurate assessment.  I only have two machines that I lovingly
care for and coo over, keep in their original boxes, take them out to show
someone and but them right back, and rarely power up (annually if that).
The rest see power and daylight regularly and often, they don't just sit,
and they don't not work (at least not for long), and this is probably
another reason I don't get much static from my wife about my hobby.

My 2p.  --Patrick

P.S. On a related note for the folks who like to collect things just to have
them: my parents were avid "collectors" of Persian and Oriental rugs.  They
had a few of them around the house, but most of what they had collected was
still rolled up and in the shipping material it arrived in, stacked roll
upon roll in the garage, and in the nooks, crannies and bottoms of various
closets.  At times, it seemed like they bought them faster than they could
be shipped in.  And still they bought more, thinking "some day we're going
to do something with these."  What they did with them was watch them all
burn up with their home in the Oakland Hills Fire, having never once been
displayed or even looked at after the day they were purchased.  The loss
they felt was for all the things they truly loved, like one-of-a-kind
pictures and family heirlooms, and they only felt foolish and wasteful about
the rugs.  My parents' mind-set now is that they are not willing to have
(let alone "collect") anything in their house that they are not going to
display, use, or otherwise draw regular and immediate enjoyment from.
Lesson I took away: use and enjoy what you have, don't have more than you
*can* use and enjoy, and certainly don't have more than you're willing to
lose.  And if its something reproducible like pictures (or programs, data,
disk images, etc.), make sure someone else has a copy, because having only a
copy rather than the original may be tragic, but that pales when compared to
not having anything.  (I'll call that 3 more pennies for an even nickel
now.)

P.P.S. That same fire burned my original North Star Horizon, ADM-3A, and 8K
Commodore PET with 4040 floppy, long in storage after I had left the nest.
Sigh.  Fortunately, my KIM-1 was at the time hanging as a novelty
wall-decoration for my cube at work, if you can imagine.  --P

---

From: "Wayne M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 29 00:30:00 2003

> > > Tom Worley, 55, was found shot to death in his home. His son was 
> > > taken into custody and charged with first-degree murder.
> If you look on switchboard.com for Tom Worley in Miami, 
> that's the same address.  That's not good.
> 
> Richard Schauer
> [email-masked]
> 
Wow. Very sad.

People Trak also confirms that as Tom Worley's address.  It gives a
different address for Jeffrey S. Worley, but very close by:

Name: WORLEY, JEFFREY S

Address:
 770 123RD STREET APT. 25A 
 NORTH MIAMI, FL 33161-5653 
 Address Updated: 7/13/2001 

Birthdate: 6/1970

---

From: "Wayne M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 29 00:46:01 2003

> People Trak also confirms that as Tom Worley's address.  It 
> gives a different address for Jeffrey S. Worley, but very close by:
> 
> Name: WORLEY, JEFFREY S
> 
> Address:

Here's another article from a Florida paper from just last Thursday.
The strange thing is that when I searched the 1151 N.E. 8th St. address,
there is a Michael Worley listed as living there, born in 1968.

The Ledger (Lakeland, FL) June 26, 2003, Thursday 

Copyright 2003 Lakeland Ledger Publishing Corporation  
The Ledger (Lakeland, FL)

June 26, 2003, Thursday

SECTION: Metro; Pg. B1

HEADLINE: SNAKE AT THE LAKE

GRAPHIC: DAVID MILLS/The Ledger: Jeff Worley brought his 12-foot, 2-inch
Burmese python for an outing at Lake Hollingsworth in Lakeland on
Wednesday, drawing curious attention from passersby. Worley's older
brother, Jamie, raised the snake since it was about 1 foot long. Now
Worley and his brother, Michael, care for the 50-pound reptile that
feeds on a diet of turkey legs.

LOAD-DATE: June 27, 2003

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 29 10:47:00 2003

> feeds on a diet of turkey legs.

If you use infousa.com do a look-up on "Jeff Worley" in Florida you get
several hits.

--