Subject: Lisa 1 goes for almost $10,000

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 20 19:59:00 2003

Check out this Lisa one on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3406407504

---

From: "David Vohs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 20 22:15:01 2003

Hmmm...I thought it was 2003 & not 1983. The guy is paying damn near MSRP
for this thing!

-- 
  David Vohs
  [email-masked]

-- 
http://www.fastmail.fm - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 20 23:05:00 2003

> Hmmm...I thought it was 2003 & not 1983. The guy is paying damn near MSRP

It's about the right value.  There is a lot of demand from the Mac
fanatics, and there are less than a dozen original Lisa 1's in existence.
This one was almost immaculate.  All the software and the fact that it
works is a major bonus.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 20 23:57:01 2003

If I had bill gate's money I would have purchased it.
Then again I would put together the best classic arcade from space invaders
to the best of the current coin operated machines first. Im the type who
would spend millions on electronics before I purchased 1 Van Gogh.

---

From: Bryan Blackburn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 00:52:00 2003

Before considering the effects of inflation, it only took twenty years 
to break even!

-Bryan

---

From: "Damien Cymbal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 07:16:00 2003

I was talking to my father about this.  Back in the late 80's-early 90's the
company he was working for had several *pallets* of these that were free for
the taking.  Just about all of it wound up going to scrap -- nobody wanted
any of it.

Needless to say, he feels a little nauseous right now.

I'll bet there are many similar woeful stories.

dc

---

From: Cameron Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 08:14:00 2003

> If I had bill gate's money I would have purchased it.

If I had Bill Gates' money, I'd be doing a lot of things ;-)

-- 
----------------------------- personal page: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * [email-masked]
-- The fact that it works is immaterial. -- L. Ogborn -------------------------

---

From: Doc Shipley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 09:41:00 2003

> If I had bill gate's money I would have purchased it.

  Heh.  If I had Bill Gates' money, I think mostly I'd be laughing at
Bill Gates.

-- 

   Doc Shipley			||
   MDR Consulting, Inc.		||	Pray for peace
   Austin, Texas		||

---

From: "Steven N. Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 17:07:00 2003

> I'll bet there are many similar woeful stories.

<groan>  Yes.  We gave a mint Lisa 1 (w/10MB ProFile) to one of our 
employees after selling off a business in the early 90's.  Had all the 
docs, Lisa Office, you name it.  Worked fine.  Cost about $10k when it was 
purchased new (~1983).

We thought he was doing us a favor by taking it <g>.

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 18:00:05 2003

I know somebody who was given a lisa a few years ago, but has the 3.5"
drive, only the twiggy 5.25 drive versions are rare I believe.

---

From: Eric Chomko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 19:34:01 2003

> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3406407504

Interesting to see abeclassic bail at a 1/4 of the selling price. He
usually wins what he wants. 

I think the seller should be tickled pink.

---

From: Eric Chomko <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 19:46:00 2003

> Before considering the effects of inflation, it only took twenty years

Break even? By all practical purposes, within the collectable computer
realm, breaking even is a success. 

Here, I'll sell you my Mac IIfx for half what this guy got for his Lisa
since the Mac IIfx is half as old and cost just as much new. 

Eric

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 21 21:47:00 2003

> docs, Lisa Office, you name it.  Worked fine.  Cost about $10k when it was

Hey, that was probably the guy that sold the Lisa-1 on eBay for $10,000 ;)

--