Subject: Fry's (was goin to CA soon, to be a CC tychoon

From: Al Kossow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 15:57:00 2003

The old building of the Sunnyvale store (their first) was
a giant chip :) 

==

That was their SECOND location in Sunnyvale. The first was two blocks
east, on the other side of Laurence Expr. MUCH smaller, but a larger
selection of useful stuff (like ICs).

I don't think I've been there more than three times since they moved
from there.. It is such a hateful experience I'll go anywhere else
first.

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 17:04:00 2003

> selection of useful stuff (like ICs).
Er... their second?  I always thought that was their first.. I mean
the one just off of Lawrence Expwy, righthand-side when coming off
the 237, going towards Central Expwy.. its right before where Arques
crosses Lawrence.

Anyway.  Even there, they're kinda dorky :)

--fred

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 18:31:01 2003

> the 237, going towards Central Expwy.. its right before where Arques

Fry's Sunnyvale location has moved twice.  The first was on the other
side of Lawrence, approximately behind Coco's.  It was as Al said, the
sort of place you could go for ICs, connectors, Amiga RKMs, potato
chips, soda pop, and aspirin.

I'm guessing that the big difference is that Fry's now uses the
grocery-store model in the parts aisles: rather than hire
knowledgeable buyer(s) to select a good range of stock, sections of
the parts aisles are rented to to distributors who supply the stock
(and maybe even put it out on the shelves).  So you get very narrow,
single-vendor selections of some types of parts.  

That and, well, the target market is everyone (instead of just
Sillycon Valley geeks) now that computers are just a special case of
consumer electronics.

-Frank McConnell

---

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 22:00:00 2003

All the Fry's in the area are "Themed" too.

Fremont  - Mad Scientist power equipment (including a large VanDeGraph 
generator)
San Jose, Brokaw  - Mayan Frys
San Jose, Hamilton - Egyptian Fry's
Sunnyvale - Museum Frys (was big IC chip frys (was "looks like a normal 
building))
Mountain View - Old West / Miner 49er Frys

The Sacramento Fry's Used to be an "Incredible Universe"  They had a 
big jumbotron just
in the front door and what looked like a dance floor..

Are any of the other Fry's themed?

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 9 01:35:01 2003

>Fremont  - Mad Scientist power equipment (including a large VanDeGraph generator)
>Sunnyvale - Museum Frys (was big IC chip frys (was "looks like a normal building))
>The Sacramento Fry's Used to be an "Incredible Universe"  They had a big jumbotron just

The Wilsonville, OR Fry's is also an ex-"Incredible Universe", but I wouldn't call it themed.

			Zane

-- 
--
| Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| [email-masked] (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
|     Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing,    |
|          PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum.         |
|                http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/               |

---

From: "Wayne M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 9 01:43:00 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Zane H. Healy
> Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 11:31 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Fry's (was goin to CA soon, to be a CC tychoon
> 
> 
> >generator) San Jose, Brokaw  - Mayan Frys San Jose, Hamilton 
> - Egyptian 
> >Fry's Sunnyvale - Museum Frys (was big IC chip frys (was 
> "looks like a 
> >normal building)) Mountain View - Old West / Miner 49er Frys
> >
> >big jumbotron just in the front door and what looked like a dance 
> >floor..
> >
> The Wilsonville, OR Fry's is also an ex-"Incredible 
> Universe", but I wouldn't call it themed.
> 
> 			Zane
> 
Burbank is sort of a B-Science fiction movie theme - complete with a
saucer crashed halfway into the store above the front enterance, and
little green men exiting the ship on the inside.  Woodland Hills is
"Alice is Wonderland."  Manhattan Beach is Tahitian.

-W

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 10 00:27:00 2003

> The Wilsonville, OR Fry's is also an ex-"Incredible Universe", but I

The Houston, TX Fry's made an attempt at an "oil field" theme. Its pretty
bad... Sounds like some of the others would be much more entertaining.

-Toth