Subject: Re: FA-PDT-11/150 on eBay

From: "Steve Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 2 00:45:00 2003

Jerome Fine wrote:
.
> Is there an actual Qbus - or something else?  It certainly
> sounds like a Qbus!

The PDT has no Qbus. I believe the eBay auction has a picture
with the top cover off and the top board elevated - you can
make out a ribbon cable coming off the bottom board, and the
paper insulating sheet that sits between the bottom two boards
when closed.

> Also, I presume there is no possibility of a hard drive?
> How many DL ports are available?

The PDT-11/150 was reportedly available with one or two RX01
drives, and three serial ports with another three optional. I've
only seen the one I own, which has both drives and six ports.
There're no other expansion options that I can recall.

In fact it's sitting in the dining room with a VT100 waiting to
be powered up to check some 8" floppies I received a while back.
I'm in the process of bringing up a VAX 4000/500 I recently
received and it'd be a hoot to connect the PDT to it.

Did RT-11 ever include DECnet support? Probably so, but as of
what version? I don't recall seeing mention of it with whatever
version came with the PDT, and I'd be amazed if the PDT could
support it...

--Steve.

smj(at)spamfree.crash.com   (lose spamfree to get through, m'kay?)

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 2 02:10:00 2003

>There're no other expansion options that I can recall.

Mine has both drives, and I believe only three ports.

>version came with the PDT, and I'd be amazed if the PDT could

Yes, there is DECnet for RT-11, however, I've never seen it, or heard of anyone with a copy.  It would be most interesting to play with.

			Zane

-- 
--
| Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| [email-masked] (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
|     Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing,    |
|          PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum.         |
|                http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/               |

---

From: Megan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 3 08:52:22 2003

>Yes, there is DECnet for RT-11, however, I've never seen it, or heard of 
>anyone with a copy.  It would be most interesting to play with.

I think I have a copy somewhere, but it is, of course, licensed
software.

Somewhen about 1985 or so, while I was in the RT group, I was also
a member of a team working on getting DECnet/Phase IV on RT... the
project was cancelled, however...

					Megan