Subject: Re: Vintage Computer Message Board

From: "Erik Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 30 13:58:00 2003

Stan Sieler wrote:

> Re:
> > -	the ability to support off topic conversations along with on-
> > topic ones without burdening those not interested in one or the 
other
> > -	the ability to easily search archives for topics of interest
> > -	the ability to keep “threads” of discussion together
> > -	the ability to categorize these threads for easier research
> 
> That's all easily achievable with the current CC-TALK/CC-TECH.
> ...just use a small prefix (from a small set of group endorsed ones).
> 
> E.g.:   OT: iraqi playing cards
> where "OT" means "Off Topic"
> 

I agree that we could implement that.  It becomes a little more 
complicated when you try to generate the "group endorsed" prefixes and, 
once you do, keeping those in the public eye so folks use them.  I like 
the idea, though, and think it would make the list easier to use.

We already have OT, FS and FA of course.  What other prefixes could we 
have?  HW and SW?  OS?  PRG?  HLP?

> The inherent problem with the current vcforum web interface is the 
large
> amount of extra work that people need to do to use it.  With CC-TALK, 
all the
> current posts are visible (one per line) on my screen.  With vcforum, 
I
> have to scroll the index web page to see what sections have new posts.
> For each section with a new post, I have to click on it (deciding 
whether or
> not to click-into-new-window or click-into-same-window), just to see 
the list
> of topics in that section.  Then I have to potentially scroll (not 
now, but
> later, as more topics are posted) to see which topics have new 
posts ...
> the end result it that it takes me 10 to 20 times longer to "catch 
up" as
> it does with CC-TALK/CC-TECH.

I don't think it's all that difficult to navigate although it is 
different from an email interface and there are disadvantages inherent 
in the greater flexibility.  Once you get used to it, however, I think 
it takes just as much time to remain "caught up."

On the other hand, you can eliminate topics you don't care about a lot 
easier by simply tracking messages in the forums you are most 
interested in.  If you have no interest in Apple or Unix or the Off 
Topic discussions you need never visit those boards.  CCTalk will 
always send you those messages.

The thing that I like the most about a threaded message board is that 
you can view the entire discussion without any heavy manipulations.  If 
I want to do that with the mail list I have to either visit the 
archives or use my mail program to sort on message header (assuming 
that hasn't been changed mid-thread).  As of right now I have nearly 
29,000 CCTalk messages in my outlook CCTalk folder.  Even with a P4 2.4 
and 1GB of RAM resorting that list is slow.

> Could this be fixed?  Yes.  There could be an alternate presentation 
page which
> lists all new posts, one per line ... sortable by topic or date-
posted.
> I should be able to quickly mark any I wish as "ignore" (aka "delete" 
in a
> mail reader).  However, most web based forums use the server to 
accomplish
> updates, as opposed to doing more work just behind the glass (e.g., 
java
> to collect the updates/markings/wishes and then upload the set to the 
server).
> That's easier, of course, but clearly makes for more work and/or 
slower
> response for the user.

The "new posts since my last visit" link is my favorite on bigger 
boards.  I hope that this new forum gets the kind of reception that 
makes that feature useful.  If enough people sign up and start using 
the forums they'll hit "critical mass" which will make them that much 
more useful.

> One person's comments, anyway :)

Thanks, Stan!  I do appreciate the feedback!

   Erik

---

From: Marvin Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 30 17:30:00 2003

I picked up a board for the Apple II this last weekend, and am curious
if anyone knows anything about it? The silkscreening on the boards is
"APL BOARD", and besides an EPROM (Fairchild M88518H?) with "APL"
stamped on it, it has what appears to be a centronics printer cabled
attached.

---

From: Owen Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 30 17:36:00 2003

> stamped on it, it has what appears to be a centronics printer cabled

Umm... Something to do with the APL character set, maybe? A character
generator for a printer?

-- 
Owen Robertson

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Wed Apr 30 18:31:03 2003

> "APL BOARD", and besides an EPROM (Fairchild M88518H?) with "APL"

Fujitsu, I thionk, not Fairchild.

> stamped on it, it has what appears to be a centronics printer cabled

For some reason, Epson printer interfaces were called APL boards 
(APLication boards?). I think this is just a standard Epson MX80 (etc) 
interface for the Apple, and has nothing to do with the language of that 
name.

-tony

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 30 23:03:00 2003

> stamped on it, it has what appears to be a centronics printer cabled

I have a couple.  It is what it seems, just a simple, boring printer card
:(

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *