Subject: Re: HP R332 Touch screen

From: "Peter Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 10:27:01 2003

>Hi Peter,
Hi Joe,

{sorry if this is a little muddled - I just got off a 10 hour flight...}

>   I picked up a pile (8 of them IIRC) of these things recently.
I've acquired two of them too.  One without keyboard or any other 
accessories, the other with keybaord and three rather inportant cables...
The first cable is phono to phono, about 6 inches long and connects the rear 
panel HP 9000 audio connector to the audio input on the HP 332 chassis.
The second is a 6 inch HPIL to HPIL connector that jumpers the HP 9000 card 
keybaord input to an HPIL socket in the rear panel that just connects 
through to a front panel HPIL for the front panel hinged keybaord.
The third cable connects the phono video out from the HP 9000 card to the 
'VGA' connector on the rear panel (3 row connector 15 pins).  Only four of 
the pins in the 'VGA' connector are used.  I haven't buzzed it through but 
the pins used are 1, 5, 11 and 15 only.  HP part number is A1300-60036

Without the video jumper cable in place then the display will only show 
retrace lines when the brightness is turned right up - so it can be mistaken 
for not working.

>They had
>been surplused by a large company and the integrated keyboards were
>missing. So the surplus company that got them threw them out. BUT the KB
>cable runs through the machine then out the back and then plugs back into a
>standard HP-HIL keyboard port. So I'm thinking that I can use a standard
>HP-HIL keyboard.
Absolutely - I have done htis and it works fine.  With the correct cable you 
can also drive the monochrome display from another computer system

>I've tried one of the machines and I can't get a display
>on it. I haven't had time to check further and I haven't checke dhte
>others.
See my comments above - if you see retrace lines whenq the brightmess is 
turned up then it is probably working OK.

>I'm pretty certain that these have an internal hard drive. sorry no
>advice on how to use the touch screen.
If you had a spare hard drive thenI'd be interested.  I'm currently booting 
my systems off an external harddrive.

>Do you know if an external display can be connected to these? This one
>appears to be running but nothing is displayed on the screen. I think it
>may have a bad screen.
See my previous comments

I'll have a play with the touch screenand see if I can come up with 
something.

Cheers

Peter Brown

_________________________________________________________________
Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends 
http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger