Subject: RE: HP 5451c terminal cable

From: "Peter Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 25 16:19:01 2003

Hi to all on the list,

I've got an HP 5451c Fourier analyser that I'm trying to resurrect.

The machine is basically an 'embeded' HP 1000 (2113B - I think but called a 
54451 A/B processor in the literature) with a multi-channel digitizer, an 
oscilloscope display a system controller and a display terminal.

The system allows time signals to be recorded and then viewed in the 
frequency domain (amongst many other functions)

After pulling the parts of the system out of the store and trying to put it 
all together I find that I am minus the cable that connects the display 
terminal (an HP 2648A) to the system controller.  The connector at the 
system controller end is marked 'teletype'.

Is there anybody out there who has a spare cable?
Does anyone have a pin-out for the correct cable?
Does anyone know the correct part number for the cable? - I think that this 
may be 13232B but the literature I have is a little sparse

Thanks in advance

Peter Brown

_________________________________________________________________
Get Hotmail on your mobile phone 
http://www.msn.co.uk/msnmobile/mobilehotmail

---

From: "Glen S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 26 00:35:01 2003

My 264X manual says a 13232B cable (p/n 02640-60058) connects a 13260A async 
interface in a 264X terminal to an HP 12531D or an HP 12880A computer 
interface.

The 30 conductor card edge connector for the 264X terminal side should be 
easy to obtain.  I think EDAC part 305-030-500-202 would work, approx $2.50 
at DigiKey.com.  For the 12531 side you need a 48 conductor card edge 
connector.  I think EDAC part 305-048-500-202 would work, but I don't know 
where you can order that part without a large minimum order.

Here's the 13232B cable wiring scheme from my 264X manual.  Some day I 
should scan the picture...

264X Terminal           12531D Interface
13260A Interface        12880A Interface

Data Out      B --> X   Data Out
Data In       C <-- W   Data In
CB            E <-- U   +12 VDC
Ground        H <-> 24  Ground
CF            J
X8 Clock Out  K --> L   X8 Clock Out

E,J connected           D,4,Y  connected
                        T,16,V connected

>>After pulling the parts of the system out of the store and trying to put 
>>it all together I find that I am minus the cable that connects the display 

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: "Peter Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 26 14:47:01 2003

Hi Glen and Joe,

Thanks for your replies.  I've had a closer look at the controller / 
computer / terminal connections.  It seems to work something like this

The 2648A terminal has a 13260A card that is connected via a short hooded 
edge connector and cable to a longer hooded edge connector on the rear of 
the 'controller' box.  The controller box is then connected via another 
cable (that I have) to a 12531 card the HP 1000 computer.

The long hooded connector on the controller has the same number of contacts 
as the 12531 card in the computer - so I would assume that it is just 
replicating the contacts in the computer.

The controller box has a number of short-cut keys for various functions that 
the system can perform so I would guess that the controller can inject 
characters into the connection between the terminal and the computer.

My memory is that all the funcions have two character shortcuts that can be 
typed in at the terminal and I notice a couple of cards with diode matricies 
in the controller.  There is a diode array for each key consisting of up to 
16 diodes - 2 lots of eight bit ascii - maybe.

Anyhow, Glen it looks as though your cable detective work is correct.  The 
cable is a 13232B p/n 02640-60058 for connecting the 2648A to a 12531 
interface.

Joe can you please have a fish around and see if you have the right cable + 
we can work something out.
If not then I'll have to take the build-it-yourself approach.

Many thanks to you both.

Peter Brown

_________________________________________________________________
Surf together with new Shared Browsing 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/browse&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=74&DI=1059