Subject: Unknown Apple 2 cards

From: Jules Richardson<[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 06:44:01 2003

Hi,

I came across a whole boxful of Apple II cards at the weekend that I'd
forgotten I actually owned. Unfortunately nearly all of my Apple hardware is
too far buried to really dig out at the moment and play around with any of this
stuff, but there's still a few cards that I'd be interested in finding more
about if possible and getting necessary software for. 

Card images [640x480 resolution and around 60KB or thereabouts] are at:

  http://www.moosenet.demon.co.uk/temp/apple2

PAL Colour Card:   No idea as to manufacturer; mainly analogue circuitry on
board plus the modulator and a bit of TTL. Am I likely to need software for
this to work with a UK TV?

IC Test Card:  Made by a Japanese company called Fairy, given the 20-pin ZIF
socket that (I assume) goes with this, I imagine it's a tester for TTL logic
chips. Most of the card's logic is buried beneath black gloop with black
cardboard over the top, so who knows what's under there - the 40-pin chip with
the 'test OK' sticker on it has had the markings ground off too. Anyone heard
of one of these or have software for one?

Vitalograph card:  I gather Vitalograph these days make medical equipment.
Whether this card is from the same company or not I don't know - and ideas what
the 3-pin (XLR?) connector would have hooked up to? Some TTL on board, some
OP-amp chips. 40-pin chip is a 6522. All chips are date-coded 1980 or 1981.

Z80 Card:  Actually a "Z80 Card II" made by Creative. Presumably software
exists for one of these somewhere still. No on-board memory, and 4 unknown
DIP-switches in the lower-right corner. CPU is Z80-A, card seems to have been
made in late 1982.

ROM Card:  No idea what this is; presumably the 6 ROMs (2716 chips) contain
utilities that could have been accessed under software control? No idea what
the switch at the rear edge of the card does either.

80-column card:  Marked as 'Chinex' and made by Creative, presumably necessary
software for this still exists somewhere? Any ideas what the 'middle' connector
(with no cable attached) is for?

ZIF-socketed card ("unknown_04.jpg" on the website):  The ZIF socket is a
28-pin unit. I'd say it was a programmer, but wouldn't it need an external 24V
(??) supply if that were true? The 40-pin chip is marked as "S6821P", whatever
one of those is. The first 3 of the switches are labelled as '16', the next 3
as '32' and the last 4 (overlapping by 1 with the previous 3) as '64'.

Card with 8 LEDs and 4 empty 16-pin DIL sockets ("unknown_02.jpg" on the
website): Any ideas? Possibly a joystick controller or something and the
joysticks plugged in via the DIL sockets? The two 40-pin chips are 6522's.
There's a back of 8 DIP-switches on board, plus a switch in the top-right which
just seems to enable or disable the LEDs as far as I can see.

Card with remote pushbutton switch ("unknown_03.jpg" on the website): All TTL
logic on board, ROM is a 2716 chip. Underside is labelled "Wild card". Anyone
seen one of these or know what it is?

cheers for any help or pointers on the above,

Jules

---

From: jamesd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 07:35:00 2003

On Thursday 05 June 2003 06:39 am, Jules Richardson wrote:
> forgotten I actually owned. Unfortunately nearly all of my Apple hardware
> is too far buried to really dig out at the moment and play around with any
> of this stuff, but there's still a few cards that I'd be interested in
> finding more about if possible and getting necessary software for.
>
> IC Test Card:  Made by a Japanese company called Fairy, given the 20-pin
> ZIF socket that (I assume) goes with this, I imagine it's a tester for TTL
> logic chips. Most of the card's logic is buried beneath black gloop with
> black cardboard over the top, so who knows what's under there - the 40-pin
> chip with the 'test OK' sticker on it has had the markings ground off too.
> Anyone heard of one of these or have software for one?
>
> Whether this card is from the same company or not I don't know - and ideas
> what the 3-pin (XLR?) connector would have hooked up to? Some TTL on board,
> some OP-amp chips. 40-pin chip is a 6522. All chips are date-coded 1980 or
> 1981.
>
> DIP-switches in the lower-right corner. CPU is Z80-A, card seems to have
> been made in late 1982.
>
> utilities that could have been accessed under software control? No idea
> what the switch at the rear edge of the card does either.
>
> 80-column card:  Marked as 'Chinex' and made by Creative, presumably
> necessary software for this still exists somewhere? Any ideas what the
> 'middle' connector (with no cable attached) is for?
>
> 28-pin unit. I'd say it was a programmer, but wouldn't it need an external
> 24V (??) supply if that were true? The 40-pin chip is marked as "S6821P",
> whatever one of those is. The first 3 of the switches are labelled as '16',
> the next 3 as '32' and the last 4 (overlapping by 1 with the previous 3) as
> '64'.
>
> There's a back of 8 DIP-switches on board, plus a switch in the top-right
> which just seems to enable or disable the LEDs as far as I can see.
>
> Card with remote pushbutton switch ("unknown_03.jpg" on the website): All
> TTL logic on board, ROM is a 2716 chip. Underside is labelled "Wild card".
> Anyone seen one of these or know what it is?

okay i don't remember the exact name of it the card with the button, but it 
was used as a hacking card, the button when pressed issued a NMI, so and goes 
into a program on the ROM, and allows you to debug any program running at the 
time, and can also save memory contents, it was used for hacking games and 
removing copy protection from programs.

---

From: "peter tremewen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 08:48:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: Jules Richardson <[email-masked]>

> forgotten I actually owned.

        Things get buried way to easily in this "Hobby", That Reminds me I
might pull my Apple IIs out of storage and have a play.....

        I was never really much of an apple user, came by my collection by
fluike and just kept adding to it. I have had lots of fun playing with them
though. I'll try and give what info I can, comparing the cards to whats in
my collection......

> IC Test Card:  Made by a Japanese company called Fairy, given the 20-pin
ZIF
> of one of these or have software for one?

        I have heard of these, there is a curcuit in the form of a
electronics project floating around some where for either this card or
something simillar. I'm sure the artical had a listing of the software. I
would try and find an archive of electronics magazines from the mid
eighties.....

> DIP-switches in the lower-right corner. CPU is Z80-A, card seems to have
been
> made in late 1982.

        I might be wrong but I have a feeling if your talking Z80 in the
apple you looking at a CPM adaptor. Next generation apples have the Z80
built in as a co-processor....     That if I remember correctly..... I have
several mother boards, some with the Z80 and others without. The first time
I saw something like this it was inside a machine without the Z80 mounted on
the mother board.....

> utilities that could have been accessed under software control? No idea
what
> the switch at the rear edge of the card does either.

        I have a simillar card, once again it's to do with CPM. At least
mine is, yours might be loaded with something diferant, I can't remember if
it was "generic" storage, or purpous built for the above CPM card......

> 28-pin unit. I'd say it was a programmer, but wouldn't it need an external
24V
> as '32' and the last 4 (overlapping by 1 with the previous 3) as '64'.

        Definatly correct here, this is an Eprom programmer. Once again i'm
sure this was something that I hacve seen inside an electronics mag as a
project....   I'd do a little bit of research at the local library.....

> Card with remote pushbutton switch ("unknown_03.jpg" on the website): All
TTL
> seen one of these or know what it is?

        I have never seen anything like this one before, but if it is as
sugested by another member a "Hacking card" then I'd also love to hear from
anyone else who may have further info. This sort of "Unusual" plug in would
be an interesting addition to my collection. I'll keep my eyes out for more
info,  might even do a bit of research at the local TAFE myself.......

        Hope this has been useful,  Keep us updated with any info you get, I
know I'd love to see more info on these bits,  just so I know wether or not
it's worth looking out for them to add to my collection.....

                The Sinister Dragon......

---

From: "peter tremewen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 09:49:00 2003

Just found this very interesting site....  http://www.apple2.org/
It has photos of lots of differant types of Apple cards....    Treasure
trove of information....  Have a good look around and see if you can I.D.
The cards you have.....

                The Sinister Dragon....

----- Original Message -----

> forgotten I actually owned. Unfortunately nearly all of my Apple hardware
is

---

From: "Ernest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 09:57:01 2003

Is that Mitac computer an Apple II clone?

---

From: "Ernest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 10:29:01 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of peter tremewen

> several mother boards, some with the Z80 and others without. The
> first time I saw something like this it was inside a machine without the
Z80
> mounted on the mother board.....

It's a Z80 add on. The Apple II's used the 6502 but these Z80 cards could be
added to allow the use of CP/M. There were a few Apple II clones that had
the Z80 built-in (both the Z80 and 6502 on the motherboard,) and even some
that had the Z80 as the main processor on the MB, with an add-on 6502 w/ROMs
card that would allow the system to function as a regular Apple II system.
There was even at least one clone that had the 6502 and Z80 on the MB but
the ROMS were on a separate card. I assume that they were built that way so
that they could pass through customs easier.

> > ROM Card:  No idea what this is; presumably the 6 ROMs (2716 chips)
> > contain utilities that could have been accessed under software control?
> > No idea what the switch at the rear edge of the card does either.

It's a simple ROM card. These were built during the transition from Integer
Basic to Applesoft Basic. The card would have Applesoft and sometimes
additional ROMS like the Programmers Aid ROM, etc. These cards were usually
used on earlier Apple II systems, since later models had Applesoft built in.
Also, these ROM cards could be used in clones for the same reason, and
having the ROMs on a separate card would again make moving the clones
through customs easier. The switch was to allow you to select the different
ROMS.

> > Card with remote pushbutton switch ("unknown_03.jpg" on the
> > website): All TTL logic on board, ROM is a 2716 chip. Underside
> > is labelled "Wild card". Anyone seen one of these or know what it is?

> sugested by another member a "Hacking card" then I'd also love to
> hear from anyone else who may have further info. This sort of "Unusual"
> plug in would be an interesting addition to my collection. I'll keep my
> eyes out for more info,  might even do a bit of research at the local TAFE
> myself.......

Yeah. It's a WildCard. I have a boxed WildCard II but I've never used it.
These cards were often used in conjunction with a 128k RAM add-on card. If I
remember correctly, the card allows you to capture the contents of your RAM
and view it, or save it to disk, etc. I think that the main purpose was to
be able to edit/save whatever program is loaded in memory, whether it's copy
protected or not. You could edit out the copy protection part, and then save
the edited program to disk.

E.

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 13:08:00 2003

> removing copy protection from programs.

It is called, in fact, "The WildCard".

It's the only card of the bunch besides the ROM programmer (which I also
have) that I recognize.  This is truly one cool lot of Apple cards.  I'd
really like to know what the IC Tester does (though I think it's pretty
obvious ;)

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Thu Jun 5 13:32:06 2003

> this to work with a UK TV?

I don't think it'll need special software. It goes in slot 7 (only -- it 
needs some clock signals that are only on that slot), and may also 
connect to one of the aux video connectors on the mainboard. You also 
have to do the Eurapple modification (as in the TechRef -- cut and jumper 
the pads and change the crystal) unless you have a Europlus.

> of one of these or have software for one?

Argh!!!

> OP-amp chips. 40-pin chip is a 6522. All chips are date-coded 1980 or 1981.

The 6522 is a 16 bit parallel chip with all sorts of features 
(counter/timer, etc). No idea what this card does -- could it be an 
interface for some medical instrument?

> DIP-switches in the lower-right corner. CPU is Z80-A, card seems to have been

Probably a CP/M add-on card. It uses the main Apple memory, of course. 
You need to find the CP/M boot disks for it.

> the switch at the rear edge of the card does either.

Maybe a firmware Applesoft card. This would contain floating point 
(Applesoft) BASIC, to be inserted into slot 0 of a machine with Integer 
BASIC on the mainboard. The switch selects which BASIC is active after 
reset. Personnally, I perfer a 'language card' (RAM) in slot 0, since I 
can load BASIC, Pascal, etc from disk.

> (with no cable attached) is for?

Some 80 colum cards had an extra little PCB that fitted under one of the 
video timing chips on the Apple ][ mainboard, and which carried a cable 
to connect to the main 80 column card. Maybe it's for that. Maybe it's a 
light pen connector. Maybe it's a video input for sutomatically switching 
the monitor between the 80 column card and the Apple's 40 column output.

> 28-pin unit. I'd say it was a programmer, but wouldn't it need an external 24V

Sounds like an EPROM programmer. Is there an step-up converter on the 
card (any 'wound components'?)

> (??) supply if that were true? The 40-pin chip is marked as "S6821P", whatever

That's a simpler 16 bit parallel I/O chip.

> as '32' and the last 4 (overlapping by 1 with the previous 3) as '64'.

Presumably to select 2716/2732/2764 EPROMs.

> just seems to enable or disable the LEDs as far as I can see.

Sounds like a user I/O card for hardware hacking type projects. You've 
got 32 I/O lines there, presumably brouhgt out the DIL sockets. You 
connect those to your own hardware, etc...

> seen one of these or know what it is?

_Maybe_ one of those cards to interrupt the Apple after loading a 
copy-protected game, etc so you could save an image of memory to disk.

> cheers for any help or pointers on the above,

The above are all wid guesses -- I'm not even an Apple ][ person...

-tony

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 10 11:08:00 2003

> the pads and change the crystal) unless you have a Europlus.

Or just use an according 'PAL' Apple.

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 5.0 am 01./02. Mai 2004 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Tue Jun 10 19:12:00 2003

> Or just use an according 'PAL' Apple.

There is no such thing as a PAL Apple ][ AFAIK. No Apple ][ ever 
generated PAL video on the mainboard. 

The Europlus (that's why I mentioend it) generates European TV scan 
rates, but the colour encoding on the mainboard is _not_ PAL. The PAL 
enocder card will plug into that mainboard and then generate European PAL 
video. 

The Europlus is a slightly modified Apple ][+. There are a few 
cut-n-jumper pads that convert the video timing chain (shown in the 
techref and on the schematics). The master clock crystal is a slightly 
different freqeuncy (I forget what). That's it. Most Apple ][s sold in 
Europe have been factory-modified to this spec AFAIK.

-tony