Subject: Computerized Music Gear On eBay

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 21 08:03:00 2003

I remember someone was interested in music gear.

Don't know if you'd consider this worth the asking price or not, but it
looks like a nice set.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2539449598&category=38071

---

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 21 18:52:01 2003

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2539449598&category=38071

Yes, it definitely looks like a nice set, and would most likely be fun
to work/play with, but I'm not about to pay a price like that for it
at this time.  Of course, someone probably will, as these
sort-of-classic synths are very popular with some people.  There
appears to be much historic relevance to this computerized synthesizer
as well (see http://www.seib.synth.net/ppg/history.htm).  That said,
if I saw one at a hamfest for a much lower price (like "make me any
offer, I don't know what this thing is, and I don't want to have to
haul it back home"), I'd buy it, and have great fun with it. :-)

Thanks for posting this info!  

-- 
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals: 
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature & 
[email-masked]  410-744-4900  her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org         beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 22 16:29:33 2003

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, R. D. Davis wrote:
> > Don't know if you'd consider this worth the asking price or not, but
> > it looks like a nice set.
> to work/play with, but I'm not about to pay a price like that for it at
> this time.  Of course, someone probably will, as these sort-of-classic
> synths are very popular with some people.  There appears to be much
> historic relevance to this computerized synthesizer as well (see
> http://www.seib.synth.net/ppg/history.htm).  That said, if I saw one at
> a hamfest for a much lower price (like "make me any offer, I don't know
> what this thing is, and I don't want to have to haul it back home"), I'd
> buy it, and have great fun with it. :-)

I have to agree, it does seem to be a really nice set. I'd certainly not
fork over that kind of cash for one though. I figure one of these days,
such a setup will find me ;)

It appears that the auction ended without a sale. I wonder if it will be
re-listed without such a high reserve?

-Toth

---

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 22 20:45:00 2003

Quothe Tothwolf, from writings of Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 04:35:43PM -0500:
[PPG system]
> such a setup will find me ;)

Yep... hopefully we'll both be found by some of those. :-) For the
kind of money that seller is asking though, one can purchase a lot
more synthesis equipment, and a nice eight or sixteen track analog
tape recorder to go with it, plus plenty of accessories for PDP-8s
and 11's required for synthesis-related usage.

> re-listed without such a high reserve?

Hopefully, but I'll wait for one at the "buy this for 10 bucks", or
"please take it, so I don't have to haul it back home" hamfest price.

Does anyone on this list have a couple of these PPG synth. systems
taking up valuable space in their warehouses, basements, barns,
etc. that they need help getting rid of, so they can reclaim the
valuable space that they take up?  If so, there are two people on this
list who will, most likely, gladly help you with the problem.  :-)

---

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 23 00:38:00 2003

RDD wrote...
> list who will, most likely, gladly help you with the problem.  :-)
Make that three :) Although I'd prefer to find an Oberheim Matrix 12, I
guess I'd settle for most PPG's :>

Jay West

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 23 05:42:00 2003

Hello Toth,

 > re-listed without such a high reserve?

Now that you know the item number and the seller's ID, you might email
them and ask. They might lower the price a little and run it again, though
as of yet, it doesn't show being relisted.

Best Regards

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 23 05:58:00 2003

Hello Robert,

 > For the kind of money that seller is asking though, one can purchase a lot
 > more synthesis equipment

I didn't know what something like that would actually be worth, it's just 
something
I'd run across while searching eBay.

The link you came up with to the history of Wolfgang Palm and PPG was an
interesting read. Thanks.

Best Regards