Subject: Kinda OT: DEC 3000 Model 300 AXP Memory

From: Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 7 23:52:01 2003

I don't think this machine is *quite* 10 years old yet, but it's pretty 
close -- and it's 'different' enough that hopefully I won't get flamed...

I have a DEC 3000 Model 300 AXP which is currently sitting idle -- it has 
Tru64 Unix 5.0 on it currently, and 64Meg of RAM. I was thinking of putting 
Alpha VMS 7.1 instead, for to start learning VMS again (someday... :-O ) 
and I recall saying that Alpha VMS is much happier in more than 64M Ram, so 
I was thinking of upgrading it.

I do know that it uses 'standard' 72-pin Parity FPM Memory - but what I 
don't know is: how finicky is the machine? Will just any Parity memory 
work, or is it limited to certain manufacturers? I have a supplier that has 
used 32M Parity 72-pin FPM memory for $6/stick -- a decent price 
comparatively - I've seen it at $30+ per stick, which would make a memory 
upgrade cost more than the machine itself...

I have no idea what they have for manufacturers of the memory - these guys 
prolly don't, either. It's a reputable company (I've ordered from them 
before) but they don't get too deep with the specifics. (WRT another OT 
thread: They have 3Com 905C-TX NICS for $10 each...)

Should I take the chance and order the memory, or would it be foolhardy to 
do so?

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

---

From: Doc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 8 02:25:00 2003

Roger Merchberger wrote:
> work, or is it limited to certain manufacturers? I have a supplier that 
> has used 32M Parity 72-pin FPM memory for $6/stick -- a decent price 
> comparatively - I've seen it at $30+ per stick, which would make a 
> memory upgrade cost more than the machine itself...

   There are a bunch of different 3000/300 models.  The 3000/300X and 
the 3000/300 both take commodity 36-bit parity SIMMs.  My 3k/300X is 
running RAM from a Mac, from a DEC "Jensen", and from Goodwill.

   The best thumbnail reference directory I've found are on the 
DEC/Linux pages:

http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~prescott/linux/alpha/dec3000-sysinfo.html

	Doc

---

From: Jochen Kunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 8 04:27:00 2003

On 2003.07.08 06:42 Roger Merchberger wrote:

> I do know that it uses 'standard' 72-pin Parity FPM Memory - but 
> what I  don't know is: how finicky is the machine? Will just any 
> Parity memory work, or is it limited to certain manufacturers? 
It should accept any FPM parity (36 bit) SIMMs. One bank consists of two
SIMMs. In fact, it uses long word parity, i.e 33 bit SIMMs like the
AS500. I think it can use only 8 MB and 32 MB SIMMs. 

> Should I take the chance and order the memory, or would it be
> foolhardy to do so?
Well. By two SIMMs, look if they work and by additional 6 if they do. I
have a 300X with 256 MB RAM, thats nice. 

In an other mail Zane isn't sure if it uses 72 pin SIMMs or proprietary
RAM. All models of DEC 3000-300 use 72 pin SIMMs. The DEC
3000-[456789]00 models use very special 100 pin SIMMs and they need 8
per bank. 
-- 

tschüß,
       Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/

---

From: "Antonio Carlini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 8 15:37:00 2003

Manx ( http://vt100.net/manx ) has an upgrade manual listed for it 
(try searching on "dec 3000"). If that doesn't help, I have
a service guide around somewhere, so yell.

(And, yes, OpenVMS will feel much happier in 128MB).

Antonio
 
-- 

---------------
Antonio Carlini             [email-masked]