Subject: plotter

From: "Kenan TOKER" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 17 11:26:50 2003

The broken gear is occured because of using thickker paper. This is true for 
this mechanism made by ALPS. You can fix it by using a cement which has two 
elements to combine and get rigit. Then the gear is permanently stabilize.
Kenan

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Thu Jul 17 18:33:01 2003

> The broken gear is occured because of using thickker paper. This is true for 

If this is refering to those little 4-ballpoint-pen plotters used by 
Sharp, Commodore, Radio Shack, etc then I disagree. I've had several fail 
(Radio Shack CGP115, Oric Printer, Sharp PC1500 series plotter, etc) 
while in storage. And I never used anything by the correct paper in them.

> elements to combine and get rigit. Then the gear is permanently stabilize.

I've not found anything that will reliably stick to the plastic for said 
pinion. 2-pack epoxy resin adhesives (Araldite, etc) certainly don't. And 
no common plastic solvent disolves that plastic either.

> Kenan

-tony

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 17 19:51:00 2003

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003, Tony Duell wrote:

> > this mechanism made by ALPS. You can fix it by using a cement which
> > has two elements to combine and get rigit. Then the gear is
> > permanently stabilize.
>
> pinion. 2-pack epoxy resin adhesives (Araldite, etc) certainly don't.
> And no common plastic solvent disolves that plastic either.

I actually don't know of *anything* that can bond nylon plastic (be it
solvent or epoxy). AFAIK, nylon has to be formed under heat and pressure,
otherwise it won't hold. I've tried melting nylon together in the past,
and it seems to only become brittle.

-Toth

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 20 12:39:00 2003

> elements to combine and get rigit. Then the gear is permanently stabilize.

The first posting from a Turkish list member?  Too cool!

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *