Subject: 5.25" SMD drives

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 14:41:00 2003

Oops... wrong key...

I have an SC21 on the way (as I mentioned elsewhere).  I have some 10" and
14" SMD drives I could steal from an SI9900, but I'd like to find some
lower-power drives to play with - I'm thinking 2BSD on a Unibus PDP-11,
so anything from a couple-hundred megs and up would be great.  Are
there any non-SMD-E drives in the the 5.25" size?  Would anyone know
where I could pick up a couple?  I remember there were SMD drives up
to 600MB in that size, but I don't have part numbers and I don't remember
the exact interface type (I just remember the ads on Usenet where the
seller was warning people that these 600MB-for-$600 drives would *not*
work on your PC).

Thanks for any help locating some smallish SMD hardware,

-ethan

---

From: Jochen Kunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 17:42:01 2003

On 2003.06.24 21:36 Ethan Dicks wrote:

> Are there any non-SMD-E drives in the the 5.25" size?  
I have a Hitachi 514s of around 380 MB and a Seagate 1.2 GB 5.25" disk.
I think they are both SMD-E. 

If anybody has any detaild information about the Seagate ST-41097J or
ST-41201J bejond "st41097j.txt" or "st41201j.txt" please share it with
me. I have no description of the DIP switches, so I can't use the drive.
But a 1 GB 5.25" SMD disk would be so nice on one of my PDP-11s or
VAXen... 
-- 

tschüß,
       Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/

---

From: "David C. Jenner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 19:28:00 2003

I have complete docs (User's Manual and Reference Manual, both
very long) for both of the Seagate drives (the manuals cover
both).  And a stock of the 1.2GB drives, including power supply
and cables.  And QD33 Qbus adapters.  I'll be glad to entertain
offers for these offline, especially trades for PDP-11 equipment.

Dave

-- 
David C. Jenner
[email-masked]