Subject: Re: Any UK list members?

From: "Mike Ross" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 31 21:05:00 2003

>If anyone on here is from the UK, they might want to take a look at 
> >http://computerhardwareneeded.cjb.net and read this guys story

I'm a Brit in the USA.

Most of us are friendly helpful folks.

Most of of us become unfriendly when directed to a website that tries to 
install Gator spyware on our machines, like you just did...

Mike
http://www.corestore.org

_________________________________________________________________

---

From: "Philip Pemberton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 31 23:57:00 2003

Mike Ross wrote:
> Most of of us become unfriendly when directed to a website that tries
> to install Gator spyware on our machines, like you just did...
That's one of the advantages to Mozilla - I can set it not to show
unrequested popups. A quick hack to my machine's HOSTS file finishes the
job. No more Gator or Cometcursor :-)

Later.
--
Phil.
[email-masked]
http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 1 09:26:25 2003

>install Gator spyware on our machines, like you just did...

   Speaking of Gator, if you're running MicroSloth's Wincrap go and download a copy of Ad-Aware. It's free and it will hunt down all the Spy-Ware crap and delete it.

   Joe

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 1 09:27:54 2003

>job. No more Gator or Cometcursor :-)

   That's nice but Gator isn't a pop-up. It's spy-ware. I snoops on your system for whatever it's told to look for  (including things like credit card numbers, passwords, buying and browsing habits, etc) and sents the results back to people that you don't want to have it. FWIW I use Guide-Scope to block the pop-ups AND to selectively block cookies and Ad-Aware to search out and delete spy-ware. They're both available from the net for free and they seem to work fine.

    Joe

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 1 12:14:00 2003

>   Speaking of Gator, if you're running MicroSloth's Wincrap go and
>>download a copy of Ad-Aware. It's free and it will hunt down all the
>>Spy-Ware crap and delete it.
>
>   Joe

I'm hearing that Ad-Aware is past it's prime.  For Anti-Spyware info the
site to check is http://www.spywareinfo.com/

I believe Spybot is now the preferred method.
http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download

I REALLY recommend installing the following Registry Hack:
http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm#IESPYAD
This blocks most spyware sites, and there is a version that you can put in
/etc/hosts on Unix.  Once I installed this it took care of all the Spyware
problems I was having.

Proxomitron is great for taking care of preventing popup windows, and
depending on how it is configured can speed up surfing by blocking most
ads. http://www.proxomitron.org/

			Zane

--
| Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| [email-masked] (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
|     Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing,    |
|          PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum.         |
|                http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/               |

---

From: "Merle K. Peirce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 1 12:26:00 2003

Yes, I run it every week or two and it keeps the crap down to a minimum.

>    Speaking of Gator, if you're running MicroSloth's Wincrap go and download a copy of Ad-Aware. It's free and it will hunt down all the Spy-Ware crap and delete it.

M. K. Peirce

Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
Shady Lea, Rhode Island 

"Casta est quam nemo rogavit."
              
              - Ovid

---

From: Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 1 12:37:00 2003

Rumor has it that Merle K. Peirce may have mentioned these words:
>[snip]

There's two programs that will do that:

Ad-Aware (latest version is 6.0) -- There's a freeware & a paid version... 
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spybot Search & Destroy  -- another good spyware proggie that can get rid 
of new.net & downloadware (ones that Ad-Aware 5.83 couldn't kill)... 
http://security.kolla.de/

To bring this back ontopic, tho: lavasoft has been around since the 
Commie64 days, and a) still has a lot of that software, and b) released it 
to freeware as well... you can download it there...

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
[email-masked]

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????

---

From: "Philip Pemberton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 1 13:43:00 2003

Joe wrote:
>    That's nice but Gator isn't a pop-up. It's spy-ware. I snoops on
> your system for whatever it's told to look for
[snip]
I know what Spyware is. I've got a block in my HOSTS file on the PC - Gator
seems to download most of its stuff from the Gator website. Stop it
downloading that crap and it doesn't even get past installation. Use Mozilla
and its ActiveX control won't even start, so Gator won't even try and
install in the first place. IIRC.

> FWIW I use Guide-Scope to block the pop-ups AND to selectively block
> cookies and Ad-Aware to search out and delete spy-ware. They're both
> available from the net for free and they seem to work fine.
I use AAW a lot - I give my PC a scan every two months. As for my Acorn
RiscPC, well. I don't think there's much spyware for that, do you? As for
viruses, "T3" is the only real nasty virus that exists for RISC OS - the
rest are just annoyances. T3 destroys data - Extend, Icon and the like just
sit around wasting memory. I seem to remember the Icon virus was written by
a student at the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School (QEGS) in Wakefield,
England... I think his nickname was "Smigg" or something like that.

Later.