Subject: what might this isa board do?

From: James Carter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 19 19:40:00 2003

i suppose it could be a plain old memory board, but 1992 seems very late
for that (but still classic :-).

the faceplate has two stickers, one for the serial number (1074) and the
second has "HYPERTEC R9_BC HRAM CL EX SIMM".

http://www.jfc.org.uk/misc/card-small.jpg [80 KB]
http://www.jfc.org.uk/misc/card.jpg [432 KB]

does anyone have any ideas about this card?

-- 
 J.F.Carter                       http://www.jfc.org.uk/

---

From: Geoff Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 19 23:15:00 2003

it's just a plain old memory board :)

---

From: jamesd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 20 17:39:01 2003

could it be a ram card to upgrade an AT systems ram?

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 21 03:45:00 2003

> second has "HYPERTEC R9_BC HRAM CL EX SIMM".

Looks like an address-selectable upper-space memory board.  These were
often used in conjunction with EMS/LIM drivers to allow for drive caches
and the like- I still have an AST RAMpage card for that... could have up
to 8x 1MB SIMM.  I only used it with 8x256KB, as 1MB's were out of my
reach, then.

The "starting address" stuff probably sets an address in the upper mem
range (C0000 - EFFFF) of the peecee, where you can tell the LIM/EMS
drivers where the extra memory is, and how "deep" (how many pages) it
is.

--f