Subject: Re: Leaving the hobby

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat May 17 21:30:01 2003

"R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]> observed,

>Incorrect response to such a wife: "Yes dear." [wimpily spoken]

>Correct response to such a wife: "You're right, we're not taking it
>with us, I'm taking it with me.  Either you're coming with me, or you
>aren't.  Make up your mind." [spoken very matter of factly and calmly,
>then just let any arguments, shouting, screeching, etc. go in one ear
>and out the other]

My first wife called this bluff and left, leaving me with the son and all
the bills. She filed property settlement papers that placed the value of
my collection at over $10,000, including my Kaypro 10 at $2,500, a PS2 at
$1,500 and a 9 pin Epson at  $160. The current wife is an electrician
with a case of "Pack rat syndrome" equal to mine. The only classic
related disagreements we have are over whose turn it is to use the
ancient ones and how nice it would be to get 1/2 of the spare room for
her stuff, I tell her that she can have the bottom 1/2.

Rich

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 17 22:32:35 2003

> $1,500 and a 9 pin Epson at  $160. The current wife is an electrician

Don't you know you're only supposed to brag about what your collection is
worth to other geeks?

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: James Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 17 23:12:00 2003

My first wife always bitched about my  "junk" too.  She tried the same 
thing when we split, but she had no clue about what I really had at the 
time.  She kept two old 486's, my DVI box for the Tandy 1000 and all of 
my TI99 stuff and thought she had the "crown jewels".

My current wife has her own thing going on.  She sell's party packs on 
ebay so we have 12 pallets of  kids party supplies in the fourth 
bedroom.  She can't bitch about my collection.  at least it's all  
either in the garage or in one room.

-- 
http://webpages.charter.net/jrice54/classiccomp2.html

---

From: "Merle K. Peirce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 18 08:28:00 2003

I was going over some old cables, and found a strange card in them.

It is marked C.A.V.I. interface and has a sticker that reads Cavri Systems.
There is a 1980 date etched on the board, and under the sticker it looks 
like it says BCD Associates.  There are seven chips on board,  2 
DM7416N's a DM74LS14N, 2 Magnecraft W107DIP-5's, a Magnecraft W118DIP-5, 
and a rockwell 6520-11.  There are 6 outputs: Monitor V, Monitor A, Audio 
Ch1 and 2, Player V and Computer V, and a nasty HRS rectangular locking plug.
I suspect it might be for an Apple II, but everything else was Wang or 
System36, so it could be anything.  Does anyone recognise this?

M. K. Peirce

Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
Shady Lea, Rhode Island 

"Casta est quam nemo rogavit."
              
              - Ovid

---

From: Peter Turnbull <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 18 11:58:00 2003

> System36, so it could be anything.  Does anyone recognise this?

Sounds like some kind of interface to connect a computer, a monitor,
and a LaserVision player (or some similar device).  Such systems were
used for training systems using video clips and stills.  I remember
Jaguar using such a system in the mid-eighties; they shipped one to
each Jaguar dealer in the UK, with training disks for the vehicle
technicians -- but those were PC-based, with Pioneer LaserVision
players and fancy Sony monitors.  CAV probably means Constant Angular
Velocity; which is what is used on LaserVision disks designed for
random access, especially picking out individual frames.  The
Magnecraft devices are DIL reed relays, possibly for video switching.
 If it doesn't have much else on it, I'd guess it doen't do any
genlocking.

Sorry, no idea what computer it fits.

-- 
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sun May 18 17:11:00 2003

> It is marked C.A.V.I. interface and has a sticker that reads Cavri Systems.

Maybe 'Constant Angular Velocity Interactive'? This sounds like a video 
disk player interface 

> Ch1 and 2, Player V and Computer V, and a nasty HRS rectangular locking plug.

Monitor video, monitor audio, Audio inputs from the videodisk player (2 
channels), player video and computer video. I would guess the rectangular 
connector is for the remote control signals to the player (to select 
individual frames, etc).

-tony

---

From: "Merle K. Peirce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 18 18:27:00 2003

Pete, you and Tony have been very helpful.  The board seems the only 
piece of the system that has survived, and completely out of context.

M. K. Peirce

              
              - Ovid

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 15:29:40 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Merle K. Peirce
> Sent: 19 May 2003 00:24
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Leaving the hobby
>
>

I've only been able to find USENET postings about Cavri Systems, and they
all relate to videodisc stuff. One posting is a 'for sale' item which has a
Cavri card amongst a bunch of Apple stuff, so it would seem its a
laservision interface for an Apple II. I'm sure I've got one somewhere
too......the name leapt out at me as soon as I saw it.....

cheers

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans