Subject: Commodore CBM/PET in Terminator 3

From: "Frank Palazzolo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 8 07:49:01 2003

Anyone else spot that one near the end of the movie?  It was one of the
80-column models.
Not sure what any of the other "30-year old" computers were.

-Frank

---

From: Mark Firestone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 8 08:07:00 2003

I haven't seen it yet, but Captain Kirk owns one!  Check out Star Trek 
II... in his apartment...

>Not sure what any of the other "30-year old" computers were.

[---------]
"Homer, we don't have to have sex."
"Yes we do, the cookie told me so."
"Deserts aren't always right Homer."
"But they're so delicious."

Website:      retrobbs.org
BBS:           telnet bbs.retrobbs.org 2323
Tradewars:   telnet tradewars.retrobbs.org
[---------]

---

From: Cameron Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 8 22:14:00 2003

> Anyone else spot that one near the end of the movie?  It was one of the

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm wondering which computer John Connor knocked on
the ground, though. It looked like an early X-term of some vintage.

-- 
---------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * [email-masked]
-- High explosives are applicable where truth and logic fail. -- Marcello Corno

---

From: The Design Fort DTP <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 10 11:28:00 2003

In the Canadian Movie "Trudeau" about the former Canadian Prime minister,
you can spot 3 PETs. One Chicklet PET, a Super PET 9000 and a CBM 8032 with
disk drive. 
The production team rented them two years ago from my museum.

PETs are awesome movie props :)

Herbert

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 10 11:58:00 2003

Whats it cost to rent computers?

---

From: Mark Firestone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 11 05:40:00 2003

Cool!  I'll check that out.  Someone in CA is supposed to ship a IMASAI 
8080 to my parents house, so I can get them to ship it to the UK.  I can't 
wait... wargames here I come!

[---------]

Website:      retrobbs.org

---

From: "ed sharpe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 16 00:13:00 2003

Congrats on your Imsai Mark!

Thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC

Please check our web site at
 http://www.smecc.org
to see other engineering fields, communications and computation stuff we
buy, and by all means  when in Arizona drop in and see us.

address:

 coury house / smecc
5802 w palmaire ave
glendale az 85301

---

From: "ed sharpe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 16 00:15:33 2003

address:

 coury house / smecc
5802 w palmaire ave
glendale az 85301

---

From: Mark Firestone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 16 04:21:00 2003

Thanks Ed!  I can't wait till he sends it to my folks... and they send it 
on to me here in the UK.

Say, you're an old time BBSer.  I think you even used to call my 
board.  I'm going to be in town from the 29th to the 6th, and we are having 
a party at Paul Nicolaides house on Saturday.

I'll definitely stop by Corey house and say hi, but I was wondering if you 
fancied turning up at Paul's on Saturday night?  The invitation extends to 
anyone else on the list who finds themselves (or lives) in Phoenix ...

Take Care,

Mark

[---------]

Website:      retrobbs.org

---

From: "Ed Sharpe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 16 11:51:00 2003

Hi Mark!

It would be tricky to carry the Imsai on the plane as carry on luggage!

I remember the  good ol' pre 911 days  when I would walk on the plane  with
whimhurst  machines, pieces of old radar sets... etc.... ( whimhurst machine
makes static electricity.... has  counter revolving glass plates lyden jars
stc....)

You are welcome to stop by, the  July - aug timeframe is our  main
construction time here at the museum but if there are  safe paths happy to
show you though!

Here in Arizona of course we have opposite tourist seasons from he rest of
the  world it seems.... winter good  summer  echchch  ( 116 degrees the
other day)  so summer time is  work on the building and displays time. to
get ready for September October!

Thank you for the invitation Mark, may not make the event on Sat. night as I
am usually  by the end of the day pretty grimy, dehydrated and tired! but...
please do stop by and visit.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Mark Firestone" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 2:17 AM
Subject: Re: Commodore CBM/PET in Terminator 3

> > > >you can spot 3 PETs. One Chicklet PET, a Super PET 9000 and a CBM
8032
> >with
> > > > >> Anyone else spot that one near the end of the movie?  It was one
of
> >the

---

From: John Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 16 13:01:00 2003

Hey Ed - are you going to be travelling up to the Fort Tuthill Annual Ham
Swapmeet in Flagstaff this year? (July 25th, 26, 27th)  If so, I and
Marvin Johnston will be there.  Last year we got some good classiccmp type
items - also brought a load to sell.

  This invite also goes out to other interested classiccmpers. I'll also
publish an announcement shortly.

  <usual small rant _on>

> > >From: "Mark Firestone" <[email-masked]>

  Hey Guyz - not to squelch List traffic, nor appear to be a NetCop - but
d'ya think it might be possible to try and

  TRIM  YER  DAMN  REPLY CASCADES????

  I mean, 152 lines of triple-posted reply threads, including three copies
of somebody's asinine sig... and I read all this, already, already,
already.

 Please be aware that some of us (me included) read the list via an ASCII
terminal emulator under a Unix shell account - and that more than one of
our Listmembers in Countries Other Than the US (remember them?) pay for
thier Internet access *By The Byte*...  so this really pisses them off.

</rant>

 Cheerz

John

---

From: "Ed Sharpe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 16 13:41:01 2003

Hi!

Have not gone in years...
may not make it this year although the thrill of hunting for  more stuff and
meeting some of you would be interesting!

ed

---

From: Mark Firestone <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 18 02:12:00 2003

I'll stop by.  It must be fifteen years sense I ran into you last....  Wow...

I'm sure they'd have that poor computer in bits, (heh, pun intended) and 
still wouldn't let me on the plane with it.  I wonder if I could get away 
with checked baggage...  I tried that with a big clock in a duffel bag at 
Manchester (UK) airport, years ago.  I got all my bags emptied in front of 
me for the trouble.

"Tell me about this clock, sir."

It was obviously not a terrorist device, didn't have sticks of dynamite 
attached, or anything.  I bet it's twice as bad now!

Ed, tell us about this picture, for the web site and all!

http://retrobbs.org/pictures/edsharpe/edsharpe.html

[---------]

Website:      retrobbs.org

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 20 13:15:00 2003

> Manchester (UK) airport, years ago.  I got all my bags emptied in front of

I brought a rather large East German computer from Germany to the US in
November of 2001.  I got pulled aside in the UK just before boarding my
transfer flight to answer questions about it.  I had to open the boxes
and show the security personnel what was inside.  I explained who I was
and what I did, and after looking for a bit they must've concluded I
wasn't a terrorist and sent me on my way.

(At least they held the plane for me :)

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 20 15:42:00 2003

>(At least they held the plane for me :)

   I visited Kansas last year and meet up with Gary Hildebrand and he
showed me some of the local computer sources. In Topeka I found a black
Bell&Howell Apple II at a scrap place. I bought it and brought it home with
me. At the KC airport they inspected my bags and the Apple II. They wanted
to send me over to a maintenance area to have them disassemble the computer
so that they could inspect it. Luckily the cover just pops off the Apple II
so I was able to open it up and show them that there was nothing inside. I
guess they haven't discovered X-ray machines in KC yet!

  Joe

---

From: Mark Firestone <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 07:30:00 2003

They had computers in East Germany?  Wow.  What was it, some sort of Soviet 
PDP clone or something?

At 11:05 20/07/2003 -0700, Sellam Ismail

[---------]

Website:      retrobbs.org

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 10:01:00 2003

> They had computers in East Germany?  Wow.  What was it, some sort of Soviet

They had computers throughout the former Soviet Union.  You'd be amazed at
the number of clones of western computers that were produced, not to
mention original designs throughout the Union in the various satellite
states.

The computer I got was by a company called Robotron, which was a fairly
large East German computer manufacturer.  They did indeed produce a clone
of the PDP-11.  One of these systems is on display at the Computer History
Museum.

The computer I have is a Robotron A5120.  It's based on a cloned 8080
microprocessor.  It has an 8" floppy disks built into the cabinet along
with the CRT.  It's a heavy beast.  I also got an additional chassis with
two more 8" drives, plus the main computer had a naked 5.25" rigged up to
it.

Here's a website with more information (in Deutsch) and a picture of what
it looks like.  The one I have is the one on the left.

http://www.robotron-net.de/pc_s.html

Scroll down for even more cool designs.

--

---

From: Tom Uban <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 10:14:01 2003

Please tell me (us) more about the PDP-11 clones? Do you have any
model numbers, pictures, or web sites for them?

--tom

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 13:22:00 2003

> mention original designs throughout the Union in the various satellite

about a decade ago, when Lee Felsenstein was doing his campaign to
liberate Russia by giving the people microcomputers, ...
I did some disk format conversion of some Russian microcomputer disks from
a machine that was either made by Okidata, or copied from it.  I never saw
the computer itself, just the diskettes.  They had some Oki BIOS code in
track 0 (boot track), but with messsages tranlated into Russian and padded
out to replace the previous message.  They used a MICROS~1 "Stand-Alone
BASIC" directory structure, like what NEC did, that later got modified
into the Coco directory.  (and which was what inspired Patterson to use
the F.A.T. system in DOS, and the 400K/800K Mac directory structure)

--
Fred Cisin                      [email-masked]
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com
PO Box 1236                     (510) 558-9366
Berkeley, CA 94701-1236

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 13:28:00 2003

> model numbers, pictures, or web sites for them?

I don't have much more information, but here's a photo of the beast at the
CHM:

http://www.digibarn.com/history/first-chm-visit/Image24.jpg

Once Hans Franke is back and catches up with his messages then he may be
able to provide some more data.

--