Subject: Re: Panasonic KXP4400 Laser Printer

From: "Dwight K. Elvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 19:52:00 2003

Hi Sellam
 A while back there was one of these that Patrick Rigney
responded to. He got no reply from that person. I have also
replied to one such mail without a response.
 It seems to be a real slow way of fishing for email addresses
but maybe that is what it is. It surely is funny since,
so far, these seem to be bogus. The questions they ask sound
like they almost know what they are doing but they are often
right on the edge of being incorrect questions.
 I don't see what they are up to. Maybe this is used to create
an exclusive list for the Nigerian letters. I get more of these
now at this mail address then I do with my hotmail account.
I'm only on two mail groups with this account. My hotmail is
bursting with offers to enhance or reduce various parts of
my body.
 I can't think why anyone smart enough to work on classic computers
would be stupid enough to fall for one of these scams. I've
even started replying to some of these scammers to let them know that
their email address harvesting methods were being used by so many
other scammers that they were most likely worthless. I do this
in the hopes that they'll find some other method that doesn't
include me.
Dwight

>From: "Vintage Computer Festival" <[email-masked]>
>
>On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Hanan Friedman wrote:
>
>> I have the same drum problem. I appreciate very much if you could help me on
>> advise of how to put the printer into Service Mode and reset the page
>> counter to 00000
>
>I've noticed in the past few weeks a lot of messages from newbies that
>don't seem to be subscribed to the list, but who are responding to old
>messages or just posting general questions and such.  Was the list address
>posted as some sort of open help forum in some news article or something?
>
>Or is this just the magic of Google?
>
>-- 
>
>Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
>------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org
>
> * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 20:08:00 2003

I have been getting alot of nigerian letters lately, something I really
never got in the past at all.

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 23:22:00 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, TeoZ wrote:
> > I don't see what they are up to. Maybe this is used to create an
> > exclusive list for the Nigerian letters. I get more of these now at
> > this mail address then I do with my hotmail account. I'm only on two
> > mail groups with this account. My hotmail is bursting with offers to
> > enhance or reduce various parts of my body.
> > would be stupid enough to fall for one of these scams. I've even
> > started replying to some of these scammers to let them know that their
> > email address harvesting methods were being used by so many other
> > scammers that they were most likely worthless. I do this in the hopes
> > that they'll find some other method that doesn't include me.
>

I've been getting them regularly too, mostly all from the same spammer, at
least from the looks of the headers. I've also had one spammer sending me
ads quite often, but the admin over his service does not seem to be
willing to take action. I didn't get any spam at all until I started
posting to classiccmp, and I suspect my address got harvested early on.
The volume of spam hasn't increased too much, but even 2-3/day tends to be
annoying.

-Toth

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 24 01:09:00 2003

> The volume of spam hasn't increased too much, but even 2-3/day tends to be

When you get 20-30 per hour then it tends to annoy you quite dramatically.

--

---

From: "Peter C. Wallace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 24 09:37:00 2003

> When you get 20-30 per hour then it tends to annoy you quite dramatically.

One word: Spamassassin

Peter Wallace

---

From: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 24 22:39:01 2003

With all this talk about Virtual Libraries, (I'm for them
as long as the paper source is offered up to the list
before discard*) a question comes to mind.

Anybody offer a scanner that goes directly to disk, 
possibly via TWAIN over USB?  Seems possible
since there are digital camera solutions that do that.
My dad wants to do scanning and is computer shy...
the idea is that I would visit him semiregularly and 
offload/OCR/organize his work then.
This would involve the destruction of NO manuals.

John A.
*And the Librarian replicates the 
storage to prudent backup media.

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 24 23:02:00 2003

Get the guy an old mac with an old scsi scanner. The OS doesnt need wiped
every year like windows, if he moves directories around it wont kill the
apps, no registyr problems etc. Those classic 68k/early PCI macs are SO easy
to get around on he should not have much of a problem (give away cheap too).
Just make sure he has an OS drive he should not touch and a work drive he
can do whatever he wants on. You can get him some older editing apps for
next to nothing on ebay. You really need the monitor screen to specify the
area that gets captured, to make sure it came in nicely, and to make sure
you dont have duplicates. Most older people who are computer shy are just
intimidated with newer computers that have tons of icons all over the place,
the classic mac interface and clean desktop isnt as intimidating. You also
dont have to worry about driver problems since everything on the older macs
have built in drivers or like scsi are auto detected on bootup.

No I am not a mac fanatic. I am very computer literate mostly from PC's but
for some users who dont want to even know about the hardware an old mac is
the way to get them started enjoying computers.

TZ

---

From: Philip Pemberton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 25 02:35:00 2003

In message <[email-masked]>

> One word: Spamassassin
Cheap-o PC + Slackware Linux + ADSL Modem + ECIADSL driver + Ethernet card
           + SpamAssassin  = Lovely little router that rids you of spam ;)

Later.
-- 
Phil.                              | Acorn Risc PC600 Mk3, SA202, 64MB, 6GB,
[email-masked]              | video mods, 10BaseT (i3 EtherLAN600),
http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/  | 8xCD, framegrabber, teletext
... Puddy-tat's not so bwave in Gwanny's microwave!