Subject: Restore Disk Question

From: Gene Ehrich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 18 13:59:00 2003

I got this from a friend. Does anybody know the answer?

=================================

I have a MAC Performa 550.  Somehow my son has crashed the hard drive to the
point where the computer no longer thinks there is a hard drive.

Does the recovery CD allow you to boot off the CD?  I have a
utilities diskette but it won't restore off the backup diskettes since the
computer thinks there is no hard drive any longer.

=================================
Gene Ehrich
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

---

From: Cameron Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 18 14:25:01 2003

> computer thinks there is no hard drive any longer.

It should. Try holding down combinations like Command-Option-Shift-Delete
on start up (yes, this takes some practise), or if you're lucky, try holding
down the C key (I don't know if this works on that model). Obviously, the
factory CD must be in the internal CD drive.

What may have simply happened is the system folder somehow got unblessed.
If the system fires up, and the hard disk looks okay (run Disk First Aid
just to be sure), try manually reblessing the system folder by dragging the
System file out to the desktop, dropping it there (release the mouse
button), and then drag it back.

One other possibility is bad PRAM, which can be zapped with
Command-Option-P-R. This resets most system settings.

-- 
---------------------------------- personal: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * [email-masked]
-- The world is not enough. ---------------------------------------------------