Subject: Re: Mac Net dummy Q's

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 31 19:20:00 2003

>  Desktop
>   +- Apple
>       +- Control Panel
>           +- Sharing Setup
>                ('Start' was selected, reboot)

No need to reboot after starting File Sharing, and in fact, rebooting can 
cause the file sharing to be turned back off. So first step, go back into 
the Sharing Setup control panel, and make sure the Start button says 
"Stop" (if it says "Start" then click it again, and wait for file sharing 
to startup, the button will change to Stop when it is up and running)

>Now, where is the remote drive
>supposed to show up on the local system?

In the remote computer's Chooser, under AppleShare.

If you don't see the server there, make sure both computers' AppleTalk 
control panel is set to use the Printer Port, and that AppleTalk is 
turned on (and make sure the serial TeleNet connectors are plugged into 
the Printer port and not the Modem port).

Also, on the TeleNet connectors, make sure there is a terminator in the 
unused phone jack on each. I don't remember if the ones I gave you have 
termination switches on the side, if they do, just make sure it is set to 
ON (if it is, then you don't need a terminator in the 2nd jack... I know 
either they have they switches or I gave you terminators... I don't think 
I would have been brain dead enough to give you them without a way to 
terminate them)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>