Subject: Article on computer collecting in today's Guardian (IUK)

From: John Honniball <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 4 16:01:01 2003

Just a quick note to point out the article by Christine Finn in
today's Guardian newspaper:

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,3604,906984,00.html

It's on page 7, in the G2 section, if you have the paper version.
Big photo of Sellam's collection, and one of Sellam himself.
Small mention of my collection, too.

--
John Honniball
[email-masked]

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 21:52:00 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of John Honniball
> Sent: 04 March 2003 21:59
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Article on computer collecting in today's Guardian (IUK)
>
>

Bah - if I'd known that was coming up I'd have asked them to print, in big
letters, "GIVE BINARYDINOSAURS A PERMANENT HOME" :) All I need to find is a
rich benefactor who has tons of spare space and is into vintage computing
and I'll be sorted!

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans

---

From: Luis Gomez <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 03:06:00 2003

I have a Sharp PC-2500 Personal Computer with integrated plotter and LCD display. It's like a PC-1360 calculator. There is a ploblem in the integrated DC power board and is imposible power on the computer. I'm using a DC 6V PSU. I need the board schema or know if somebody has the same problem and know how can i solve it.

Regards.

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 13 14:48:59 2003

Hi folks,

Here you go:

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/Digital/infoserver.htm

:)

cheers

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 12:16:16 2003

Mornin' folks,

Courtesy of a nice chap in Ireland clearing out his shed I'm now the proud
owner of:

Grundy Newbrain AD
Newbrain Disk Controller
Newbrain Expansion Interface
Newbrain Expansion Interface (x2) that looks like a disk controller but I
haven't opened 'em up yet :)
3 PSUs but 2 have been robbed of parts.
4x Microbee II by Microworld.

Unfortunately the Newbrain is toast (garbled message on the flourescent
display and nothing on either the composite or RF outputs) but maybe with
Tony's help I might be able ro resurrect it; I've also found someone who
admits to being one of the technical troubleshooters of the 3 wire-wrapped
prototypes, which may be handy. Said troubleshooter also worked on the
Enterprise 64, so THAT might be handy too :)

The Microbee was one of Australia's more popular micros, particularly with
schools, before the Apple ][ stomped all over its market. It also sold well
in Sweden, which is apparently where these units came from. Z80 based with
32K RAM and, surprisingly, a non-microsloth BASIC in ROM along with a word
processor called WordBee. This model also apparently has limited graphics
capabilities, but it wasn't until later that models featured colour, decent
graphics and CP/M compatibility.

In a pre-Amscrap fashion, the video, cassette AND power all came from one
5-pin DIN plug and a wiring harness that resembles a cat-o-nine-tails,
according to the pic on the back of the one boxed unit I've got, and I don't
have any, or PSUs. Shouldn't be too hard to find out what goes where though,
and I've got feelers out on aus.* newsgroups to see if anyone's got spares.

The hurriedly-assembled Newbrain page is already up and I'll do the Microbee
one today, if anyone wants pix.

cheers

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 20 13:19:06 2003

Hi folks,

Got this from a contractor working for the navy; how he found me before he
found any other place that collects DEC stuff I don't know :)

Replies to email address he's given me ([email-masked]),
particularly as I don't know what the DRMO is! Pity there won't be any disks
in that haul 'cos I could really do with some RZ29Bs....oh well. 'Course, it
might also just be PCs.

------
realname: CECIL FINLEY
email: [email-masked]
message: I'm a contractor for the US gov't and they are in the process of
getting rid of a load of DEC equipement.  You could get these items through
the DRMO, but you'd have to pick them up and ship them personally.  Contact:
[email-masked] for further details.
------

cheers