Subject: Windows 1.0 Prices are Crazy

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 17:42:00 2003

This first one has end with 1.0 going for over $1000 and the second ends on
the 18th and is at over $900. Glad I got mine here for under $3.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3404079329&category=11229
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3406355260&category=11229

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 19:18:00 2003

I dont think bill gates himself would pay  $1859 for windows 1.01 if his
copies got lost.

---

From: Kevin Handy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 19:33:01 2003

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3406355260&category=11229
Did you notice that the box with the bent corners is the one with
the higher price?

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 20:30:01 2003

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3406355260&category=11229
Like anyone needed ever more proof that your average windows user is dumb
as a rock and more gullible than even PT Barnum could dream of.

g.

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 15 10:16:00 2003

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3406355260&category=11229

Even more unbelievable when you consider someone paid $1,859 for the worst
"GUI" operating system ever made.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 15 10:20:00 2003

> as a rock and more gullible than even PT Barnum could dream of.

Watch out Gene, you may hurt the feelings of someone in the "Windows 1.0"
collector world and get a barnacle that will latch onto every word you say
and mysteriously pop-up every time you make any further comment on
anything having to do with Windows 1.0 ;)

--

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 15 12:28:00 2003

>anything having to do with Windows 1.0 ;)
Hehe.  I'm not worried about it.  I'm a BOFH with a full set of 
Intercontinental LARTs. :)

vi forever!  <dives off stage>

g.

---

From: "Philip Pemberton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 15 14:08:00 2003

> vi forever!  <dives off stage>
VIM and Linux forever! <dives into flameproof bomb shelter>

Later.
-- 
Phil.
[email-masked]
http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/

---

From: "Jim Kearney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 15 18:13:00 2003

> vi forever!  <dives off stage>

Speaking of vi, I have something neat here in front of me... Bill Joy's
personal copy of the vi 2.6 source with 2.7 changes hand annotated.  I got
it from him at Berkeley in the early 80's not long before he left his
'permanent grad student' status to co-found Sun.  My hazy recollection is
that I asked him for the sources of ex/vi and of the Berkeley Pascal
compiler (that he also wrote) and he pulled it off the shelf and handed it
to me.  As a lowly undergrad I didn't have online access to stuff like that,
or at least things weren't as findable as they are today.

Obligatory historical notes: most of the public terminals at UCB then were
ADM-3's, almost dumb as rocks, thus the modal ASCII command set and slow
serial optimized screen updates.  The screen module was pulled outby Ken
Arnold, one of my classmates, cleaned up and became curses, motivated almost
entirely by the needs of rogue and mille bourne.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:28:59 2003

Didn't they come with older versions of Aldus Pagemaker?

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 14:55:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "cctech@classiccmp" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 8:15 PM
Subject: Re: Windows 1.0 Prices are Crazy

The very first version of Windows (1.?) I saw was included WITH Aldus
PageMaker and was set up to automatically run windows and start PageMaker.
When the user exited PageMaker, Windows shut down.

As we know now, this is easy to do (start windows running an app), but the
point here is that PageMaker was the product sold - Windows was included as
the run-time environment. I had never seen an advertisement for Windows at
the time I saw PageMaker.

Stuart Johnson