Subject: free pc stuff (Salford, UK)

From: "Rob O'Donnell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 26 10:23:01 2003

Hi, am trying to do a clear-out, and have a hefty box containing the
following available FOC to anybody who wants to collect it, from Salford,
UK, else it goes in the bin...  There is nothing particularly noteworthy
here, btw, but it might interest someone.

10 x 486 motherboards, some with processors, at least one with RAM. AT form 
factor.
6 x Pentium 1 motherboards, AT form factor
1 x Socket 7 motherboard, ATX form factor. works sometimes..
4 x ISA internal modems
1 x PCI internal modem
1 x ISA game port card.

All are from stipped down PCs, so may or may not work (though apart from
the ATX board, I'd be pretty confident of them.)

Also have a mountain of Floppy and IDE (ata33) cables whomever can pick
through.  I'll also probably be adding to this pile as I work my way 
through the boxes.  I know there are processors and RAM of similar vintage, 
not to
mention SCSI cards, network and video, etc, I can add to it.  I have cases
and some (working but 'need adjustment') monitors too I can throw in.

If anybody is interested, drop me an email on robert at irrelevant dot com 
or ring on 07801 809928.  I don't want to get into mailing individual bits out
I am afraid, this is mainly an effort to make some space so I can work on
a new bedroom! :-)

regards

Rob.

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 27 02:47:00 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Rob O'Donnell wrote:

> following available FOC to anybody who wants to collect it, from
> Salford, UK, else it goes in the bin...  There is nothing particularly
> noteworthy here, btw, but it might interest someone.

Darn, on the wrong side of the pond :/

> 10 x 486 motherboards, some with processors, at least one with RAM. AT
> form factor.

I've been talking about this off-list for awhile now, but I might as well
mention something here too. I've been playing with the idea of building a
Mosix or similar distributed CPU project from old (obsolete? whats that?
:) 386/486/Pentium boards. I drew up a CAD design for a rack that can hold
12 such boards on edge. The design uses right angle ISA adapters to allow
NICs to be plugged into the motherboards.

> I know there are processors and RAM of similar vintage, not to mention
> SCSI cards, network and video, etc, I can add to it.

-------
Recycled text from an older email:
(Maybe I should put up a better list on web page?)

I am looking for certain bits of odd, or in some cases very common PC
hardware if you happen to come across much in the way of used PC stuff. I
use such boards for driver development/testing for Linux, BSD, etc for
older hardware when time permits. Since I don't make money from working
with free drivers, I can't afford to spend much on the hardware, but I am
happy to cover shipping costs. [Of course, there is a limit to what I can
afford, so if lots of people contact me, I may have to ask about putting
some things on hold...]

The kinds of boards I'm always looking for are:

  S3 chipset based video boards, ISA, EISA, VLB, PCI
  Other older ISA, EISA, VLB, PCI video boards (*except* most 'trident'
  chipset)
  Promise Technology caching controllers, ISA, EISA, VLB, etc
  Promise Technology (other boards)
  BusTek, BusLogic, Mylex [all the same company] SCSI controllers
  Adaptec SCSI controllers (practically any type)
  Madge Token Ring cards
  Token Ring cards (3Com, IBM, etc)
  SMC Arcnet and Ethernet cards (some originally made by Western Digital)

The more "unusual" cards are also often helpful, including boards with
EISA or MCA interfaces. Some old motherboards and such are also quite
helpful, such as old multi-processor types.

In addition to the kind of hardware above that I can use for driver
development and testing, 3Com Etherlink III cards of most any type are
always helpful. I tend to give lots of those away to local schools and
such, as they are very reliable and were (are?) extremely popular cards.
-------

-Toth

---

From: John Boffemmyer IV <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:45:02 2003

Damn, and the SCSI/RAM/CPU's/etc. sounded good for a minute. Too bad it's 
in UK. Shipping would be a nightmare.
-John

At 11:18 AM 4/26/2003, you wrote:
>through the boxes.  I know there are processors and RAM of similar 
>vintage, not to

----------------------------------------
Founder, Lead Writer, Tech Analyst
and Web Designer Boff-Net Technologies
http://boff-net.dhs.org/index.html
---------------------------------------

---

From: John Boffemmyer IV <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:45:59 2003

Wrong side of the pond is right, I was thinking the same thing (another 
working AT board with CPU would be great to fix a machine who's board ate 
itself). Toth, where are ya? I've got my Token Ring which has sat here on 
the back burner pile since I've been dealing with other things. DB9 to 
Vampire connector cables (8ft), an IBM 8228, a 3Com LinkBuilder FMS TR 12, 
a Bay Networks BayStack Token Ring Hub 504 series 24port with MDA Fiber 
card and Network Management Module, an old AT case, some not-really working 
AT 386/486/Pentium boards, an ISA Cirrus Logic video card (worked as of 3 
months ago when I last used it), etc. I even have a couple EISA Adaptec 
1742 (?) cards floating about. Note: The Token Ring NICs are all PCI and 
are IBM and Madge, save one: an ISA Ring Adapter card that has BOTH ISA and 
MCA edges (just flip a daughtercard/backplate). Nothing to spare on NICs or 
PCI/ISA SCSI though, since they are used in my other boxes. Yours for 
shipping and maybe some LED's/kits? can never go wrong with blinky lights 
and loud fans, heh. All in all told, probably 2 boxes of stuff, weighing in 
at about 30-40 pounds. UPS ground/USPS last I checked to most lower 48 
states locations is under $35. Talk more off-list and I can give you a 
better number.
-John

john at boff-net dot dhs dot org

---------------------------------