Subject: Iomega floppy tape drives + software

From: Jules Richardson<[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 15 09:42:01 2003

hi all,

I stumbled across a load of old QIC 80 tapes of mine today and got curious as
to what might be on some of them. I managed to dig out the relevant tape drive
from storage (it's an Iomega drive - 3.5" bay sized - with a floppy interface;
slow as hell from what I remember!)

I haven't used this thing for years but plugged it into a machine running NT4.0
- amazingly NT detected it and has installed low-level drivers for it, so I'm
hopeful that the drive will still work. Of course I have no software for NT
that'll read the format on the tapes...

Problem - can't find the relevant DOS software either. I probably chucked the
floppies a few years back knowing me :-)

I do remember way back (actually would have been 1993 or so - just on topic for
the list!) using another vendor's software under DOS though. Software was for
the Jumbo series or drives that were around at the same time; different vendor
but it worked with the Iomega drive too. Not that I can find a floppy with that
on either :-)

Anyone got one of these drives or a pointer to the software on the 'net? No
problem booting the machine under DOS to access the tape drive - I doubt
there's any (free) NT software around that'll read the format on those tapes.
That's assuming the information on them hasn't vanished anyway of course...

cheers

Jules

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

---

From: Jules Richardson<[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 15 15:08:00 2003

Message: 38
Subject: Re: Iomega floppy tape drives + software
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:23:30 -0400
From: chris <[email-masked]>
To: "Classic Computers" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]

> >Anyone got one of these drives or a pointer to the software on the 'net?
> I have an old Iomega 250 tape drive, also uses a floppy interface. I
> think I still have the original software for it.

problem solved as it happens - but thanks anyway! Turns out I'd been clever and
stuck an image of the software disk onto CD - I just found it by chance whilst
hunting some other stuff out.

(the disadvantage of list digest mode - I had to wait until I got the digest
with my post in before I could reply, as I couldn't remember the subject line
:-)

cheers

Jules