Subject: Re: "The Mark-8 was an Intel 8008" was Re: I thought the Univac was expensive

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 3 12:05:01 2003

>I have used other pics to sell something identical but I always mention 
>it. I 
>don't think that a problem generally. 

I agree that the simple fact of reusing pics isn't a huge issue. But he 
ALSO reused text... which also isn't a huge issue by itself (I bought a 
very nice Netopia router that simply used the info page from Netopia's 
web site, photo text and all).

BUT... this guy slightly modified the text, in relation to the "value" of 
the unit. The original web site's text claimed the value at $12,000... he 
changed it to $17,000 on the ebay listing. So right there he is being 
less than honest.

Also, which is the unit for sale? The Mark-8 or the 5100 precursor? The 
original web site seems to indicate they are two different units simply 
being displayed next to each other. But the ebay listing looks like it is 
trying to say the Mark-8 is for sale.

All in all... I would have to think this is a bogus listing, or at the 
very least, a dishonest listing (ie: maybe there is a Mark-8 for sale, 
but it is probably beaten to peices and totally non functional)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 3 12:27:00 2003

Hello Chris,

 > The Mark-8 or the 5100 precursor?

You know when I read that, I noticed that it never actually said anything was
for sale. Not in the title or description. It just said something like "The 
Mark-8
was an Intel 8008 based machine with 256 bytes RAM. It was introduced
in July 1974 ..."

Best Regards

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 3 15:51:00 2003

> but it is probably beaten to peices and totally non functional)

Or, my conclusion is that the guy is a complete idiot.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *