Subject: An on-topic machine *still* doing useful work

From: [email-masked] (Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner)
Date: Thu Mar 27 22:57:00 2003

I thought you guys might enjoy the following photographs of a 486 based
NCR 3230 that is *still* in use, as a colocated server running a dozen
websites (including mine [1]) and email:

              http://www.conman.org/people/myg/photos/tower486/

  The photos were taken by my friend (who happened to stop the colocation
facility for another reason).

  The machine in question was given to me in 1998 in the hopes that I could
use it, so one minimal installation of RedHat 5.2 (kernel is now Linux
2.0.39) later and it's colocated, running my website (and over the years, an
accumulation of websites of various friends) with an uptime (as of this
writing) of:

[spc]tower:~>uptime
 11:48pm  up 357 days,  1:05,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.14, 0.13
[spc]tower:~>

  (Holy cow!  Eight more days and I'll have a bona-fide year up time on
this!  Didn't realize I was that close).

  I should say that the machine has been running in this capacity since I
received it in late '98 without a major problem (In '99 or so I added a
second 17G harddrive to the system since the 162MB drive it came with is a
*wee* bit small for its intended uses).

  -spc (In fact, I run elm on that system to check my email ... )

---

From: [email-masked] (Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner)
Date: Thu Mar 27 23:23:01 2003

> websites (including mine [1]) and email:

  Oops, forgot the footnote!

[1]	http://www.conman.org/

  -spc (Personal pages at http://www.conman.org/people/spc/)

---

From: Robert Borsuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 08:11:00 2003

Hey,
    I have the exact same machine  except mine says AT&T Globalyst 515. 
I guess somebody was OEMing them out.  I had about 40 of these units 
that I took into my TEC class and let the kids tear apart and build 
there own systems. I kept one for myself as a souvenir. I got all of 
those for free too.
Rob

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 11:54 PM, Sean 'Captain Napalm' Conner 

>   -spc (In fact, I run elm on that system to check my email ... )
Robert Borsuk - [email-masked]
President
Colourfull Creations
http://www.colourfull.com