Subject: Re: Varian Data Machines

From: Al Kossow <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 16 14:27:00 2003

I got a Varian(Univac) Data Machines 620L100 in very good conditions 
including a fixed-head disk, a teletype and a Tektronix storage display. 
This machines is dated to 1974.

--

Is it an ADAPTS system (is there an A/D panel just below the CPU) ?

I have one. It is very likely that there is a lab oriented BASIC
(possibly still in core!)

If there is any way to save the contents of memory before you fiddle
with trying programs, it would be a GOOD THING. I haven't touched
my machine because I don't want to destroy what may be the only copy
of that program.

I would also suggest not spinning up the disc right away.

I assume you aren't getting any documentation or external software
with it?

---

From: Andreas Holz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 03:51:00 2003

>This machines is dated to 1974.
Al,

it was a system connected to a mass-spectometer, so it might be, that 
something like this "lab orientated basic" might be still in core.

There is no A/D panel just below the CPU. If you are interested, I could 
make some images.

I got a lot of manuals and schematics - I'll prepare a list. Since my 
brother got a powerful scanner at work, he might be able to scan the 
documents, which are not at your site already.

Which steps in powering on the machine you would suggest?

Andreas