Subject: RE: Preserving ancient media

From: "Hills, Paul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 09:57:52 2003

Answering my own question, (and if anyone else is interested), there is a
utility here: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~edsa/#kcs that will make WAV
files ine Kansas City Standard, or CUTS standard, from any input file, that
can be recorded to a tape. It can also decode audio WAV files into data.
Comes with documentation too, and looks pretty good.

paul

-----Original Message-----
From: David Holland [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 17 May 2003 02:36
To: Classic Computer Talk
Subject: RE: Preserving ancient media

The following MIGHT be a good place to start:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Ridge/9965/

ZXTAPE 3.0   Its directed towards the zx81, but it could 
be applicable to your application.    Dunno. I've a feeling every
computers tape format is different, though.

David

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 03:25, Hills, Paul wrote:
> I have quite a bit of software on cassette tapes for 1980s home computers.
> Does anyone know of a simple method (without having to design and build
> myself a dual-tone decoder circuit + write suitable PC software) of
getting
> this information onto a PC? I guess the home computer emulator pages on
the
> web must have done this.
> 
> Maybe I could record it as a WAV file then write a program to decode the
> WAV? Or would MP3 encoding be capable of compressing and reliable
expanding
> the audio data (MP3 is of course designed to compress music which these
> squeaks and whistles clearly are not, even if they lie within the audio
> spectrum!).
> 
> paul