Subject: Jupiter Computer (No Not the ACE)

From: "peter tremewen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 1 16:19:00 2003

Hi all,

        I have in my hands a "Jupiter" computer and am wondering if you can
offer any info on it? It is not the Jupiter ACE home computer, but a much
earlier very large and obviously fairly old rack mounted system. The computer
is based on the 68010 CPU. I can't determine how much memory it has on board,
but there are more than several banks of 4164 mem chips which if I remember is
a 64kbit dynamic Ram device. The huge keyboard is attached via a missing
multipair cable and has two joysticks on either side. The monitor has separate
RGB and Sync cables, each of which are generated using separate discrete
component boards in the chassis. Inside the chassis are two huge Vertex hard
drives, and a 3.5 in floppy, each connected to their discrete driver boards,
Z80 based.

        On the front of the computer is "Jupiter". Model number is J12CHAS and
Man date is "514". It was manufactured in Berkeley C.A. USA. The serial number
is "Jup.S.N. 12C-1025-AA". I basically found it all on a curbside and couldn't
resist adding it too my rather small but now growing collection. If you need
any further info to help with identification let me know, I'll see what I more
I can get from the chassis.

        Maybe I'm insane and have just picked up what most would consider
total junk, but I personally think that systems such as this are worth
preserving. I haven't been brave enough to switch the damn thing on yet, with
all that discrete hardware it will probably double my power bill with about a
minutes use. However I love all this old stuff, and worse comes to worse at
least their are some interesting discrete components in it. If you need or
would like a photo let me know, I'm a freelance photographer and will take a
few shots anyway, so when I do I'll pass some scans on to you.

                Peter T.

---

From: "Hills, Paul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 3 08:13:30 2003

Sorry, I can't help you with your identification, but must point out that it
can't be MUCH earlier than the Jupiter Ace, since both the Ace and the
MC68010 processor were released in 1983, so the computer you have can be at
most a few months earlier, and probably more recent since the Jupiter Ace
ran for a shorter time than the 68010!

Some CAD stations have multiple joysticks, also video editing consoles, or
even studio music production equipment. Could it be something like that? Is
there any clue from the location you found it (on the kerbside outside what
building???).

You may get more clues if you switch it on and see what comes up on the
monitor!

Good luck
paul

-----Original Message-----
From: peter tremewen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 01 June 2003 22:18
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Jupiter Computer (No Not the ACE)

Hi all,

        I have in my hands a "Jupiter" computer and am wondering if you can
offer any info on it? It is not the Jupiter ACE home computer, but a much
earlier very large and obviously fairly old rack mounted system. The
computer
is based on the 68010 CPU. I can't determine how much memory it has on
board,
but there are more than several banks of 4164 mem chips which if I remember
is
a 64kbit dynamic Ram device. The huge keyboard is attached via a missing
multipair cable and has two joysticks on either side. The monitor has
separate
RGB and Sync cables, each of which are generated using separate discrete
component boards in the chassis. Inside the chassis are two huge Vertex hard
drives, and a 3.5 in floppy, each connected to their discrete driver boards,
Z80 based.

        On the front of the computer is "Jupiter". Model number is J12CHAS
and
Man date is "514". It was manufactured in Berkeley C.A. USA. The serial
number
is "Jup.S.N. 12C-1025-AA". I basically found it all on a curbside and
couldn't
resist adding it too my rather small but now growing collection. If you need
any further info to help with identification let me know, I'll see what I
more
I can get from the chassis.

        Maybe I'm insane and have just picked up what most would consider
total junk, but I personally think that systems such as this are worth
preserving. I haven't been brave enough to switch the damn thing on yet,
with
all that discrete hardware it will probably double my power bill with about
a
minutes use. However I love all this old stuff, and worse comes to worse at
least their are some interesting discrete components in it. If you need or
would like a photo let me know, I'm a freelance photographer and will take a
few shots anyway, so when I do I'll pass some scans on to you.

                Peter T.