Subject: RE: JetDirect EX print server

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 09:26:00 2003

>>From the manual:

<snip>

Thanks!

>Chris, what OS are you using with the JDEX? The manual mentions IP address 
>only with UNIX. Run hpnpcfg to create the BOOTP configuration files, 
>specifying the IP address. The configuration info is downloaded from BOOTP 
>each time the JDEX is powered on.

Right now, no OS because I can't get it on the network without it 
erroring. I do have a DHCP server that claims it is giving it an IP, but 
I can't tell if the device is actually accepting it.

I do have HP's firmware utility on Win2k, but it can't see the device 
(but it also can't see any of my working JetDirect internal servers 
unless I tell it what specific IP to look at... its auto discovery 
feature doesn't seem to work). I also have HP's LaserJet Utility on a Mac 
which also can't see the device.

I'm going to look into the hpnpcfg app you mention above, and see if I 
can create a BootP file for it. Maybe my DHCP server isn't giving it what 
it wants as a BootP response and it is getting confused. (my DHCP server 
doesn't fully do BootP, rather it responds to a BootP request with an IP, 
but it can't handle config file downloads, so I might need to run 
something that can).

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: David Woyciesjes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 09:39:00 2003

chris wrote:
> unless I tell it what specific IP to look at...

	Chris, do you have a crossover ethernet cable handy? Try using that to
connect the JetDirect box directly to the NIC on the Win2K box, and see
if that helps. That way you eliminate any interference for any other
device on the network.
	Of course if your Win2K box gets a IP address from the DHCP server,
you'll need to switch it to a static address... But since they'll be
isolated, it won't matter what address you give it.

--
---   Dave Woyciesjes
---   ICQ# 905818