Subject: Fwd: RE: 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64

From: "Lance S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:54:00 2003

Chandra,
The 8250 does hook up to a Commodore PET but the stats seem quite different 
between the 8050 and 8250. I can't seem to find a pic on the net of an 8250 
but the drives are side by side.

(see http://www.classic-games.com/commodore64/drives.html)

----Original Message Follows----
From: "Chandra Bajpai" <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 07:45:45 -0400

Lance....Does this look like 8050 that hooks up to a Commodore PET?
-Chandra

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Lance S
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 11:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64

I am looking for an 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64.
Second
hand is fine. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly
appreciated.

Lance.

_________________________________________________________________
Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=174&re
ferral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/defa
ult.asp

_________________________________________________________________
Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to  
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=174&referral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 20:21:00 2003

--- Lance S <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Chandra,
> The 8250 does hook up to a Commodore PET but the stats seem quite
> different between the 8050 and 8250. 

The 8050 is a dual single-sided drive with full-height floppy mechanisms
(Tandon or Micropolis, IIRC); the 8250 is virtually the same, but with
double-sided mechs.  The 8250LP is a newer version of the 8250, somewhat
different internally, and uses half-height drives.  I have a little of
everything for the PET (including hard drives), *except* the 8" drives
and the 8250LP, so I can't describe many details.

-ethan

---

From: "Chandra Bajpai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 15:22:37 2003

Can 8050 diskettes be read on the 8250 (can the 8250 sense single sided
diskettes)? Which PET drive is compatible with 1571?

Ethan...I've accumulated a lot of PET stuff, including a dozen 8032's, a
dead SuperPET, some drives (including an 8250) and 3-8K PETs. Love to
hear what you have? I wish I had some software!

-Chandra

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Ethan Dicks
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2003 9:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Fwd: RE: 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64

-ethan

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 17:13:00 2003

> diskettes)? Which PET drive is compatible with 1571?

I'm not sure... that stuff is kinda new compared to what I have.  When I
used PETs every day, I was using cassette tape.  I got a 2040/4040 drive
about 8 years after my first C-64/1541.
 
> hear what you have? I wish I had some software!

I have a couple of 2001N-32s (marketed in Europe as the 3032), several
8032s, several 2040s upgraded to 4040s (DOS 2 firmware), at least one
8050, a 2031 (looks like a 1541 with an IEEE-488 port), a couple of
hard disks (9060 and 9090), printers, and some wierd add-ons (IEEE-488
serial interfaces, a "port maker" 6551 plug-in, 64K expanded RAM boards,
the guts from a SuperPet as upgrade spares (NIB), a couple modern C2N232
interfaces (tape-interface to serial) and all the service docs.

I have a few disks of games and what-not I accumulated over the years,
much of it I spun off of original, commercial tapes.  I also have
utilities, assemblers, etc., but I have tended of late to use VICE
under UNIX to do PET development (like to port Zork from the C-64 to the
PET).  All in all, I probably have five or six floppies of PET stuff.

Currently, I'm stalled because my favorite environment is still BASIC 2.0,
not BASIC 4.0, and my older PET is flakey when it comes to disk access.
I've replaced the PIAs and VIAs; now I'm looking at replacing the leaf-
sockets with machined-pin sockets.  After that, I don't know, unless
it's oxidation on the IEEE-488 edge connector.

-ethan