Subject: Newspaper layout/typsetting (was Re: new gifts)

From: "Steve Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 15 17:37:00 2003

> They also seem to bear the name of an aftermarket supplier - 
> Systems Industries?- and some sort of system name, which I cannot
> remember, but suggests typesetting.

May be the Atex (?) system, which I understand was very popular and
is still hanging on in some corners.

I've got some pictures around here somewhere from one datacenter of
a major metro New York area newspaper showing racks of what I believe
are rebadged pdp-11/x4's (they look recent, so maybe /84, /94, or one
of the goosed third party CPUs) dedicated to running Atex terminals
in newsrooms.

The systems are using some reasonably modern storage system - might
even be 3.5" form factor. But I wasn't in a position to inspect any-
thing too closely.

If I run across the snapshots I'll scan them and put them up
somewhere for grins.

--Steve.

---

From: "Merle K. Peirce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 08:19:00 2003

The name began with a C, and used a light beige band on the top of the 
11's.  The terminals were a mix of VT100's and Maxdata? maybe from 
Bohemia, NY.  Does that ring bells.  There were also a couple of 
Autologic machines that looked derelict.

> If I run across the snapshots I'll scan them and put them up

M. K. Peirce

Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
Shady Lea, Rhode Island 

"Casta est quam nemo rogavit."
              
              - Ovid