Subject: Wafer collecting and manufacturing

From: Robert Borsuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 08:17:00 2003

Hi,
    I figured I would pass this along for anyone who didn't know. If 
your into silicon collecting or interested in the manufacturing process 
you should get your self a subscription to SolidState Technology. It's 
free.
http://www.subscribe-sst.com

It's a decent magazine that has been around a few years.

Rob
[email-masked]

---

From: The Wanderer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 11:03:00 2003

A small question, can a Seagate ST-125 be used as a replacement for a RD5x?

Thanks,
Ed

--

---

From: Stan Barr <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 13:13:00 2003

Hi,

> A small question, can a Seagate ST-125 be used as a replacement for a RD5x?

I'd like to know too...

Some info I got on using 3rd-party disks says the following:

"These are the "successes" all done on PDP-11's with the 
    ZRQCH0 formatter:
.
.
.
(5) Seagate ST-125 (20 MB 3.5" HH): This one is basically a "no
    brainer" -- the drive has the same geometry as the RD-31,
    and will format as such."

-- 
Cheers,
Stan Barr  [email-masked]

The future was never like this!

---

From: Peter Turnbull <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 14:22:00 2003

> A small question, can a Seagate ST-125 be used as a replacement for a
RD5x?

Yes, it's the exact equivalent of an RD31.  Only works on an RQDX3,
though (not RQDX1 or RQDX2).

-- 
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

---

From: Peter Turnbull <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 17:14:01 2003

>     and will format as such."

There are basically three ways to get an ST412-like disk to work on an
RQDXx controller.

The easiest is obviously to use a real (or exact equivalent to) RD5x or
RD3x disk, and format it as such.

A second way is to use ZRQCH? in the mode that lets you specify the
type, and format a disk which is slightly bigger (more tracks and/or
more heads), as if it were one of the supported types.  That only works
for an RQDX3 with late(ish) ROMs.

A variation on this for an RQDX1 is to use really old ROMs and a disk
that behaves sufficiently like an RD51 or RD52 (eg has the right number
of cylinders).  Not all disks work, and they may stop working if you
substitute later ROMs (real RD51/52 disks are OK, the firware
recognises them and updates the format).  The reason is that the
firmware in the RQDX1/2 recognises disk geometries by probing, by
playing tricks with the disks.  The earliest version of the firmware
had only very simple tests, and could be fooled (I used to use a Rodime
3.5" drive on my RQDX1), but later firware has more tests (and six or
eight disk types) and if it doesn't recognise the disk, it won't play.
 I once exchanged some email with the guy at DEC who wrote those
routines so I have some what they do, but no details.

The third method is to use ZRQCH? or ZRQCG? in the mode that asks all
the relevant questions about geometry and disk type.  This only works
for RQDX3s, but if you can work out what all the RCTs, ZBNs and other
TLAs mean, and know how to work out all the numbers required, you can
format anything and call it RDanything.  And later versions of DEC OSs
will be perfectly happy.  The problem is knowing how to work out the
answers.  I did it once, and Tim Shoppa (IIRC) has also done it, but as
far as I know, the full information isn't published anywhere.  If you
want to try this, I can look out my notes about the TLAs and how to
work out the type numbers, and look up the manuals to see how to get
ZRQC?? into the right mode (I recall that different versions were
slighly different, if you see what I mean).

-- 
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

---

From: "Jonathan Engdahl" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 21:23:00 2003

I would really like to know how to get the XXDP utilities into that "mode".
I've been using the utilities with no manuals. I have discovered how to
binary hack ZRQCH0 to format a Maxtor XT1140, but it was real difficult, and
I have not reduced it to a cut-and-dried formula. I have a spreadsheet that
helps, but you still have to know a lot about what is going on, and make
some lucky guesses to cover what you don't know.

My spreadsheet, such as it is, is located on this page:
http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl/xxdp.htm. I figured out a lot about the
TLAs by reading the back of the RQDX3 manual, and by reading the DEC patent
that covers a similar technology. The patent ref is on my web page.

If anyone can help me find a copy of the manual for ZRQCH0, I'd be most
appreciative. I'd also be interested in adding any further info that anyone
has gathered or generated regarding this topic to my web page.

I use the "25" version of XXDP that is downloadable from sunsite or the
RCS/RI site.

--
Jonathan Engdahl
http://users.safeaccess.com/engdahl

"The things which are seen are temporary,
 but the things which are not seen are eternal."  II Cor. 4:18

---

From: Stan Barr <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 18 14:57:00 2003

Hi,

> though (not RQDX1 or RQDX2).

D*mn!   :-)