Subject: Systems Enhancement Corporation Power Administrator 800

From: "Geoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 16:43:01 2003

I have come across what seems to be a remote outlet/power sequencer device
from the Systems Enhancement Corporation called the Power Administrator 800.
On the rear it has two DB-9 male ports, which I assume can be used to program
this device.  It also has an Ethernet port and a few RJ-11 ports labeled "IN",
"R1," and "R2."  Additionally, a DB-15f port with the label "out" exists.  I
have tried to connect to the device using 9600/8/N/1 over the two serial ports
(DB-9) using both a straight and null-modem cable, but my terminal emulator
senses nothing.  A bank of 8 dip switches exists with the label "config."  I
contacted the manufacturer, but they claim all of this information is archived
and they do not have access to it.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to
communicate with this device?  It powers on and supplies electricity to its
six receptacles.

Thanks,

Geoff

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 17:23:00 2003

> senses nothing.  A bank of 8 dip switches exists with the label "config."  I

Have you considered trying settings other than 9600/8/N/1?

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 18:56:00 2003

On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
> > have tried to connect to the device using 9600/8/N/1 over the two
> > serial ports (DB-9) using both a straight and null-modem cable, but my
> > terminal emulator senses nothing.  A bank of 8 dip switches exists
> > with the label "config."  I
>

I have some gear that speaks 1200/7/E/2 on the serial port that is used
for configuration. I've found 1200 seems to be very common for simple
configuration or switching type gear, such as UPS and power distribution
devices. I guess this could be due to the fact you can often get away with
much longer cable runs at lower speeds.

Have you opened up the device to see what kind of microcontroller/EPROM(s)
it might contain? I've managed to figure out how to control a few devices
by looking at their EPROM contents.

-Toth

---

From: "Dave Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 01:20:01 2003

Maybe you drive it over the Ethernet port- I saw one of those devices a
couple of days back that  had 8 or 10 power outlets, the DIP switch and a
single Ethernet port. Nothing else. Going to try and score it too, but
'he-who-has-it' is still considering if he really wants it!
DaveB