Subject: New additions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat May 17 20:31:00 2003

Found a few things today which is surprising these days. 

Got a RS6000 model 250.  It had the key in the switch which I understand is a 
good thing. Is this computer worth keeping? 

Got a CD labeled upgrading and repairing PCs 8th edition. Also has 6 and 4th 
editions on it as well as a mac upgrade section. Looks to be all .pdf files. 

found 3 full length ISA cards called EVERGREEN SYSTEMS CAPCARD 9500.  Looks 
like a computer on one board with a Pentium overdrive in a socket 3. Any info 
on this?

---

From: "jmd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 18 02:56:41 2003

> like a computer on one board with a Pentium overdrive in a socket 3. Any
info

try www.evertech.com. i believe this is original manufacturer.

jeff

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon May 19 09:30:01 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003 [email-masked] wrote:

> Got a RS6000 model 250.  It had the key in the switch which I understand
> is a good thing. Is this computer worth keeping?

It's kinda slow.  PowerPC 601 at 66 or 80 MHz.  Uses ECC PPD 72-pin
SIMM's.  The "lower" model in the 7011-series, the RS/6000 POWERstation
220 actually outruns it in most thing running a POWER at 33MHz.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 09:47:42 2003

> 220 actually outruns it in most thing running a POWER at 33MHz.

IMHO it's not too bad.  I've noticed it does seem to boot AIX faster than
the 220; if you're not doing 64bit stuff, it's a fair amount faster, since
it's just a 32bit proc not a 64bit one.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon May 19 15:28:00 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Patrick Finnegan wrote:

> > > Got a RS6000 model 250.  It had the key in the switch which I
> > > understand is a good thing. Is this computer worth keeping?
> >
> > SIMM's.  The "lower" model in the 7011-series, the RS/6000
> > POWERstation 220 actually outruns it in most thing running a POWER at
> > 33MHz.
>
> IMHO it's not too bad.  I've noticed it does seem to boot AIX faster
> than the 220; if you're not doing 64bit stuff, it's a fair amount
> faster, since it's just a 32bit proc not a 64bit one.

The POWER is 32-bit.  But for anything with FP in it, the POWER will stomp
all over the 601.

Peace...  Sridhar