Subject: Altair version differences

From: "Cini, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 8 10:09:00 2003

Hi:

	Someone asked me what the difference between the 8800 and 8800a
models. I know that some significant changes but I couldn't enumerate them.

	Can someone help here? Thanks.

Rich

==========================
Richard A. Cini, Jr.
First Vice President
Congress Financial Corporation
1133 Avenue of the Americas
30th Floor
New York, NY 10036
(212) 545-4402
(212) 840-6259 (facsimile)

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 8 15:36:50 2003

One difference was the use of flat vs round toggle switch handles. The
round handles cut into your fingers and made them SORE after toggling in
long programs. My first Altair was a 8800 but had the flat handles as used
on the A model. Steve Gabley (sp?) was tracking Altair serial numbers and
differences. He said that my Altair was the highest known SN for an 8800
and one of very few 8800s with the flat handles. You should check with him,
I'm sure that he could tell you a lot more about the differences. 

   I think one of the other differences was a beefier PS in the A but I
don't remember for sure.

     Joe

---

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 9 17:57:01 2003

I have an 8800 - what is your SN? I am wondering where mine falls. I have
all the receipts, original mailing, training manuals from the Altair
Training van, teletype, software, in plastic unused and old hobby mags back
to 1966. I also have some spare parts, never un packaged. Plus quite a few
advertising flyers. Are you aware of  collection of this sort? I'd be happy
to scan and send things if people want them.

Mark