Subject: Re: documation m1000

From: "Brian Knittel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 14:16:00 2003

There are three flavors of Documation interfaces: parallel 
differential, parallel single-ended and serial (Cardamation). I 
believe the M1000 only came with the differential interface. I 
have an HP-branded M600 (HP2983A) and it also has the 
differential interface.  

I'm in the process of building a Documation to USB interface 
based on a Ubicom/Scenix microcontroller and the FTDI parallel-
to-USB chip. Have the parts but haven't had time to get started 
on construction. I'll post the schematics and code hopefully 
within a month.  

Dang it Sellam, your M1000 slipped under my ebay search
radar because it's a "ballot card reader" not a "punched card
reader."

Brian

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
_| _| _|  Brian Knittel
_| _| _|  Quarterbyte Systems, Inc.
_| _| _|  Tel:   1-510-559-7930
_| _| _|  Fax: 1-510-525-6889
_| _| _|  Email: [email-masked]
_| _| _|  http://www.quarterbyte.com

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 15:22:00 2003

> radar because it's a "ballot card reader" not a "punched card

Well, I thank whomever brought my attention to it on this list.  It'll
make the task of converting these punch cards 5 times faster than my M200
;)  I'll have to see if my Apple //e will still be able to keep up with
this model.

Of course, you're always welcome to borrow it.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Michael Holley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 20:59:00 2003

The Metcal system that I have has a PS2E-01 power supply and a RM3E
soldering iron. It uses STTC and SMTC tips. I have no documentation on this
unit and the PS2E is not mentioned on the Metcal site. How old is this unit?

I used a Weller WTPCN for twenty years and it is fine for 1980 vintage
through hole components.

Michael Holley
www.swtpc.com/mholley

---

From: "Jeffrey S. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 20 09:39:00 2003

Man, I've used the same old beater 15watt Radio Shack soldering iron for
years and years.  Its great for ic's and connectors.  Not so great for
connectors on boards or for power supply stuff.  I keep a beater 35watt
radio shack iron around when I need to unglue my 15watter from a ground
plane.... <GRIN>

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Michael Holley
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:56 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Soldering Irons (was RE: SWTPC TV Typewriter II restoration) 

The Metcal system that I have has a PS2E-01 power supply and a RM3E
soldering iron. It uses STTC and SMTC tips. I have no documentation on
this
unit and the PS2E is not mentioned on the Metcal site. How old is this
unit?

Michael Holley
www.swtpc.com/mholley