Subject: Re: Leaving the hobby

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 13:53:00 2003

>I just signed on with a mover yesterday and it's going to cost me a ton 
>to move my butt and my family to a new house, much of it because of the 
>thousands of pounds of computers and related items I've got stashed.
>
>Hell, the reason we're moving is that we're out of space! :)

My wife just told me last night that "We are not taking that sh*t with us 
when we move". She was refering to the piles of computers I have in my 
barn. 

I'm still trying to figure out who the "We" was referring to. :-)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 14:07:01 2003

When does a hobby turn into an obsesion or compulsion? My small collection
is relatively new, and pretty much focussed on game machines (c64,c128,
IIgs, Amiga 500,1200,atari ST, etc) and a few 68k macs, powermacs, and a
bunch of PC's. They dont take up that much space, not like a mainframe
anyway, and run off of 120VAC.

Oh, and wives have been known to make their husbands throw out their
collections of whatever so they can store their own stuff like clothes,
shoes, antiques. Some of that is practicle, some of it is just taking
control.

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 14:52:46 2003

Chris,

   Where do you live? I'll come and help relieve you of your "burdon". :-)

    Joe

---

From: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 18:37:00 2003

TeoZ asks:
> When does a hobby turn into an obsesion or compulsion? 

Taken from Christine Reilly, Institute for Research on Pathological 
Gambling, Harvard Medical School   http://www.hms.harvard.edu/doa
(As per NPR, abbreviated)

   Symptoms of addiction
      o Crave it.  Obsessive thinking about the activity.
      o Continued involvement despite adverse consequences
      o Increasing levels to get the same satisfaction

Relating an experience I had for 24 hours once with 
painkillers for a broken leg I would add:

      o Gradual replacing of satisfaction with irritability.

Good source material for the subject: 
the book "Terminal Man".  No joke.

John A.

---

From: "Wayne M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 17 02:20:01 2003

> when we move". She was refering to the piles of computers I 
Hey, I'm moving too in 2 weeks!  Bigger place with a 26 x 15 bonus room
that I'm dedicating to computer stuff.  Finally, I'll be able to access
my stuff.  Yay!

---

From: Christopher McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 17 04:53:01 2003

> that I'm dedicating to computer stuff.  Finally, I'll be able to access

This is really wierd, since I'm also moving in two weeks.  We are
leasing a 160 year old farm house on 5 acres.   The place has a gigantic
attic and a barn so I wont have to make my computer room double as a
storage area.

-- 
Christopher L McNabb
Operating Systems Analyst         Email: [email-masked]
Virginia Tech                     ICBM:  37.1356N 80.4272N
GMRS: WPSR255                     ARS:   N2UX  Grid Sq: EM97SD

---

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 17 06:46:00 2003

Someone wrote:
> My wife just told me last night that "We are not taking that 
> sh*t with us when we move". She was refering to the piles of computers I 
> have in my barn. 

Incorrect response to such a wife: "Yes dear." [wimpily spoken]

Correct response to such a wife: "You're right, we're not taking it
with us, I'm taking it with me.  Either you're coming with me, or you
aren't.  Make up your mind." [spoken very matter of factly and calmly,
then just let any arguments, shouting, screeching, etc. go in one ear
and out the other]

-- 
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals: 
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature & 
[email-masked]  410-744-4900  her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org         beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 17 09:43:01 2003

> anyway, and run off of 120VAC.

When you're driving in the vicinity of your favorite thrift store and you
can't defeat the urge to stop in "just in case".

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *