Subject: Re: Central Point Option Board

From: Charlie Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 1 06:54:00 2003

Earlier, Frank McConnell wrote:

> Received: (from uucp@localhost) by skylane.kjsl.com
>   (8.12.8/8.12.8/Submit) with UUCP id h515RA9J093507 for
>   [email-masked]; Sat, 31 May 2003 22:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
>   (envelope-from [email-masked])
> Received: from daemonweed.reanimators.org (localhost.reanimators.org
>   [127.0.0.1]) by daemonweed.reanimators.org (8.12.9/8.12.9) with ESMTP
>   id h515P4Qo013771 for <[email-masked]>; Sat, 31 May 2003
>   22:25:04 -0700 (PDT) (envelope-from [email-masked])
> Received: (from fmc@localhost) by daemonweed.reanimators.org
>   (8.12.9/8.12.9/Submit) id h515P4fo013768; Sat, 31 May 2003 22:25:04
>   -0700 (PDT)

> I'm thinking what this means is that you can use TCM to copy 1.44MB
> 3.5" media, but there's no guarantee that it will reliably copy
> media that are copy-protected.
>

Thanks for the info ...  that's what I was afraid I was going to hear.

I notice you are connected to kjsl.com via UUCP.  There's less and less
of that any more.  For anyone's interest in the Ohio area, I've got a
UUCP number in Columbus, and there are still 4 or 5 systems that use
me as an upstream mail hub.  Since the mapping project shut down, it's
difficult to find a connection.

    - Charlie

-- 

 Charlie Smith   [email-masked]  614-271-1418  
 http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/  Columbus Ohio   USA
 SMS: [email-masked]

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 2 00:27:00 2003

> Thanks for the info ...  that's what I was afraid I was going to hear.

Still, it shouldn't hurt to try.  The TCM chapter in the manual has 
several hints that it may work, but I'm guessing it depends on the type
of protection used.

> difficult to find a connection.

Yes, although these days it's UUCP over TCP over ADSL.  I don't think
either of my upstreams have modems for dial-in UUCP any more.

There was some talk here (or on the old classiccmp list) a while back
about reviving the mapping project, but I don't think it ever came to
anything.

-Frank McConnell

---

From: Mike Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 2 12:33:01 2003

>Thanks for the info ...  that's what I was afraid I was going to hear.

I'm too lazy to look for it right now, but I wonder what version of the cps 
tools the above comment refers to. CPS I think continued to support the 
option board through many many releases of the toolkit, which went up to 
like version 7.1 or so just within the dos/w3.1 era.

---

From: "Fred Cisin (XenoSoft)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 2 13:41:00 2003

> like version 7.1 or so just within the dos/w3.1 era.

It was still valid at the point where they discontinued the product (and
gave a nice closeout offer to those of us who had bought in quantity).

There were a number of "HD" formats that it couldn't handle (I was NOT
dealing with copy-protection), and even a few that it couldn't handle that
were readable through int13h.

But his support of his mass duplication products might have been
different.

--
Fred Cisin                      [email-masked]
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com