Subject: Re: Some more offerings from the 'Garage'

From: David Betz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 7 07:05:00 2003

Jim,

I was wondering if you have received my payment for the Digital 
Programming Languages book? I haven't heard from you and am worried my 
check may have gotten lost in the mail.

Thanks,
David

On Tuesday, February 18, 2003, at 12:22 PM, James Willing wrote:

> In my never ending attempts to find more space, I've started sorting 
> thru
> the book vaults and culling out the duplicates.  Following is this 
> week's
> sortings.
>
> In general, any book listed will go for $7.50 delivered in CONUS unless
> otherwise noted.  Where there are multiples this will be noted.  If you
> are outside of 'states', please drop me a note to sort out postage.
>
> Available volumes:
>
> Digital Microcomputer Handbook 1977-78 (5 available)
> Digital PDP-11 Peripherals Handbook 1976 (3 available)
> Digital Microcomputer Products Handbook 1985
> Digital Logic Handbook 1970
> Digital Programming Languages 1970 V2
> Digital Labratory Computer Handbook 1971
>
>
> First Called, First Served!  As-Is, where is!  All are readable and
> appear complete, but remember they are old.
>
> More later;
> -jim
> ---
> [email-masked]
> The Computer Garage - http://www.rdrop.com/~jimw

---

From: David Betz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 7 07:41:01 2003

> Jim,

Sorry for sending this to the entire list. I  intended to send it 
privately.

---

From: David Betz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 13 21:01:00 2003

Has anyone heard from James Willing lately? I ordered something from 
his garage sale but have been unable to reach him by email to confirm 
that he received my payment.

---

From: Dan Veeneman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 13 21:24:01 2003

At 09:57 PM 3/13/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone heard from James Willing lately? I ordered something from his 
>garage sale but have been unable to reach him by email to confirm that he 
>received my payment.

I have not heard from him either, although my bank informs me that
he cashed my check.

Cheers,

Dan

---

From: David Betz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 14:41:01 2003

I have only heard from two other people and both of them have had 
trouble contacting James as well. Has anyone had any luck ordering 
items from James Willing and/or the Computer Garage? Or shall I write 
off my payment and avoid these offers in the future?

---

From: Owen Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 17:55:01 2003

> off my payment and avoid these offers in the future?

I don't know, but I sent off a $15 money order weeks ago for two of the
books he listed for sale here on the list, and I haven't heard from him
since.

-- 
Owen Robertson

---

From: James Willing <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 18 12:19:00 2003

(sent intentionally to the list...)

> off my payment and avoid these offers in the future?

...or just read the 'fine print' (details rather than size) more
carefully...  (attempt at humour)

item 1:  all of the books that have been paid for have shipped. ('spose
that would be the important one)

item 2:  as I've noted frequently of late, I no longer have a 'regular'
connection to the net, and so my access is increasingly sporatic.  Add to
that, trying to sort thru (over 10k as of this writing) messages in 'pine'
on a telnet connection leaves something to be desired when it come to
organizing.  also makes it near impossible to update the web site...

item 3:  I am behind on shipping some other items.  As the nearest
UPS/FedEx drop off is 30 miles up the road, I don't get there as often as
I should.

item 4:  for those only now joining the saga, (another attempt at humour)
when last we left our protaganists (sp?) they had abandoned the high-tech
urban life to seek simplicity in the rural areas of Kansas.  Read that: do
it all yourself.  No 'EZ Mail' or 'MailBox Plus' just down the street to
handle shipping.  So it takes longer...  Yes, as much my fault as any
but that's life these days...

SO... I guess if you (individually or collectively) would rather, I can
just fade silently into the background noise and not bother anyone anymore...

-jim
---
[email-masked]

---

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 18 12:58:00 2003

> off my payment and avoid these offers in the future?

Firstly, I think that it's quite safe to say that he's not going to
cheat you. There's probably some sort of temporary communications
problem, etc.  He's been on this list for a long time and has been
very helpful to list members.  I've purchased items from him, was very
satisfied with the transaction, and have never heard anyone else
complaining.  Don't worry, there's surely no need to "write off" your
payment to him. 

-- 
Copyright (C) 2002 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals: 
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature & 
[email-masked]  410-744-4900  her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org         beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.

---

From: David Betz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 24 17:23:01 2003

I just wanted to say that I received my book today. Thanks Jim!