Subject: Re: Leaving the Hobby

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed May 14 09:14:00 2003

> I am leaving the hobby/lifestyle of classic computing.  I will not
> participate in any discussion of the reason.  The decision has been made.

Thank you for your contributions to this list.  May you life be long and
happy.

Best regards,

Glen Goodwin
0/0

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 12:54:31 2003

>Aww - what fun is that?  How about this:
>
>Bill's Top 10 Reasons to Leave the Classic Computer Hobby

OMFG!!!

That is the funniest s* I have read in a while. You should think about 
sticking it on a shirt and selling them at the next VCF! Humm... mind if 
I make myself a shirt?

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "Erik Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 13:32:01 2003

> Go out and buy all sorts of old computer crap.  Fill every inch of 
your
> living space with it.  Go broke dragging the stuff around with you 
every
> move and trying to find a place to put it.

I just signed on with a mover yesterday and it's going to cost me a ton 
to move my butt and my family to a new house, much of it because of the 
thousands of pounds of computers and related items I've got stashed.

Hell, the reason we're moving is that we're out of space! :)

   Erik

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 18 21:34:00 2003

>I know, but sometimes it is necessary to grossly inflate the value in
>order to be allowed to enter the house with the latest "find". Oh and the
>word she used was most definitely not "geek", but then again I suppose
>that I should not have called her the C word in open court, but the more
>chins than a Chinese phone book comment did make the judge laugh.

Lesson to be learned (besides being civil in court), always claim the 
most worthless item in the collection is the most valuable. That way she 
runs off with easily replaced junk and leaves all the real good stuff 
behind.

-chris

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon May 19 22:45:00 2003

R. D. Davis provided this good advice (from experience ?)

>And, let's not forget to insist that the judge address you as "your
>royal holiness of technology preservation."  Refuse to address the
>court without being bowed to.  Insist that the judge, and everyone
>else, who doesn't collect computers, waits for the royal wave from you
>before they speak.  Lastly, when asked any computer-related questions,
>insist that you be allowed to consult your followers and members of
>your extended royal family, the classiccmp group.  If they attempt to
>charge you with contempt of court, plead permanent insanity (remember,
>insanity is a good thing).  When they try to cart you away to the
>funny farm, claim that you're not mentally unstable, just eccentric,
>but not crazy like everyone else who doesn't preserve vast quantities
>of computers.  Swear on the Weeks and James book "Eccentrics," and a
>stack of holy 7th Edition UNIX source code, that it's the truth. ;-)

To which Rich (who never learned when to remain silent) replied

This could work as long as I was careful not to quote any CP/M commands,
" Yes your Honor, pip pip findbad movcpm. And furthermore, alias sub and
era", one way ticket to 72 hours observation.

                                                       Rich