Subject: Re: Penske is our friend!

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 18 08:35:01 2003

>This reminds me of when I had to create a fictious corporate name,
>back when I was in college, just so I could purchase difficult to find
>semiconductors from sales 'droids at electronics distributors.  They
>refused to sell me anything unless I was a business... so, I simply
>told them I was one and made up a name to go with it.  By doing so, I
>got quite a few freebies as well (if big companies can get such
>freebies, why shouldn't electronics hobbyists?), and got into an
>electronics trade show too, where I got enough samples, product
>literature, databooks, etc. to fill up the car's entire front seat,
>floor area and a fairly large part of the back seat.  ...and I got a
>free pit-beef sandwich as well at that trade show. :-)

That is EXACTLY how my "company" got started. I wanted to buy some parts 
from someone that only sold to businesses. So I made up a company name 
(Myth Technologies... because the company itself was a myth), printed 
some business cards in HS Graphic Arts class, some letterhead on a laser 
printer and bought my parts.

I later used the business cards to start getting extra stuff at computer 
trade shows... and eventually when I did start doing part time 
consulting... it was just natural to keep using the same name. (Today I 
actually have to declare the company on my taxes)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "Tillman, Edward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 01:29:00 2003

Texas would at least like a "DBA" for the county where the *business*
resides...  And the TaxMan wanteth his share as well (min $125/quarter
whether or not you sold anything, unless you can demonstrate a clear loss
exceding the value of any state taxes claimed...)

Cheers...

Ed Tillman
Store Automation Tech Support Specialist
  Valero Energy Corporation
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Office: (210)592-3110, Fax (210)592-2048
Email: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> 

-----Original Message-----
From: William Donzelli [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 9:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Penske is our friend!

> I hate to rain on your parade but ...
> 
>  >> If I part the computers out and sell everything on ebay or, worse,
>  >> for gold and scrap value, would that make me eligible for the
>  >> business rate?
> 
>  >Yes.
> 
> WRONG. Getting a business license is what would make you eligible
> for the business rate.

Well, maybe not then...I don't know Penske's rules. However, as was
pointed out, being non-incorporated and doing the above scenario above
certainly is legitimate business, as long as the taxman gets his share
(Schedule C, I think? I don't do it anymore, since I incorporated. Anyway,
that is what accountants are for). No license is needed, at least in some
states. 

I would think, however, that Penske would want to see some sort of 
legitimate business paper if it can't have an EIN. 

> Busted an axle
> as I recall. Could have had an accident or even killed someone. That's how
> too many a personal user would do it, and the rental company and their
> insurance carrier very well know it through experience.

Exactly, so you could actually think of the business rate as "normal" and 
the personal rate as "built in insurance".

William Donzelli
[email-masked]