Subject: Re: Trenton Computer Festival

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 6 13:40:49 2003

>10/100 NuBus?  Never seen one

I'm pretty sure Farallon made one.

I've seen people requesting them on the LEM Swap list, but I don't know 
what kind of a price they get. I would imagine at least $20 or so, if for 
no other reason than they aren't all that common (unlike 10Mb Nubus cards 
which can be had for just a few $ each... I think I paid $10 for a box of 
12 assorted on ebay about a year ago)

>> Apple IIgs scsi cards available there for non ebay prices?
>
>Sometimes.  Kinda rare, though.  Best bet is a IIgs that has one
>inside that nobody knows what it is.

I'm still waiting for one of those as well. <sigh> eventually I'll find 
one.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 6 13:54:00 2003

Mass stroage controllers for any of the old classics (Atari ST, Amiga 500,
Apple IIgs) are very hard to find and always command a few bucks on ebay. I
just cant see spending $50 or more for a scsi card for a complete system
that was $30 shipped with monitor disk drives etc. Guess I will keep
looking.

LEM has some nice deals if you view the list every day (stuff gets sold
quick if the price is good).

The nubus uwscsi cards go quick to people with old A/V capture systems that
need the speed (the reason I want one)

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 6 14:08:00 2003

> I'm pretty sure Farallon made one.

I'm sure someone did; it's just too pricey for the places I find
Mac gear (like under wet rocks ;-)
 
> I'm still waiting for one of those as well. <sigh> eventually I'll find 

Best I've done so far was a ROM 03 IIgs with a 1MB RAM card (1/4 full, but
I have lots of 256Kx1 DRAMs) for about $10.  No SCSI.  :-(

-ethan
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: David Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 6 14:09:30 2003

FWIW, 

Not exactly 'classic' but the following doo-hicky might be
a useful mass storage device for an A2GS/A2E

http://dreher.net/CFforAppleII/

I've got one ordered, however, he's not started shipping quite yet.

They're not terribly cheap though (100$)

It is a CF/IDE interface, I wonder how difficult it would be to adapt 
it to talk to a IDE Cdrom drive.. 

David

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 6 14:41:36 2003

I seen that before, $100 is alot more then $50. I want the scsi card because
I already have a syquest 44 5.25 removable "harddrive" that would be perfect
for that system. SCSI is alot more flexible then having a HD or flash card
on a card system.

---

From: David Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 6 15:51:00 2003

> for that system. SCSI is alot more flexible then having a HD or flash card

True, it isn't cheap. 

However, unfortunately, I've yet to find a SCSI card for a A2 of any sort
and I wanted some sort of mass storage. 

CF does have the advantage of no moving parts.   And is easier
to find than "small" IDE/SCSI drives. 

CF will also probably still be here in 5 years when I (finally) get 
to the A2 on the "Nostalgic list of things to do" :-)

David

PS: Anyone know where one can still pick up 5 1/4" DSDD floppy
disks commercially? I've not been able to find any, albeit I've 
not looked super hard yet either.. Hmmm, mebbe Mendelsons, not tried 
there yet.

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 6 16:03:01 2003

I got 500 new unused 5.25 DSDD floppies on ebay a year ago for $20+ shipping
I think Only problem was they were green and without sleeves. There are
usually 50 pack bundles sold on there.

They come in handy on my c64/c128 (I ahve a metal punch to use both sides)