Subject: Re: OT: Toy Chevy's

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 14 13:34:00 2003

> With
>the computerization of manufacturing that's available, it makes no
>sense to me why auto manufacturers can't stamp out any body part, for
>any car, from any year, on demand.

Can't they?

Eons ago, when I owned a 65 T-Bird and was rebuilding it (a failed 
project), I was told by a Ford Dealer that Ford can make ANY part for the 
car if I request it. However it was going to cost a bundle as they had to 
retool to make the parts. (The conversation was specifically revolving 
around body panels and interior body parts... so engine and other 
mechanical parts may not be included... I didn't clarify as I wasn't able 
to afford used parts much less factory new).

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 14 14:14:18 2003

The process of stamping out body panels probably hasnt changed that much in
the last 30 years. Sure its automated better but a press is a press.

I'm not sure what happens to the old molds after the car companies are done
stamping out parts with them. Are they so used up that they are scrapped or
are they sold off at auction to people that make after market parts?

---

From: William Donzelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 14 14:33:00 2003

> retool to make the parts.

I once worked on a project for Agco, one of the big farm machine 
companies. They had us scan blueprints for machines from 1930 to 1970 or 
so, as they had the same policy. They will make you a new part if they 
don't have one on a warehouse, but you won't like the cost.

Cars or tractors - often it was cheaper just to buy the latest model.

William Donzelli
[email-masked]

---

From: William Donzelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 14 14:37:00 2003

> are they sold off at auction to people that make after market parts?

From what I know, the old tooling is kept around for a while, then off to 
the smelter. By the time the car companies are done stamping a million 
zillion fenders, the tooling is pretty tired anyway.

William Donzelli
[email-masked]

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 14 15:19:00 2003

>are they sold off at auction to people that make after market parts?

    In all the cases that I'm aware of the molds where sold as scrap with the express requirement that they be destroyed. I guess the car companies what to be sure that no one starts producng '55 chevys in Mexico, Brazil or where ever.

   Joe