Subject: Re: HP nixie tube module information needed

From: Al Kossow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 20 16:24:00 2003

I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what HP (or other) instruments
may have used these modules.

---

HP 5245L Frequency counters

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 20 17:30:00 2003

Those are more or less standard display moduels from the 60 vintage HP
gear. I don't know if they were all EXACTLY alike but they used these in
counters, timers, volt meters and all kinds of stuff from the '60s and
early seventies. 

At 03:50 PM 5/20/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Probably my best find at the recent Hamvention in Dayton OH was a
>stack of nixie tube modules made by HP. In retrospect, I wish that
>I had purchased the whole box of them, but I hopefully have enough
>to at least make a clock.
>
>I have two variations on the modules, the part numbers are:
>	HP 05212-6016 series 648
>	HP 05212-6003 series 415

   The part number indicates that these were first designed for something
with model # 5212. But I don't know what that is.

>They both use Borroughs B422 nixie tubes 

   All Nixies are made by Burroughs AFIK. Burroughs holds the patent and
trademark for "Nixie" tubes.

and look like they may have
>an integrated HV supply of some sort.

   If you take them open you'll probably find an opto-coupler made of
descrete parts. IN those days they didn't make transistors that would
handle the voltage needed for the Nixeis so they used a light and a photo
cell to gate the Nixies. I think the light was a NE-2 Neon buld but it's
been a while I'm not positive any more.

    Joe

>
>Here are a couple of pics for reference:
>
>http://www.ubanproductions.com/Images/nixie1.jpg
>http://www.ubanproductions.com/Images/nixie2.jpg
>
>may have used these modules. I would also like to find a schematic of
>the module if possible.
>
>Thanks!
>
>--tom