Subject: ClassicCmp Auction Site?

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 14:21:00 2003

Forgive me if this has already been discussed today; I don't have time at
the moment to scan the entire thread.

With this latest round of discussion about eBay, the thought crossed my mind
that maybe we need our own WWW auction site.  It would only contain classic
computers and related items, and it could be designed in such a way that
would please a large number of list members and colleagues, including those
who avoid eBay.  Could I hear some opinions on this, please?

My WWW-related programming skills -- not my traditional forte -- have
seriously improved since the last time we discussed ideas for the CC site.
In fact, I've been doing it for money at my workplace for the last few
weeks.  For several months now, I've been increasingly interested in
implementing some of the ideas I've had for ClassicCmp improvements, and if
people think it is a good idea, an auction subsite would make for a very
interesting project.  Don't worry; there are no weblogs up my sleeve. :-)

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: Marvin Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 14:39:00 2003

I think this is a great idea, but I'm not sure we need to re-invent the
wheel here. There are existing auction sites that will do what needs to
be done. SYI, for example, has been mentioned here in the past (and I am
taking a look at them again getting ready to list some stuff.) And if we
approach such a site as a group of interested people, they are more
likely to incorporate things we would like to see.

From my perspective, there are two issues. 1) wanting to get the most
money out of something, and 2) wanting to get it to a collector/user ...
they are not necessarily exclusive :). There is probably not much doubt
that ebay is the place that will usually bring in the most money. But
the pricing (and philosophy) there does drive some collectors away.

Things I would like to see in a ClassicCmp auction site:

links/descriptions of equipment that could be incorporated in listings
a mechanism to allow trades of equipment
a way of qualifying buyers and sellers before they list/bid/trade.

And the list could go on, but this is a start.

---

From: Jim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 15:00:01 2003

>interesting project.  Don't worry; there are no weblogs up my sleeve. :-)
Personally, I think that this is an excellent idea. It wouldn't have to 
be at all elaborate.  Just some webspace to advertise one's 'spares'. 
For "auction" it could easily be 'best offer by...'  A true sealed bid 
auction!

The VW bus community does this on their website at: <http://www.type2.com>

Of course, it would require someone willing to spend the time to 
administer it.

Jim

---

From: Cameron Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 15:18:01 2003

> Of course, it would require someone willing to spend the time to 

It probably would be helpful if it were worth their while, like a small
fee for a successful sale. IMO.

-- 
----------------------------- personal page: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * [email-masked]
-- DON'T PANIC! ---------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 15:27:01 2003

> Could I hear some opinions on this, please?

I kinda like eBay, but hate the customer service -
too many hurdles, as was mentioned earlier.

One problem of having our own engine is the dilemma -
have it be private and the prices will be lower.
have it be public and the legal hassles as regards 
patented functionality kick in.  FYI

> don't have time at the moment to scan the entire thread.

Talk about not having the time.
Imagine the possibilities for dispute with our own auctions
going on.  I have given away about 16 lots of items now on
list and have had 2 nonpayers.  Also FYI.

John A.

---

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 15:59:56 2003

I had brought a similar request to Jeff Sharp via a telephone call a while
back for implementation. I thought it was a "done deal". My plan was to not
create an "auction site" persay, because that is a rather huge task, and
because - well, there IS ebay. So instead, I had asked him to create an
"available" site. It would only be open to list members (password
protected). On the site they could list all their spare inventory, and/or
equipment they were willing to trade. That way, people could perhaps find
things they were looking for more easily from other listmembers, and work
their own deals (cash or trade), without going through ebay.

My vote is of course to proceed with this idea, any thoughts?

Jay West

---

From: Mike Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 17:16:00 2003

>My vote is of course to proceed with this idea, any thoughts?

Good idea, I suggest you make it a scrolling site, ie any list member can 
post a text message (with html links too I guess), but after some fixed 
time the text and all drops into the bit bucket, and would need to be 
reposted if desired. Or maybe better, two sections, one of links to our own 
out of date pages that stays forever, and a second section of scrolling 
endless text.

Also beyond limiting to list members, maybe it should be list members of at 
least a week or so, so we don't get people joining the list, just to post 
somethng perhaps offtopic forsale.

---

From: Mike Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 17:17:09 2003

Beware of C-nile VIRUS
Just got this in from a reliable source. It seems that there is a virus out 
there called the C-nile Virus that even the most advanced programs from 
Norton and McAfee cannot take care of, so be warned, it appears to affect 
those users born before 1958! Symptoms of C-nile Virus - Causes you to:
-- send same e-mail twice.
-- send blank e-mail.
-- send to wrong person.
-- send it back to person who sent it to you.
-- forget to attach the attachment.
-- hit "SEND" before you've finished the ..........

---

From: Marvin Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 17:26:01 2003

What is the difference between that, and posting to this list? We have
talked in the past about having a separate site for posting stuff to
sell, but it seems that few people are interested.

---

From: Doc Shipley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 17:57:01 2003

> who avoid eBay.  Could I hear some opinions on this, please?

   I'd be more interested in a straight "for sale/wanted" list.  It's 
simple enough to post a best-offer item, with a cutoff date if so 
desired.  Lots less maintenance, we could ask for stuff, and 
participants can shape their sales to suit themselves.  Plus, you don't 
have to choose between becoming an auction caller and excluding our 
Illinois-based brethren.  ;)

   I think some kind of dedicated intra-ClassicCmp trading forum is a 
really groovy idea.

	Doc

---

From: bill claussen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 18:09:01 2003

Howdy Marvin! LTNS

I agree with you completely about SellYourItem.com,  I know from past experience
that the support will look seriously at opening up cat's for the serious seller.
I have had several opened up by them for classic mauals, and electronics, etc..
If those reading this thread would take a look at the site, it may just work out
for the list.

Bill

---

From: Marvin Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 18:32:00 2003

Hi Bill!!!

I think there would be enough support from this listserver to
substantially increase the site usage, and help us out at the same time.
Personally, I won't have time until Monday to get listings ready, but
I'm willing to give it a try. Listings are free, and I don't think the
FVFs are out of line. This would be a wonderful place for those people
who aren't looking for money as much as a chance to pass on some of this
stuff to other collectors.

---

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 21:18:00 2003

> simple enough to post a best-offer item, with a cutoff date if so 
[...]
>   I think some kind of dedicated intra-ClassicCmp trading forum is a 

Me too.  Years ago, what I didn't get from a hamfest or other local
sources, to satisfy my computer collecting habit, I bought/traded from
ads posted on Usenet newsgroups.  It was rarely a case of "best
offer;" the first person to reply to the ad usually got the goodies.

-- 
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals: 
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature & 
[email-masked]  410-744-4900  her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org         beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.

---

From: "Ernest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 27 10:24:01 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On

> their own deals (cash or trade), without going through ebay.

I like the this idea also rather than a formal sort of auction site. I have
many items that I aren't worth much money but I know that someone, sometime
will want them, and if there is a site that that I can post these items to
for others to view at their leisure, then I can just post them and forget
about it. Later, if someone wants them, they can contact me about it even if
it's months later because there aren't any deadlines or ending dates. You
post the items, and they stay there until you remove them (within reason, of
course.) This kind of site might not be a big money maker but it would be
very useful to the community.

E.

---

From: "Dave Babcock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 4 02:08:02 2003

In the same vein, I learned that there's an even more advanced virus --
D-nile -- where you can't even admit that you're infected.

Thanks,
DaveB