Subject: Re: OS uptimes

From: Phil Budne <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 8 17:08:00 2003

> From: Peter Hicks <[email-masked]>

> However, this beats all of them:
> 
>    Uptime is 1048 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes
>    cat6500-1>
> 
> This is a Catalyst 6506 switch ...

Somehow an embeded box that doesn't have to run arbitrary and buggy
programs seems like cheating!  Here's the uptime on a old VAXstation
just before a scheduled power outage:

$ sho sys
VAX/VMS V6.1  on node BUMMER  10-MAY-2002 16:02:42.38   Uptime  1099 02:42:54

1099 days.  Admittedly it spends most of it's time sitting quietly in a corner.

Looking at:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

The top 3 current entries appear to show 1500+ The top is 1751 on a
BSD/OS system.  The FAQ indicates they can't detect more than 497 days
of uptime on some operating systems.

Another site is:

http://www.uptimes.nu/index.php?area=statistics

But the highest uptime is suspect: "31y 335d 20h 15m (FreeBSD 4.8-RC)"
since FreeBSD 4.8 came out within the last year!

-phil