Subject: (Fwd) MINC-11 available (UK)

From: Peter Turnbull <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 9 13:25:01 2003

This is just to remind anyone who saw my post a few days ago, and
hasn't yet decided they need to rescue this MINC...

> DEC MINC 11
>
> This is a self contained mobile unit based on a PDP11.
>
> It has an ADC, Digital I/O and clock.  VT05 VDU on top of it.  Dual
8"
> floppies.  Era 1980.  Quite heavy!!
>
> It's available up until 21st April - maybe a bit beyond if you really
> want it.

The deadline was extended until next week, but it is now a firm
deadline -- the owner (not me) is in Edinburgh, and is moving office
next week, to a new site.  There's no way the MINC can go with him, and
there's probably soe other stuff available as well.  Surely someone can
rescue this machine!

-- 
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

---

From: "graeme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 9 15:22:00 2003

Hi there 

I am interested and not to far away in Newcastle. Probably I could
collect Monday or wedensday.

Graeme

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Peter Turnbull
Sent: 09 May 2003 19:23
To: Discussion re-collecting of classic computers
Subject: (Fwd) MINC-11 available (UK)

8"

-- 
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

---

From: "Andy Holt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 9 16:06:01 2003

> there's probably soe other stuff available as well.  Surely someone can

Edinburgh is a bit (a lot!) far for me ... especially as I have my eyes on a
11/34 thats currently on eBay in the UK (and within a couple of hours
drive!)

Andy

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:56:02 2003

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of graeme
> Sent: 09 May 2003 21:20
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: (Fwd) MINC-11 available (UK)
> 
> 
> Hi there 
> 
 
Yay - 2 classiccmpers in Newcastle.....what are the chances of that? :)

cheers

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 11:27:43 2003

Morning all,

Another one for you :)

Had a quick trawl of the archives 'cos I'm sure someone's mentioned doing
this, but the recent stuff isn't archived yet is it? Anyway, What's the best
way to get data off Apple ][e disks and onto something that has a CD burner
fastened to it? I've got a bunch of old disks here containing documents and
BASIC programs that need to be archived.

I'm assuming null-modem cable connection between Apple/PC and file transfer
software? Xmodem or something like that? Kermit?

Thanks in advance,

---

From: David Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 12:18:00 2003

FWIW

IIRC, There's something called ADT that'll move entire entire disk 
images back and forth..  (via serial)

Much of it depends on what format you want the data to be in
on the PC side.

David

---

From: "graeme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 12:24:00 2003

Hi 

Picked up in good condition, all appears to work fine but no boot disk.

Graeme

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Witchy
Sent: 12 May 2003 11:16
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: (Fwd) MINC-11 available (UK)

cheers

---

From: "Steven N. Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 16:54:00 2003

> software? Xmodem or something like that? Kermit?

If you have the hardware and the patience to get it all working together, 
I suggest AppleTalk networking.  I have a IIgs and //e networked off a 
Linux box (running Netatalk).  Works very well for mass file-copying, it's 
fast and the file dates are preserved properly.

You'll need (at a minimum):

- Ethernet <---> LocalTalk bridge.  I use a Shiva FastPath 4, but there 
are dozens of models which are reported to work.  Gator Box is one I've 
heard a lot about.

- Apple //e + Apple Workstation card

and/or 

- Apple IIgs (Rom 3 preferable)

Server can be a Mac, in which case the necessary protocols are (or should 
be) there already.  For Linux, you need appletalk support in the kernel 
and the very latest version of netatalk.

For configuration info, read the docs.  Then, read the docs.  Finally, 
read the code <g>.

Steve

---

From: Mike Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 17 07:28:00 2003

>- Ethernet <---> LocalTalk bridge.  I use a Shiva FastPath 4, but there

I have about a dozen of these, and they are pretty much the "best" in terms 
of fully supporting things like MacTCP (TCP inside of appletalk packets), 
but I have never setup and used one for myself, any suggestions, hints or 
tips on doing it?

I do have a bunch of Shiva files I saved prior to Intel swallowing it up, 
but its really the more info than less problem.

---

From: "Steven N. Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 17 08:09:00 2003

> but its really the more info than less problem.

I basically blundered my way through the setup, so I can't be of much help 
with a methodical approach.  It would be great if someone out there could 
scan in the docs (which I've never laid eyes on) and post them as a PDF...

Steve

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 18 02:43:18 2003

> Behalf Of Steven N. Hirsch
> Sent: 16 May 2003 22:50
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: Data transfer from Apple ][ to PC
>

Meep! I can do all of that apart from the LocalTalk bridge and the
Workstation card, though such a beast may exist in my Big Box Of Apple Cards
That Are Hitherto Undocumented. Hmm. At least I know where THAT is.....been
having much difficulty in finding stuff of late!

cheers

---

From: "Steven N. Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 18 17:46:00 2003

> having much difficulty in finding stuff of late!

If you can scrounge up a IIgs, you don't even need the Workstation card.  
LocalTalk is built in.

Steve

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 09:49:22 2003

> Sent: 18 May 2003 23:42
> Subject: RE: Data transfer from Apple ][ to PC
>

I've got 2 IIgs' here, a ROM 00 one signed by the man himself and a ROM 03
one. This means I only need a Shiva bridge....:) *hint to Mike Ford :o))*

cheers

---

From: Mike Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 18:07:01 2003

>one. This means I only need a Shiva bridge....:) *hint to Mike Ford :o))*

Just remind me and next time I come to the UK I will bring one. ;) It 
shouldn't be more than a year or so, and would be worth it just for the 
explaining what it is at the airport.

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 23 20:55:03 2003

Hi folks,

Here's a mail I've received from another collectors list, a teacher is
retiring soon and wants homes for 20 complete BBC Masters. Manchester area.

As usual, please contact him directly:

> I have around 20 128 Masters , disc drives and monitors and software
> available free for anyone to pick up in next two months. Can you
> tell me of any sites that might be interested. Manchester area.
> yes feel free to pass my e-mail but it is important that i am
> contacted  soon. The reason is that i am a teacher and am retiring
> in July and my successor wants to throw out the Master we have...
> g thompson" <[email-masked]>

cheers

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 10:38:37 2003

Yay - finally got my paws on a boxed Odyssey! It's a US model so I might
have some fun interfacing it with the TV card in my PC but it looks complete
apart from, wait for it, the rest of the 'game cable' that goes between the
Odyssey and the switch box - in the past someone's obviously needed a length
of coax and chopped everything apart from the last 8 inches off!

Does anyone have a spare I can buy/swap? Failing that does anyone know the
proper name of the plug used 'cos I can always make my own, though the plug
looks pretty non-standard.

Pics are up at http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk in the Magnavox section :)

cheers

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 10:38:49 2003

Hi folks,

I've received this request for a couple of items wanted on this side of the
pond. If anyone can help can they contact Tony Edwards directly on either
the number in the message below or at [email-masked].

cheers!

---------------------------------------------------------
message: Hi

I am trying to aquire a copy of Vintage computer parts for our Chairman to
put on display in our new building.

The first item Circa 1970 - GRI-909 Mini Computer - This is a tough one
The second item required is an example of Magnetic Core Memory. For either
item we are willing to purchase or Lease.
As a Technology Company ourselves we may have something of interest to you.

Please advise if you can be of help to each other

Regards - Tony Edwards
01793 833440

The Technologies Group
www.tech-group.co.uk
---------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bryan Pope <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 10:53:00 2003

> Pics are up at http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk in the Magnavox section :)

Hello,

	I just tried to view the pictures...  I am using Lynx at work so I 
tried accessing the "text" version of your site off the pages that says 
my browser does not support frames and received a 404 error.

	So I went through the "main" link and was able to get to the 
Magnavox section.  Do you use progressive scan encoding on your jpeg's?  
My OS is QNX 4.25 and the picture viewer does not like your jpeg's.  It 
give an error "Unsupported SOF marker type 0xc2".  (not that this may 
mean much)

Cheers,

Bryan

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 15:52:01 2003

F

>-----
>-----

Well, he's mailing around since some time, but as far as I know
never accepted an offer ...

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 5.0 am 01./02. Mai 2004 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 16:16:00 2003

> The first item Circa 1970 - GRI-909 Mini Computer - This is a tough one

Does anyone have a GRI-909 here?

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 15 17:12:00 2003

> Behalf Of Bryan Pope
> Sent: 13 June 2003 16:46
> Subject: Re: Magnavox Odyssey
>
>
> And thusly Witchy spake:
> >

Yeah, I forgot about that link. Because I was working at the time I didn't
have enough time or energy to keep the main version and the text version in
sync. Then I started redesigning it to lose the frameset and never finished
that either so it's in limbo :)

> give an error "Unsupported SOF marker type 0xc2".  (not that this may

Hmm. It appears that's the default for saving web pages on Photoshop 7, so
the answer is yes I do but I didn't know! I'll resave them as
non-progressive so check back tomorrow.

How does it look otherwise under QNX?

cheers

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:32:01 2003

> Behalf Of Hans Franke
> Sent: 13 June 2003 21:52
> Subject: Re: Items wanted in the UK for purchase or lease
>
>
> F

Really? It's the first time I've heard from him - how long has he been doing
this?

cheers

--
adrian/witchy - still looking for an Odyssey game cable :)
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:05:45 2003

Hi folks,

Alan Perry's message about Burroughs stuff has reminded me I've got loads of
it here that I'd like to keep but there's just too much of it and it doesn't
fit in the museum's ethos, so it's available free to a good home, UK only
and collection preferred from the Newcastle area. Of course I don't mind
shipping as long as full shipping costs are paid by the interested party,
though I imagine they'd not be far short of 'an arm and a leg' :)

Rough list:

B21 workstation, working and tested.
B21 workstation believed to be broken but I've not taken it out of its box
since it was sent here a couple of years ago.
Full BTOS doc set including languages and compilers.
Boxes of floppies including a couple of BTOS distros.
Spare motherboard
Spare hard drive
Might be other bits lurking in there!

Someone here will undoubtedly get more use out of them than I will....

Ade? Fancy putting 'em in yer warehouse? :o)

cheers

---

From: Alan Perry <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:32:00 2003

I picked up my B25, B26 and B38 today.  They also came with a third-party data 
storage system with a relatively large disk and a bernoulli drive (plus 
disks/cartridges for the bernoulli).  Just have to figure out how I am getting 
everything from CT back to Seattle.

I would love the docs and s/w and would be willing to pay shipping.  However, 
the hardware would be a pain to send as well (though, as much as I dislike the 
earlier B20 machines compared to the later ones, a B21 would make my collection 
more complete) and I am sure whoever gets the h/w would also like the s/w.

alan

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 27 20:21:00 2003

Hi Alan and group,

Happily Graeme from this list is local to me so he's coming tomorrow to pick
everything up :)

Got to dig it all out now, which'll be interesting 'cos its spread all over
the storage room!

cheers

> Behalf Of Alan Perry
> Sent: 25 June 2003 00:21
> Subject: Re: Burroughs B21 workstations available, UK
>
>

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 13 19:04:43 2003

Hi folks,

Does anyone have the means and the storage to rescue store 4 big-box PDPs
before the 21st July? I'm supposed to be doing it myself on tuesday (15th)
but I think the van hire costs will be too much for me since I'm
unemployed.....because I'm coming from the north it'll need 2 or 3 days van
hire (Luton with a tail-lift) and that's gonna cost me!

Anyone got any thoughts?

cheers