Subject: Thanks for suggestions with my "build a PDP" project

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 4 17:47:00 2003

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions regarding SCSI controller for RT-11,
DECserver in Kansas City, etc. All of this is leading up to me building a
PDP-11 SOMETHING out of parts I can afford.

I've worked with Mike McFadden and he bought the rack of equipment containing
the terminal server and is selling me the CPU board;

Thanks to Jonathan telling me about the auction, I bid on and won the "LSI-11
Box Blow Out" on eBay PLUS the QBUS chassis (sold separately); Watch for me to
announce the availability of the 11/23 CPU's and other boards from this
auction. Hopefully the sale of some of these things will defray some of the
expense of the construction of the PDP-11.

I already have a pair of SSSD 8" floppy drives I bought to use with E-11 and
PUTR to copy from my PC to RT-11 RX01 floppies - now I need to buy the adapter
board from John Wilson to connect the big floppy's to my old 486.

I have a DECserver 550 with its CPU and CXA16's; I may use the chassis and the
CPU, or just the one from Mike McFadden. Then again, I have enough stuff now
that I could build two systems.

I have a RQDX3 and RX50 for a floppy interface to the prospective PDP-11. I'll
use one of the drives from the "Blow Out" in the new system. The chassis I
bought in the "Blow Out" has a foundation module with disk controller, etc. on
it, so I may not need these items.

I have 2 Ethernet controllers, the one from my original DECserver 550 and a
DEQNA I recently bought. One of these is likely to go.

It seems to me I am almost set - all I have to do is get all the stuff here
and set it up :-) that should be a SNAP - right? Lets see - ~1978 to 2003 is
how many years old this stuff is??? Only 25 or so. Should be no problem <g>.

Regards,
Stuart Johnson