Subject: Got my Commodore CDTV today

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jun 5 19:43:00 2003

Well the Commodore CD-1000 CDTV box came today and now the search starts for
the mouse, 3.5 FD, remote control, keyboard, and monitor for it.  Also the
manuals for it. There is a good write-up and pic's of it at
www.cdtv.org.uk/1254.html.
It's based on the Amiga with a 68000 @ 7.14Mhz chip. Anyone having extra
parts for this computer that they do not need contact me off list.

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 6 08:35:00 2003

--- Keys <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Well the Commodore CD-1000 CDTV box came today and now the search starts
> for the mouse, 3.5 FD, remote control, keyboard, and monitor for it. 

Those are fun.  I used to have one until it was stolen in a burglary.

If you can't find a CDTV IR keyboard, it's possible to whip up a
keyboard converter to use a wired Amiga keyboard.

If you are having problems finding a black external 3.5" FD, an 
ordinary beige Amiga A1010 works great.

I do not know if there was ever a black monitor, but a regular Commodore
1080 or 2002 or any monitor that will sync to 15KHz (NEC 3d) will work,
as will a TV set.

The caddy is black, but is mechanically identical to the common caddies
used in CD-ROM drives of the vintage.

I "explored" mine with a DNet cable and the netkeys-handler.  Another
Amiga to the side provided the mouse and keyboard inputs over the
"network".

> parts for this computer that they do not need contact me off list.

Nope... no leftover parts, but a few sad memories.

Did you get the startup disc with it?  There's some interesting stuff
in the nooks and crannies, including a pair of files, one still pic
and a sound file with the same name... you'll know them when you find
them (don't worry... they aren't pr0n or anything).

-ethan

---

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 6 09:20:00 2003

The web site that I visited shows a picture of the black monitor and at
another site I found the model number for it. No I didn't get the start-up
disk (the seller kept it?) but I did get 1 black cd caddy with it. I also
got a copy of the hook-up instructions and volume one Catalog of Titles
which list both software and hardware for the unit.

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 6 13:58:00 2003

--- Keys <[email-masked]> wrote:
> No I didn't get the start-up disk (the seller kept it?)

It's not critical.  Most people never did much with it after they
unpacked the box.

One of the fun things that the CDTV (and CD32) will do is play CD+G
disks.  There used to be a FAQ with a list of pop music in that
format, but I can't seem to find it now.  I have several titles
by Fleetwood Mac and Little Feat that display graphics while they
play.  On all of the ones I have, you can read "CD+G" in tiny
letters around the inner surface of the disc.  These days, the only
people releasing CD+G media are Karaoke companies.

There was reputed to be one CD+MIDI disk (another format that the
CDTV and CD32 will play) - George Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue"
supposedly put out by Warner New Media.  I'd love to get a copy of
it just to fiddle around, but I've never been able to located it
in Warner's catalog.  It is supposed to have the same piece in three
renditions - CDDA only, CDDA+MIDI and MIDI only.  You would
have to attach a MIDI "voice" to hear the MIDI tracks.

-ethan

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 7 19:10:22 2003

And best of all, the German seller called ace-x is still selling brand new
remotes and rodents for the CDTV, as well as new A4000T motherboards
(unpopulated) and stacks of Amiga floppy drives. I'd double-check his
username but my ISP is being shit to say the least :( I can't even get to
local UK sites ATM....is this the beginning of Demon's downfall?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Keys
> Sent: 06 June 2003 15:15
> To: [email-masked]

---

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 7 19:22:00 2003

If you can send me his url. Thanks

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 01:46:22 2003

> If you can send me his url. Thanks

Ooh... me, too! 

> > And best of all, the German seller called ace-x is still selling brand
> > new remotes and rodents for the CDTV, as well as new A4000T
> > motherboards (unpopulated) and stacks of Amiga floppy drives...

-ethan

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 17:41:00 2003

Try this:

http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&user
id=act-e&sort=2&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1

You might need to cut'n'paste that link if it gets wrapped in your mail
reader though. There's at least 1 remote there on the first page.

cheers

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans

> Sent: 08 June 2003 01:16

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 17:41:56 2003

> Behalf Of Witchy
> Sent: 06 June 2003 23:01
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]

I was nearly right, his id is act-e :o)

cheers

---

From: "Merle K. Peirce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 18:15:01 2003

Today we had a bit of an open house, and although we did not have a lot 
of visitors, we were able to get our IBM System 80 going again, and 
more interestingly, out Plessey 6742.

M. K. Peirce

Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
Shady Lea, Rhode Island 

"Casta est quam nemo rogavit."
              
              - Ovid

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 9 13:13:00 2003

> more interestingly, out Plessey 6742.

Hey Merle.

I'd venture to guess that if you posted about your open house here, a lot
more people might've attended.

;)

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *