Subject: Howdy...new to list and a couple questions.

From: "Mike Shaw" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 16:04:01 2003

Hey there!  I hope this isn't bad form but I'm new to the list and just
wanted to put my collecting needs out there and ask a question or two.

Currently I'm partial to anything TRS-80, PCjr, or PC XT related.  But
I'm also trying to fill in some gaps with Commodore , TI 99, and Apple
II(e).

Also, where do y'all find most of your stuff?  There's always ebay, but
that's usually at a premium.  I've thought about notifying some of the
local auction houses to keep an eye out.

Any input would be appreciated, and it's good to know that there are
folks out there who don't immediately think "samford and son" whenever
they see "obsolete" hardware!

-Mike

---

From: "Gary Dean Hildebrand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 16:16:00 2003

> local auction houses to keep an eye out.

First, welcome to our little world and hope you enjoy your stay. 

I've found some of my goodies at hamfests, and very rarely at computer swap 
meets, as most computer vendors try to get the latest stuff they can.   
Sometimes Goodwill or other thrist stores might have something interesting.  
Mostly it is a matter of keeping eyes and ears open.  Quite often people 
will simply give stuff away rather than trying to deal with disposal.  
Auctions can be good; my girlfriend got me several dot matrix printers, a 
VGA monitor, and odds and ends of PC stuff for . . . $1.00.  And another 
good place is a computer recycling outfit, or office surplus organization, 
if any are nearby. 

Gary HIldebrand WA7KKP
St. Joseph, MO

---

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 16:28:01 2003

If you are looking for Apple stuff I find that School auctions are the best
source for Apple items. Also many still have older Commodore items as well.

---

From: Brian Heise <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 18:04:01 2003

Mike With the PCjr stuff, I might be a help.  I have a very extensive collection of PCjr items as well as my own site dedicated to PCjr stuff http://www.micro-zone.com   .  A lot of my stuff was bought on Ebay or through private channels via Usenet....Usenet requests are usually where I eneded up getting great amounts of extras that people on Ebay normally sold separately... Brian
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 18:08:49 2003

> I'm also trying to fill in some gaps with Commodore , TI 99, and Apple

Hey, Mike.  Where are you at?  I can probably help you out with an Apple
//e.

> local auction houses to keep an eye out.

Try this article for tips:

http://www.vintage.org/content.php?id=001

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 20:56:00 2003

>local auction houses to keep an eye out.

Well, knowing where roughly where you're located might help in answering that question.  For example, if you're in Oregon, let me know, and I can probably come up with some stuff (I'm not interested in shipping, so don't ask about shipping).

			Zane

-- 
--
| Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| [email-masked] (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
|     Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing,    |
|          PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum.         |
|                http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/               |

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 20 00:27:00 2003

> local auction houses to keep an eye out.

My non-eBay sources have been:
- Other enthusiasts (purchase, trade, giveaway)
- Scrapyards
- University surplus sales
- Goodwill computer stores

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp