Subject: RE: Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk image s)

From: "Feldman, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 7 08:29:01 2003

The thrifts I go to here in Chicago are not too bad about desktop systems
($10-$20 for 386/486 boxes, $5-$20 for monitors), but any laptop _starts_ at
$50, even XT or AT-class ones. A marginally useable 486 will most likely be
$150. I usually don't even bother with the hardware -- I go looking for old
MS-DOS software.

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert F. Schaefer [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 6:02 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk
images)

<snip>

I've heard many Texans on the list say something like `I passed up the quad
Xeon box at the salvation army 'cause it only had a half-gig of ram and they
wanted 45 bucks for it.'  Ok, maybe not quite like that, but the stuff they
talked about would *never* be seen in a local store, or priced higher than
new.  Literally.  The local $thrift_store_charities are hell-bent on making
a profit, and it bugs the crap outta me to see them selling junk, for
obscene prices, to poor people who might not know any better.  Whoops--
sorry.  </rant>
<snip>

Bob