Subject: Was HP 7914 - Priam 15050 & 3350s

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu Apr 17 20:33:00 2003

Actually IIRC the HP 7914 has a Priam 15050 single platter(?) hard drive with 
a 14 inch platter. The HP 7912 used the similar Priam 6650 drive.

These were used in many early computers from the late 70s to early 80s. Early 
Xerox 8010 Stars had them so there may be some info on the drives on Al 
Kossow's Site. 

IIRC these auto head park (with a loud clunk) when powered off. There may be 
drive &/or head locks too.

I am looking for information on starting up some Priam 3350s, 8 inch HD 
drives. I have an Intel 330 (6 slot Multibus 1) and an Intel 380 (14 Slot 
Multibus 1 with separate drive cabinet) that I want to fire up before I part 
with them. Both these use Priam 3350s. Also looking for ideas on how to start 
them safely. Last time I used them was about 1989. I did park the heads and 
locked the drives for the intervening years.

Paxton
Astoria, OR

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 18 07:22:03 2003

>drive &/or head locks too.

   There are locks on them. But they weren't locked! That's one reason I probably never find a good one. I think it's a long shot that this one is useable.

    Joe