Subject: Qbus artifact score!

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 2 14:34:00 2003

I was visiting a data-center-not-to-be-named and talked them out of an
item on the scrap heap - a CompuServe Tri-Node - it's a rackable box,
about 21" tall (twice as tall as an RX01, say), with *3* independent
Qbuses inside.  The only cards I got were some CompuServe-branded
grant cards and one terminator each.  I don't know how long ago it was
gutted, but it's been sitting on a pallet for months.

The front panel is in triplicate - three boot switches, three LTC
switches and three run switches.  It has three power switches on
the back, and three watchdog boards inside.

*Dual* boot?!?  Nay!  Three OSes in one!  I should have enough PDP-11
boards to have an RT-11, a 2BSD, and some thing else, all in the same
cabinet (external disks, naturally).  I have plenty of LSI-11 and
KDF-11 boards, but not KDJ-11, unfortunately.  If only there was a
DEC terminal with triple-session capability.  Maybe I could rig up a
video switcher and use three VT240 bases?!? (I know I can switch the
RS-232 line, but that won't preserve screen contents of the other sessions)
... or perhaps three ports on a terminal server...

The only thing missing is the back door skin.  It was apparently removed
some years ago, and none of the tri-nodes have them.

Should be a bunch of fun getting this guy running!

-ethan

---

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 2 17:47:29 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ethan Dicks" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 2:31 PM
Subject: Qbus artifact score!

<SNIP>
>If only there was a> DEC terminal with triple-session capability.

Ethan,

Try a VT525, it has FOUR sessions using cabling (does not require ssu or
multisessions). I have one and it is very helpful. Another way to do this is
with one VT-something terminal hooked to a DECserver 200 or 300 and use
reverse-LAT; connect the various computers consoles to the DECserver and use
the terminal to connect to the various ports to control or configure the
machine or boot / shutdown.

You can also connect a VT525 to a KVM switch and use one keyboard and mouse
to control PC's, Alpha's, etc.

Stuart Johnson

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 2 19:16:00 2003

--- Stuart Johnson <[email-masked]> wrote:
> multisessions).

Cool.  I'll keep my eyes out for one (but my newest DEC terminals are
VT220s and VT240s - I had some VT320s once, but I sold them before I
got home from the rescue).

> Another way to do this is
> reverse-LAT; 

I have a DECserver 200, but have never even applied power to it.  It
came with a small crate of VAXstation 2000s (aquired after a friend
died).  I don't currently have anything set up to serve MOP, so I
think I'd like to keep searching for a DECserver 300 that, hopefully,
will load via BOOTP/TFTP.

In any case, will a DECserver retain the contents of each session that
I could refresh when switching from port to port?

> You can also connect a VT525 to a KVM switch and use one keyboard and
> mouse to control PC's, Alpha's, etc.

Right.  I have a mechanical KVM switch and a 2-port electronic KVM
switch ($15 at the Hamvention).

Thanks for the suggestions,

-ethan

---

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 2 21:32:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ethan Dicks" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2003 7:13 PM
Subject: Multiple console sessions with DEC hardware (was Re: Qbus artifact
score!)

Ethan,

Check eBay, there currently is an auction for a vt525, see:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3409761014&category=1247
currently at $31, 3 days 22 hrs to go.

I've seen several go by recently for $150, but I paid $57 (plus shipping)
for mine back in December of last year

Good hunting!
Stuart Johnson.