Subject: HP85B Electronic disc

From: "RHahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 1 18:46:01 2003

Hello,

How do I delete or purge all files in the ED ":D000" without turning the
machine on and off. Is there a command to empty the  edisc od all files?

I am making backup copies of discs and storing the disc contents in ":D000"
when I copy a new disc all the files from the previous disc are stil in the
ED.

Thanks,

Bob

---

From: Hans Pufal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:24:53 2003

We recently got our 9915A industrial control computer semi functional. 
The 9915A is a repackaged version of the HP-85. It passes the self-test 
on power on but declares an error on the extended self-test.

Anyone have the error codes? We would also like information about the 
pinout of the keyboard connector and any other technical information 
about the box.

   -- hbp
      ACONIT

---

From: Hans Pufal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:25:06 2003

> machine on and off. Is there a command to empty the  edisc od all files?

I'm not familiar with the details but on page 292 of the HP-85B owner's 
manual and programming guide:

   PURGE "file-specifier" [, 0]

When ,0 is appended to the file specifier, the specified file and all 
files after it on the storage medium are purged.

So purging the first file on ED with ,0 should delete all files.

   -- hbp
      ACONIT

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:45:01 2003

> pinout of the keyboard connector and any other technical information 

The HP85 service manual is on the MoHPC CD-ROMs. There are differences 
between the 85 and the 9915A, but they're similar enough that this manual 
is a great help. All the major ICs from the 85 turn up in the 9915 
(There's one extra custom chip, an I/O translator, that you can find 
details of in any of the HP85 interface manuals). 

The keyboard connector is a DB25. The pinout is : 

1 : Shield
2 : R0
3 : R1
4 : R2
5 : R3
6 : R4
7 : Ground
8 : Ground
9 : R5
10 : R6
11 : R7
12 : R8
13 : R9
14 : C0
15 : C1
16 : C2
17 : C3
18 : C4
19 : C5
20 : C6
21 : C7
22 : Shift/
23 : Ctrl/
24 : Capslock/
25 : Speaker

The keyboard matrix is the same as the 85, and is connected between the 
row (Rn) and column (Cn) lines  The shift, control, and capslock keys are 
connected between the appropriate pin and ground. I am told the speaker 
is an 8 ohm unit, connected between pin 25 and ground.

The Control connector, a DA15, has the following pinout :
1 : LED0
2 : LED1
3 : LED2 
4 : LED3
5 : LED4
6 : LED5
7 : LED6
8 : LED7
9 : Run/
10 : Test
11 : Power OK
12 : Ground
13 : StartSw/
14 : TestSw/
15 : Shield

It basically carries the signals used on the front panel PCB. LEDn are 
the 8 user-definable LEDs. Run and Test are the signals for the 2 LEDs 
with those labels on the panel (note that one seems to be inverted, the 
other isn't!). The 2 switch signals correspond to the run and test 
switches on the panel -- the external switches go between those signals 
and ground.

The 4 function keys on the left of the front panel are just the user 
definable keys on the HP85, and appear in the keyboard matrix as you'd 
expect.

The video connector is composite monochrome video at (US) TV scan rates. 
Just about any composite mono monitor will work.

-tony

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 20:25:29 2003

I have a keyboard for the 9915 and I disassembled it and made a schematic
of the keyboard and then posted that several months ago. Check the archives.

    Joe