Subject: 8" drive hooked up to a PC

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu May 29 11:51:01 2003

> That way those of us with
> an 8" hooked to a PC could make 8" disks.
> 

How do you do this? I am interested. 

What floppy controller do you use? I am assuming it is for the ISA bus? 
Anything for a PCI bus. 

Anything for EISA, I am keeping one EISA bus system.

Paxton
Astoria, OR

---

From: "Bill Sudbrink" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 29 12:32:01 2003

>Anything for EISA, I am keeping one EISA bus system.

Look in the comp.os.cpm FAQ.  It's Q14.  There's not much to it.
Just a matter of making a converter cable to go from the 34 pin
floppy connector on any "PC" compatible floppy controller to the
50 pin connector on the 8 inch drive.  You may have to play around
with the drive select and the head load/motor on signals to get
it to work just right.

---

From: Don Maslin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 29 15:48:00 2003

> floppy connector on any "PC" compatible floppy controller to the

Careful there!  If the 8" disks involve any single density (FM)
recording then just *any* floppy controller will not do.  Look for
one with a 37C65 chip or the NS 8743 chip, or a CompatiCard I or
IV (hard to find).
						- don