Subject: Re: Flamingo Wont Boot

From: "Steve Jones" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 21 01:19:00 2003

>> Flamingo DEC 3000 Model 500 Home...won't  boot. ... had DEC UNIX
.
> OK.  I *think* Ultrix was the only OS commercially available (not sure
> about the later product named "Digital Unix" that was formerly OSF/1)

Ultrix was never commercially available on Alpha hardware, AFAIK. As
Eric Dittman pointed out, VMS was available in addition to Digital Unix.

Ultrix was based on 4BSD; Digital Unix was based on OSF/1, one of
the less successful offerings from the very misleadingly named (in
today's context) Open Software Foundation. While their Motif GUI was
widespread, OSF/1 was not - in fact it's a good trivia question to ask
who aside from DEC ever shipped it. (Intel Paragon. AIX/ESA? Encore?)

Anyway, I checked and I don't have docs for this model. But just
yesterday I dragged out my 3000/300LX and had to reseat the memory
before the machine would behave...

Good luck,
--Steve.

smj(at)spamfree.crash.com   (lose spamfree to get through, m'kay?)