Subject: Apple IIgs

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 2 19:37:00 2003

Anybody happen to have disk images of GS/OS before 6.0? I wanted something to
tinker around with on my IIgs with 1mb ram expansion. I have no software for
it at the moment.

---

From: Cameron Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 2 19:40:01 2003

> tinker around with on my IIgs with 1mb ram expansion. I have no software for

Why before 6.0? GS/OS 6 will work just fine on a 1MB IIgs (I've done it).

-- 
----------------------------- personal page: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * [email-masked]
-- There are few problems that the liberal usage of high explosives can't cure.

---

From: Jim Arnott <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 2 20:30:00 2003

> Why before 6.0? GS/OS 6 will work just fine on a 1MB IIgs (I've done it).

I have the 6.0.1 images if you need.

Jim

-- 
If there is light in the soul, there will be beauty in the person.
If there is beauty in the person, there will be harmony in the house.
If there is harmony in the house, there will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation, there will be peace in the world.
~ Chinese Proverb ~

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 2 20:33:01 2003

Well on older machines I have never used before I like trying out older OS's
and then as my interest in the machine grows I upgrade to newer OS. Gives
you a better apreciation for the hardware and its origins.

Do you have any of the older images? 6.0 is available from apples website I
believe.

---

From: Ian Primus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 2 20:39:01 2003

I have the actual floppies for the IIgs System Software Update 4.0, but 
I don't know if this is a full, useable system, or just an update, I 
have never used them, seeming as though Apple has System 6.0.1 for free 
download on their FTP.

Ian Primus
[email-masked]

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 19:51:00 2003

I tried to load 6.01 this morning but the system screen stops when the OS
bar gets under the S on the screen during boot (disk drive light dies out
also). I checked the system from the bios diagnostic and everything checked
out as system ok.

The system has the 1meg card with full population of chips and both jumpers
are on (apple brand memory upgrade), so I assume it should boot off the 6.01
disk market system (The unit unfortunatly doesnt have a hard drive just 5.25
and 3.5 floppy).

I used a Q840AV to make the 3.5 DSDD disks from apples images.

---

From: Ian Primus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 20:12:00 2003

IIRC, the IIgs sometimes did funny things if you had the 5 1/4 floppies 
connected to the computer before the 3 1/2 inch drives, because then 
the Apple 3.5" drives wouldn't sense one of the signals. A general rule 
of thumb is - Apple 3.5's first, then Unidisk 3.5, then 5 1/4. I don't 
know if this has anything to do with your problem, but it's worth a 
shot. Also, make sure the drives and disks involved are working 
properly. I've had worn DSDD floppies that worked fine in a 
Superdrive-equipped Mac, but wouldn't read properly on an 800k drive.

Ian Primus
[email-masked]

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 09:19:00 2003

--- Ian Primus <[email-masked]> wrote:
> A general rule of thumb is - Apple 3.5's first, then Unidisk 3.5, then
> 5 1/4.

When you make a distinction between "Apple 3.5" and "Unidisk 3.5", I'm
not certain I understand.  Is there a difference between older, beige
19-pin Apple-manufactured disk drives and "newer", "platinum" external
disk drives?  If so, that may explain why I have a short stack of drives
that never worked with a Mac Plus (I used to help my mother out with
her all-Mac typesetting shop - when she closed in 1997, her primo
machine was a 4MB SE w/18MB disk drive).

So... at a signal/component level, what's the difference?  Just a 
different mechanism with different characteristics, or is there a
content difference between the end of the drive and the end of the
cable?

-ethan

(this is somewhat relevant - I have a couple of IIgs models, ROM 0 and,
IIRC, ROM 3, as well as plenty of II+ and one IIc + one IIc+.  I'm 
no longer sure what I can attach to what).

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 09:50:00 2003

> no longer sure what I can attach to what).

I don't know about the differences with regards to a Mac, but on the ][,
the 5.25" drives, whether it's called a "Unidisk" or '5.25" Drive' are the
same.  As for the 3.5" drives, I am also assuming the name change is the
only difference, but I never had practical experience with them.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Eric Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 15:13:00 2003

Ethan asked:
> not certain I understand.

The Unidisk 3.5 is a "smart" drive, it has a 650x microprocessor, ROM,
RAM, etc. inside.  It would work on any Apple II family machine with
a 19-pin disk connector.  I think it would even work on the original
Disk II controller with the 20-pin header, if you wired an appropriate
adapter.  You wouldn't be able to boot from it, though, since the boot
ROM on the Disk II controller didn't know about it.  The Unidisk 3.5
will NOT work on a Macintosh, except perhaps attached to the Apple II
emulator board for the LC.

The other extenal 3.5 drives, including the original 400K and 800K
drives, the Apple 3.5 drive, and the external FDHD/Superdrive, are
"dumb" drives.  Unless you have a "smart" controller, these drives
will only work on the IIgs and IIc+.

The Unidisk 3.5 is only recommended if you don't have a computer or
controller that can handle the "dumb" drives.  Using the Unidisk on
a IIgs is particularly annoying, because GS/OS has to keep polling
the drive to see if you've inserted a disk, and every time it polls
the drive makes noise.

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 09:17:01 2003

I replaced the ram card with a different one and OS 6.01 load up fine now.

Now I wish I could find a scsi card and HD that doesnt cost 4 times what the
whole machine, monitor, and drives cost me.

TZ