Subject: OT - Geek Destinations in Kansas City?

From: Bill Richman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 18:35:19 2003

We'll be in Kansas City over a weekend in the near future.  Are there any
good surplus stores, museums, geek toy stores, etc, that we should be sure
to visit?  Suggestions appreciated!

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue Jul 22 18:51:00 2003

> to visit?  Suggestions appreciated!

Only one place left for serious scrounging and that's Surplus Exchange,
1100 Hickory, down in the West Bottoms.

There's Computer Garage, but he doesn't have much old stuff.  Computer
Swap Shop on Johnson Drive in Mission has a bit more, but he's been
cleaning out the non-moving merchandise.

If you like new (and can handle the pricetag)  Micro Center on 90th and
Metcalf in Overland Park KS is nice to wander through.  Very good
selection of computer books, some are even on sale.

Beyond Bytes on 40 Highway near MO 291/I-670 has a very small selection,
not really worth going to unless you're looking for something to buy that
day.

His Will Computer Surplus on 23rd in Independence has a lot of wall warts,
if you need one.  A smattering of other things, and a nice selection of PC
cases.

T-t-t-t-that's all f-f-f-f-folks,

Gary Hildebrand
St. Joseph, MO

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 21:16:01 2003

I went to KC last year and Gary Hildebrand and I went around to a bunch
of local surplus computer places. The only good one IMO was in Topeka. I
don't remember the name but Gary can tell you and give you directions.

    Joe

---

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 22:00:01 2003

Gary

Is this all in Kansas City Kansas, or Missouri?

:^)

We will be moving soon, better buy the stuff you want before I get 
there!

No -- only kidding.

Ron Hudson.

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 23:13:00 2003

> to visit?  Suggestions appreciated!

You can go to KansasFest, the last hold-out Apple ][ user conference:

http://www.kfest.org/

Woz himself will be there this year.  It started today and goes on until
Sunday.  Hans Franke will also be there, as well as Jeri Ellsworth,
designer of the CommodoreOne.

This is Kansas City, MISSOURI, by the way.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed Jul 23 00:40:37 2003

> Is this all in Kansas City Kansas, or Missouri?

Yes

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed Jul 23 00:45:01 2003

> don't remember the name but Gary can tell you and give you directions.

Kansas Computer Recyclers in Topeka isn't anywhere as good as it used to
be.  First they moved across the street, and left all the really vintage
behind, and then the building they were in was condemmed by the city.  Now
they've moved again, and I'm sure things have thinned out again.

Aformentioned is where I got my prize haul of Amiga stuff a couple years
ago.  I think the used computer market is so depressed with the dirt cheap
prices of new stuff, that most people just toss the old stuff in the
dumpster.  What a waste --- but that is the AMERICAN WAY.

Gary Hildebrand