Subject: RE: H89 CP/M hard-secored boot diskette

From: "Dwight K. Elvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 1 16:54:00 2003

>From: "Patrick Rigney" <[email-masked]>

>> According to my H89 manual, it takes 10 sector disks. I have had my H89
>> for a while, but I haven't been able to locate any software for it yet.
>> I bought it at a hamfest and the person that sold it to me claims to have
>> the software and that they will send it to me, but I'm not holding my
>> breath...
>
>Tom, Tony,  et al,
>
>Maybe I can be of some help to a few people here.  I have a
>recently-acquired soft sector controller and some other spare parts.  I have
>no idea if the soft sectored controller works, because I just got it and
>have yet to plug it in.  All of the software I do have is hard-sector
>HDOS... no CP/M whatsoever.  I thought I had it, but apparently I don't,
>unless I missed a box.  I have already contacted Don Maslin off list to
>request a soft-sectored Magnolia CP/M boot disk, and check my thinking
>here... it should be possible to create a bootable hard sector disk from the
>bootable soft sectored one by installing both controllers.  Unless I'm
>missing something, that seems like a no-brainer.  If that is in fact
>possible, I will be happy to share the benefits of that (small) labor with
>those in need.

Hi
 You do know that there is a hardware modification needed to run
CP/M? As far as I know, this makes it so that it doesn't run
HDOS. I could be wrong though, it has been a while since I looked
at this issue.
 You should also try to get a copy of the listing for the hard
sectored controller as well. I may have a copy of this someplace
( it was published by HeathKit ). I think the soft sectored
code was also published.

>
>One unfortunate rub since my earlier discussion in this thread with Tony...
>last night I pulled my reference machine out of storage and powered it up,
>and it almost boots.  Almost.  A working machine went into storage six
>months ago, but what has emerged seems to take a (hard sector) disk read
>error on every modulo-10 numbered sector starting at 40 (that's sector, not
>track), with any diskette I use.  No problem with any other sectors, just
>40, 50, 60, etc.  I have to diag and solve this problem first, obviously.
>Disk rotation speed is good (between 177 and 200), so any pointers any of
>you may have may help me save time dinking around.  I have both spare drives
>and controllers, but all are in unknown states at this point.  Timing wise,
>once that's fixed, I will need to have received the disk from Don, and see
>if the soft-sectored controller is working at all, and diagnose THAT if not.
>And THEN we'll be in business.

 Check to see that none of the rubber from the drive belt is sticking
on the flywheel or drive pully. Check with your finger to make sure
both surfaces are very smooth. Even a tiny bump will cause read
errors. As I recall, these came as single sided so you also need
to check the pad on the head load.
Dwight

>
>For those of you who would like either the bootable HDOS (hard sector) or
>the bootable CP/M (hard sector) when this gets sorted out, please reply to
>me OFF LIST.  I'm hoping the hard sector drive problem is trivial.  I also
>found a bootable/standalone HDOS diskette with a comm program on it, so
>those that don't specifically need CP/M could use this, if you like.
>
>Ideas on the disk issue?
>
>Patrick

---

From: "Patrick Rigney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 1 17:25:00 2003

> ( it was published by HeathKit ). I think the soft sectored

Dwight, yes, I had heard that before, and forgotten, so thanks for bringing
it up.  IIRC that change was to move the start of RAM to $0000 (CP/M
friendly).  Do you recall if there are other changes (other than the impact
this may have on any (EP)ROM that's in the way)?

Thanks for the pointers on the floppy drive... I'll be cracking the case
tonight...

Patrick