Subject: Re: fair price for apple articles

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 09:40:01 2003

>> 2 Apple II GS, a IIc (claimed to be new in box), a Mac Plus, couple 
monitors,
>> external floppy and hard drives and "scads of software and manuals".
>
>$100 is fair.

WOW! I can't believe Sellam of all people over priced this bundle.

$100 is very generous for what is listed. Unless there are some really 
unusual monitors or software/manuals, then I don't think the lot is worth 
more than about $20, and that is more as a "thanks for letting me have 
it" gesture.

I have aquired everything mentioned above (catagorically, obviously I 
don't have specifics on the monitors, drives, software, manuals), from 
the curbside garbage in the last six months.

There could be things that bump the value up a bit. Such as the IIc being 
truely brand new never opened (and not just clean and reboxed). If the 
IIgs are Rom 0 units (or Woz units), and if the monitors or hard drives 
are large (20" monitors, and 10+ gig drives). The software and manuals, 
unless it is current release stuff, exotic hard to find stuff, or things 
you care about owning real copies of (vs abondonware copies), then it is 
of little value.

Bear in mind, even if there are parts that pump up the value, you need to 
overcome the $20 "thank you" price first, so you start at $0 and go up, 
not start at $20 and go up.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 12:18:00 2003

> more than about $20, and that is more as a "thanks for letting me have

My rough thought process:

Apple //gs - $20 each
Apple //c new in box - $50
Mac Plus - $5
Monitors - $5 each
Misc. drives - $10
"scads of software and manuals" - I'm assuming "scads" is worth about $25

Total: $140

One quick no-hassle sale = $100 fair price

> the curbside garbage in the last six months.

Including a "new in the box" //c and "scads" of software?  That's what I
would value most in the lot mentioned.

> truely brand new never opened (and not just clean and reboxed). If the

It doesn't need to be "never opened".  Having the original box in good
shape and the original manuals, is uncommon.

> IIgs are Rom 0 units (or Woz units), and if the monitors or hard drives

Woz signature units are of no real significance.

> are large (20" monitors, and 10+ gig drives). The software and manuals,

We're talking Apple ]['s here.  20" monitors and 10+ gig hard drives do
not even come into the equation.

> you care about owning real copies of (vs abondonware copies), then it is

That's where you are completely wrong and why you don't understand my
pricing.  The software, as long as most of it is in original boxes with
original disks, is the real prize.  Your opinion may vary on this of
course, but the fact is that original software in the box is harder to
find than the machines themselves.  And without the software and manuals,
the computer is just a pretty object.

> not start at $20 and go up.

Fine, call it $50 if the seller just wants to dump it.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Fred Cisin (XenoSoft)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 13:03:00 2003

> WOW! I can't believe Sellam of all people over priced this bundle.

That depends; how many manuals are there per scad?

Besides,
What is "fair",
What it's "worth",
What it'd get on e-Bay,
What Sellam would be willing to pay,
are all different.

---

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 13:15:00 2003

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Fred Cisin (XenoSoft)" <[email-masked]>
To: "Classic Computer" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: fair price for apple articles

> What Sellam would be willing to pay,

And your point is? :-)

Stuart Johnson

---

From: "Fred Cisin (XenoSoft)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 14:20:00 2003

> > That depends; how many manuals are there per scad?

Just that all pricing is subjective; and that "fair" is relative.

I've seen a box of books worth WAY more than a dumpster full of stuff.

On more than one occasion, Sellam bought stuff from me, and told me where
and how I could sell the stuff for more than he was willing to pay.
He has always been honorable in differentiating the value v the price.

When he says that a price is "fair", that doesn't necessarily mean that he
would pay that much for it.

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 16:41:00 2003

> would pay that much for it.

This is true.

*I* wouldn't pay $100 for it, but I was being subjective in my valuation.

--

---

From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 04:50:01 2003

Assuming the buyer and the seller are adults, then surely "a fair  
price" is simply another way of saying "whatever price pleases the  
buyer to offer and the seller to receive"?
Tim Challenor

On Wednesday, March 5, 2003, at 06:09 PM, Vintage Computer Festival

---

From: Huw Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 05:18:00 2003

OK, this is OT but it's how I read classiccmp...

When I read messages using Eudora 4.3.2 (paid mode) I get to see lots of 
headers I can do without. For example a typical message starts:

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 10:47:24 +0000
From: Tim <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: fair price for apple articles
Sender: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.551)
X-BeenThere: [email-masked]
X-Mailman-Version: 2.0.10
X-Original-Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:47:24 +0000
X-Authentication-warning: huey.classiccmp.org: mailnull set sender to
cctalk-admin using -f
List-Post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-Subscribe: <http://www.classiccmp.org/mailman/listinfo/cctalk>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
List-Unsubscribe: <http://www.classiccmp.org/mailman/listinfo/cctalk>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/>
List-Help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-Id: General Discussion: On-Topic and Off-Topic Posts
<cctalk.classiccmp.org>
Original-recipient: rfc822;[email-masked]

Which occupies an aweful lot of screen real estate. Anyone have any ideas 
of what setting to tune to turn off most (if not all) of these headers. The 
preview window only shows Subject: and To:

I've done some google searches and visited www.qualcomm.com but the 
suggested solutions don't do a thing for me.

Also, if this message appears as html or rtf please tell me and I'll see 
which setting I've changed. If there wasn't hundreds of Mb of archived 
messages that would have to be manually refiltered I'd move to something 
like Evolution.

Huw Davies           | e-mail: [email-masked]
Melbourne            | "If soccer was meant to be played in the
Australia            | air, the sky would be painted green"

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 08:21:00 2003

> >> monitors, external floppy and hard drives and "scads of software and manuals".

> more than about $20, and that is more as a "thanks for letting me have 

Well, he isn't always that cheap... :)

My quess would habve been anywhere between 50 and 150 USD, asumeing
that it's from the original owver, and therefore working and more
important with a huge pile of documentation and software. Also
IIgs systems that are still in use (or where until recently) are
usualy well equipped, often with harddrives etc. I'd take a look
at least.

Gruss
H.
P.S.: For a working GS Transwarp and/or GS Harddisk even I'd offer
some green paper.

--
VCF Europa 4.0 am 03./04. Mai 2003 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 08:59:08 2003

Hi,

   I use Eudora too and I get the same thing. I've been through all the settings and help files and I can't find a way to get rid of that stuff either. If you find a way, let me know.

   Joe