Subject: What is this Apple cable

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 09:49:00 2003

Anyone know what this cable might go to:

Its an Apple looking cable (Apple Platinum, same physical connector style 
as they used, and found in a box of Apple/Mac stuff... it just lacks an 
actual Apple logo). It goes from 15 pin D-shell (Mac RGB style) to 9 pin 
D-shell (PC Serial style).

Assuming it to be an Apple cable, it looks like it would go from RGB to 
something. I'm not aware of any Apple monitors that use a 9 pin connector 
however. I know there were some 3rd party ones for early Macs (some full 
page monitors and the likes), but I didn't know of any that would 
interface with the Mac's RGB connector. Of course, this doesn't rule out 
that it is a 3rd party video cable that maybe went to a custom video card 
(like most of the 9 pin using 3rd party monitors I have seen do, only 
those that I have seen that use 9 pin have all been 9 pin to 9 pin, not 
15 to 9).

So, has anyone seen a cable like this before that can do better job of 
speculating what it is for. I am going under the assumption that it is an 
Apple cable, but if anyone has seen a similar cable for the PC or other 
systems, I'll be happy to entertain those ideas as well.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: Paul Mika <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 10:04:00 2003

Maybe the cable used on an Apple version of a pc operating system. Uaes the
Mac chassis and a Mac processor then adds a pc processor on a small board in
a slot. I never found a connector for the board that I have. It is as you
say a 9 pin.