Subject: RE: MITS Altair 8800a for sale on eBay

From: "David Gari" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 14:34:00 2003

Wayne,

Right on count (2), and it IS like selling one of your blue metallic  
children that you've kept in a closet for 20 years so you can feed your real 
family.

Auction in question: 
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3404786716

David Gari

P.S. I thought that everyone on the planet had all agreed 10 years ago to 
place new info in a message thread FIRST (on top) so we can get to the new 
stuff easily...

>From: "Wayne M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
>Subject: RE: MITS Altair 8800a for sale on eBay
>Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 00:33:35 -0800
>
> > Hi David.
> > Why on Earth would you be selling your "pride and joy"?
> >
> > Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage
> > Computer Festival
>
>Either because (1) it isn't, or (2) he's got another one.  But, frankly, 
>it's like selling one of your children.

_________________________________________________________________
Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 14:56:01 2003

> place new info in a message thread FIRST (on top) so we can get to the new

What are you trying to start ANOTHER flamewar about this topic??  Please
don't...

Pat
--
Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu

---

From: ben franchuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 15:56:00 2003

David Gari
> P.S. I thought that everyone on the planet had all agreed 10 years ago 
> to place new info in a message thread FIRST (on top) so we can get to 
> the new stuff easily...

Well nobody asked me. Mind you I may not have been on this planet 10
years ago. I don't care where you put your new information as along
as you trim your posts.
Ben.

---

From: "Wayne M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 16:06:00 2003

Everyone on the planet except this list.

-W

P.S.  Oops!

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 21:41:00 2003

> place new info in a message thread FIRST (on top) so we can get to the new

No, we didn't.

And one shameless plug for your eBay auction is enough, please.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 07:47:01 2003

>And one shameless plug for your eBay auction is enough, please.

   Why? The traffic has been sort of light on here lately.

   Joe

---

From: "Heinz Wolter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 10:44:01 2003

> Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer
Festival

Ah, the Royal We- Sellams speaks for  us all. Speaking of lack of shame...
how about all your calls for equipment and documentation-
for your "paying customers". That is for a commercial venture,
and not a personal, hobbyist sale, as this one is.
h

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 10:59:00 2003

> and not a personal, hobbyist sale, as this one is.

I think I'd call anything sold on eBay (or otherwise to try to get more
than just a 'token' amount... like $5-$10) to be a commercial venture.
Hell, I'm a hobbyist but I'd be lying to your face if I tried to tell you
that anything I put on ebay wasn't 'for profit' or any type of 'commercial
venture'.

And no, I don't have a problem with the ad's on here.  I don't advertise
auctions of mine on here; however, I don't usually auction things that
are 'on-topic' for this list, either.

Ok, time for me to get off of my soapbox.

Pat

---

From: "J.C.Wren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 11:18:00 2003

Geez, give the poor guy a break.  He's not selling this because he WANTS
to.  Didn't ANYONE read his message?  He's unemployed, the economy sucks, he
needs the money, and he's got an asset.  I just wish I had the bucks to buy
it.  It's a really nice system.

>As for your question below Sellam, I'll give you 3 guesses and the first 2
don't count.
>P.S. I'm unemployed.

	Good luck, David, and I hope you get as much as you can for it.  It hurts
to sell the things you care for because you have to, not because you want
to.

	--John

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 20:34:00 2003

> and not a personal, hobbyist sale, as this one is.

Heinz,

Anyone who's ever responded to my bounty requests and successfully
supplied me with what I was looking for has always been paid a generous
share of what I earn in the process.  I am making it possible for folks to
put this hobby to work for them.

However, since you object to this revenue sharing scheme, I'll be sure to
exclude you.

--