Subject: Slightly OT

From: "Dwight K. Elvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 11:56:01 2003

Hi
 I couldn't help but pass this on:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3611062497&category=40129

later
Dwight

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 13:49:05 2003

Did you notice all the 0-feedback bidding?

Nevermind the dubious authenticity... I'm staying far away from that
auction.

-ethan

---

From: "Patrick Rigney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 15:04:01 2003

> Nevermind the dubious authenticity... I'm staying far away from that

Yeah, and it seems a good bit, if not all, of the electronics were
long-removed.  So it's an expensive polished sphere.

Oh well, my wife would succumb to spontaneous combustion if UPS dropped
Sputnik on the porch, anyway.  Patrick :-)

---

From: Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 15:49:00 2003

>long-removed.  So it's an expensive polished sphere.

Which, at least to me, is pointless... :-/

>Sputnik on the porch, anyway.  Patrick :-)

As long as her life insurance covered that particular form of demise, I'd 
think you'd be bidding that rascal up!!! ;-)

*My wife* would just whack me in the head with it; so for that, I'd rather 
she used a much less expensive 2x4...

Oh well,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
[email-masked]

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 15:53:00 2003

> long-removed.  So it's an expensive polished sphere.

I'm sure I could outfit a nice machine shop and hire some Russians
to *make* me a replica for a lot less than the current bid price.  :-)
 
> Sputnik on the porch, anyway.  Patrick :-)

If I had $25K to blow and I dropped it on _that_ instead of something
interesting, like an Antarctic Total Eclipse Cruise (23-Nov-2003),
I'd be in similar straits.

-ethan

---

From: Kevin Handy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 16:08:00 2003

>I'd be in similar straits.

The current bid is $500,700 (way above the buy-it-now price it
originally had), so your bid of 25K is far short of the goal.

But it still has about 24 hours to go, so get your bid in now.

Or maybe you could bid on that Univac (one vacuum?) instead.
It comes with a trailer.

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 16:38:00 2003

> originally had), so your bid of 25K is far short of the goal.

Holy Sh*t, Batman!  It was $25K the last time I looked (4 bids or
so).

That is beyond absurd.

> But it still has about 24 hours to go, so get your bid in now.

Riiiight.

-ethan

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 4 17:30:01 2003

> Holy Sh*t, Batman!  It was $25K the last time I looked (4 bids or

The current high bidder, urban-motion, has another auction up with
this in the description:

    I am a 27 year old father with a newborn daughter and bills to
    pay. I work one full time and one part time job totalling 40-60
    hours a week and I love to write in my spare time. To help
    supplement our income I sell a variety of things on Ebay and look
    for creative ways to honestly make a buck. So, I thought that I
    could write original poetry for you and also increase your
    feedback rating at the same time. By purchasing this auction, I
    will write you an original poem and leave you wonderful positive
    feedback.

    The poem will be completely 100% original and will be emailed to
    you within 24 hours of payment. Feedback will be left as soon as I
    receive payment.

    Payment is accepted through paypal only using any major credit
    card.

    Thanks for looking and god bless!!!!!

I am not making this up, you can see it yourself at:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2932949148>

-Frank McConnell

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu Jun 5 08:13:39 2003

I don't think any of those bidders actually intend on paying.  8-)

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: James Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 6 17:39:00 2003

Did anyone see this:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/06/06/sputnik.ebay.reut/index.html

-- 
http://webpages.charter.net/jrice54/classiccomp2.html