Subject: Re: Manual "Practical Microprocessors" wanted

From: "Glen S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 12 17:53:01 2003

I have an HP 5036A (actually two now) and was able to pick up one copy of 
the manual for $15 plus shipping on eBay last December.  I haven't noticed 
any other copies go by on eBay since then, but I haven't looked too often.  
The 5036A kits show up frequently in the $20+ range, but almost always 
without the manaul.

Since I only have the one copy I don't want to part with it now, but I could 
probably at least type in the ROM listing from the manual sometime if you 
don't have a copy of that.  A quick Google search didn't turn up a copy of 
the ROM listing online anywhere.

-Glen

>I'm looking for a manual that goes with a HP 5036A Microprocessor Lab (8085
>trainer in a briefcase). The manual is "Practical Microprocessors" and was
>published by HP some years ago. I am not looking for a museum piece, just a
>manual to use with the Lab.
>
>I am also interested in accessories and information about the 5036A.
>
>If anyone has such a manual to sell or trade, please contact me off list.
>
>Thanks,
>Stuart Johnson

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: "Bill Kotaska" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 13 19:08:00 2003

> the ROM listing online anywhere.
Glen,
I would also be interested in a ROM dump or other info on the 5036A. I have
one as well no docs to speak of. Is the schematic included in "Practical
Microprocessors"? This would be very helpful. You're right - there is no
info on this to be found anywhere online.
Bill Kotaska

---

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 01:33:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Kotaska" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2003 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: Manual "Practical Microprocessors" wanted

> info on this to be found anywhere online.

Glen, Bill,

The 5036A is a real machine, isn't it! I have several single board computers
and 2 Heathkit trainers (ET-3400 & ET-3400A with ETA-3400 MIO), but none of
that equipment begins to compare with the HP 5036A. Besides being designed
into a briefcase (and workstand), it is VERY functional, and is built like a
tank. My hat is off to the team of folks that designed, built, programmed,
and built the educational materials for the machine!

-- on to the topic --

The schematic is in the "HP User's Guide for the 5036A", of which I have a
xerographic copy. It is several pages and is organized as flip-up's, pull
outs, etc. I have plans to scan the User's Guide, but my scanner is not
presently connected to my computer; I changed PC boxes not long ago and
haven't set EVERYTHING up yet on the new(er) box.

If you wish, I can include you in any distribution of the User's Manual I
make. I will also put a link to it on the hobby (retrocomputing) web site
I'm working on at the present.

Glen, does the book have the assembly source for the ROM? That would be
useful to have, if it isn't entirely too much trouble to type in. I am also
interested in the "peripherals" I saw sold with one 5936A, edge connectors
labeled "mass storage" and so on. What does the book say about them? Would
they be worth duplicating?

I will persist in my search for the "Practical Microprocessors" book. I have
found that it is used at two educational institutions, but have not had any
luck getting a response from either in regards to getting a copy of the
book. Information on their web sites indicated that the institutions had
been granted the right to reprint the book, which I found very interesting.

Regards,
Stuart