Subject: please help

From: "tim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 10 10:37:43 2003

I have a Slt 286 that powers up fine and was working fine. it has lotus, and
word on it and when i turned it on today it says insert setup disk into a: and
there is no way for me to get around it. i can't get to c:, please help

[email-masked]

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 10 10:59:29 2003

--- tim <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I have a Slt 286 that powers up fine and was working fine. it has lotus,
> and word on it and when i turned it on today it says insert setup disk
> into a: and there is no way for me to get around it. i can't get to c:,
> please help

Sounds like your Dallas clock battery has died.

I was unable to get my SLT 286 to work until I located a replacement.
IIRC, it's a DS1287, but they are not available new because they have
a Y2K bug.  There is a "modern" replacement part, but I have not tried it.

It's a sealed unit, so it's not possible to "change" the battery.
Excavation might be an option, but the case of the SLT is so tight
that when I installed a low-profile socket in mine (to accept the
"new" DS1287), I had to trim the aluminum shrouding that defines the
bottom of the battery case to let the Dallas chip pass through (my
SLT 286 never had a battery - mine is permanently affixed to its
docking station for power).  Whatever solution you attempt must
not elevate the Dallas chip in any way, especially not by having exposed
leads higher than the chip package.

-ethan

-ethan

---

From: Ernest Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 10 13:54:00 2003

[email-masked]

Sounds like your hard drive might be dead.

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 10 14:32:00 2003

> Sounds like your hard drive might be dead.
Actually, sounds more like it lost its NVRAM config.  The SLT
stuff *should* be still available from the Compaq site, it was
just after the HP merger.

--fred

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 10 14:46:00 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Fred N. van Kempen wrote:
> > > I have a Slt 286 that powers up fine and was working fine. it has
> > > lotus, and word on it and when i turned it on today it says insert
> > > setup disk into a: and there is no way for me to get around it. i
> > > can't get to c:, please help
> >
> Actually, sounds more like it lost its NVRAM config.  The SLT stuff
> *should* be still available from the Compaq site, it was just after the
> HP merger.

The setup disks should still still be on the Compaq ftp site
[ftp://ftp.compaq.com/] in the softpaq directory, but they may not be
linked from the Compaq/HP website anymore.

Of course, you'll first have to replace/repair the Dallas NVRAM module,
otherwise the setup disk won't do much good.

-Toth