Subject: Re: IBM 4331 in MA

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri Mar 14 23:24:00 2003

In a message dated 3/14/03 6:48:44 PM Pacific Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> >1    3803    Tape Control Unit
> >2    3420    Tape Drives
> >1    3179    Console
> >4    3278    Monitors
> >1    4331    Main Frame(including boot diskette)
> >4    3340    Disk Drives
> >13    3340    Disk Packs
> >1    2821    Control Unit
> >1    1403    N1 Printer with Print Train
> >1    2540    Card Reader Punch
> >3    29    Keypunch
> >2    83    Card Sorter
> >1    129    Punch/Verifier
> >        All Cables and Connectors
> >        All Manuals
> 
> 

Nice system. Worth saving whole.

I count about 7 Pickups full but it would be much better to rent a Penske or 
another full size truck with a Railgate. A standard liftgate might not handle 
the 1403, IIRC that is 1600 pounds on a wide wheelbase.

If you go from Whse loading dock to another loading dock you do not need a 
liftgate, same if you have a forklift at each end.

Having moved something like that I would rent a 26 footer. My quick 
calculation is 25 1/2 feet. Take packing blankets because the small stuff has 
to go on top, and rope along with some IBM wire wheel stops to secure the 
stuff so that it doesn't roll around.

In Oregon, USA, you do not need a CDL if you are moving under 26,000 pounds. 
Here I rented from Ryder for full size trucks or Budget for lighter trucks, 
never used Penske.

Heavy stuff goes in first and up front. The keypunches at the back. I can 
suggest a loading plan if you get the system.

A big problem with IBM is it is heavy and hard to get out of a pickup without 
a crane and or crushing yourself. The larger truck is priceless. When you use 
the proper equipment it is easy. Make sure everything is tied down well, that 
is what the rope is for.

Paxton
Astoria, OR
USA

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 23:55:01 2003

Hello Paxton,

A lot of equipment movers use the ratcheting web strapping instead of rope.

Best Regards