Subject: Storing floppy dirves

From: "Ernest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 19:27:35 2003

For long term storage, is it better to store a 5.25 inch floppy drive with a
disk in the drive and the lever closed, or is it better to leave the door
open and no disk in the drive? Either way, the drive will be in a sealed
plastic bag to keep the dust out but I was just curious about whether or not
to keep a diskette locked in the drive during storage. I've heard arguments
for both.

Thanks!

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sun Jul 27 14:35:00 2003

> to keep a diskette locked in the drive during storage. I've heard arguments

If the drive is not going to be moved (so there's no chance of the heads 
banging together due to vibration when moving it), I'd leave the door 
open, with no disk. 

In any case, I'd certainly use an anti-static plastic bag. A normal one 
will (not might!) damage any MOS chips on the PCB.

-tony

---

From: Don Maslin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 27 18:36:00 2003

> to keep a diskette locked in the drive during storage. I've heard arguments

Better without the disk.  It could over time deposit some of its
magnetic coating on the head and damage the first disk tried in
the drive subsequently.
						- don

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 27 20:06:00 2003

> to keep a diskette locked in the drive during storage. I've heard arguments

heads LOADED empty or with just the mylar in between them creates way too
much risk of physical damage to the heads.  Whoever told you THAT doesn't
know 5.25" drives.

Does EVERYBODY discard the shipping cardboard that 5.25" drives came with?
NOBODY ever expects to have to ship or store a drive ever again?

Your choice is NOT between a open (heads unloaded) v a disk loaded.
Your choice is between a open (heads unloaded) v a proper shipping
cardboard (or disk rotated 90 degrees to use the JACKET of the disk as
padding).