Subject: Re: HP front-panel keys

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 18 12:22:00 2003

John,

   I found my original HP 1000 keys and they are marked 4T1427. The CAT99
keys may be for the back door of the cabinet. Many of the HP 1000s were
mounted in cabinents that had locking doors on the back. I don't know what
the key number was but I think they had round heads also. I do know they
were made of brass and I know that they were different from the FP keys. If
you don't need the FP keys I can use them. I've made copies but they're not
the same as the originals and aren't as nice.

     Joe

>
>  I have several HP 1000s and two original keys but I'm not sure what
you're asking. But yes the keys in all of the HP 1000s are interchangeable,
at least in the six or eight machines that I've tried. I don't have one
here but IIRC they are Corbin keys and they are brass with a round head.
FWIW I just got some keys made and it was a real hassle. I tried Home
Depot, Lowe's and a couple of othe large hardware places and they didn't
have any blanks of the same type. I finally went ot a small local hardware
store and they found some blanks made by another company (ILCO?) that they
could make keys from. The new keys have a trapazoid shaped head like that
usually used on house keys and they're nickel plated steel so they look
completely different from the original keys.
>
>   The locks on the HP 1000 simply hold the front panel closed. But the
main power switch is located under the cover.
>
>   If what you have ARE HP 1000 keys I could use them but it's probably
not worth the cost to ship them from the UK to Florida.
>
>    Joe
>
>
>
>At 09:51 PM 6/6/03 +0100, you wrote:
>>Quick question for those people with HP 1000 machines and the like...
>>what are the front-panel keys like?  Only I have a few discarded HP
>>keys here that are all alike:
>>
>>    Corbin Cabinet Lock CAT99
>>    Corbin 4T1427
>>
>>All the keys are brass.  Are they for an HP front-panel lock of some
>>sort?  If so, which?
>>
>>--
>>John Honniball
>>[email-masked]

---

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 18 12:42:01 2003

Joe wrote...
>I do know they
> you don't need the FP keys I can use them.

I've got quite a few (ok, 5) HP racks with locking backs. The key that works
in those locks ALSO works on the front panel for all of mine.

Jay West

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 18 13:45:01 2003

>in those locks ALSO works on the front panel for all of mine.

   That's interesting! I've checked a bunch of them and I never found a key
that would fit the front and back. I wonder if it might have something to
due with what the systems were intended for? Most of the ones that I've
found were found of a vibration control/analyis systems or part of 3065
board test systems.

    Joe