Subject: Re: OT-- need plans for a wireless switch

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 18 11:42:00 2003

>disconnect the horn and use its button

Make sure you put a switch to toggle between horn and ham radio. I don't 
know about other states, but you can't pass vehicle inspections in NJ 
without a working horn.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 18 11:56:00 2003

> know about other states, but you can't pass vehicle inspections in NJ

Use the airbag wires instead? ;)

-Toth

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 18 11:59:00 2003

> you can't pass vehicle inspections in NJ  without a working horn.

Fred is in California. They didn't use to have vehicle safety inspections.
Don't know about the last eight years though. They're more worried
about their smog inspections.

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 18 12:31:00 2003

> about their smog inspections.

Oh boy are they!  They don't trust the inspectors, so the test machine
must be connected directly to the state network with a dedicated line.
D'ya know how to test the emissions of a VW converted to electric?
A friend of mine could not satisfy the DMV until he welded a piece of pipe
to the underside for the "tailpipe test" (aka "rectal probe")

Thirty some years ago, while I was working at GSFC, I lived in Maryland.
I assembled a VW from scrap parts, but I made the serious mistake of
offending the inspector (in those days, Maryland had a one-time inspection
at transfer).  He declared that my horn "wasn't loud enough".  I had a
good relationship with "Dollar George"'s wrecking yard, so I RENTED all of
the horns that he had for a week (for $1).

I put in some relays, two extra batteries (one 6V, one 12V), and filled
the trunk and much of the wheel wells with horns.  At the "reinspection
after repairs", the inspector put his head down next to the left front
fender and told me to honk the horn, ....    It was loud enough.

BTW, they had no objection to the horn button being on the dash, instead
of the twisty wire in the steering column that comes out of the steering
gearbox.

--
Grumpy Ol' Fred     		[email-masked]

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jul 18 13:53:01 2003

Hi Fred,

Yes, those smog inspections are a real PITA. I got off easier than some though.
My pick up truck that I had back then, being a 3/4 ton, and my being in San 
Diego
at the time ( where the smog requirements weren't as stringent as up in the LA
area ) made me only have to go through it once. Then, after the truck was 
no more
and I only rode a motorcycle, I didn't have to worry about it with that either.

Back here on the east coast these safety inspections are a PITA. At least 
it's now
just an annual requirement. It used to be every 6 months. Got a rejection 
sticker
in the window of a truck right now, that is in safer running condition that 
the truck
I drove in CA. Failed me because the heater/defroster blower went out. But that
truly does need to get changed. Trying to drive with fogged up windows would
be dangerous. But finding the time is one of the problems, also the heat and
humidity outside right now makes one want to stay inside when possible. Maybe
get to it in the fall.

I got rejected before for the horn not being loud enough too. My battery 
was just
about dead and I had to jump start it to get it into the inspection bay, so 
it was
not as loud as it would have been were my battery up to full charge and 
voltage.

One thing they got going around here is the common practice of rejecting 
you for
headlights being out of alignment. I had my headlights adjusted by a shop 
that was
doing some steering gear work, and then drove over to the inspection 
station right
afterwards, only to get rejected for headlight alignment. I paid them the 
blood money
to readjust just to get through the inspection. Then, that vehicle was only 
driven 250
miles the next year. Not much bouncing around to cause any change. But, the 
next
inspection, they rejected it for headlight alignment again. I'd seen 
something about
that in the local news, though in reference to a different inspection 
station. I'd also
seen them reject vehicle after vehicle for headlight alignment while I was 
waiting in
line for my inspection. I had a conversation with the state police, who 
monitor and
license these inspection stations about that. They were considering taking 
one in
that they knew was correct to see if they could catch them at it.

Best Regards

---

From: "Merle K. Peirce" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 19 10:11:00 2003

MGA's all had the horn on the dash.  Amazing the number of stupid 
inspectors that couldn't find it satring them in the face.

> of the twisty wire in the steering column that comes out of the steering

M. K. Peirce

Rhode Island Computer Museum, Inc.
Shady Lea, Rhode Island 

"Casta est quam nemo rogavit."
              
              - Ovid