Subject: King of the string has Stringy floppy day

From: Robert Borsuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 4 13:46:01 2003

Hi All,
    Thanks to Glen I now have info on my A&J Microdrive. On another 
note, I have just received in today a Stringy floppy for the Commodore 
64.  This unit is brand new and has a brand new tape.  It connects up 
to the cassette port. Though I won't have time to test the units (the 
wife calls it play) until thursday, at which time I will declare it 
"Stringy Floppy day".
    Anyway, anyone have experience with a stringy floppy for a 
commodore?  It's called a "Quick Data Drive".

Thanks
Rob
(self appointed king of the string)
(just kidding)

Robert Borsuk - [email-masked]
President
Colourfull Creations
http://www.colourfull.com

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 4 16:02:00 2003

> commodore?  It's called a "Quick Data Drive".
Yup, I have one or two, too.. in box even :)  I still have about
10 moving boxes full of my old Commodore stuff.. just can't put
myself to getting rid of my old V20 and C64 :)

The QDD actually worked, I used it a lot.
(in 1987 or so)

--f

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 06:05:13 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Robert Borsuk
> Sent: 04 March 2003 19:43
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: King of the string has Stringy floppy day
>
> Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone actually *bought* these QDDs, every one I see
including my own are brand new and have a brand new system tape; people try
and sell 'em on epay as 'wow' etc :) Mine's badged as 'Entrepo' and I'm
pretty sure it's a single drive version of the Rotronics 'Wafadrive' that
was available for the Speccy and C64. That one was built round a BSR tape
mechanism (the same people that made vinyl turntables in the 70s). I don't
think it can be classed as a stringy floppy though, since that accolade used
to belong to (in the UK anyway) a device called the 'Phloopy' which was a
plastic case similar to, but bigger than, the Sinclair Microdrive but
instead of a neverending reel of tape it just had the tape 'loose' inside
the cart.....

cheers

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans