Subject: ICL OPD/Merlin Tonto

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 7 09:21:00 2003

Hello again,

Does anyone have a spare (working) UK-spec telephony module for the ICL OPD 
and/or Merlin Tonto that they're willing to part with?

I can swap it for one which "sort of" works: you can receive calls with it 
(on either line), but it doesn't seem to like dialling out. Specifically, 
it seems to work when its cold, but after warming up for 1/2hr or so, it 
refuses to make the proper dialling noises, pressing the buttons just seems 
to cut the line for 1/4second or so, then the dial tone is back...

Willing to pay postage from wherever, and maybe 75p & a packet of rolos 
(aka comp.sys.sinclair standard purchase price) as well.

-- 
Cheers, Ade.
Be where it's at, B-Racing!
http://b-racing.com

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 02:33:55 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Adrian Vickers
> Sent: 07 March 2003 15:17
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: ICL OPD/Merlin Tonto
>

I've got a spare but I don't think it's very well if you consider the state
of the motherboard:

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/DSCF2592.JPG

The telephony module has a bit of masking tape on it containing the words
'faulty' so I guess that gives the game away somewhat :)

> (aka comp.sys.sinclair standard purchase price) as well.

Hasn't it been upped to 85p and a packet of rolos to take inflation into
account? (inflated rolos? Mmm :)

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans

---

From: John Honniball <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 04:53:00 2003

>>and/or Merlin Tonto that they're willing to part with?

I have one, but not a spare!  :-(

It's in an ICL One Per Desk, and of course is capable of pulse-dialling
only.  Have you considered repairing the one you've got?

> http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/DSCF2592.JPG

Has someone tried to desolder the chips?  The damage looks like it's
consistently opposite the pin 1 end of all the DIL parts.  I'm sure
we could work out what's missing if you want to attempt replacements.

--
John Honniball
[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 03:30:01 2003

Maybe-maybe not. That 'UK spec' bit is what I'm curious about. Do you know
what details will be different in other versions (but this would only be an
EPROM change wouldn't it?) --as in that for use in NZ?
I have a number of these things -both complete and working, as well as
partly ratted for spares (including some telephony modules)- they were
called 'computerphones' down here. About the only useful function they had
was the phone directory/dialler which was a winner.  They were just a year
or so too late to ever really catch on in the face of competition from Macs
and pcs for any serious desktop computer functionality.

Dave Brown
Christchurch, NZ

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 08:26:00 2003

> and pcs for any serious desktop computer functionality.

Are these actual computers or just dumb terminals with a telephone
built-in?

I have a Northern Telecom unit like this.  It's a smaller terminal with a
phone handset and keypad on the base.  A keyboard tray pulls out of the
bottom of the base.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: John Honniball <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 09:04:00 2003

> Are these actual computers or just dumb terminals with a telephone

They're real 68008 computers, based on the Sinclair QL design.  The
power supply (in the screen) is always on, at least in part, and the
computer can be set up to auto-answer.  The application software in
ROM is all communication-centred, with things like dialling
directories and (I think) a terminal emulator.

Due to UK telecom regulations at the time of release, it wasn't
able to act as a telephone answering machine, though.  That was
a function that only British Telecom were allowed to provide.

--
John Honniball
[email-masked]

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 18:46:01 2003

>http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/DSCF2592.JPG

Ouch: Was someone trying out a fancy new laser cutting tool, perchance?

>'faulty' so I guess that gives the game away somewhat :)

Hmmm, quite...

Having said that, maybe the telephony is OK, but the main beastie is shot. 
I'd be quite happy to test the telephony module in my (otherwise fine) OPD...

>account? (inflated rolos? Mmm :)

Not according to pictures of their last meet in London, but maybe no-one 
told them yet :)

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 18:55:01 2003

>only.  Have you considered repairing the one you've got?

Possibly, but I've absolutely no idea where to start...

I'm guessing that the fault is somewhere in the telephone side, as the 
computer side works just fine. Also, it's capable of taking incoming calls 
(shame CLID didn't exist when the OPD was around), and if something else 
dials, it can latch into outgoing calls without any problems.

IIRC, the pulse dial side dies at the same time as the tone dial.

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 18:56:00 2003

>EPROM change wouldn't it?) --as in that for use in NZ?

I'm not really sure. It's entirely possible that there's very little to no 
difference between the modules, but the UK versions would have had to pass 
the extraordinarily strict BABT approval process - which was very 
expensive, and essential if you wanted your kit to be "BABT approved" and 
therefore legal to use on the UK 'phone system. Also, there was some fairly 
hefty licencing restrictions, e.g. in the front of the OPD manual it states 
the functions it's been licenced for.

>called 'computerphones' down here.

I'd be willing to try an NZ module, if it's got standard BT-like connector 
jacks on the back of it (same type as used by Sinclair on the QL - did he 
get a job-lot of sockets to go with the OPD plugs, I wonder?). I know 
bugger all about the NZ 'phone system, but as my NZ cousin is currently 
over here, I'll ask him tomorrow.

>  About the only useful function they had
>was the phone directory/dialler which was a winner.

Definitely; the 3-alphanumeric "short code" is also a staggeringly useful 
thing. In fact, I've decided to use the OPD as my main telephone, if I can 
get a reliable telephony module for it.

>  They were just a year

Much like the QL, really. Also, one shouldn't underestimate the marketing 
clout IBM had when their early PC's were coming out; really, did anyone 
stand a chance against them?

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 19:04:01 2003

>Are these actual computers or just dumb terminals with a telephone

Your question is already answered, but what the heck...

The ICL OPD (One-Per-Desk) and Merlin Tonto (identical machines internally) 
were a derivative of the Sinclair QL, featuring the addition of a telephone 
handset, better keyboard, slightly improved microdrives (sufficiently 
improved that they are, apparently, incompatible with QL mdvs; something 
I've not checked yet), and a much bigger ROM. That ROM contains a telephone 
directory, and a few other utilities to boot. Add-on ROMs included 
messaging (I'm unsure as to what that is yet, although mine has it), Psion 
Xchange (Quill word processor, Easel graphics - well, graphs, Archive 
database and Abacus spreadsheet). Xchange also featured on the CST Thor[1], 
and was also ported to the PC, IIRC. The QL suffered along with the 
original separate packages until its demise.

My OPD also has a 3rd-party addon disk interface (which plugs into the ROM 
pack), which is rather nifty, and a lot more reliable (and faster) than 
microdrives. The machine itself, however, is quite painfully slow. I'm not 
entirely sure what they did to it to make it that slow; the QL seems to 
trot along much more quickly. Maybe ICL just didn't write decent software...

[1] BTW, does anyone have a CST Thor (especially if you're willing to part 
with it). Any make/model considered, working or not. I'll even pay cash[2] 
for it. I'd /love/ to get my hands on one!

[2] What's more, I'll even pay more than 75p[3] & a packet of Rolos!

[3] or 85p, counting inflation.

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 19:04:15 2003

At 15:02 09/03/2003, John Honniball wrote:

The application software in
>directories and (I think) a terminal emulator.

Yep, a loadable telephone directory (so you could have different ones on 
different MDVs), two terminal types (a Prestel & "glass teletype") which 
would operate over the built-in modem - capable of a whopping 1200bps or 
600bps half-duplex, and 300bps full duplex; also capable of a 75bps "back 
channel" at 1200/600 speeds.

>a function that only British Telecom were allowed to provide.

It does have a really nasty voice synthesizer built into it, though, so it 
will take a call unattended, and play the pre-recorded messages. It lacks 
the ability to say things like "Good morning" though... I think it's also 
limited to a single auto-answer setting, which can be set to automatically 
come on between certain times, and (possibly) overridden. I've yet to 
experiment with that side of it.

---

From: "stu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 23:36:32 2003

Hi all,
I have an OPD, believed working, without monitor, and has a variety of pods
and the phone handset. All good condition and even manuals :)
Free to OPD fanatic, prefer collect. (uk NW)
Stu

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 10 01:11:00 2003

>Free to OPD fanatic, prefer collect. (uk NW)

I would, of course, be interested... :)

I'm in London at the moment, but could probably collect in a fortnight, 
depends where you are in the NW?

Drop me a line off-list if you want to discuss.

Cheers,
Ade.
Confirmed OPD addict :)

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 10 11:28:00 2003

> phone handset and keypad on the base.  A keyboard tray pulls out of the

Aye Sallam, didn't I tell you about this little beasts ?
They are full figured Sinclair QLs with integrated analogue
phones. AFAIK a bunch of phonerelated applications where
provided in ROM. One may name it as the first PDA ... you
know, like the TREO, Or PocketPC Phone edition ... just a
few more pounds (even pricewise:)

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 4.0 am 03./04. Mai 2003 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Mon Mar 10 17:53:57 2003

> improved that they are, apparently, incompatible with QL mdvs; something 

My QL has got OPD microdrives hacked onto it (by me). The OPD microdrives 
have much the same mechanism, the same ULA, the same 
joke-of-a-tape-head-mounting [1], etc. There are electrical differences 
-- I remmeber having to swap wires around between the QL connector and 
the OPD drives and I think I had to add a 7805 regulator chip.

They are tape-format-compatible, or at least they are when used on the 
QL, in that I've never had more than the usual problems reading tapes 
recorded on other QLs and vice versa

[1] The head is supported only by the electrical connections soldered to 
the PCB. Alingment consists of moving the PCB on its mounting screws. 
Typical of Sinclair crap, I'm afraid [2] :-(

[2] I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The QL, IMHO, cut just 
too many corners. Had it sold for, say, \pounds 600 (rather than \pounds 
400), but had had decent serial ports, a better keyboard, and a disk 
drive, then it would have sold rather better I suspect. 

-tony

---

From: Robert Sprokholt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 11 11:57:00 2003

> [3] or 85p, counting inflation.

I paid 85 pounds for a Merlin Tonto a few weeks ago. Plus 30 pounds 
postage. Inflation is high in the Netherlands.
I will not sell my Tonto. In fact I'm looking for more sinclair-clones. 
I already got a CIP03, Robik, HC91, HC2000, Jet, Sintez II, 2 Olimpiks, 
TC2048 and TS2068. A russian spectr 48 is on it's way.

Robert

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 11 21:48:03 2003

> Behalf Of John Honniball
> Sent: 08 March 2003 10:51
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: ICL OPD/Merlin Tonto
>

I've been told they do tone dialling too, based on the unsupported DIP
switches in the telephony module. Haven't tried it though; all of my OPDs
are downstairs in boxes.

> we could work out what's missing if you want to attempt replacements.

There's too much track damage unfortunately; whoever was removing the RAMs
really didn't care about the donor machine. Of course, anything's possible
with some sockets and wire-wrap, but TBH I only bought that machine for the
extras that came with it like spare microdrives and extended ROM pods with a
different version of Xchange.

cheers

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 11 21:49:52 2003

> Sent: 10 March 2003 00:55

Identical machines, period :) The only differences were the stick-on badges
and serial number stickers on the bottom.

> I've not checked yet), and a much bigger ROM. That ROM contains a

Everything was re-engineered by ICL, so the only thing the OPD shares with
the QL is the 3 QL ROMs and the CPU. Everything else is different. ICL also
re-engineered the microdrives to make them more rugged and reliable; whether
they were successful at this or not remains a moot point I think. They're
definitely incompatible. The only way of doing data transfer from machine to
machine is serially, and remember the serial port on the OPD is for a
printer only so is uni-directional.

> telephone

Also the machine had the same pre-emptive fully cooperating multi tasking
kernel, so all the apps could run together and share things.

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/icl/opd.htm

and

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/icl/tonto.htm

> trot along much more quickly. Maybe ICL just didn't write decent

I don't recall either of mine being any slower than the QL, though it's a
few months since I last played with one. I just wish I had some
documentation for 'em.

cheers

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 11 21:50:09 2003

> Sent: 10 March 2003 00:59

I'm sure it can respond to different numbers with different messages though,
also it *can* say good morning, as well as things like 'I'm away getting
head with my secretary on holiday' :) There was a competition on radio not
so long back (Chris Moyles or Scrawn&Lard on Radio1 IIRC) where people
actually recorded their OPDs saying rude things, so I just *had* to have a
go myself....hehe.....

Ah - from my own webpage (duh):

"1.5 SPEECH SYNTHESISER
This consists of a Texas TMP5220C IC with a vocabulary in a separate, custom
ROM
of 152 words, plus letters and numbers. Facilities include limited
text-to-voice
conversion from keyboard entry and playback-to-test. Up to 16 messages can
be
pre-assembled and 2 used, automatically, by time-of-day selection, for
auto-answer of incoming voice calls. Incoming voice messages cannot be
recorded "

cheers

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 11 21:50:24 2003

> Sent: 10 March 2003 00:41

I think they were seeing how much damage they could do! Thinking about it,
even some harsh desoldering couldn't do that sort of damage could it? Even
if you were levering the chips bodily out of their mountings I'd expect the
legs to break before the solder.

> I'd be quite happy to test the telephony module in my (otherwise

Be easier if I tested it up here first. Just got to dig out the low-res
monitor from its hiding place....the hi-res one is too high up and
underneath too much other stuff for me to easily get!

> Not according to pictures of their last meet in London, but maybe no-one

This is true. Looks like everyone had fun!

cheers

---

From: "Dave Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 14 01:00:01 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 11:20 PM
Subject: RE: ICL OPD/Merlin Tonto

snip

> few months since I last played with one. I just wish I had some

I have some here-may even be multiple copies of some stuff- All user manuals
though, no "real" tech refs.
I better go dig it out and let you have a list of what's here.
They were 'state of the art' for a very short time. We (NZPO) sold/leased
them to unsuspecting customers at the time and I got given a complete new
system (c/w the larger colour screen and thermal printer) to play with for
reasons I can't recall. Anyway, I still have all of it, plus several other
partial systems I have come across along the way.

DaveB
NZ

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 12:12:38 2003

> Behalf Of Dave Brown
> Sent: 14 March 2003 06:57

It's better than what I've got at the moment :)

Having seen the installation manual that Ade's scanned in I've just *got* to
get my best OPD out and start using it up here as my main phone.....now that
we know it definitely does DTMF dialling. One will definitely be the main
phone of the musuem when it opens.

Any spare books would be great.

cheers

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 13:38:00 2003

>phone of the musuem when it opens.

I'm planning to use mine as my main 'phone too. I have, at hideous expense, 
acquired another one (sans monitor) which is apparently in GWO; it's a 
Tonto (as opposed to an OPD), so I just have to decide which main unit 
looks the marginally more attractive...

Shame it can't do CLID though. Maybe I shall have to try to retrofit my 
Pace 56K modem into it, then bodge the ROMs to read the CLID.... Then add 
the TCP/IP stack that's recently been developed for the QL, adapt a 
browser, and presto - an internet-capable OPD!

Lemme see, on current form, I should have finished that project by about 
2019...

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 17:24:44 2003

> Sent: 17 March 2003 19:27

Now THAT would be worth seeing. In fact I'd probably pay for it, but it
would require that the OPD screen was on all the time, and that would reduce
its life somewhat on account of burnage. Remember the OPD was designed so
that incoming calls could be taken with the screen turned off; back then
they were really expensive.

> Lemme see, on current form, I should have finished that project by about

I know the feeling :)

cheers

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 18 01:09:00 2003

At 20:53 17/03/2003, you wrote:

>its life somewhat on account of burnage.

Not really - the OPD screen blanks after 10 mins of inactivity anyway, and 
switches on again for an incoming call, if you pick the handset up or press 
a key.

>Remember the OPD was designed so

Aye, that would stop the CLID from being useful...