Subject: Some Cool Sun stuff Today

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 15 20:14:00 2003

At a local Goodwill I picked up the following:
A Sun external tape drive PN 595-1711-01 model 411.

A Sun SPARCserver 20 model 544 with 2-20gig HD's, 256 MB memory and loaded
with software but I have no password to login with.

A Sun SPARCstation 10 model 144 can't get it to boot up.

A Sun type 6 keyboard.

A Burroughs desk top computer power supply external black brick.

---

From: John Boffemmyer IV <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 15 21:44:18 2003

hey Keys, if memory serves me correctly, on some "hacking" site I passed by 
a year ago, I recall seeing something of mention on SPARCserver 
backdoors/admin overrides. I'll look to see if I can find the site again, 
it may help you get back in without having to beat the machine to hell out 
of frustration, grin.
-John Boffemmyer IV
>A Burroughs desk top computer power supply external black brick.

----------------------------------------
Founder, Lead Writer, Tech Analyst
and Web Designer Boff-Net Technologies
http://boff-net.dhs.org/index.html
---------------------------------------

---

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 15 22:31:00 2003

Great!!!  Hope you can find it.

---

From: Doc Shipley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 00:48:00 2003

> Great!!!  Hope you can find it.

   Best way is to boot single-user from the install CD, mount the root 
filesystem, and edit relevant password files.  Breaking in without the 
CD is a serious PITA.

	Doc

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 08:58:00 2003

> filesystem, and edit relevant password files.  Breaking in without the 

Easiest way without a CD is to install the root drive into another
Sun box, mount it and edit the shadow file.  :-)

There's other techniques if the NVRAM has a password and the boot
device is set to something you don't have (like those $5 SPARCclassics
I got from the university the year before last - had to set up a
network boot to get them up and running to use the eeprom command to
clear the password).

-ethan
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: "Peter C. Wallace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 09:12:00 2003

> filesystem, and edit relevant password files.  Breaking in without the

ISTR that I've done it by booting a NetBSD install disk and then doing the
same...

Peter Wallace