Subject: InfoServer and MOP Server status update

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 3 13:24:00 2003

Hey Fred,

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Fred deBros wrote:

> Did u get any further in your search?
No.. I am currently trying to finish the new MOP Server project,
so thats (a) out of my way, and (b) available to people on the
list.  Basically, the usual loose ends such as portability and
operation testing, and finishing the docs on it.

The InfoServer project will complement the above, in that it
will give us the ability to also net-boot VMS off any given
install host.  Basically, the InfoServer client uses MOP to
kickstart things, and then uses LAST (aka LAD, aka LASTdisk)
to do the rest of the disk I/O.

Basically, I'd like to have an InfoServer running here, even if
only for fun.  I also need it to reverse-engineer the LAST protocol,
since nobody seems to have a copy of its specification anymore.

So, given the fact that an InfoServer (150, 1000) is just a regular
3100-model machine, I should be able to load the friggin software
onto one, right?

Anyone?  Help!

The Question:

  Given a regular MV3100-model box, and a working CDROM drive on
  it, HOW does one load the InfoServer stuff onto it, making it
  an operational InfoServer ?

Cheers,
        Fred

---

From: Eric Dittman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 3 13:53:00 2003

> 3100-model machine, I should be able to load the friggin software

No.  Only the 100 was a standard MicroVAX 3100 with new ROMs.
The 150 and 1000 are custom boxes.

>   an operational InfoServer ?

First, you get a copy of the IS100 ROMs and replace the ROMs
in your MV3100 with them.  Then, you boot from the ConDist CD
with the InfoServer boot files and load that on the internal
disk.
-- 
Eric Dittman
[email-masked]