Subject: In search of Christopher Willis

From: Steven Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 13 12:17:00 2003

Hello, I know this may be a long shot but I figured I'd try it anyway.

I figure there is a good chance that someone on the list may know an 
old friend of mine, Christopher Willis.  I met Chris and his wife Pat 
(Patricia) on a BBS in southern Ohio.  Chris's impressive collection of 
computers included an Altair 8800B with a Winchester hard disk, two 8 
inch drives, and a Televideo 912c terminal.  When Chris joined the navy 
(I believe this was 1996, though it may have been earlier.. hmm.. maybe 
94?) He left the Altair system with me which went into storage at my 
parents house when I left for college, where It still lives (I'm 
getting ready to recover it and set it up in my new house soon)

Other computers in his collection ranged from 8080/z80 boards to 
various oddball multiuser mini's.  At one point (years before I knew 
him), I know that he had a collection housed in a warehouse (Many of 
which he ended up losing eventually).  Among others, this collection 
included a UNIVAC. [see why I think someone on the list might know him?]

Over the years, I lost contact with Chris and would love to get ahold 
of him and Pat again.  If out there could help me track him down it 
would be greatly appreciated.

---

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 17:30:01 2003

What is a BBS?

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 17:57:00 2003

> What is a BBS?

You're kidding, right?

g.

---

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 18:36:00 2003

No I am not kidding..

---

From: Bryan Pope <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 18:49:00 2003

> No I am not kidding..

ACK!  Excuse me for asking, but have you ever used a computer in the 80's?!
(or earlier...)

BBS = Bulletin Board System.

Computer.  Modem.  Call other computer with modem.  Connect.  ANSI. 
X-modem.  Bliss.

Cheers,

Bryan

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 22:09:00 2003

> No I am not kidding..

BBS is an acronym for Bulletin Board System.  A BBS is typically a single
user message base/file download system that is accessed by modem.

Check out http://www.bbsdocumentary.com

g.

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 23:55:00 2003

> A BBS is typically a single user.

I'd seen many a serious, multi line, multi user BBS system in days gone by.

---

From: Don Maslin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 23:57:01 2003

> user message base/file download system that is accessed by modem.

Sort of a dialup 'website' equivalent without the graphics.  Mostly
files and public email.  There are still a few around.

						- don

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 08:41:01 2003

> I'd seen many a serious, multi line, multi user BBS system in days gone by.

Oh so have I.  I was just trying to provide a minimal example. :)

g.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri May 16 11:36:09 2003

> I'd seen many a serious, multi line, multi user BBS system in days gone

I ran a four-line TBBS myself at one point.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 16:37:00 2003

OK makes sense.. sort of went the way of the knothole in a tree at the
crossroads... to stick notes in....

---

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 16:44:01 2003

I'd have to have been alive then.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun May 18 02:51:48 2003

They were still very much popular as of about 1990.

Peace...  Sridhar