Subject: eBay rescue

From: "Erik Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 21 17:49:39 2003

I hope that there is a list member in the area of Sterling Virginia who 
is willing to "rescue" the IMS 8000 machine being sold in the auction 
referenced below.  The seller states that "If there are no bids, the 
machine and disks will be taken to the Loudoun County, Virginia 
landfill."

Here's a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?
ViewItem&item=2743455193&category=4193

Considering the volume of stuff it would be a shame to see it lost like 
that.

For those not interested in hitting eBay, I've copied the auction text 
below:

IMS 8000 S-100 computer system 

This computer has a Z-80 processor, 64KB (128KB?) of RAM, and dual half-
height 8" DSDD floppy drives. The 8" drives were replaced about 5 years 
ago; the machine has seen little use since then.
Some assorted spare boards are included, as are about 500 floppies 
including master disks for CP/M, CP/M Plus, MP/M, PL/I, and lots of 
other software.

A manual is included, and notebooks containing BIOS listings and notes 
on drivers.

Industrial Micro Systems made systems of legendary reliability, and 
this machine, over 20 years old, is no exception. I used it a couple of 
months ago, and it worked perfectly.

However, I'm short of space, so this piece of equipment needs a new 
home fast. It is large and heavy, with wooden sides and a steel 
chassis. I will not even attempt to ship it. The auction winner must 
pick it up in Sterling, Virginia. If there are no bids, the machine and 
disks will be taken to the Loudoun County, Virginia landfill.

Please note: I have nothing to do with this auction, the seller or the 
merchandise.  I am just trying to prevent the loss of an interesting 
artifact.

If someone is local and can pick it up but isn't interested in keeping 
it, I _might_ be able to pay for shipping (at great risk to my health - 
my next computer might be my last if my wife follows through on her 
threats! :)

   Erik Klein
   www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum
   The Vintage Computer Forum