Subject: Vaxen vultures on ebay ... and is "rtlacy" here?

From: Gunther Schadow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 15:13:01 2003

Hi,

Joe Moir from Boston just did the ultimate sell off of his VAX11 gear.
Boy the stuff went for $50 per box. An 11/780, 11/785, and an 11/795,
ahem, 8650. The were all in ugly parted out shape, but significant
sources for spares. I now have an 11/785 backplane, and since my 11/780
doesn't work properly anyway, I can just as well start converting it.

I almost had all three of those, but a fellow with ebay name "rtlacy"
had made a little more decisive bids on them.

Now I wonder, just in case, is anyone of you out in the Boston area,
just in case?

regards,
-Gunther

---

From: Johnny Billquist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 17:32:00 2003

> doesn't work properly anyway, I can just as well start converting it.

*Sigh*
So we have another bunch of machines that will never run again, just
because someone figured he could make more money by selling them off in
pieces.

Oh well, since we're at it: does anyone have 64MB or 16MB boards for an
86x0 machine? I'd sure love some.

	Johnny

Johnny Billquist                  || "I'm on a bus
                                  ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: [email-masked]           ||  Reading murder books
pdp is alive!                     ||  tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

---

From: Gunther Schadow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 17:58:00 2003

> 86x0 machine? I'd sure love some.

Nono, you got that message wrong. Joe Moir was in the parts reselling
business and he didn't have too bad prices and it does come in handy
if you just need a few boards replaced. Anyway, he had now been selling
off 3 big machines, which I think is nice (although it gets me worried
he might leave the business.)

If you can find out who this "rtlacy" guy is -- he must be one of us,
as he's been collecting a bunch of DEC parts -- then you could ask him
for the 8650 RAM boards. Well, now that I think about it, he could
also be a DEC reseller with some local market (he hasn't been selling
parts on ebay, largely a buyer's profile.

regards,
-Gunther

---

From: Johnny Billquist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 18:03:01 2003

> he might leave the business.)

Ah. Then I apologize (even if he don't see this). If he already have them
in parts, and his prices are reasonable, then he's a valuable resource.

> parts on ebay, largely a buyer's profile.

I very seldom visit eBay, since I think it's in general a bad place for
keeping hardware running.
Just makes me depressed looking at that site.

	Johnny

---

From: Gunther Schadow <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 18:07:34 2003

> Just makes me depressed looking at that site.

Then where do you get your parts from? You must be lucky or just
more patient than I am to get by without ebay.

-Gunther

-- 
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                    [email-masked]
Medical Information Scientist      Regenstrief Institute for Health Care
Adjunct Assistant Professor        Indiana University School of Medicine
tel:1(317)630-7960                         http://aurora.regenstrief.org

---

From: Johnny Billquist <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 18:10:01 2003

> more patient than I am to get by without ebay.

Patient, I guess. I've saved junk from companies for the last 15 years or
so by now.

	Johnny

---

From: "John Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 18:46:01 2003

I'm of the opinion that in the case of great old hardware,
it's worthwhile to get it off ePay if just to save it from
a fate that would be far worse...

+------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| John P. Willis, MCP, SBI, NASA-STD-8739.5      | Coherent Logic Development     |
| Chief Executive Officer                        |  "Multiplatform Solutions      |
| Coherent Logic Development                     |    for a Multiplatform World"  |
+------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| web: http://www.coherent-logic.com/                                             |
| e-mail: [email-masked]                                                  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+