Subject: HP 5890 gas chromatograph chemstation?

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 14:52:00 2003

Is anybody here familar with this stuff? I picked up a HP disk drive with the ChemStation software installed and I'd like to know more about exactly what kind of computer it was SUPPOSED to be used with. I searched the net and one site mentioned that it used a HP 9000 300 but that's all I've been able to find out. I got the Sw working on a HP 9000 217 but I'm having some problems with the display. Oddly enough, the SW won't run on my HP 9000 320 or 380!

    Joe

---

From: "Kenneth L. Marshall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 6 16:43:00 2003

The Chemstation software is Pascal-based. The disks use an unusual 
partitioning scheme. I used one of these Chemstations to run my GC and 
gas chromatograph-mass spectrometer for many many years. Mine were  HP 
9000-320 and 9000-340  machines ( I still have complete, functional 
machines with data on them here- they are in storage waiting for the 
data to be archived - that and I can't bring myself to get rid of 
them). These systems ran non-stop for ten years with only one floppy 
disk failure. Much more reliable than the PC stuff that replaced them.
The display output is very hardware-specific; it is designed to work 
with only a limited number of frame buffers. I still have documentation 
on these systems, so if you want more details contact me off-list.
On Thursday, March 6, 2003, at 03:55  PM, Joe wrote:

>   Is anybody here familar with this stuff? I picked up a HP disk drive 
> with the ChemStation software installed and I'd like to know more 
> about exactly what kind of computer it was SUPPOSED to be used with. I 
> searched the net and one site mentioned that it used a HP 9000 300 but 
> that's all I've been able to find out. I got the Sw working on a HP 
> 9000 217 but I'm having some problems with the display. Oddly enough, 
> the SW won't run on my HP 9000 320 or 380!
>
>     Joe
>
>
Kenneth L. Marshall
Research Engineer, Optical Materials
Laboratory for Laser Energetics
University of Rochester
250 East River Rd
Rochester, NY 14623
Phone: (585)-275-8247
Fax: (585)-275-5960