Subject: Re: Teletype: Problems again

From: "Dwight K. Elvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 9 16:27:00 2003

>From: "Tore Sinding Bekkedal" <[email-masked]>
>
>I have recently bought colour tape for the 33.
>
>The printer has a black substance that pushes the printhead towards the
>paper. This has dissolved into an oily-like thing, and there is zero
>pressure for the head against the paper. I will try to put a licorice
>candy (Läkerol) in its place as a kludge, but it very likely won't last.
>Do you know what causes it? Where to get a new one? Is that SUPPOSED to
>happen?'
>
>Confused Regards
>
>-Tore
>

Hi
 I've seen this happen to others but mine did just
the opposite. The rubber turned to brittle stuff and
crumbled.
 I guess the issues is that like some plastics, rubber
just doesn't last.
 I think the stick on feet idea is the best home remedy.
Dwight

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon Jun 9 18:52:01 2003

>The printer has a black substance that pushes the printhead towards 
the >paper. This has dissolved into an oily-like thing, and there is 
zero >pressure for the head against the paper. I will try to put a 
licorice >candy (Läkerol) in its place as a kludge, but it very 
likely won't last. >Do you know what causes it? Where to get a new 
one? Is that SUPPOSED to >happen?'
>-Tore

Melting rubber, crumbling rubber what nots, I seen those, first time 
last week for latter, former many times in my life.

Found two RCA PIP modules had that brown, sticky goo everywhere from 
where tan rubber bumpers used to be, YUUUK!  RCA used them to keep 
tin shielding from shorting out on solder side circuit board.  Goo 
also sometimes causes problems.  Have to clean those off.

And that PIP modules were used in CTC169 chassis (both for direct 
view tube and tv projectors).  Manufactured between 1989 to 1996 era.
About 10"x5"x2", pocked with holes for ventilation, usually 3 to 5 
plugs in one row on one side.

What kind of cleaners really successfully dissolves that goo?  Have 
to do it easy and quick.  CTC169 was produced by the zillions and 
wildly popular back then and we still see them all the time and it's 
a good money maker so far.

By the way, rubber bumpers still used in many RCA later chassis like 
177, 187, 19x (most recent versions that just stopped in production).

Cheers,

Wizard