Subject: 8008 treasure trove

From: "Jim Kearney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 20 12:49:00 2003

Thanks to the kindness of Mr. Robert Baer, I've just received a fantastic
set of 8008-related documents.  As I'm able I'll be scanning them and
putting them on my 8008 web page http://www.jkearney.com/8008/.  The catch
includes:

- Hal Singer's _Mark-8 (later Micro-8) Newsletter_, vol 1 #1 - vol 2 #6
(1974-1976).  All kinds of modifications, programming and war stories about
the Mark-8, and later covering the 8080-based computers such as the MITS
Altair.

- Hal Chamberlin's _The Computer Hobbyist_, #1 - #10 (1974-1976).  An 8008
vector CRT display interface design, cassette interface, and an S-100 floppy
controller were big topics in these.

- The Microsystems International 8008 data book (they were Intel's Canadian
second source, in addition to Siemens in Germany), containing not only the
data sheet but a complete design and monitor listing for the MOD8 computer.

- A number of MOD8 add-on designs from various individuals, including
parallel I/O, audio cassette interface, and interfaces to the Suding
scientific calculator board from Mini Micro Mart (remember them?  There are
a couple of their catalogs here too)

- (this is not 8008-related, but too good not to mention) An original copy
of Tom Pittman's Tiny BASIC Experimenter's Kit with the 6800 addendum
(printed on typewriter paper on a teletype, no less).  Unfortunately the IL
code interpreter source is no longer with the package.  Dr. Pittman has put
this on the web, by the way: http://www.sbuniv.edu/~tpittman/IttyBitty/; the
copies I have here appear to be identical.

Jim

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 20 13:49:00 2003

Jim,

    Nice finds! I'm looking forward to seeing them on your site.

    Joe

---

From: "Jim Kearney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 20 15:54:01 2003

>     Nice finds! I'm looking forward to seeing them on your site.

Thanks... they are going to take some work, though.  The low-budget concept
seems to have been to reduce them to the limits of xerox technology to save
on page count.

Jim