Subject: 486 DOS machines OT yet? Networking on Same?

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 29 23:24:00 2003

If they are not OT please let me know...

Anybody know how to network DOS 6.22?

I need a telnet and an FTP. I have an SMC  Elite 16C Ultra
ethernet card, with the driver diskette.

(warning REALLY OT part starts here, please don OT resistant glasses )

I want it to talk to my Samba equiped Linux Server...

:^)

Thanks.

Ron.

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 29 23:40:00 2003

Hmm, try installing windows for workgroups and use the TCP/IP software addon
from microsoft. This software allows dhcp network setup, and has FTP built
in.

DOS used a netbios interface for networks I think. Only network software I
remember for dos was lantastic, novel, and the stuff that came with doom
(IPX network)

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 29 23:44:00 2003

> I want it to talk to my Samba equiped Linux Server...

You'll need Microsoft LAN Manager.  You can find it on an NT install CD,
or if you search Microsoft's website, or you can make it easy on yourself
and ask me to send you what you need.

My voicemail system is networked with it, but I don't think I ever tried
to access it with Samba from a Linux box (I can access other MS Windows
machines from the voicemail server, but not the other way around).

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 30 00:28:00 2003

> ethernet card, with the driver diskette.

NCSA Telnet (which includes a DOS command-line FTP client) and the
packet driver from your driver diskette?  This works for me.

> I want it to talk to my Samba equiped Linux Server...

If you want to be able to mount it as a network drive, you are
probably looking for LAN Manager (as a client) or an MS-DOS NFS client
(I know there were some commercial offerings, don't know about free).

-Frank McConnell

---

From: "Peter C. Wallace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 30 00:32:01 2003

> machines from the voicemail server, but not the other way around).

Lan mangler works OK with Samba. It even supports DHCP. Sometimes a pain to
setup though...

For Telnet and FTP, NCSA telnet will work but then if you want SMB at the same
time (Samba/windows file/print sharing) you have to get fancy with using a
packet driver and an NDIS shim...

Peter Wallace

---

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 30 01:16:00 2003

On Saturday, March 29, 2003, at 09:40  PM, Vintage Computer Festival  

> and ask me to send you what you need.

Thanks Sellam, Please send me what I need. :^)

---

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 30 01:19:00 2003

> packet driver and an NDIS shim...

Thanks,  I don't need them both at the same time... Connection with  
Samba will be quite enough.

---

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 30 01:37:01 2003

> from microsoft. This software allows dhcp network setup, and has FTP 

Aak no has Windows for Workgroups.. only Win3.1, but I want this to be 
a DOS box
I could always install Windows 95 if need be.

I suppose I could install dual boot windows 95 and DOS-6.22

Ok... I **WILL** hate myself in the morning but it's almost midnight, I 
have an excuse
I was too tired... yeah right.

Mr Scott, Begin the Windows 98 install procedure...
(aye captain)

(Sellam - Thanks anyway - this should work and I can have multiple 
"dos" windows)

---

From: James Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 30 08:38:01 2003

I use Microsoft "Workgroup Companion".  It was the netwoking components 
of WFWG 3.11 without all of the GUI stuff.  you use all of the "net" 
comand line stuff to connect to SMB servers.  I use the TCP/IP stack 
that MS distributed for WFWG and the WGC  to get  DOS machnies on a 
network all of the time.  The WGC fits on a single 1.2 floppy.  It used 
to show up in surplus store in Dallas for $1 all of the time.  I haven't 
seen any recently, but I haven't been looking.

-- 
http://webpages.charter.net/jrice54/classiccomp2.html

---

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 30 11:46:00 2003

.... or

" use it or loose it "

On Sunday, March 30, 2003, at 06:40  AM, James Rice wrote:

> I use Microsoft "Workgroup Companion".  It was the netwoking 
> components of WFWG 3.11 without all of the GUI stuff.  you use all of 
> the "net" comand line stuff to connect to SMB servers.  I use the 
> TCP/IP stack that MS distributed for WFWG and the WGC  to get  DOS 
> machnies on a network all of the time.  The WGC fits on a single 1.2 
> floppy.  It used to show up in surplus store in Dallas for $1 all of 
> the time.  I haven't seen any recently, but I haven't been looking.
>
>
Thanks James, I installed W95 last night and I am currently struggling 
with
that network setup.

To think only 2 years ago I was a network administrator in a network 
with 400 windows and mac machines
and This is giving me any trouble at all.... :^P

Ron

---

From: Paul Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 30 15:34:00 2003

> packet driver from your driver diskette?  This works for me.

The following links will point ya to all sorts for dos networking tools.
http://www.fdisk.com/doslynx/
http://www.oldskool.org/~tvdog/internet.html
http://sshdos.sourceforge.net/
http://www.eznos.org/index.html
http://www.ncf.ca/~ag221/resource.html

> (I know there were some commercial offerings, don't know about free).

There was a shareware DOS & Packet Driver NFS client called XFS that was
shareware on the SIMTEL archive.  I've never used it so don't know if it
works well with modern NFS implementations.

I've used MS-CLIENT 3.0 to talk to samba & windows 95 windows file
sharing servers and it appears to work quite well.  I've used the telnet
& ftp clients in WFW TCP add-on with it and it work for me several years
ago.