Subject: DEC disk packs.

From: "Tim Myers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 08:07:00 2003

I have 29 RLO1/RLO2 cartridges, 11 RL07 cartridges, and 3 RM03
cartdridges. If anyone wants to collect them from The Wirral, UK,
contact me off list. 

The need to be collected by the end of this week, they'll be skipped
otherwise. 

Tim.

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 10:01:01 2003

> cartdridges. If anyone wants to collect them from The Wirral, UK,

Crap.  I could use a few RL02 carts, but you're on the complete wrong side
of the pond.  Any chance you'd ship to the states?

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu

---

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 10:31:01 2003

Here Here... I 2nd that... I'm in need of some RL02 media, and I'd gladly
pay shipping if you'd be willing...

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 12:32:00 2003

> pay shipping if you'd be willing...

What are packs going for over here?  I'm sure shipping is a big deal,
intra-state or inter-national, because of padding requirements.  DEC
used to ship packs between these urethane foam box ends.  I wonder how
those have held up over the years.  Many of mine are damaged here and
there.

-ethan
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: Owen Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 14:27:00 2003

If you'll ship to the states, I could *seriously* use all the RL01 packs I
can get my hands on. My PDP-11/34 FINALLY booted RSX-11M the other day, and
I have a whole bunch of RL01s that I really need to back up, plus I need
some for file storage of my own.

-- 
Owen Robertson

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 20:51:00 2003

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, Owen Robertson wrote:
> can get my hands on. My PDP-11/34 FINALLY booted RSX-11M the other day,
> and I have a whole bunch of RL01s that I really need to back up, plus I
> need some for file storage of my own.

BTW, I hereby send out a public congrats for getting that going.  You've
been working on that thing off and on for quite a while!  I can't wait to
see it boot up the next time I come visit.  I know you had several other
RL01 packs there; how many of them work?

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: Owen Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 22:07:00 2003

on 4/16/03 8:53 PM, Jeffrey Sharp at [email-masked] wrote:

> been working on that thing off and on for quite a while!

Thank you! I have been working on it off and on for about 1.5 - 2 years. I'd
like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on the list (including
yourself, Jeff) who helped me get it up and running. I got it booted rather
by accident. I was testing out my spare DL11-W, and decided that using the
"It might not help but it can't hurt" principle, I would try booting it with
the spare DL11-W in place. The next thing I knew I was sitting at an MCR
prompt.

> I can't wait to see it boot up the next time I come visit.

And I can't wait to show it to someone who understands the significance of
it!

> I know you had several other RL01 packs there; how many of them work?

I just counted them today. I have 17 in all. Of those 17, there are only 3
that I know for sure don't work. I've tested out almost all of the other 14,
and so far they have all worked. I consider myself very fortunate.

I have a bunch of great RSX-11 software that came with my system including a
Fortran compiler, Pascal compiler, Z80 and 8048 development systems,
Datatrieve and more!

-- 
Owen Robertson

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 23:34:00 2003

> some for file storage of my own.

To properly backup a RL01 or RL02 you need the following items:

Q-Bus based MicroVAX (I use a MicroVAX 3 in a third party chassis)
A fair amount of diskspace on the MicroVAX (I use a pair of shadowed RA73's).
An Ethernet controller for the MicroVAX
an RLV12 for the MicroVAX

With a setup like this you can simply attach a RL01 or RL02 drive to the
MicroVAX and backup the diskpacks to disk files.  You can then restore the
disk files to diskpacks at a later date.  You can also use the diskfiles
that you create under SIMH.

BTW, the ethernet controller is so that you can get the images transferred
to a system with a CD-R/W drive, and burn your images to CD-R's!

			Zane

---

From: Dan Veeneman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 12:39:00 2003

Hi Jay,

I'm still working my way through the backlog of e-mail.

>pay shipping if you'd be willing...

I've got a couple of RL02 disk packs here.  They're in good physical shape,
but since I don't have an RL02 drive or even a PDP to run them on, I have
no idea if they're useable.

Cheers,

Dan
www.decodesystems.com/wanted.html