Subject: A car-related computer?

From: Tom Owad <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 21 20:55:01 2003

Anybody know what this is?

It has a dial for cylinders, a disal for meas. val. (measurement value, I
presume), switches for 4 cylinders and 8 cylinders, a switch with options
"car", "ci", and "sim", a bnc connector labeled "osc. out", etc.  The
display is 4 alphanumeric LEDs.  On power up, it displays "Cn00"  (where
'n' is all four vertical segments and the topmost horizontal segment).

I've posted pictures of the unit and some of the cards here:

<http://www.applefritter.com/temp/exiles/car/>

There isn't any brand name on it and many of the boards look custom.  A
few though look like like custom prints.

I appreciate any help.

Tom

Applefritter
www.applefritter.com

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 21 21:29:01 2003

> few though look like like custom prints.

Well, judging by the "W. Germany" label, it was probably made during the
mid-1980's (a check of the chip date codes can verify this).

It looks like it may be a pre-production beta prototype.  Or that could be
the way they manufactured it.

As for its function, it obviously does some sort of car engine analysis.

Maybe some of our Deutsche freundin can help identify it?

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Cameron Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 21 22:17:00 2003

> Maybe some of our Deutsche freundin can help identify it?

You have a German girlfriend???? :-) *scnr*

-- 
----------------------------- personal page: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
 Cameron Kaiser, Floodgap Systems Ltd * So. Calif., USA * [email-masked]
-- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. -----

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 21 22:59:00 2003

> You have a German girlfriend???? :-) *scnr*

Damn it!  Time to re-enroll in German school ;)

--