Subject: scanning booklets for archive

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 10:51:00 2003

I finally have a scanning system setup here for archiving documents.

Does anyone have a good idea of how to deal with booklets? That is, items 
that are printed on 8.5x11 paper, then folded over and stapled. RIght 
now, I have been opening the booklet to the center, removing the 
paperclip, then cutting the booklet in half down the spine, and scanning 
the first half as double sided then the 2nd half as double sided in order 
to keep the pages in order. (obviously I'm concerned with multipage 
booklets)

This is fine, for things that are headed to the trash after scanning, but 
for things I might want to hang on to, I don't really want to cut the 
booklet in half.

Is there any recommendations on how best to keep the pages in order? What 
do others do? Or does everyone either leave them in printed bound order 
for later reprinting (which means in the wrong order for reading in a 
PDF, booklet printed order for a 12 page booklet would be 1/12, 2/11, 
3/10 and so on) or do things the hard manual way by scanning to image, 
and cutting the image up into the right parts before going to PDF (right 
now I am doing things the lazy way and scanning directly into Acrobat so 
I'm never touching the raw image).

Suggestions?

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Tue Jul 22 17:59:12 2003

> paperclip, then cutting the booklet in half down the spine, and scanning 

Why cut them in half? When I needed to copy some booklets like this, I 
pulled out the staples, then took each sheet and folded it back in half. 
I then scanned/copied each side of that, folded it back the other way and
scanned/copied the 2 sides of it in that configuration (this got copies 
of all 4 booklet-pages that made up a single sheet). After I'd done all 
the pages, I put them back in the right order and put the (original) 
staples back in.

Of course you'd ahve to re-shuffle the scans in software to get the pages 
in the right order, but I assume this is not hard to do.

-tony