Subject: Re: _offline_ scanning.

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 24 23:15:01 2003

>Anybody offer a scanner that goes directly to disk, 
>possibly via TWAIN over USB?  Seems possible
>since there are digital camera solutions that do that.
>My dad wants to do scanning and is computer shy...
>the idea is that I would visit him semiregularly and 
>offload/OCR/organize his work then.
>This would involve the destruction of NO manuals.

I don't know about directly to disk, but I can say that Adobe Acrobat's 
"Import from Scanner" feature makes it just about directly to disk.

With Acrobat (full version, not Reader), when I choose import, it brings 
up my scanner control, I click SCAN (or change options if I want, but I 
have it preset to how I want things and it keeps it how I last set it). 
My scanner starts, scans the sheets in the sheet feeder, and then Acrobat 
prompts me to reinsert for the back side, or asks if there are any more 
pages (depending on if I said it was double or single sided).

Once the scan process is done, I'm left with an open new PDF file of all 
the scanned pages, in order (including properly ordering the double sided 
pages). I just choose Save, give it a name, and I'm done.

So basically, it isn't directly to disk, but it is only about 6 steps to 
a finished product, and all the steps are fairly simple so a quick cheat 
sheet of directions might be enough for all but the full fledged 
technophobes.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 24 23:41:00 2003

> sheet of directions might be enough for all but the full fledged 

The full version of Adobe Acrobat definitly gets my vote.  I think V6 might
even have some hooks for getting the documents OCR'd, but I can't remember
(I'm still at V5).

			Zane