Subject: Re: Cassette Media

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:32:20 2003

>theres no header on the data tapes (IIRC)

That's a simple fix. 

Actually, if that is the only reason an audio tape isn't usable, then I 
can custom order tapes from a supplier I use in the correct length (600 
feet) and with no leader. I don't know the price for sure, but I would 
venture to say no more than $2.00 per tape. (I get normal 120 minute 
tapes from him for about 60 cents a tape).

Somehow I suspect there are other reasons beyond tape length and lack of 
a leader that makes it different from an audio tape.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: Peter Turnbull <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:37:40 2003

On May 15,  9:36, chris wrote:
> On May 14, 21:40, Geoff Reed wrote:

There is on mine, see below.

> a leader that makes it different from an audio tape.

Probably.  I have some 30/60MB Verbatim ones, which *do* have a leader.
 I suspect they'e a different coercivity from normal audio tape.
 However, I think the warnings about not using audo tape come from the
fact that cheaper audio tape used to be reknowned for being a little
abrasive, and for shedding oxide, which is not very good for streamer
performance.

-- 
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

---

From: Peter Turnbull <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:37:55 2003

> a leader that makes it different from an audio tape.

I found a little information that may give a cluue.  Go to

    http://www.cybergenetic.ca/ebook/wrh13.htm

and scroll down to the section headed "D/CAS".  My tapes have the big
notch described.  I think the coercivity of these tapes is about 600
oersteds (which makes them Class II); normal audio tape is about
280-320 (Class I).

-- 
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

---

From: Don Maslin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:39:12 2003

> a leader that makes it different from an audio tape.

All of the data cassette tapes that I have run across come
equipped with BOT/EOT perforations to prevent run off at either
end.  I do not recall such being used on audio tapes.  If your
drive uses them, the lack could be awkward.

						- don

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Fri May 16 10:39:36 2003

> equipped with BOT/EOT perforations to prevent run off at either

I beleive the tapes were once available either with or without the EOT 
hole. Some drives needed it, others used the transparent leader.

-tony