Subject: Odessey 1 (was Re: Fw: Game console up to $200)

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 21 00:57:56 2003

--- Keys <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Forgot to put the url
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3019149119
.
.
.
> > A Magnavox Odyssey from 1972 is up to $200 with a few hours left to
> > bid. I would like to have one but not at these prices.

I've had one these since I was a kid, but I've never seen the rifle
or the boxed games before.

-ethan
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 21 01:00:00 2003

> or the boxed games before.

Those are not too uncommon on eBay either.  They do come up from time to
time.  I found one in the wild (at a thrift store) a few years ago and
bought it, but it didn't have the carthridge.  I bought one on eBay last
year and spent entirely way too much money on it (something like $75) but
it included the carthridge, the overlays, and the box was nice.

The boxed games also come up from time to time (more than the rifle does).
They are especially hard to get because very few were sold due to poor
marketing.  People bid them up to sometimes outrageous levels on eBay, but
if you're patient you can snap them up at bargain prices one at a time (2
down, 5 to go).

The coolest Odyssey gadget I have is a floaty pen that reads "Magnavox
Color TV with Built-In Odyssey".  Now, I've spoken with Ralph Baer (the
inventor of the Odyssey) and he never mentioned that one of these was ever
built (though it was his idea from the start).  So it was really
interesting to find this pen.  It doesn't write but the floaty still
works, and it's way cool.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *