Subject: Re: An on-topic machine *still* doing useful work

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri Mar 28 13:05:59 2003

In a message dated 3/27/2003 11:56:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<<   I thought you guys might enjoy the following photographs of a 486 based
 NCR 3230 that is *still* in use, as a colocated server running a dozen
 websites (including mine [1]) and email:
 
               http://www.conman.org/people/myg/photos/tower486/
 
   The photos were taken by my friend (who happened to stop the colocation
 facility for another reason). >>

I've got one even better! Some companies are still using Atari Mega STs to 
run mail inserters. I'm trying to get one of these machines from a site that 
is upgrading.

---

From: John Honniball <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 13:07:15 2003

> run mail inserters. I'm trying to get one of these machines from a site that 

How about this photo:

    http://junkpile.fotopic.net/photo.php?id=360216

It was taken on a UK railway station platform, and shows the
"Departures" video screen. This screen normally displays train times,
but in the photo it's showing the BBC Micro startup message for
Acorn 1770 DFS (Disk Filing System).

--
John Honniball
[email-masked]

---

From: "Dr. Ido" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 31 19:59:10 2003

>run mail inserters. I'm trying to get one of these machines from a site that 

In shopping centres around here (Melbourne, Australia) you sometimes find
these print your own business card machines that 
are Atari ST based.  I'm not sure which ST as I've never seen inside one,
but they crash with the familiar ST bombs every now and then.