Subject: Re: new finds :-)

From: Bill Yakowenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 29 18:24:13 2003

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:53:29, Joe <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Visted one of my favorite scrounging places today and found a Otrona
> Attache and a Soroc Terminal (1802 CPU :-) :-)  Also got two shugart 851 8"
> floppy drives, an IC Master (1988) a stack of DRI CPM manuals, a DEC PDP-8
> handbook and a notebook full of Mostek computer board manuals. Oh and an
> AIM-65 User's Guide.

Are you sure about the Soroc having an 1802?  Which model of Soroc?  I
thought Sorocs used z80s.  The one sitting next to me here (an IQ-135)
definitely has a z80.  It does have a 1602 UART though...

Speaking of which, how many Sorocs are still out there?  Were they as
common in the rest of the world as they seemed in my corner of it?  I
hardly ever hear of them anymore, even on e-bay.

	Bill.

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 1 08:52:00 2003

Hi Bill,

   I THOUGHT it had an 1802 until I took it apart for cleaning/checking.
Then I found out that it had one of those "RARE" NEC Z-80s :-/  It turns
out that this is a model 130 and not a model 120. The 120s did use 1802s.
This one also has the 1602 USART. I searched E-bay and didn't find anything
related to Soroc. I searched the net and found quite a few hits for the
model 120 and only one hit for the 130 and that was a message that Erik K.
posted few weeks ago. I didn't see anything for a 135 but I did see a
mention of a model 140.

The one sitting next to me here (an IQ-135)
>definitely has a z80.

   Do you need a 130 to go with it? This one is interesting but I don't
have room for things like this.

     Joe

---

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 1 08:54:09 2003

I have one here in Texas

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 1 08:54:22 2003

> hardly ever hear of them anymore, even on e-bay.

It was the first dumb terminal I ever got (way back before I became a
"collector").  They are not terribly common, bordering on rare.  It's a
nice terminal.  I like the beep sound it makes whenever you press a key.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Philippe Sonnet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:36:01 2003

> > Speakerine of whist, how man's Sors are stilton out terre?  Vera thon as
> > commune in te reste of te world as thon seemed in my corner of it?  I

I have two SOROC's here in Belgium.
One is visible on : http://www.sonnet.be

Philippe