Subject: Teletype 33 wanted

From: Tore Sinding Bekkedal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 1 16:14:03 2003

Question regarding the PDP-7 (see
http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2003-June/015291.html)

I am working on the Teletype (KSR33) and wondered if anyone has (a
reasonably priced) one? ASR is a small plus, but not neseccary.

I have a pathetic budget for this (£9, $12-ish) project, but I could
probably scrape up some dough if needed.

I live in Norway, so Europe is a plus. We have the 220v-115v converter
built-in to the stand.

And, does anyone know about the interface of the thing?? Is it RS-232
compatible?

Love, Piece, and Understatements
 _____________________
/Tore Sinding Bekkedal\
[email-masked]   |
|+47 91 85 95 08      \_________________________
| Semi-proud resident of Norway since 1988      \
\_______________________________________________/

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Mon Jun 2 07:57:53 2003

> reasonably priced) one? ASR is a small plus, but not neseccary.

If you've got one that you're working on, why are you looking for another 
complete Model 33, rather than spare parts/manuals? These machines are 
not difficult to repair...

> And, does anyone know about the interface of the thing?? Is it RS-232

Unlikely (but I guess possible). Most of the Model 33s used with 
computers have a current loop interface, either 20mA or 60mA. Converting 
that to/from RS232 is an interesting little project.

-tony

---

From: Charlie Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 2 07:58:15 2003

Earlier, Tore Sinding Bekkedal wrote:
>  [ ... ] 

As I recall, the TTY 33 had a 110 baud modem built in.  I don't think
you had to order the modem as a separate thing.  The other comment
about a current loop interface sounds familiar, I presume that was
between the internal modem and the controller box.

> Love, Piece, and Understatements

Understatements go without saying  :-)

    - Charlie

-- 

 Charlie Smith  [email-masked]  +1 614 271-1418  
 http://elektro.cmhnet.org/~charlie/  Columbus Ohio     USA
 SMS: [email-masked]

---

From: Hans Pufal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 2 07:58:31 2003

> reasonably priced) one? ASR is a small plus, but not neseccary.

I take it yours is not working

> And, does anyone know about the interface of the thing?? Is it RS-232

No it will be 20ma current loop. Conversion to RS232 is quite trivial we 
have a homebuilt box which does that. Let me know if you need teh 
schematics.

   -- hbp

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 2 07:58:40 2003

--- Charlie Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
> As I recall, the TTY 33 had a 110 baud modem built in.

As an option.

I have one ASR-33 with (along with a touch-tone keypad for dialling)
and one without (fitted with the DEC reader-run relay and a six-wire
console cable).

The one with has it in the pedestal.  It *fills* the pedestal.

-ethan