Subject: Did you guys ever find a source for any TIL306's?

From: "Jim Pruitt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 10:11:10 2003

Hello Joe.
I ran across your message at
http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2003-January/007306.html
about the TIL306.  Did you or Toth ever find any TIL306's?  I am also looking
for some (8 of them to be exact) and like you and Toth have been able to find
several TIL311's but no TIL306's.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt

http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2003-January/007306.html
and
http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctech/2003-January/007252.html
substitute for TI TIL306/307 Display?
Joe [email-masked]
Mon Jan 6 01:37:30 2003

  a.. Previous message: substitute for TI TIL306/307 Display?
  b.. Next message: Pinout for EECO Tape Reader?
  c.. Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

At 01:18 AM 1/4/03 -0600, you wrote:
>
>I have the datasheet for the 311 in pdf format if you'd like me to email
>it to you. The 311 has a built-in BCD decoder, but not a counter, like the
>306/307.

     I need the counter function but I'd like a copy of the PDF anyway.
>
>> > I'll make a note to check a couple of my local surplus dealers over
>> > the next few weeks. If I find any TIL306 displays, I'll pick them up.
>> > Should I also hunt for any 307s?
>>
>> 306's or 307s will work equally well. The one difference between them is
>> that one has the decimal point to the left of the digit and the other
>> has the dp on the right.  My unit doesn't use the decimal points so
>> either display will work fine.
>
>Ok, thats what I wanted to be sure of. Often devices didn't use the
>decimal points, but I didn't want to assume that was the case.
>
>> > If all else fails, would it be possible to salvage your displays? I've
>> > carefully ground back ceramic and plastic on other dip components to
>> > attach replacement leads in the past, but it isn't a fun task...
>>
>> It's possible but all the leads on them are weak and I'd probably have
>> to eventually replace ALL the leads.
>
>Been there, done that. I have a pile of early 74244s and other 7400 series
>logic chips that have nearly nothing left of their leads due to the foam
>that were stored in for roughly 15-20 years.

   Same here. I squirreled away a lot of parts over the years but found that
many of them were damaged due to the foam. Fortunately I've get some pretty
good scrap sources and I've been finding lots of military grade cards with
socketed ICs in the last couple of years so I've been picking them up and
pulling the ICs and storing them in parts cabinets. I've amassed a huge stock
in just the last year. I was also lucky last year and picked up a good number
of parts cabinets that have all the drawers made out of anti-static material.
I had been keeping the parts in anti-static foam for AS protestion but now I
don't have to.

.Thankfully, the TIL311s and
>most of the other chips that came in the same batch of parts didn't have
>the same problem, though their leads had to be cleaned.

   I have a fair number of 308 and 311 displays that I've pulled from cards
and the local surplus place has plenty of them but the 306/307s seem to be
scarce.

    Joe

>-Toth

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
---

  a.. Previous message: substitute for TI TIL306/307 Display?
  b.. Next message: Pinout for EECO Tape Reader?
  c.. Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 15:34:53 2003

--- Tothwolf <[email-masked]> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2003, Jim Pruitt wrote:
> 
> > about the TIL306.  Did you or Toth ever find any TIL306's?  I am also
> > looking for some (8 of them to be exact) and like you and Toth have
> > been able to find several TIL311's but no TIL306's.
> 
> Jim,
> 
> I'm afraid I haven't been able to locate a supplier for them. I did
> however end up in contact with Randy Gill <[email-masked]>, who's
> company is making new TIL311s. He told me he could have TIL306/307/308s
> made if there were enough demand, probably at least 1000-2000 units a
> year.

I have a pair of their CMOS TIL311 replacements - very nice.  The body
is made of darker red-plastic than some of the originals, so they are
easier to read in bright ambient light if you don't have a red filter
over them.  In case anyone can't find real 311s for $2.50 each (the
occasional eBay price), the Innocor parts are $8.00 each, new from stock,
one tube minimum order.

Considering that vendors who stock the TIL311 routinely charge $10-$15
each for them, it's not a bad price, especially if you need more than
a couple... eBay is OK for a few here and there, but for commercial
use (like this ISA POST card I have with a pair of them), a known
supply is frequently more valuable than saving a few bucks a unit.

Unfortunately, I doubt there'd be as much demand for TIL306s or any of
the other variants.  I honestly didn't know there were parts with counters,
etc., until this thread started.

-ethan

P.S. - I did discover that one of my 1975-vintage parts is defective - it's
from some kind of industrial display unit with a NS 8073 driving four of
them through an 8255 - kinda looks like a panel VOM or timer.
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 15:35:04 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003, Jim Pruitt wrote:

> looking for some (8 of them to be exact) and like you and Toth have been
> able to find several TIL311's but no TIL306's.

Jim,

-Toth

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 15:36:01 2003

Jim,

   Yes I finally found a small handfull of 311s at a surplus store. They
may have some 306s but they're about 70 miles from here so I don't get
there very often. I'll try and remember to look for some the next time that
I'm there. Drop me a note in a couple of weeks and remind me. I think I may
have a couple of 306s here but I'm in the midst of cleaning some of the
piles of parts that I've scrounged and pulling parts and re-arranging my
parts cabinents so I can't find them at the moment. What are they used in?

    Joe

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 15:36:13 2003

Jim,

    Joe