Subject: Re: A Vectrex Case goes for over $162

From: Bryan Pope <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 5 22:13:32 2003

And thusly Keys spake:
> 
> This just for a empty case???? The machines itself goes for $5 to $25 at the
> thrifts here.

Do you have any!?!?!?!?!  I would love one to play with!!

Cheers,

Bryan

---

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 8 23:49:01 2003

I can put you on the list for one, as I have others now wanting one also.  I
have three or four of them myself right now with two working and the other
two do not.

---

From: Bryan Pope <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 8 23:53:38 2003

> have three or four of them myself right now with two working and the other

**S w e e t**  That would be great!!!

Thanks!,

Bryan Pope

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 8 23:57:13 2003

Hi folks,

I've received this via another mailing list - I'd love the model 12 myself
but the shipping will be too much and too risky I think, particularly with
what happened to the last Model III I got :)

As ever, please reply direct to the original sender.

Cheers!

>------------------------------------------------------
> I'd like to donate some old Tandy TRS-80 equipment.
> I have:
> Model III (2 each)
> Model 12
> Spare 5-1/4 floppy drive (2 each)
> Video Display
> Line Printer VI
> 3 boxes of manuals binders and programs
>
 John in Seattle
*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*
: John Wm Sloniker  <[email-masked]>  Seattle, WA  :
:  (206) 789-6663      7323 - 19th Ave NW       98117-5612  :
*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*====*
>------------------------------------------------------

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans

---

From: Martin Scott Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 9 02:11:16 2003

Just saw this, and thought I'd respond.

>> > This just for a empty case???? The machines itself goes for $5 to $25 at

Yes, that much for the case (there's also a dust cover as well that goes
for quite a pretty penny as well).  It's not uncommon for Vectrex
peripherals/etc. to go for far more than the console itself.  That's
because they saw much less distribution then the console (which had a 2
year lifespan in the market).  The 3D goggles for instance, go upwards
around $400.  The carrying case is similar enough to the old Macintosh
carrying cases, so if you have or can get one of those it works well also
(I can verify with my own that the fit is near perfect).

I have a mint pair of 3D goggles, and the interesting thing is they made
the vector graphics in to color.  There's a spinning disc in the goggle
which is actually a spinning color wheel with colors on it specific to the
game.  The game itself with synch drawing various lines on the screen to
the color of the wheel - instant color.  The 3D was a stereoscopic effect
as well, which was also synched to the wheel.  Multiple lines drawn and
left to dissapear in synch.  These were the first 3D goggles for any game
console, and they did it pretty cost effective.

There was a color version of the Vectrex itself in the works, and they
were doing it pretty uniquely and cost effective as well.  Instead of
having multiple colored vector beams like some of the arcade vector games
did, they used a multilayered phosphor screen of a red and a green layer.
The layers were accessed by adjusting the voltage of the electron gun, and
a third color could be generated by setting the voltage in the "in between
range" of the two layers.  You can read a bit more about it here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jmorg/vectrex/VecColor.htm

That sounds about right for a loose Vectrex in the thrifts by the way.  On
ebay you probably get in the $30-$40 range, more if there's games
included such as a loose Vectrex with 2 games that recently went for
around $50.  Of course if the games include the original overlays (for
those not familiar, the Vectrex games used overlays for each game that
went over the screen and added playfield graphics or game directions -
just like many arcade games of the time did), they're worth more as well.

>> Do you have any!?!?!?!?!  I would love one to play with!!

When you do get one, don't forget - there are still plenty of new Vectrex
games/cartridges being produced.  Probably the most prevalent author is
Chris Tumber (http://www.capitalssoftware.com/index2.htm).  He also sells
his new games through ebay as well.

Marty
ClassicGaming.Com

Atari Gaming Headquarters
www.atarihq.com

Museum of Home Video Gaming
www.classicgaming.com/gamingmuseum