Subject: Power Supply Problem?

From: "Jerome H. Fine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 15 17:38:30 2003

I could use some help with a hardware problem??  PLEASE!!

Two weeks ago, my system crashed because both hard disk drives
failed.  I replaced them (and sent the bad ones in for replacement
under warranty), but did not do anything else since at the time
it seemed that the more likely problem was something random.
Some additional information - I looked at the disk drives before
they were returned for replacement and they would not spin up
when the logic board was still connected, but when the logic
board was disconnected, spin-up did take place.  It seems
likely that the logic boards were fried.

Just last week, the system crashed again and would not even power
up.  This seemed to point to the power supply and it was replaced.

Now the system is working perfectly again.  The latter time, the
replacement disk drives were not harmed.

Can anyone help with a reasonable estimate as to whether or not
it seems more or less likely that the cause of both problems was
the power supply or not?  The system had probably been running
a total of about the equivalent of 3 years of continuous use.

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
--
If you attempted to send a reply and the original e-mail
address has been discontinued due a high volume of junk
e-mail, then the semi-permanent e-mail address can be
obtained by replacing the four characters preceding the
'at' with the four digits of the current year.