Subject: Northgate OmniKey Ultra

From: David Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 4 01:28:36 2003

Howdy all, 

I stumbled across a Northgate Omnikey Ultra (not UltraPlus) keyboard in
the local thrift store, and picked it up for 5$.  (It had a nice feel,
kinda PS/2'ish, and no stupid windows, or various other internet/volume
controls/etc keys.)

I've had it for about a week now, and just can't get used to funky
arrangement of the arrow keys in the middle, and the F keys on the left
just throws my Unreal Tournament gaming off. 

(See http://www.northgate-keyboard-repair.com for some piccy's)

Anyways, I gather these things were something of a 'gotta have it'
keyboard at one time, and were bloody expensive. 

Thought I'd offer it up here, for 5$ + shipping before it goes
downstairs in the basement to collect dust. 

One thing to note, is its got one of the AT style connectors in back, so
you'll need an adapter if your going to plug it into a PS/2 style
connector. (No, you can't have the one I was using)

Visually, its pretty clean, there's a little green stuff on the bottom
where I attacked (mostly ineffectively) some sticky stuff w/ a scrubbing
sponge, but the top is (imho) nice and clean.  

I think all the keys work, however, there might be a few F keys I didn't
hit the week I was using it.

I gather it might of came with some extra keycaps when it was new, so
you could move around control/shift.  I do not have those.

Anyways, enough disclaimers, 

Anyone want it? (I think this is at least on-topic)

David

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 4 01:29:12 2003

> just throws my Unreal Tournament gaming off. 

So we know it's one of the sort with the Omni key instead of an
inverted-T layout.

If it's an Ultra, it should also have the function keys across the 
top.

> keyboard at one time, and were bloody expensive. 

Not that bad.  In the mid-1990s you could get them for about $70,
which seems expensive for a keyboard, but for those of us who really
wanted the control key to be to the left of A and didn't want to have
to fuss with driver software to make it happen, it was well worth it.

If you want expensive, go check out the Avant Stellar!  That is
reportedly the modern Northgate OmniKey, and it sells for about $150.

> you could move around control/shift.  I do not have those.

So, some questions to help folks ID what you've got.

Is the control key to the left of A?

Where are the switches?  Poking out the back, or hidden under the
"OmniKey" flip-top lid, or not present at all (flip the lid up, see
nothing)?

Not present at all means it is a late-model programmable keyboard.
They had firmware bugs, and the "fix" was "remove the EEPROM that
holds the key remappings".  

> Anyone want it? (I think this is at least on-topic)

Somebody better!

-Frank McConnell

---

From: David Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 4 01:31:01 2003

> If it's an Ultra, it should also have the function keys across the 

It does. Across the top, and on the left. 

> reportedly the modern Northgate OmniKey, and it sells for about $150.

Saw'm for as much as 198$ a couple of places.. (ouch)

> Is the control key to the left of A?

No, control-key is in the bottom left hand corner. (I guess its not
quite identical to the picture on northgate-keyboard-repair.com - My
bad.)

The bottom corner keys are laid out something like so:

Capslock
Shift
Control  [Grey < & > key]  Alt

> "OmniKey" flip-top lid, or not present at all (flip the lid up, see

Under the lid are a set of dip switches and what looks to be a orange
reset switch.    It claims to be Rev 7.03 on the back of the keyboard. 

> > Anyone want it? (I think this is at least on-topic)

I've got a couple of follow up's already.  (Hopefully they're paying
attention when I say:  I'll find out what shipping/postage is to their
respective zip code(s) on Monday, once I can figure out what kinda box I
can find)

David