Subject: Re: Tek 1230

From: "Erik Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 23 17:49:24 2003

> Hi,
> 
> I came across your 8008/8080 web page while searching for ...

I've noticed a fair number of these types of posts lately.  Basically 
it comes down to the address munging that's being done to prevent 
spammers from harvesting is also preventing legitimate browsers from 
identifying the authors of messages individually.

I'm not sure if anyone wants this fixed, but couldn't we perform some 
form of reversible modification to the email address?  Perhaps turning 
[email-masked] into cctalk2003ATclassiccmpDOTorg would fool the 
harvesters and allow people to reply to an individual.

Just a thought,

   Erik Klein
   www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum
   The Vintage Computer Forum

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:11:00 2003

> harvesters and allow people to reply to an individual.

You don't think the spammers have thought of that already?

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Peter Turnbull <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:11:30 2003

> harvesters and allow people to reply to an individual.

I'd like to see it fixed.  I've had occasional useful contacts from
people who've seen my address in the archive, and I'd rather see it
munged in some human-reversible way than simply replaced with the
mailing list address.

-- 
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager
						University of York

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:11:45 2003

> identifying the authors of messages individually.

No, they can identify the author by name.  What it really comes down
to is that the address munging provides a mailto: link which makes it
easy for folks who find the archive pages to generate an e-mail
message to the list (which is OK), and that these folks don't realize
that they're about to post to a mailing list and that providing some
context would be a good thing.  If they realized that, they could
perhaps write "w/r/t foo's message to this list on date mm/dd/yy on
the matter of bar" or even copy and paste some of the webby archive
page into the message.

What might be helpful would be for the webby archive pages to not have
that link right next to the poster's name, but instead to have a "post
a follow-up to this message" link somewhere on the page.  I have no
idea how to do this using pipermail though.

-Frank McConnell

---

From: "Erik S. Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:12:33 2003

I'm sure they have, but do they really bother programming their
harvester software for that type of intelligence?  I doubt it.

I'm sure we can come up with some algorithm that people can reverse but
that the bots can't decipher or even recognize as emails. . .  Just
turning every "a" to a "z" and every "z" to an "a" should confuse them
enough.

   Erik Klein

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Vintage Computer Festival
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2003 3:54 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Tek 1230

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer
Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger
http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at
www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:13:38 2003

> harvester software for that type of intelligence?  I doubt it.

Yes, they do.

> turning every "a" to a "z" and every "z" to an "a" should confuse them

Like I've always said, it's much easier to just find and kill all the
spammers.

--