Subject: Openvms Alpha 3.0 kits now available

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 24 19:53:34 2003

For those looking for up-to-date VMS media for you Classic (or other) Alpha's,
I just noticed that Montgar has the OpenVMS Alpha 3.0 kits available.
Finally!

For reference, the URL is: http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/mount.html

Stuart Johnson

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue May 27 07:12:34 2003

>For reference, the URL is: http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/mount.html

Thanks for the reminder, I'd seen this last night on comp.os.vms and had forgotten about it.

If anyone is running OpenVMS installed from the 2.0 Hobbyist Kit, and using TCPIP, you really want to get the 3.0 kit.  Though it won't be till the next release of TCPIP later this year that it finally gets ssh support.  Still, V5.1 added 'xdm' support and anti-spam features that make it well worth while.  I'm honestly not sure what V5.3 adds, as I'm still running 5.1.

			Zane

-- 
--
| Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| [email-masked] (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
|     Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing,    |
|          PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum.         |
|                http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/               |

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 28 01:23:46 2003

> For reference, the URL is: http://www.montagar.com/hobbyist/mount.html

Thanks for the tip!  My DEC4000-710 will be much happier!

-ethan
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo.
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: Mark Tapley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:17:46 2003

All,
	a friend of mine had a question this group is probably best to answer:

-------------
I am trying to determine the type of interface on an old Rodime 552 
drive.   It has 26 pins.   SCSI has 50.   IDE has 40.   The old MFM 
used two cables, not one so I don't think it's MFM.    I did find a 
listing for it at one of the surplus places in a table which lists 
interfaces, but all it said was "26 pin".     I'm trying to figure 
out if the thing is actually one of the more common interfaces with a 
funny connector--perhaps all the GND pins have been combined into one 
reducing the pin count.

This model of drive is found in the old Apple Hard Disk 20, which was 
the ancient floppy drive interface external hard drive used on Mac 
128Ks and 512Ks before the Plus with SCSI came out.
----------------

	any help for him? Thanks in advance,
							- Mark

---

From: Geoff Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:19:11 2003

it looks like a mac floppy drive to the outside world, that's the 
interface, it emulates a BIG floppy :)

At 03:45 PM 6/24/03 -0500, you wrote:
>drive.   It has 26 pins.   SCSI has 50.   IDE has 40.   The old MFM used 
>two cables, not one so I don't think it's MFM.    I did find a listing for 
>it at one of the surplus places in a table which lists interfaces, but all 
>it said was "26 pin".     I'm trying to figure out if the thing is 
>actually one of the more common interfaces with a funny connector--perhaps 
>all the GND pins have been combined into one reducing the pin count.
>
>This model of drive is found in the old Apple Hard Disk 20, which was the 
>ancient floppy drive interface external hard drive used on Mac 128Ks and 
>512Ks before the Plus with SCSI came out.
>----------------
>