Subject: Re: HP nixie tube module information needed (fwd)

From: Bill Richman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 23 21:04:58 2003

I asked my partner, and here's what he came up with about them.  Hope it
helps.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:41:52 -0500
From: Chris Radek <[email-masked]>
To: Bill Richman <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: HP nixie tube module information needed (fwd)

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 04:24:22PM -0500, Bill Richman wrote:
>
> http://www.ubanproductions.com/Images/nixie1.jpg
> http://www.ubanproductions.com/Images/nixie2.jpg

All I know is they were used in counters.  These have a binary to
1-of-10 decoder made out of photoresistors and neon bulbs (!) in
the black box.  It's not a HV supply like he guessed.

It should be possible to make a clock but he'll have to modify some
of them to reset before the usual cycle of 0-9.  Resetting at
23:59:59 is probably harder and would take some kind of external
logic.

They already have a feedback to make them reset after 9 instead of
counting to 15 - it just has to be modified.

On the other hand if he wants to make a clock, nixies are cheap
and it might be better to just leave the counter modules as-is and
use some logic more suited to counting the time (which is not
10-based).

I'm sorry I don't have a schematic.  It should be easy to trace
out - it's just four flip-flops and a feedback line for reset.