Subject: RE: HP storage formats on ss80 protocol disks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:23:12 2003

"Peter Brown" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> It strikes me that an application that enables the information on a cs/80 
> drive to be pulled onto a PC, backed-up on another format (e.g. CD ROM) and 
> then written back to the cs80 drive would be useful - does such an 
> application already exist?
Well if you have an HP9000 computer running HP-UX you can use dd to
get a copy of the disk image.

> It looks as though the first block on the disk (block 0) contains 
some drives do, others are hard partitioned (by the drive logic)
to 2 or more partitions, so what you are looking at may be just the
catalog of the first partition.

NetBSD (an Open Source Unix clone) supports the HP 9000 architecture
so the kernel source code (available from www.netbsd.org) contains
drives to access cs80 mass storage devices over HP-IB.

**vp

---

From: "Peter Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 22 15:55:24 2003

Hi Joe and Paxton?,

Joe,

I'm using device level calls to the NI GPIB board via the GPIB-32.DLL so any 
NI card that uses this driver should work - that includes NI ISA based cards 
(TNT-GPIB etc.), PCI cards (PCI-GPIB - the one that I'm using) and probably 
the PCMCIA-GPIB as well.

For the record, my development machine is XP based though any Win32 
operating system should be OK.

I'm going to try to tidy the code up a little - if people think that the 
idea of making an online catalog of files is a good one then I have no 
problem with making this application available to help making it.

Paxton,

Apologies if Paxton is where you live and not your name - I live in the UK 
so my knowledge of US place names is a little lacking!

My development machine has two GPIB cards in it both are PCI based - one is 
an NI PCI-GPIB card, the other an HP 82350 card.

The NI configuration utility only displays the NI card that is installed in 
the machine however the HP utility shows both cards.

It may be that the HP card can be controlled using the NI software but I 
haven't tried it yet - I'll have a play this evening.

If the HP PCI based card can be recognised then it is possible that an HP 
ISA card would be OK.  If not then it should be OK to use an NI ISA based 
GPIB card (around $20 on e-bay).  I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Peter Brown

_________________________________________________________________
Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger 
http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed Apr 23 12:58:01 2003

Ditto;

I have several drives and would like to interrogate them. I also just picked 
up a HP ISA HPIB card at Goodwill (inside a Compaq Deskpro XE 466). 

It would help. Thanks a lot for developing the concept and prelim SW.

Paxton
Astoria, OR