Subject: Re: scanning booklets for archive

From: Al Kossow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 20:40:05 2003

> Does anyone have a good idea of how to deal with booklets?

I scan them as double pages, and have some scripts I use with
GraphicConverter which splits them and resizes the page to 8.5 x 11

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 20:44:22 2003

>GraphicConverter which splits them and resizes the page to 8.5 x 11

Oooh... wanna share the scripts? 

Although my scanner goes to a Win98 box, I don't object to transfering 
the files to my Mac for post processing (my scanner is a Logitech 
FreeScan sheet feed roll scanner... not the greatest unit in the world, 
but it was free and its working. I should really look at the cost of a 
sheet feeder for my flatbed Umax so I can go right to my Mac).

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 20:45:52 2003

>If I need to do this, I make a copy of the book using a copier at work. Many
>better copiers have a "book copy" mode where the spine is centered along the
>center line of the scanning bed and the copier automatically copies both
>pages. At the end, some page re-sorting has to be done, but that's it.

Come to think of it, my copier does offer that feature. Humm... I'll have 
to think about that. I just hate to generate MORE waste paper in order to 
go more paperless. Although if the item has enough value to me, then it 
will probably be worth it.

-chris

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:29:43 2003

>So are these pdf's on a website or ftp site I can get at them?

At the moment, no, none of mine are. But I've just started. Depending on 
how large of a collection I wind up with (and copyrights to the 
collection), I may either put them all on a site for download, or put 
some, or put a list of them with a way to request a copy.

-chris

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:33:12 2003

>Err, if it's worth scanning, then it must have value to someone, and 
>therefore it's worth preserving the original.

Believe me, if I think there is anything that others might want, I'll 
offer them before throwing them out. And if I think it is something that 
has value, I'll be sure to check for takers before doing anything that 
will remove that value (such as cutting bindings to make sheet feeding 
easier). 

At the moment, all I have scanned is "test" items. Things that either 
were already offered and then thrown out when no one wanted them (such as 
the amplifier manuals I offered months ago that I was able to recover 
from my growing pile of scrap paper), or items that have zero value 
outside of my direct work (old in-house instruction manuals for equipment 
or processes).

-chris