Subject: Can anyone id these HP ICs?

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 13 20:56:18 2003

Picked up an HP circuit card today with some NEAT looking ICs. The ICs
are 16 pin DIP packages but are made entirely of gold and ceramic. They
have a gold bottom plate then a layer of white ceramic with what appears to
be a gold ring around the top then a gold lid soldered to that. The legs
are also all gold. They sit on gold plates that are slightly smalled than
the ICs and the plates have a single leg coming off of each end that is
soldered to the circuit board. The IC legs don't even mount in regular IC
sockets instead there is a gold leaf terminal for each leg. I've never seen
that type of terminals used for ICs before but HP does use them for
individual wires in some of their products. The wires to the card readers
in the HP-67 and HP-41 card readers are connected that way. I have no idea
what this card came out of other than it's made by HP. The part number
that's on it doesn't help id it either. There are 12 of these strange
looking ICs on the card. They have HP logos and all the part number
1820-2000, 1820-1999 or 1820-0753. I've searched the net for those numbers
and checked the on-line HP part number cross references but didn't find
anything. However the 1820 prefix usually indicates that the part uses TTL
levels.

   Any ideas?

   Joe

---

From: "ed sharpe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 17 11:47:38 2003

if you email me a scan of the card I may know what it is.

Thanks Ed Sharpe archivist for SMECC

Please check our web site at
 http://www.smecc.org
to see other engineering fields, communications and computation stuff we
buy, and by all means  when in Arizona drop in and see us.

address:

 coury house / smecc
5802 w palmaire ave
glendale az 85301

---

From: "ed sharpe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 17 11:50:24 2003

address:

 coury house / smecc
5802 w palmaire ave
glendale az 85301

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 17 13:39:54 2003

Hi Ed,

  I posted a picture at <http://home.cfl.rr.com/rigdon14/t-bird/hp-ic.jpg>.
I unplugged the two ICs in the top RH corner and turned them over so that
you can see the bottom and side of the ICs and the heat sink that the IC
normally sits on. There is a depression in the bottom of the IC case and a
rasied pad on the heatsink that fits into the depression. I've never seen
anything like this before! Note the delay line (?) on the LH side of the
card. Sorry I couldn't get a better picture. This is as close as I could
get with my camera.

   Joe

---

From: Bob Shannon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 17 14:00:27 2003

ECL ram chips from the insides of a arbitrary waveform generator?

Am I close?

Joe wrote:

>>>have a gold bottom plate then a layer of white ceramic with what appears
>>>
>>to
>>
>>>sockets instead there is a gold leaf terminal for each leg. I've never
>>>
>>seen
>>