Subject: New finds this week

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:30:24 2003

I found some new toys out at Purdue Surplus this week...

2xIBM RS/6000 model 220 -- POWER single chip 33MHz

2xIBM RS/6000 model 250 -- PowerPC 601, 66MHz

The one I opened had both memory and a hard disk, and all but one of them
still had their keys.

These things are nice pizza-box sized things, I'm tempted to try and use
them as X-Terminals, since they do have framebuffers.  Has anyone tried
this before?

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:30:58 2003

It depends on the framebuffers.  I believe these machines came standard
with GT1-series framebuffers, and support has been removed in AIX >= 4.
If you replace the framebuffer, the 220 should make a really nice
Xterminal.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: Thilo Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:31:49 2003

> them as X-Terminals, since they do have framebuffers.  Has anyone tried
If you have at least 64MB-RAM, a GXT150 Framebuffer and a fast HD
the 250 makes not only a good X-Terminal but a very useful and *quiet*
workstation. I use mine for Mail, News, Latex, programming and other stuff
that doesn't need much horsepower. (don't use Java ;-) ) 
The 220 is somewhat slower but should still be fast enough if you stick with
AIX 4.2. 

bye

        Thilo