Subject: VAX 11/725 anyone?

From: David Betz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 27 20:41:49 2003

A guy I went to college with has a VAX 11/725 he's about to trash. Is 
anyone interested? I think it is located near DC. He says it won't boot 
but I don't know anything else. I can try to find out if anyone is 
interested.

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 27 20:42:07 2003

> but I don't know anything else. I can try to find out if anyone is 

Wow!  Unless I'm mistaken /725's are a bit rare, and someone should rescue
this one!

			Zane

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 27 20:43:54 2003

--- "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Wow!  Unless I'm mistaken /725's are a bit rare, and someone should
> rescue this one!

They are somewhat rare - I've seen three in my life, one was mine that
vanished when the business it was at was abruptly sold (it was out
on loan)  :-(

Other than the size, it's nothing remarkable - an 11/730 CPU in a
box slightly bigger than a BA123.  The RC25 has been hashed to death
here, but for its day, for 52MB of storage on a VAX, it was somewhat
compact.

It's a .6 VUPS machine that may or may not be able to take the full
5MB that the 11/730-Z backplane should (power and heat and what not).
I have seen one boot VMS 5.0, but there wasn't any elbow room.

I'm somewhat interested, but only because I don't have a Unibus VAX
up and running right now (I never got that DWBUA from Gunther to pass
self-tests in my 8200 - not sure if it's my UET board, the cables,
or the DWBUA itself).

They are no slower than an 11/730, and quite a bit more portable.  It's
trivial to speed up the boot process to under 5 minutes, if you re-order
the files on the tape.

-ethan

P.S. - speaking of tape, if the console TU-58 has gooey rollers, that
*will* keep it from booting.  Unlike the 11/750, the 11/725 and the
11/730 *need* the console TU-58 to come up from a cold start.