Subject: RE: scanning booklets for archive

From: "Cini, Richard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 20:41:36 2003

If I need to do this, I make a copy of the book using a copier at work. Many
better copiers have a "book copy" mode where the spine is centered along the
center line of the scanning bed and the copier automatically copies both
pages. At the end, some page re-sorting has to be done, but that's it.

Then, I stack the pages on my 5200Csi with a document feeder attachment and
let Acrobat scan them.

-----Original Message-----
From: chris [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 11:47 AM
To: Classic Computer
Subject: scanning booklets for archive

I finally have a scanning system setup here for archiving documents.

Does anyone have a good idea of how to deal with booklets? That is, items 
that are printed on 8.5x11 paper, then folded over and stapled. RIght 
now, I have been opening the booklet to the center, removing the 
paperclip, then cutting the booklet in half down the spine, and scanning 
the first half as double sided then the 2nd half as double sided in order 
to keep the pages in order. (obviously I'm concerned with multipage 
booklets)

This is fine, for things that are headed to the trash after scanning, but 
for things I might want to hang on to, I don't really want to cut the 
booklet in half.

Is there any recommendations on how best to keep the pages in order? What 
do others do? Or does everyone either leave them in printed bound order 
for later reprinting (which means in the wrong order for reading in a 
PDF, booklet printed order for a 12 page booklet would be 1/12, 2/11, 
3/10 and so on) or do things the hard manual way by scanning to image, 
and cutting the image up into the right parts before going to PDF (right 
now I am doing things the lazy way and scanning directly into Acrobat so 
I'm never touching the raw image).

Suggestions?

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "Patrick Rigney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 20:47:23 2003

> pages. At the end, some page re-sorting has to be done, but that's it.

Yup, I do exactly the same.  The copiers at the local Kinko's have cool
settings for "erasing" margins, too, which you can set to prevent any
black/gray outer edges, and get rid of the staple marks, tattered corners,
or even punch holes in the binding.  I archive my new one-sided copies as
well as the originals from which they are made, so I can always go back and
rescan or whatever without further stress on the original document.  FYI, my
local Kinko's, and I'm sure most of their other locations and competitors,
have large-format copiers (C, D, and even E size sheets), which are great
for those big schematics.  --Patrick