Subject: Pet 2001, (6550 unobtainium!) ??

From: "B.Degnan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 21:56:47 2003

Hello - I read your text from...

http://www.classiccmp.org/pipermail/cctalk/2003-January/014761.html

I have a similar problem, the screen is full of characters, and I am trying 
to figure out what is the cause so that I can attempt to fix.  I am going 
to try the 2114s from bgmicro.com as you mentioned.  Any advice?

It's a shame if I can't fix this thing, it's in nice cosmetic shape.

Thanks in advance

Bill Degnan
Wilmington, DE

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jul 27 08:05:45 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of B.Degnan
> Sent: 24 July 2003 21:18
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Pet 2001, (6550 unobtainium!) ??
>
>

With my machines (except the TRS80 model 1 I've got) I've found that garbage
on the screen is nearly always bad video RAM, so yes replacing those 2 chips
is a good place to start. As you can see in the pix below my PET 2001 is
happy now.

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/Commodore/pet2001/pet2001.php

Of course your mileage may vary - there are other reasons for garbage but
they depend on whether the garbage is random or identical at every powerup.
If the garbage is identical you could have a bad RAM chip.

cheers

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum (New version!)
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans