Subject: Computer Pioneer Adam Osborne Dies

From: "Jon Titus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 27 12:41:02 2003

Online staff -- Electronic News, 3/25/2003

Portable computer pioneer Adam Osborne died Monday at age 64 after a long
illness, Reuters reported. 

The British immigrant and Berkeley, Calif., resident was famed for his
introduction of  the 23-pound luggable computer in 1981. The technology and
his gutsy attempt to challenge then PC kings Apple Computer and IBM made his
start-up, Osborne Computer Corp., the fastest-growing company up to that
time. 

But the success ended in bankruptcy two years later, making Osborne's trials
a forgotten example of the dangers of undisciplined growth that was recently
repeated by various dot-commers. 

Career challenges were not new to Osborne, however.  Originally a chemical
engineering with Shell Oil, he gambled on a career in technical writing and
publishing during the formative years of the PC industry. 

With an opportunity to go head-to-head with Apple in his sights, Osborne
turned to developing the first commercially viable portable computer and was
backed by Silicon Valley venture capitalist Jack Melchor. 

In Osborne Computer's first year, 1981, it had sold $5.8 million worth of
the Osborne-1. By the end of 1982, the company had sold $68.8 million. But
then Osborne boasted his second-generation product before it was ready to
ship, pushing sales of his first model down. As the tech industry's seen
happen many time since, an inventory build up occurred, forcing Osborne
Computer to close in 1983.

"His enthusiasm for the next big thing meant Adam couldn't keep a secret,"
Lee Felsenstein, co-founder of Osborne Computer, told Reuters. 

Compaq Computer Corp. snatched up the opportunity and introduced its first
product, a portable computer, in 1983. 

Osborne was buried today in a local cemetery near his sister's home, in
Kodiakanal, India, Reuters reported.

Jon Titus
Milford, MA 
[email-masked]

[demime 1.01a removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a name of winmail.dat]