Subject: Apple IIe card

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 23 09:51:31 2003

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up an Apple LC II with a IIe card in it.
Amazingly, this came with the original Apple multimedia package, including
speakers, a CD-ROM drive, the Apple II floppy drive, complete with Y cable,
and an external hard drive.   

Does anyone know if this IIe card is faster than the original IIe?  It
looks like a fun toy to play with.  :-)

On a related note (hopefully not too far OT), does anyone have a Mac
OS 8.5 system/install CD, that will work with a non-G3 PowerPC
(e.g. 7200/90), that they can clone for me?  I'm willing to send some
new blank CDs or a floppy copy of the software for the II/e board,
etc. in exchange.

One more question for the Apple gurus on this list: will a monitor
used with an LC work with a IIgs?

-- 
Copyright (C) 2002 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals: 
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature & 
[email-masked]  410-744-4900  her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org         beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.

---

From: Tarsi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 23 09:51:51 2003

> (e.g. 7200/90), that they can clone for me?  

Nope, but I have 7.5.3 readily available, which I use for my 7200/90 and it 
works great.  (currently trying to get Gentoo to dual-boot, too!)

IIe card.  Nice.  They're a lot of fun.

Tarsi
210

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 23 09:52:10 2003

I have an original OS 8.5 cd, do you have broadband internet?

---

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 24 12:24:20 2003

> works great.  (currently trying to get Gentoo to dual-boot, too!)

That's what I had installed, until I attempted an upgrade to 7.6.1.
My Centris has 7.6.1 on it, along with the FreePPP software that I was
using with it.  Hopefully what I did wrong will be a lesson for others
to help prevent others from making their systems unbootable. 

What I did was create an Appleshare connection between the Centris and
the PowerPC then: (1) rename the old system folder
(2) copy the 7.6.1 folder with FreePPP to the PowerPC, (3) "bless" the
new system folder by removing finder from the old system folder.

When I booted, everything appeared to be ok, temporarily, until the
little window with a bomb symbol in it in appeared when trying to get
appleshare working.  Upon activating more of the extensions, that
problem was solved, but, after enabling more of the extensions, there
was what appeared to be a memory problem which I didn't have before.
The system kept hanging as the extensions loaded after booting; this,
I understood, was indicative of a problem with the desktop, which I
attempted rebuilding (after first booting with no extensions and turning
all of the extensions off).

Since I didn't have the software necessary to unhide and delete the
finder preferences file, I ignored that step.

Everything appeared to be working ok, until I shut the machine down
and turned it back on at a later time.  The problem of the machine
hanging appeared again as the extensions were loading.  After playing
around with the extensions, turning some more of them off again, now
the machine refuses to boot at all, just the little mac with a "?"
appears on the screen.

> IIe card.  Nice.  They're a lot of fun.

It was a pleasantly surprising find. :-)

---

From: "Dr. Ido" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 24 12:31:48 2003

>looks like a fun toy to play with.  :-)

From memory it has a fast mode that can be selected from the IIe control
panel, how much faster I don't remember. 

>new blank CDs or a floppy copy of the software for the II/e board,

I could use a copy myself, trying to get a stable system using system files
found on various hard drives is no fun. 
Can anyone make it available for download?  Preferably a .BIN image I can
burn on a PC or a self mounting image for the Mac (I don't have a CDR on
any of my macs).

>used with an LC work with a IIgs?

No.  Both are analog RGB, but the IIgs outputs 15Khz H.sync, the LC 35Khz
H.sync (in 640x480).  If you want one monitor that will work on both look
for something like an NEC Multisync 1 or 2.  If you just need a monitor for
the IIgs look for a Commodore 1084 or similar.