Subject: Re: ClassicCmp Auction Site?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun Apr 27 16:40:55 2003

From: Marvin Johnston <[email-masked]>

<< Things I would like to see in a ClassicCmp auction site:

links/descriptions of equipment that could be incorporated in listings
a mechanism to allow trades of equipment
a way of qualifying buyers and sellers before they list/bid/trade. >>

This last one is very interesting. In what way(s) would you qualify anyone to 
participate in the auctions? A ClassicCmp auction and/or trade site would be 
a great idea, but I'd bet that anyone who still wanted the most money for 
their item, would still list it on eBay for the most exposure and money 
potential. This can't really be escaped. There will be the ongoing problem of 
people just posting eBay auctions to the auction/trades site too.

Best, David

David Greelish
Classic Computing
www.classiccomputing.com
"classiccomputing" on eBay

---

From: Marvin Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:55:35 2003

[email-masked] wrote:
> << a way of qualifying buyers and sellers before they list/bid/trade.
> 

To me, one of the best ways of qualifying people is with references from
people already involved. I think the feedback system is good, and mostly
takes care of the problem. On a small scale, a review committee or peer
presure is probably sufficient to keep things above board. On a larger
scale, perhaps besides a feedback rating, a "recommended by" rating
might prove useful.

Anyone who wants to get the mostest out of their stuff will list at
whatever venue will accomplish that. Right now, for Classic computer
stuff it probably is ebay; that may change in the future.

At least from my standpoing, who cares where stuff gets listed. The
problem is getting the listings found :).

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:57:16 2003

> stuff it probably is ebay; that may change in the future.

I agree here, but an auction site that also records and adds comments from
shoppers and responses from sellers during the sale would provide a better
benefit to the communities buyers, as one suggested change to ebay's style
format.

Ebay pretty much covers sales.   I'm waiting for sites that encourage
inventory, trading, lending, restoration, and package delivery (ala packet
switching) through a store and forward network of associated people...

;)
- Mike: [email-masked]

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:57:55 2003

On Sunday, April 27, 2003, [email-masked] wrote:
> I'd bet that anyone who still wanted the most money for their item, would
> still list it on eBay for the most exposure and money potential. This
> can't really be escaped.

I agree.  Making the seller the most money wouldn't be the purpose of a CC
auction site.

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:58:15 2003

On Sunday, April 27, 2003, Mike wrote:
> an auction site that also records and adds comments from shoppers and
> responses from sellers during the sale would provide a better benefit to
> the communities buyers, as one suggested change to ebay's style format.

Comments on items would be a must.  I've always wanted eBay to implement
something like that, so that knowledgable people could add comments about
items to better inform bidders.

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp