Subject: Re: Equipment Lifting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon Mar 17 12:11:05 2003

In a message dated 3/17/2003 1:30:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

<< 
 I'm trying to locate the manufacturer or source for a
 device used to lift equipment into racks. This is a
 manually operated device (or electric?) used to lift
 disk drives, servers, etc. and place them in racks.
 They should be portable as I've seen HP CE's use them. >>

www.globalindustrial.com

---

From: lee courtney <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 12:13:52 2003

Bulls-eye! Exactly what I was looking for - thanks
Dave.

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 12:14:22 2003

My mil spec packager once suggested a lifting device called a "duct lift"
I'd never previously seen a picture of one, so I don't know if it's suitable
to your requirements.

There's a picture of one here ...

http://library.wustl.edu/renovation/photos/02jun05_98w.jpg

Looks like it wouldn't be too hard to transport.

Seems they come in 650 to 750 lb. lifting capacities.

I saw an equipment seller's auction price on one at $250 but it was an old 
web page

Here was a variety of one on eBay ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2514200197&category=25278

---

From: John Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 12:15:48 2003

>  They should be portable as I've seen HP CE's use them. >>

  Hot Damn!   I looked (mostly) all over for these; never thought to check
the company Dave's provided.  I actually bought most of the parts to
modify a regular handtruck to do this, but haven't got a Round Tuit on
that project yet.

  A bit pricey, the cheapest lift starts at $400, but if you've ever put a
Kennedy 9100 four feet up in a rack (on it's slides) by yourself...  these
might be a good value.

  The category they're in is a bit counter-intuitive: look for them in
"Carts / Casters / Trucks - Lift Trucks - Lift Truck Winch".  Of course if
you have lots of bux you can get a hydraulic one, but....

  Cheers

John

---

From: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 14:36:04 2003

If you go to http://www.harborfreight.com and search
"hydraulic" you will begin to see some neat things.
I get the catalog and there are several tools of relevance
here.  Floor jacks, Engine lifts, scissor jacks (useful when
you want to start your lift from down on the floor instead
of something like 30"), etc.  What I reccomend you do is
order a catalog and do a visual browse.  It's fun to do and
cheap (free).  They are the first place I'd go when I'm ready
to tackle (and block) this problem.

One quick example:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41109
Table lift: 13-5/8''H to 50-1/4''H 
Maximum load capacity: 770 lbs

John A.
no affiliation with seller

---

From: John Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 17:22:28 2003

> "hydraulic" you will begin to see some neat things.

 [snippage]

> Table lift: 13-5/8''H to 50-1/4''H
              ^^^^^^^

  I preface my comments with the fact that I have a bunch of Harbor
Frieght stuff here, and it's one of the stops on my usually-monthly Trip
to the Big City (Reno, NV) for Serious Shopping.

  But to get heavy things safely into a rack (or racks), the table lifts
HF have didn't thrill me because they are already 14" off the floor, and
are hard to maneuver up to a rack with Stuff in it...  the handtruck-like
winch lift from the other company is what I have been looking for, and
actually I bought a little cable winch and a handtruck from Harbor, with
the idea of making an 'equipment racking lift' that would actually fit up
to a standing rack and allow the device to be inserted into it in a
controlled manner.  The hydraulic table lifts are a bit too clumsy for
this, I think. (YMMV)  They *are* cheap, though....

 Cheers

John