Subject: maybe OT: Performa 6200CD needs network help

From: Marion Bates <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 21:38:33 2003

Hi folks,

I've got a friend with a Macintosh Performa 6200CD, and we can't get 
the network card to function. We've upgraded to OS 9.1 (though we may 
back it down to 8.5/8.6, it's really really slow now) and when that 
didn't work, I tried installing a driver package from Farallon (for 
Ethernet Comm Slot LC? I know this isn't an LC but it was the only 
thing I could find that was even close to sounding like the right 
thing). The end result of that was, in the TCP/IP control panel, there 
are options for "Ethernet slot 1" and "Alternate Ethernet" but neither 
one accepts an IP address (when we select DHCP, on a known-good DHCP 
network, it thinks for a few seconds and then says "no valid network 
address available" or something, and AppleTalk refuses to switch to 
that interface, and a manually-assigned, known-valid IP also fails). 
When I hit the Info button in that same control panel, it says Hardware 
Address Not Available. That seems bad. If it recognizes the card at 
all, it ought to see the "hardware" (MAC) address in any situation, 
right?

There is a green LED lit up on the card itself, and the LED on the hub 
lights up too...we tried re-seating the card, no change...tried 
reinstalling OS 9.1...tried disabling the "Apple Built-in Ethernet" 
extension...no dice.

Anyone have any ideas? I wrote down some cryptic info off the card 
itself, nothing obvious to me about the manufacturer or model 
("SONIC-T"..."BD-059 Rev A"...?)

Thanks in advance,

-- MB

---

From: Robert Borsuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 25 21:49:51 2003

Where is the card plugged into?  Com slot or PDS slot?

Rob

On Friday, April 25, 2003, at 10:35 PM, Marion Bates wrote:

>  I tried installing a driver package from Farallon (for Ethernet Comm 
> Slot LC? I know this isn't an LC but it was the only thing I could 
> find that was even close to sounding like the right thing). The end 
> result of that was, in the
Robert Borsuk - [email-masked]
President
Colourfull Creations
http://www.colourfull.com