Subject: Re: Piracy was Re: HH drives

From: "SYSTEM MANAGER [VAX]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 13:20:17 2003

I agree wholeheartedly.  If I'd not bought a set of original tapes for
my Data General mini, I'd have a lump of recycleable metal instead of a
functioning, neato computer.

Now, I bought the tapes fair and sqare, but from a licensing standpoint
they should have been either returned to DG or destroyed.  They were
really hard to find as a large percentage of DG customers complied with
the license.  The US Forest Service for instance destroyed all of thier
media, documentation, etcetera.  They also blanked the drives on the
machines they sold to scrappers.

So far as I know, I'm the only private person on the planet with a full
install set for AOS/VS II v3.0 and TCP/IP. Those three tapes are golden.
I also have several versions of thier ades/adex diagnostic software
which contains microcode for ALL data general MV (Eagle) machines.

These tapes are all completely illegal for me to own.  Until a couple of
years ago the OS and tcpip were available from DG, but they wanted
$1300.00 for them.  I told DG where to stick it and instead dropped
$300.00 on a 9track, controller, and the golden tapes.

I doubt any court in the world would convict me for this. Especially in
light of DG's aquisition by EMC about a year after I got the machine up
and running.

I was totally floored that Digital had thier hobbyist license for VMS
and layered products.  I signed up right away!  Data General might still
be making computers if they weren't such tightasses.

Regards,

Jeff

Lawrence Walker wrote:
> 
>  Yup, version 5 and it won't do MFM and RLL HDs. Can
> any justification be made for any restrictions on the
> dissemnation of old software such as this which in no way
> cuts into the sales of his newest product ?
>  This is an on-going debate among classic computer
> collectors and some formalistic posture as to the useage
> of outmoded software is ludicrous. Most of the old
> hardware we attempt to get up and running would be
> consigned to landfills if we religeously held to that
> position. This is not about stealing the bread from some
> hardworking programmers table but should be about his
> responsibility to the community that enabled him to
> continue his type of work. If it's no longer a viable product
> and is not supported, all deals are off. This would not
> justify someone coming along and marketing his product.
> That's a different ball of wax.
> 
>  I just checked my version of Spinrite 1.2a. Under
> liscensing it says:
> 
>   o Consultant License --
>      Consultants who wish to repair and revitalize systems
> belonging to others may do so by executing our
> CONSULTING USE LICENSING AGREEMENT
> and paying a $10 fee each time SpinRite is used on
> another system.
>      SpinRite must not, of course, be installed onto those
> drives.
> 
>  I hope those taking this position have religeously
> submitted the $10 whenever they've used it on someone
> elses machine.
> 
> Lawrence

---

From: "Bruce Ray" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 13:20:28 2003

G'day Jeff -

Be aware that TLC Corporation in Uxbridge MA has the distribution rights
to -all- of the DG 32-bit MV software and still actively charges for use of
all DG (now EMC) software products and TLC must still pay royalties to EMC.
I am trying to work on a hobbyist along with more attractive "commercial
use" license arrangement for the 32-bit (and 16-bit) software, but all of it
is still covered by license requirements from TLC to EMC.

Bruce