Subject: 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64

From: "Lance S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:38:48 2003

I am looking for an 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64. Second 
hand is fine. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated.

Lance.

_________________________________________________________________
Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to  
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=174&referral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/default.asp

---

From: "Chandra Bajpai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:13 2003

Lance....Does this look like 8050 that hooks up to a Commodore PET?
-Chandra

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Lance S
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 11:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64

I am looking for an 8250 LP Double disk drive for the commodore 64.
Second 
hand is fine. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly
appreciated.

Lance.

_________________________________________________________________
Hot chart ringtones and polyphonics. Go to  
http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=174&re
ferral=Hotmail_taglines_plain&URL=http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/defa
ult.asp

---

From: "Gary Dean Hildebrand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:25 2003

> hand is fine. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. 

Why do you want that drive?  It is designed for the PET series, and has the 
full blown IEEE-488 interface, which the C=64 lacks.  So you'd need the 
adapter on the 64 as well, and I bet they are harder to find than WMD in 
Iraq.. 

I'd just get a couple of 1541's and daisy chain them together on the port, 
along with the printer or printer adapter.  If you're wanting double sided 
disks, then go with a 128 and 1571 drives, and then you can play cp/m as 
well. 

Gary Hildebrand
St. Joseph, MO

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:34 2003

--- Gary Dean Hildebrand <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Why do you want that drive?

Maybe he has some 8250 disks to read?  Perhaps some (custom?) software that
needs a disk larger than a 1541 to work?

> It is designed for the PET series, and has
> the full blown IEEE-488 interface, which the C=64 lacks.

He didn't say, but he could have one already.  I have one for the C-64 and
one for the VIC-20.

> So you'd need the adapter on the 64 as well, and I bet they are harder to
> find than WMD in Iraq.. 

It's possible to build your own with a VLSI I/O chip (6520/6522/6526)
and a couple of buffers.  That plus a ROM is what's on my VIC-20 IEEE
adapter.  IIRC, the drivers are a 75160/75161 pair, but there are a
couple of options.

AFAIK, there is firmware for _some_ IEEE adapter on funet.  Not sure
which one without looking.
 
> I'd just get a couple of 1541's and daisy chain them together on the
> port, along with the printer or printer adapter.  If you're wanting
> double sided disks, then go with a 128 and 1571 drives, and then you can
> play cp/m as well. 

If he wants to move up to a 128, that would work.  Personally, I _have_
a 128, and I'm more likely to fire up a C-64 that it, largely due to
experience and personal comfort.

-ethan