Subject: Amiga Term Softs needed

From: "Marlin Bates, IV" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 4 12:46:41 2003

Hello,

I am currently resurrecting an Amiga 2000, but I have neither an 
Ethernet card or Terminal software.  There are tons of programs on the 
net, but getting them from the net to the Amiga is proving difficult.  
If anyone can help me in this chicken/egg scenario, I would REALLY 
appreciate it.

Thanks

-Marlin

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 06:00:42 2003

http://www.cloanto.com/amiga/forever/

get that software.

Amiga explorer will send data between any windows pc to the amiga using a
common null modem cable. You just drag an ADF image file on your windows
screen to the desired amiga floppy drive icon and it transfers the image to
disk. Can use serial or networks for transfers. Its easy to setup.
http://www.cloanto.com/amiga/explorer/

---

From: Jeff Brendle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 06:00:51 2003

Marlin: Since you are a P$Uer, I think there used to be an Amiga user 
group on campus, you might want to check to see if that still exists as 
a mailing list or some such thing here, who knows, there might still be 
people that putz around with the old beasties? Will try to recall who 
it was of my old coworkers at CAC who was the Amiga guy... thinking 
that it was Doug Bischoff, and if I remember correctly he is still 
e-reachable at his role-playing site, xanodria (sp?), will have to 
think more on this & get back to you.
-j

> If anyone can help me in this chicken/egg scenario, I would REALLY 

Jeff Brendle                 Office: 248A Deike Bldg./(814)865-3257/fax 
863-7708
Desktop Support Spv.       Home:   #210 Parkgate 349 Toftrees Ave.
Penn State - Coll. of E&MS            State College, PA / (814)861-8180
Mailto:[email-masked]                AOL/MSN/Yahoo! IM - JSBrendle

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 06:01:02 2003

> If anyone can help me in this chicken/egg scenario, I would REALLY 

If you have AmigaDOS 2.0  or newer, it should come with a handler to
mount DOS floppies.  You will be limited to 720K format, but that's
enough to get a variety of Amiga stuff in there including some 
entry-level term programs.  You'll probably need an unarchiver, too,
like Lha.

If you are looking for Ethernet, I still have some GG2 Bus+ boards
that will let you use an NE-2000 card, but you'll have to get the
TCP/IP stack onto your machine somehow ("Miami" is a great choice).
I have driver disks and cards New-in-Bag on the shelf right now.

What version of the OS do you have?  Hard disk?  One floppy?  Two?
If you have 1.3, it should still come with BASIC; worst case, you
could write something to pass UUEncoded files over and convert them.

-ethan

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 06:01:10 2003

> http://www.cloanto.com/amiga/forever/

Even if you don't want to set up real hardware, I can recommend
it to play old Amiga games.  I have an old copy I bought on CD-ROM
years ago, and I've recently been walking through "Black Crypt" again.

> common null modem cable.

I am completely baffled as to how they do it.  Here's a quote from
the Cloanto FAQ:

  If you are going to use Amiga Explorer over a null-modem serial cable,
  right-click on the Amiga Computer icon on the Desktop, select Setup,
  and follow the instructions to have the files automatically copied over
  the serial cable. No terminal or other additional software is required
  by this process. Even an old 1.2 or 1.3 Workbench floppy disk can be
  used to boot the Amiga. 

*How* do you force-feed software down a serial line without any software
to receive it?  Elsewhere on the webpage, they mention not needing a
term program or a hex editor or even BASIC.

There's plenty of ways to do it when you have a receptive program on
the other end of the wire.

The only thing I can think of is that they are giving the user
instructions on how to expose the Workbench Debug menu and putting
the Amiga in ROM-Wack first (the ROM debugger in older versions of
Kickstart).  If you do _that_, then it's just a matter of text
formatting - it would probably take a few minutes to write a Perl
script to feed it.  There might still be a trick or two, like building
a process header in unallocated RAM and inserting it into the scheduler
tables or some equally cretinous hack.  I've used ROM-Wack, but never
for much more than post-mortem process dissection.

-ethan

 You just drag an ADF image file on your windows

---

From: "Deano Calver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 06:01:23 2003

You simple copy data from the serial port to a file using CLI then change
the exec flags on the file. I managed to do it without even a workbench disk
(I had a magazine demo disk that l managed to interupt the boot sequence to
get access to the CLI :-)

Effectively its the same as the 'text editor' built into DOS (copy con
FileName), You could do the same under DOS with the serial port.

The file sent over the serial line consists of a mini-terminal program that
then recieves the real data.

Bye,
    Deano

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 5 06:01:27 2003

Well as long as you have a workbench disk to boot from on the amiga its
pretty easy to use. The windows side sends data that the comm port accepts,
you then have to copy this data to a file on the amiga side. Then you run
the small app on the amiga side allowing 2 way communciation, after that
point you dont need to be at the amiga while you transfer your images direct
to an empy 720K disk (doesnt need to be formatted). The only problem is that
19,200 baud is the fastest you can use between the 2 computers (at least
thats the fastest speed they both support on a windows box) and it takes a
few minutes for each disk image.

Its supposed to work with tcp/ip also but I havnt got around to getting my
PCMCIA card setup on my amiga 1200 yet.

---

From: "ghldbrd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:12:00 2003

Marlin Bates, IV writes: 

> Hello, 
> 
> I am currently resurrecting an Amiga 2000, but I have neither an Ethernet 
> card or Terminal software.  There are tons of programs on the net, but 
> getting them from the net to the Amiga is proving difficult.  If anyone 
> can help me in this chicken/egg scenario, I would REALLY appreciate it. 
> 
> Thanks 
> 
> -Marlin

Just so happens I have a few (actually a whole lot) of A2065 Ethernet cards 
on hand.  You will need TCP/IP of some sort, such as AS225, Miami, or other 
variation.   Drop me a line off list and we'll see what we can do for you.  
And I have extra A2091 SCSI cards and small Quantum drives (105-240 meg) 

I'd reccomend that you update your Kickstart ROM to 3.1 as well. Just about 
anything that's good to have needs it. An accelerator card wouldn't hurt 
either.  I'm used to an 030 @ 25 mHz; going to a stock 68000 @ 7 mHz after 
that is blindingly SLOW.  And you need the aformentioned to run the latest 
Workbench/AmigaDOS 3.9 anyways. 

You will also need DOS-2-DOS software, which allows the Amiga floppy to 
read/write MS-DOS formatted 720k disks.  This is standard with all Amiga o/s 
after 2.x  Now if you have a CD-ROM attached to the Amiga, you can easily 
read files burned on a CD-R. 

Most everything is available on Aminet.org. 

Gary Hildebrand
ST. Joseph, MO

---

From: "John Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:14:01 2003

i have a copy of AVCterm if you need it.

+------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| John P. Willis, MCP, SBI, NASA-STD-8739.5      | Coherent Logic Development     |
| Chief Executive Officer                        |  "Multiplatform Solutions      |
| Coherent Logic Development                     |    for a Multiplatform World"  |
+------------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+
| web: http://www.coherent-logic.com/                                             |
| e-mail: [email-masked]                                                  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

---

From: "ghldbrd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:17:47 2003

> i have a copy of AVCterm if you need it. 
Never heard of it.  Is it another TCP/IP stack or is it like Envoy? 

Gary Hildebrand
St. Joseph, MO

---

From: Nicola Baldini <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:18:02 2003

>> And I have extra A2091 SCSI cards and small Quantum drives (105-240 

Anyone knows where i can find an Ethernet card form my 3000? An A2065 
would be great, here in Italy they are very rare.

Regards.
						Nicola

---

From: "John Willis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:18:57 2003

Actually it's terminal emulation software--like minicom or ProComm or HyperTerminal
It may be capable of X/Y/Zmodem or Kermit file transfers, so you could theoretically
use it to transfer files via null modem cable.

John

---

From: Doc Shipley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:19:24 2003

> use it to transfer files via null modem cable.

  Hrrm.  I have a couple of different versions of AmigaTerm here.  I'll
have to get an Amiga up and running to dupe it, but will be doing that
in the next few days anyway.  I can generate a backup image if need be.
  I picked up the carload of Amiga gear Thursday that was posted to the
list by James Rice.  We just got home from our vacation, and I haven't
had a chance to catalogue the haul, but I can already say for sure:

  "DAY-yum!!  Thanks, James!"

  The whole thing was unexpected, and came at a time when I'm already
over-committed, so I won't get to do much at all with it for a couple of
weeks.  When I do, I'll probably be offering some software and possible
some hardware & docs to the list.

	Doc