Subject: Boot original Mac from an external floppy?

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 7 20:39:52 2003

Is it possible to boot the original Macintosh, or perhaps the Mac 512K or
Mac Plus, from the external floppy drive?

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 7 20:53:25 2003

>Cool.  So can I assume that if there is no disk in the internal drive, but
>an external drive with bootable disk is attached, the Mac will find that
>and boot from there?

Correct.

IIRC, the boot order is internal floppy, external floppy, internal SCSI, 
external SCSI. 

It *might* go internal floppy, internal SCSI, THEN external floppy, 
external SCSI. I know there are key combos you can hold down to get it to 
skip the internal SCSI which is why I'm thinking that might come before 
external floppys. It has been a LONG time since I have had to deal with 
external floppies (my only normal use external drive was a 400k drive, so 
the last time I seriously used one and would have had to boot from it was 
probably 1988 or so)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>