Subject: Re: JetDirect EX print server

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 11:19:27 2003

>I don't have the manual, but I thought you had to hold the
>TEST button down for ten seconds while powering up the
>device.

I've tried a number of different lengths of time in holding the test 
button. Its possible that it is in fact resetting, but I see no visual 
indication of it, so I can't tell.

If it is resetting, it still isn't taking a BootP assigned IP, and is 
erroring out when I connect it to the network. If it was one unit, I 
would assume its broken... but two units doing the exact same thing, I 
think I am doing something wrong, and I hope a manual may tell me what 
that is.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: Martin Marshall <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 11:19:46 2003

> think I am doing something wrong, and I hope a manual may tell me what 

The generic manual included with a J2591A states that to reset the print 
server, hold down the test button while connecting the power cord.

To print a configuration page,  connect a printer and press the test 
button.  Telnet to the IP on the config page and setup the print server.

Martin

---

From: Paul Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 11:20:14 2003

> think I am doing something wrong, and I hope a manual may tell me what 

I recently received one of them from a friend and actually got it to
work using MS NetBEUI, but could not get it to work well with IP.  I
eventually gave up on it since my Linux box does not talk NetBEUI and
gave it back to my friend.

You are using a bootp server or a DHCP server set to support bootp?

Does the status page show that it's receiving an IP address?

Paul

---

From: "Peter C. Wallace" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 11:20:43 2003

> Does the status page show that it's receiving an IP address?

I've got one and it works OK with IP. I think the trick was to _not_ use the
built in LPR spooler which was too buggy to be of use and just use direct
access (port 9100 AFAICR)...

Peter Wallace

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 11:21:09 2003

> gave it back to my friend.
It then has the old firmware, which does not support IP. Install
the HP JetAdmin stuff, download the firmware update package, and
blast that into the JetDirect (using NetBEUI or HP Raw protocols),
and you'll have one that DOES talk IP.

--fred