Subject: I thought the Univac was expensive

From: "Kane, David (DPRS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:38:41 2003

I had to laugh at the seller's comment "...Must Sell. Low Reserve."

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033449003&categor
y=294

David

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:01 2003

>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033449003&categor

Agreed, but at least it would take up less space than that Univac :^)

		Zane

-- 
--
| Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| [email-masked] (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
|     Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing,    |
|          PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum.         |
|                http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/               |

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:16 2003

> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033449003&category=294

Well, to me this looks more like the usual EBay problem with ',' and '.'

Remember, in Europe, the floating point is a comma. So I assume that
guy was just entering 10,00 Dollar, which got converted to 10,000.00
I had this already twice happening and instead of entering 4 Euro 50,
(4,50) I suddenly had 4500 Euros as bid. This part of ebay is quite
faulty.

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 5.0 am 01./02. Mai 2004 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/

---

From: Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:19 2003

>(4,50) I suddenly had 4500 Euros as bid. This part of ebay is quite

Prolly not in this case, Hans. Notice lower on the page, the guy wants $330 
USD just for the *postal insurance* - who'd pay that for a $10 USD computer?

Who's got an extra 10+ kilobucks to start bidding on it to find the 
reserve??? :-P ;-)

Prost,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
[email-masked]

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:22 2003

> Who's got an extra 10+ kilobucks to start bidding on it to find the 
reserve???

It doesn't have a reserve on it.

At 11:18 AM 7/2/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Prolly not in this case, Hans. Notice lower on the page, the guy wants 
>$330 USD just for the *postal insurance* - who'd pay that for a $10 USD 
>computer?
>

---

From: Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:31 2003

>It doesn't have a reserve on it.

Ah, then the listing lied in another way: "... good condition. Must Sell, 
Low Reserve." as was also mentioned previously in the thread...

Must be the only one in existance... :-/  (sure it is...)

Laterz,

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:37 2003

> Who's got an extra 10+ kilobucks to start bidding on it to find the 

Maybe in my other pants.  :-(

Seriously, though, has anyone ever heard of this machine before?  (I
haven't)  Besides it coming from a different continent, is there anything
remarkable about it?

-ethan

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:40 2003

Here's something I stumbled upon the other day.

With the new page layout's eBay seems to have already launched on international
sites, but as of yet, not for us based auctions, and since I don't easily 
read all the
languages used, I found some international auctions difficult to read. I 
could look up
the words, since I have German, Italian, and French dictionaries within 
reaching
distance here, but that would take up critical time. When I'm looking at an 
auction
listing in the old layout that I have become familiar with, I know what 
some of the
details are about just because of where they are on the page.

Here's an example with that one that was in German

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2737483185&category=1247
                        ^^^^

when I edited the .de to .com as below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2737483185&category=1247
                         ^^^^^

It showed up in English, and in the page layout I am familiar with.

Definitely helped in understanding what I was looking at.

Also, brings the time back to US Pacific Time Zone to help simplify not
having to deal with converting time between even more time zones.

Here's an Amstrad that is in Spain

http://cgi.es.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2739499467
               ^^^^

edited to

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2739499467

Again, helped in understanding.

This also works in the reverse direction, to convert us based listings to
the format, language, and time zone more easily understandable for
others not in the US, though I realize that just about everyone that reads
this list is very fluent in english, they may have some acquaintances
that might not.

This one below was understandable because it was in english, but still the 
familiar
page layout could help keep from misinterpreting what I was looking at. 
Sometimes
we just give these things a quick glance, and don't fully read all the details.

                                ^^^^

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033449003&category=294

Once the new page layout is being used on US based listings, and I become 
familiar
with that, then won't need this change, except for the benefits of keeping 
things in the
time zone I am familiar with working in.

Best Regards

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:46 2003

> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3033449003&category=294

You are either using a proportional font, or you are using TABS, which are
being translated into a different number of spaces by my machine than
yours.

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:56 2003

> haven't)  Besides it coming from a different continent, is there anything

It's the first in a series of some remarkable Home/Small
Business Computers from Sweden. The 800 for example was
a great baby, includeing hard drives and high res graphic.

Rather rare in middle/southern Europe, but supposed to be
common in the north.

Gruss
H.

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:40:06 2003

Hello Fred,

 > You are either using a proportional font, or

Yes, it's proportional fonts. It's necessary on this machine for the 
requirements
of it's main applications.

Best Regards

---

From: Andreas Freiherr <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 15:40:25 2003

> Well, to me this looks more like the usual EBay problem with ',' and '.'

Seller's location is listed as "Tokyo", so we can safely assume he's 
familiar with the comma as the thousands separator. (Is there no 
Japanese section of eBay, BTW?)

I seem to remember having heard about the machine, there were many 
different 8-bitters of this kind at this time. The Exidy Sorcerer, for 
example, might be about the same time frame, maybe slightly later. 
Commodore PET is probably better known and also belongs to the late 70s. 
If you struggle to collect each and every kind, you may need a Luxor 
ABC80 too, but certainly not for that price!

--
Andreas Freiherr
Vishay Semiconductor GmbH, Heilbronn, Germany
http://www.vishay.com

---

From: Geoff Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 15:40:28 2003

seesm suspicious to me that someone from Japan is posting to the australian 
Ebay? ?!?!?!?

At 11:19 AM 7/3/03 +0200, you wrote:
>familiar with the comma as the thousands separator. (Is there no Japanese 
>section of eBay, BTW?)
>
>If you struggle to collect each and every kind, you may need a Luxor ABC80 
>too, but certainly not for that price!
>
>--
>Andreas Freiherr

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 15:40:35 2003

Why? geographically japan and australia are pretty close.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Geoff Reed" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 5:41 AM
Subject: Re: I thought the Univac was expensive

> >If you struggle to collect each and every kind, you may need a Luxor
ABC80