Subject: Re: scanning booklets for archive

From: David Woyciesjes <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 20:42:42 2003

>Why cut them in half? When I needed to copy some booklets like this, I
>pulled out the staples, then took each sheet and folded it back in half.
>I then scanned/copied each side of that, folded it back the other way and
>scanned/copied the 2 sides of it in that configuration (this got copies
>of all 4 booklet-pages that made up a single sheet). After I'd done all
>the pages, I put them back in the right order and put the (original)
>staples back in.
> 

	What about just scanning the tow pages at once, then cut&paste the page
in half once you get it into the computer?

--
---   Dave Woyciesjes
---   ICQ# 905818

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Wed Jul 23 21:41:54 2003

> more time consuming then my current method. By cutting them in half I can 
> load them into the sheet feeder and do the entire first half of the book 

Ah, the copier I was using didn't have a sheet feeder, and for some 
reason I assumed your scanner didn't either...

> things I want to not destroy. But not worth it for things that are being 
> thrown out right after scanning.

It worries me (a lot) that you'd throw anything out after scanning it, 
considering that that paper version is easier to read and will last a 
lot longer than any scanned version...

-tony

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 22:23:13 2003

>the pages, I put them back in the right order and put the (original) 

This is a valid approach for things that are important... but it is FAR 
more time consuming then my current method. By cutting them in half I can 
load them into the sheet feeder and do the entire first half of the book 
(I tell Acrobat I'm scanning dual sided pages, it scans all the first 
sides, then prompts me to put them back in and scan the back sides, then 
it puts them all in order for me... I repeat the process with the back 
half of the book, and when I am done, everything is in order and I've had 
very little user interaction with it).

So really, cutting them in half is just a huge time saver. If I do the 
folding method, I have to scan them all way out of order and worry about 
putting them all back into order. Certainly valid and worth the time for 
things I want to not destroy. But not worth it for things that are being 
thrown out right after scanning.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>