Subject: Re: scanning booklets for archive

From: Jules Richardson<[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 21:18:21 2003

> It worries me (a lot) that you'd throw anything out after scanning it,
> considering that that paper version is easier to read and will last a
> lot longer than any scanned version...

He can always print it out once it's been scanned... ;-)

<ducks>

J.

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

---

From: "Antonio Carlini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 21:50:12 2003

> He can always print it out once it's been scanned... ;-)

He could sell or give away the paper version once it's been
scanned (although slicing it to bits may make this harder and
not slicing it to bits means the scanning takes longer). I guess
selling it might be sufficient motive to take longer over the
scanning and not slice a manual.

Certainly for the stapled manuals, I always removed staples, 
scanned and restored the manual. This also worked for centre
stapled booklets, since I had acess to a sheet fed scanner
that could do 11x17. The postprocessing required to produce
a scan in the original form was minimal.

I did pull some things apart, but only if they had significantly
deteriorated already.

Antonio
 
-- 

---------------
Antonio Carlini             [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:08:37 2003

> He can always print it out once it's been scanned... ;-)

Yeah, but (a) he won't, and (b) many computer printing processes have a 
shorter life (of the printed document) than the processes used for books.

-tony

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:10:15 2003

If scanned in correctly the manuals would be more usefull up on a website
then rotting in 1 persons basement. Most manuals dont take up that much
space, but if you have 1000 of them then you have to have a good cataloging
method or you will never find the one your looking for. Most people dont
want the library of congress in their basement.

So are these pdf's on a website or ftp site I can get at them?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:11:54 2003

> shorter life (of the printed document) than the processes used for

If I were to pick up a digital offset press, would that do the job?

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: Bryan Pope <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:19:45 2003

> If I were to pick up a digital offset press, would that do the job?

Is it four-colour? :-D

Cheers,

Bryan Pope

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:28:04 2003

> > If I were to pick up a digital offset press, would that do the job?

It might even be seven-color.  I haven't really looked, but I think I'm
going to.

Peace...  Sridhar