Subject: 286 Computers

From: Roger Bisson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 18:51:31 2003

Dear List,

What is the concensus on disposal of 286 and 386sx
hardware -- should they be consigned to the bin, or
are there any folks out there collecting them? (or
needing spares?).

One is a Schneider 286 Tower PC (10Mhz), and the other
is a Philips P3345 (16Mhz).

Personally, I do not view either as being particularly
noteworth (other than, perhaps, for sentimental
reasons) .. but seems such a shame to turn them into
landfill :-)

Best regards,

Roger
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 21 00:52:01 2003

> is a Philips P3345 (16Mhz).

I sometimes hold on to some name brand models (i.e. Dell, Compaq) but only
if they are representative of a certain PC era or style, or were
interesting or unique in their own way (both technological and design
wise).

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 21 00:53:04 2003

Personally I wouldnt mind an old gateway 386 in the mini desktop case +
keyboard since I liked the design, and could use a 386 with ps2 type
connections.

Its not worth the shipping to bother with the generic packard bells and
other cheap brand 286's.
I dont think many of the 286 computers will ever be collectable. For some
reason they are just not popular, maybe because of memory/memory management
limitations.

The original IBM pc's are still collectable, same with the original compaq
and portable.