Subject: Emulex SC04 controller... what kind of disk does it talk to?

From: Corda Albert J DLVA <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 21:09:38 2003

Hey guys,

Just picked up an Emulex SC04 disk controller (ebay item).
I thoughtit was a Qbus SCSI (did a prelim. deja search, and
the one note I came across led me to believe this).
Apparently I was wrong... the part numberfor the controller
is SC0410201-LXB, and (I believe, but I couldbe wrong) this
maps to the .pdf on AEK's site:
http://www.spies.com/~aek/pdf/emulex/SC0451001-A_SC04C_Jan82.pdf

This manual provides a pinout and refers to the disk interface
as an ANSI X3T9/1226 interface.  This doesn't google to anything
useful, however I found an identical pinout list which refers
to an ANSI X3.101 interface. Again, I don't recognize this at all.
It's definitely not SCSI (if this is the correct manual) and
doesn't seem to be SMD... Perhaps I am just blind here...
anyone recognize this puppy?  

For reference, the ebay page w/picture is still available...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2743862622

-al-
[email-masked]

---

From: Al Kossow <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 21:11:17 2003

--

yup.. ANSI 8" interface

I was VERY happy someone outbid me on it when I discovered what
it was..

If someone has a paper copy of the X3.101 spec, i'd like to add
it to the archives on spies.

It appears to be based on the Shugart/Quantum 8" drive standard
but on a single 50 pin connector instead of a 50 and 26.

---

From: Corda Albert J DLVA <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 21:15:01 2003

Actually, if I had known you had a bid in on
it, I wouldn't have bid against you... Because
of my cr*ppy phone connection (no dsl/cable here)
I use an online bidding service, so when I find
an item, I just register it with the bidding service
and forget about it... they email me at the end of
the auction to let me know if I've won or lost...

But to get back on topic, I can then assume that this
was one of those flash-in-the-pan ANSI standards?  I've
been around quite a while, and I don't remember coming
across this one... (and I remember MASSBUS, IPI, SMD, MFM,
ESDI, and a handful of other abbreviation...)

Oh well, another board for the board-archive/stack...

-al-

-----Original Message-----
From: Al Kossow [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 2:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Emulex SC04 controller... what kind of disk does it talk
to?

--

yup.. ANSI 8" interface