Subject: Re: Apple Clone

From: peter tremewen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 21 16:53:56 2003

I have one of these Plastic cased Apples. One question I do have is what sort of keyboard they use. The keyboard conector on the mother board is wited directly to a nine pin serial socket on the back of the machine. Does it use the standard Apple II keyboard in a special case?? I seem to remember seeing info on how to wire an IBM keyboard to an apple some where. Can this be done for this machine??  Or am I mistaken. In spite of my small collection of Apple II parts I have never really taken much notice of these machines until recently when I have decided to do a "clean out" so advice on how to get this Apple in a more useable state would be apreciated......

                Peter T.

> Looking at the motherboard it looks like a generic Apple ][+ clone.  Clones
> based on the same motherboard were sold here (Australia) in XT style cases
> like the one you have, smaller plastic desktop cases (floppy drives side by
> side) and Apple ][ style cases with external drives.  I've had all three
> variants over time.  I've seens ads for a luggable version with an internal
> mono monitor, but I've never found one.

---

From: "Ernest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 21 17:06:31 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of peter tremewen

>
>         I have one of these Plastic cased Apples. One question I
> do have is what sort of keyboard they use. The keyboard conector
> on the mother board is wited directly to a nine pin serial socket
> on the back of the machine. Does it use the standard Apple II
> keyboard in a special case?? I seem to remember seeing info on
> how to wire an IBM keyboard to an apple some where. Can this be
> done for this machine??  Or am I mistaken. In spite of my small
> collection of Apple II parts I have never really taken much
> notice of these machines until recently when I have decided to do
> a "clean out" so advice on how to get this Apple in a more
> useable state would be apreciated......

I have a MicroSCI Havoc that uses a Cherry brand keyboard, and Multitech
also made a generic external Apple II keyboard that would work on both the
MPF II/III. I also have an Orange 2 that I believe also uses a Cherry
keyboard. I also have a couple of plain external Apple II keyboards but I'm
not sure who made them. I would assume that an Apple II/II+ keyboard would
also work if you could add one of the 9-pin adapters in place of the socket
plug that the standard Apple II uses but I haven't tested that.

http://12.228.5.66