Subject: Re: Scientific Micro Systems boards?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat Mar 22 06:50:05 2003

In a message dated 3/21/03 1:01:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> I've never seen an SMS product that was actually Q-Bus.  The SMS systems I
> used to have had all the I/O on a *big* board that the Q-Bus backplane
> connected into.  The only Q-Bus boards you had to have were CPU and Memory.
> 
> 

I think you got one of those SMS Q-Bus Boxes from me. They are an interesting 
system. A small QBus system piggybacked into a SMS Hard/Floppy drive box. I 
remember one with 8" drives and one with 5" drives, rack mount approximately 
2U in size.

SMS made all sorts of Q-Bus interface cards. I think they might have gotten 
their start with 8" floppy controllers but I am not sure. I know they made 
serial port cards.

Some SMS cards are marketable. I think they made a SCSI. I would think the 
floppy controllers because they supported other types of drives than DEC. I 
will have to look into my box and see what I have left.

I don't think there is a lot of support out there.

Paxton
Astoria, OR