Subject: Re: Unknown Apple 2 cards

From: Jules Richardson<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 6 14:27:06 2003

> It's the only card of the bunch besides the ROM programmer (which I also
> have) that I recognize.

yep - someone's found the user manual for me (complete with details on how to
hack the card to work with 27128 chips - ahhh, the good old days of computing!)

luckily everything the card needs is in ROM so I'm not missing any software for
it. Hope it still works, I could certainly make use of it!

> This is truly one cool lot of Apple cards. 

I have a lot more too, but most of them are more common - disk interfaces, SSC
cards, Epson printer interfaces etc.  There's four different audio cards too I
think, three of which are homebrewed and one which has four 40-pin ICs on it;
I'm yet to identify that last one. 

Unfortunately no SCSI or network controllers (so far anyway!) - that would have
been nice :-)

I'm still to see what I've left in the machines themselves but they're way too
buried to get at presently. I know both my ProFile interface boards are in the
Apple /// but other than that I don't know.

> really like to know what the IC Tester does (though I think it's pretty
> obvious ;)

Well I did a search via deja/google and someone managed to get hold of the
software a couple of years back, so it might be floating around somewhere. 

That IC tester and the programmer could probably do useful work for me; I just
need to hook one of the Apple systems up to the PC somehow so it can
communicate with the outside world. Probably be via serial, but if I had a SCSI
card in the Apple in theory it could share a SCSI bus with the PC would would
be interesting :)  (I've only ever seen that done between two identical modern
SGI boxes - not between hardware with a 20 year time difference!)

cheers

Jules

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 6 14:27:35 2003

> it. Hope it still works, I could certainly make use of it!

Hey cool.  Are these in electronic form?  I'd like a copy.

> I'm yet to identify that last one.

I've got hundreds myself.

> Unfortunately no SCSI or network controllers (so far anyway!) - that would have

I've got a couple SCSI cards and a few AppleTalk cards.  I'm trying to
find a high-speed SCSI interface but those are uncommon.

> SGI boxes - not between hardware with a 20 year time difference!)

I don't see why it wouldn't work though.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 7 19:26:42 2003

> SGI boxes - not between hardware with a 20 year time difference!)
I don't think the Apple (][) would be able to keep up its 1MHz clocked
bus with the 5MHz-clocked SCSI(-1) bus.  Other than that, it should not
be too hard to grab a cheap NCR chip, stash it onto a board with some
ROM and buffers, and type PR#5 :)

If you could buffer the data enough, this should work, because SCSI1
doesnt do sync mode data bursts, hence, the Apple would not get
"bombed" with data all the time, just in spurts.  Using heavy
buffering, things would work.

--f