Subject: dos 1.0

From: "Karl Paul" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 21:18:59 2003

Joe, Not so. The DOS 1.0 manual has no reference to Microsoft. The first 
page of the manual of DOS 1.1 states Disk Operation System, by Microsoft. 
The DOS 1.0 just states Disk Operation System. The part number is not the 
same either.

Karl

Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:00:22
To: [email-masked]
From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: dos 1.0
Reply-To: [email-masked]

If you have a DOS 1.1 manual then you have a DOS 1.0 manual. I've had and
seen several DOS 1.0 and 1.1 packages and the only difference between the
manuals was that the DOS 1.1 manuals had a paper sticker on them that said
"DOS 1.1". Even the part number on them was the same.

   Joe

At 01:31 PM 7/22/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I have DOS 1.1, in fact I have ALL of the IBM/PC DOS versions but for a 
>complete 1.0.
>
>Karl

_________________________________________________________________
Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 21:30:00 2003

Let me make this REAL clear. I've had both DOS 1.0 and 1.1 and they were
identical except for different disks and a paper sticker on the package
that said "DOS 1.1". I'm also fairly sure that there was no other mention
of hte DOs version anywhere else in the package except of the disks
themselves. I specificly checked the part number printed on the packages
and they were exactly the same.  I didn't go through EVERY page in the
manual but the 20 or so pages that I checked, including the title page,
indexs, introduction, copyright, etc, were all exactly the same. I'm not
100% sure but I don't think either of them mentioned MS. I did see a LATER
DOs 1.1 package that had CHANGE pages added to it that was slightly
different. I don't remember if it had the same part number and paper
sticker or not.

   Joe

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 22:07:10 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Karl Paul wrote:
> Joe, Not so.

Ehhh, you're BOTH wrong   :-)

> The DOS 1.0 manual has no reference to Microsoft.  The first page of the
> manual of DOS 1.1 states Disk Operation System, by Microsoft.  The DOS
> 1.0 just states Disk Operation System. The part number is not the same
> either.

Some of the early copies of PC-DOS 1.1 (including the one that I bought
the day that it first was availabel) were sold in DOS 1.0 binders, with an
added sticker, but with the old part number.

Did they later come out with a new binder?

Some pages WERE different.  Was it a whole new printing, or did they go
through and change just those pages?

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 22:12:16 2003

> indexs, introduction, copyright, etc, were all exactly the same. I'm not

Would you mind checking the pages for FORMAT, to see if they were changed
to add the /1 option (my copy was)

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 22:18:01 2003

>added sticker, but with the old part number.

   Er, that's exactly what I said.

>Did they later come out with a new binder?

    I'm not 100% certain but I don't think so. The only ones that I ever
saw that were different had had some change pages added but the manual  was
****basicly**** the same. I think they did add a page in the front that had
a second copyright date. I don't remember if they changed the PN on the
binder or not.

   OK I went and got out my DOS 1.1 package. They added two "Read Me First"
pages to the beginning of the manual. Those pages talk about DOS 1.1 and
it's additional memory requirement. Also 320k drive support and the /1
switch for the FORMAT command. I'm not going to go through the entire
manual but IIRC some of the manual pages were also changed.  The PN on the
binder is 6024001 and the PN on the disk is 6936669. The binder does has
the paper "DOS 1.1" sticker on it.

    Joe

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 22:19:43 2003

>to add the /1 option (my copy was)

    Yes, they describe the \1 switch. It's also described in some "Read Me
First" pages in the front of the manual.

     Joe

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 22:32:28 2003

> First" pages in the front of the manual.

It might even be the ONLY change, but that is certainly different
from what is in the 1.0 manual.

One would have to be very intent on having a COMPLETE collection
to feel a need to have both.

I sold my PC-DOS 1.0
I'll have to look further to find my PC-DOS 1.10, and MS-DOS 1.25
and
Joe is the current high bidder for PC-DOS 2.00

Any bids on PC-DOS 2.10, 3.00, 3.20 etc?