Subject: semi-OT: Power Computing 100 power supply

From: Marion Bates <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 4 08:47:47 2003

Hi folks,

Dunno if this is within the 10-year rule or not, but I don't know who  
else to ask.  :)

I've got a Power Computing 100, one of the earliest Mac clones  
(equivalent to Mac 8100/100, though the logic board is physically  
different). It seems that its power supply has died. It is a Seasonic  
SSH-200G. I'm pretty ignorant about PSU standards, so am not sure what  
I need to look for in a replacement -- a friend said "it looks like an  
AT power supply, but that little 4-pin plug [which connects to the  
logic board, I think] is non-standard, so a standard AT PSU won't work  
as a replacement." It also has two large 6-pin plugs that plug into the  
motherboard as well. The rest of the plugs are standard 4-pin.

Does anyone know what would be a compatible replacement? For example, I  
have been corresponding with the seller of this (which he will relist  
if I want it):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ 
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3670&item=3409672341&rd=1
which he says is the same except for being 250 watts instead of 200.  
But the model number's different and it looks a little different in the  
picture.

Thanks in advance,

-- MB

---

From: Marion Bates <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Apr 4 10:05:30 2003

Ah, cool! Thank you for the advice. I am even more eager to try 
replacing that motherboard battery now.

Thanks again.

-- MB

(By the way -- is everyone getting two copies of my posts? If so, I 
apologize...recently unsubbed and resubbed because I changed email 
accounts, and maybe I did something stupid.)

On Friday, April 4, 2003, at 09:46 AM, Dr. Ido wrote:

> Also, most switchmode power supplies will not power up without a load 
> of
> some sort.  For example, to test ATX power supplies outside of a 
> computer I
> connect an old HDD as a load and short the power-on line to GND.  Same
> principal applies to Mac power supplies except you short the power on 
> line
> to +5V (from memory, it's been a while so check before you short 
> anything).