Subject: dbit E11 and rtv53_rl.dsk

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 22:09:28 2003

I have a machine dedicated to DOS, and I have found that dbit's pdp11 
emulator
works under DOS (I wish sim worked under DOS)

Is there any way to get RSTS or any other pdp11 os running in this 
environment?

Anyone know what rtv53_rl.dsk is? I think it's a RL disk image of 
version 5.3 of
uh I used to remember. Is RT a pdp11 OS?

if so anyone know how to get this running?

Thanks!

---

From: Kevin Handy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 22:10:03 2003

> if so anyone know how to get this running?

RT11 version 5.3 on RL02 packs.
Essentially, it is a single user OS for the PDP-11, originally designed
for real time work (that's where the RT comes from).
You should just have to unzip/untar/whatever, point the emulator at
the disk image (as an RL02 drive), and boot.

---

From: Hans B Pufal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 22:10:19 2003

> works under DOS (I wish sim worked under DOS)

Do you mean SIMH ? If so it should be possible with a DOS extender.

  -- hbp

---

From: "Jerome H. Fine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 22:20:21 2003

> works under DOS (I wish sim worked under DOS)

Jerome Fine replies:

Since both SIMH and Ersatz-11 work under W95/W98, I can't
see why SIMH will not work under DOS will not handle SIMH
as well as E11.

Please try again.

> Is there any way to get RSTS or any other pdp11 os running in this

As far as I know, both SIMH and E11 run any PDP-11 operating
system.

For myself, I have used ONLY  RT-11, but both SIMH and E11
run very well.

> uh I used to remember. Is RT a pdp11 OS?

Normally, a DSK type file is fully expanded.  If you have a file which
is 10 MBytes (20450 blocks of 512 bytes each), then it is almost
certain you have a copy of an RL02 distribution for V5.03 of RT-11.
Under E11, the commands:
MOUNT   DL0:  rtv53_rl.dsk/RL02/RONLY
BOOT      DL0:
should get you started.

The compressed file which contains the V5.03 of RT-11 distribution
for an RL02 media is 1,373,083 bytes.  you need to UnZip this file
which I have heard produces 3 files.

RT-11 was probably the first major operating system for the PDP-11
and was first released in the early 1970s.  V5.06 was released by DEC
in August 1992 and was partially made Y2K.  V5.07 was released by
Mentec in November 1998.

> if so anyone know how to get this running?

Let us know how you made out.  Any other questions?

Sincerely yours,

Jerome Fine
--
If you attempted to send a reply and the original e-mail
address has been discontinued due a high volume of junk
e-mail, then the semi-permanent e-mail address can be
obtained by replacing the four characters preceding the
'at' with the four digits of the current year.

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 31 20:14:38 2003

> see why SIMH will not work under DOS will not handle SIMH
SimH will NOT run under DOS as it is right now, because of
memory (and -model) constraints.  Under Win9x and up, it
uses Win32 mode.

FAQ: Does SimH run under DOS?
     No.  SimH assumes various things about the system it is
     running on, and one of those assumptions the ability to
     allocate memory in large chunks, which is very hard to
     do under DOS without extra work.  Various other issues
     exist as well.  One day, it can be done, but not now.

--fred