Subject: DEC dot matrix printer

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 12:45:27 2003

I have a Digital LA75-A2 "Companion Printer" available if anyone wants 
it. I don't know if it works, and I have no way to test it. It was pulled 
from a dumpster a few weeks ago, and John didn't want it (John has first 
dibs on anything DEC that I get because he's been feeding me a fairly 
steady stream of old Macs). John took everything else.

The printer looks clean, and is physically in good condition. Other items 
I pulled from the dumpster that I have been able to test have all worked 
fine for the most part (for instance, the HP LJ 4 that I pulled is up and 
running just fine, and the 5L works but does the typical grabbing of too 
many pages from the hopper that all of HPs in that stand up design seem 
to do, and so far every cable that I pulled has tested ok).

So I have no reason to believe the printer doesn't work... but like I 
said, I got it from a dumpster, and have no way to test it, so I can't 
promise anything.

If anyone wants it, its free. Just come pick it up or cover shipping from 
NJ (07450). Or if you are anywhere between Ridgewood and Wayne or Wayne 
and Eatontown, I can drop it off tomorrow (friday) when I am out hitting 
two of my offices.

If no one wants it, it will most likely end up back in the dumpster (I 
might see if there are any print engine parts I can pull as visually it 
looks like it may be based on the same engine the Apple ImageWriter 1 is 
built around... if anyone can confirm that let me know).

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "Bob Lafleur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 12:45:49 2003

As far as I am aware, the LA75 and AppleImagewriter are almost the same
printer except for firmware. They both use the same ribbons, I'm 100%
sure of that. I seem to recall that they're also similar to another
"generic" printer (C-Itoh or something like that) but I don't remember
what it was.

   - Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of chris
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 2:10 PM
To: Classic Computer
Subject: DEC dot matrix printer

I have a Digital LA75-A2 "Companion Printer" available if anyone wants 
it. I don't know if it works, and I have no way to test it. It was
pulled 
from a dumpster a few weeks ago, and John didn't want it (John has first

The printer looks clean, and is physically in good condition. Other
items 
I pulled from the dumpster that I have been able to test have all worked

fine for the most part (for instance, the HP LJ 4 that I pulled is up
and 
running just fine, and the 5L works but does the typical grabbing of too

If anyone wants it, its free. Just come pick it up or cover shipping
from 
NJ (07450). Or if you are anywhere between Ridgewood and Wayne or Wayne 
and Eatontown, I can drop it off tomorrow (friday) when I am out hitting

two of my offices.

-chris

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Mar 28 12:47:00 2003

> "generic" printer (C-Itoh or something like that) but I don't remember

They're a pretty nice dot matrix printer, and last I checked (a few months
ago) you could still get ribbon's for them from office supply stores (just
get the Apple Imagewriter ribbon).  

I've got one attached to the VT420 that I use for a system console on my 
PDP-11/73.  It's a handy solution that lets me print out from any OS by just
typing it to screen, or get a printout of what's happening on the console. 
The VT420 at least allows you to turn the printing on and off in the setup. 

They are also good printers to connect directly to most DEC computers.

			Zane