Subject: OOPS - NOT vt52, VT100

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 24 09:13:06 2003

Sorry, posting too early in the morning has it's pitfalls :\

I'm looking for a good condition VT100, NOT a VT52.

*sigh* Sorry!

Jay West

---

From: RCTech <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 25 10:48:45 2003

What about software that will emulate a VT100 on a PC?

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 26 06:12:35 2003

> What about software that will emulate a VT100 on a PC?

Not that I'm the original requestor (I have VT52s, VT100s, VT220s
and VT240s, myself), but if one is going to consider using an
emulator, one has to ask does it do double-high-double-wide?  132 column?
Have a PF1/Gold key for EDT, etc.?

I use emulators because I have to, but occasionally I find times where I
_really_ want a terminal (and not just 'cause it looks right).  OTOH, if
I need to force-feed stuff down the throat of a classic system, even
an xterm window that's connected in some way to a serial port (kermit,
typically), is a great way to go.

I've even seen some recent applications for terminals that depend
on the "advanced video" features of the VT100 command set (the
news/weather/flight information system at South Pole was VT420s
on a MicroVAX when I was there last, running a simple app to page
through text screens.  Terminals were mounted in the wall at a
variety of public locations).

But, I suspect, in this case, it's simple aesthetics - the VT100 was
the dominant terminal when the 11/44 was current.  It's nice to have
the proper accessories for ones vintage machines.

-ethan