Subject: RE: Data conversion (Commodore 64, 8250 Disk Drive, SuperBase)

From: Lance Semmens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:36:31 2003

Teoz,

The specs differ a fair bit from the 8250 to the 1571. The 8250 can store
1024k per disk (http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/deieee2.html) whereas the
1571 can store 360k per disk (http://www.zimmers.net/cbmpics/d1571s.html) so
I don't think this is an option.

As far as importing into access goes, I am willing to do a bit of mucking
around. Getting the data in plain text would be great.

Lance.

-----Original Message-----
From: TeoZ [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, 25 July 2003 9:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Data conversion (Commodore 64, 8250 Disk Drive, SuperBase)

If a commodore 1571 drive can read your disk you can connect the 1571 direct
to a pc via parrallel port  and use software to dump the files directly to
the pc. Converting the database to access might be a problem if the format
isnt standard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2743816122&category=1247

I have used this type of cable to copy files from a pc to a 1541 drive and
back , supports 1571 (double sided 5.25)

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Lance Semmens" <[email-masked]>
To: "Cctalk (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 7:19 PM
Subject: Data conversion (Commodore 64, 8250 Disk Drive, SuperBase)

> I have 4 disks (5 1/4 floppies) full of data that I'm looking to import
into
> an Access Database.
> The data was written on a Commodore 64 with an 8250 double disk drive. The
> custom software
> that was being used sat on top of a SuperBase database.
>
> If anyone has the means to convert this data or can offer some tips as to
> how I could go about
> doing this it would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Lance.

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:38:10 2003

Do you have a 8250 drive and a c64 handy or can you borrow one?

If so you can use star commander to connect your c64 to a dos era pc and set
it up as drive unit 9. You then setup the 8250 as drive unit 8. Copy the
data from 8 to 9.

If you know some programming you can communicate with the 8250 (its
basically a computer sending data over a IEEE488 interface) and have it send
the data through the interface cable to you PC.

I am assuming that the 8250 uses the same interface cable to the c64 as the
normal 1541/1571/1581 drives do.

It all depends on how much you need this data, and how much you want to
spend on recovering it. Getting a copy of Superbase on the c64 and doing a
data dump of the files to aschi would be the best thing.