Subject: Re: Subject: new finds

From: John Honniball <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 22:19:30 2003

Tony Duell wrote:
> And even PCs sometimes have interesting cards in them. I remember once 
> rescuing a pair of IBM PCs to discover that one had the expansion box 
> (and the driver/receiver cards + cable) and the other had a GPIB card in 
> it...

I was fortunate enough to be offered an Amstrad PC1512 a while ago,
with a GPIB card.  Even better, I managed to *not* take the Amstrad,
and still get the GPIB card!

Oh, and my IBM PC also has the expansion box, cards and cable.

--
John Honniball
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Wed Mar 19 22:20:37 2003

> and still get the GPIB card!

Amstrads are one of the few clones I don't mind too much. Amstrad 
produced real service manuals (well, schematics and parts lists) for 
their machines until quite late on, and they are not difficult to get. 
Equally component-level spares seem to exist.

-tony

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 22:21:32 2003

On Wednesday 19 March 2003 17:46, Tony Duell wrote:
> Can you please trim unnecessary stuff from your replies. I've just
> deleted 600 lines at the end of this message!. Some of us (not in the US)
> have to pay by the minute for our downloads!
>
> > Wow! You are complaining about receiving 'donations'? I'd love to have a
>
> No, he's complaining about recceiving PCs :-)
>
> > PDP-11 or an old VAX or even old Commodore equip. donated to me!
>
> I don't think any of us would object to being given a PDP-n (for any
> <n>), a VAX, or anything like that. It's no-name PCs which turn up
> everywhere, which have little to distinguish them from other no-name PCs,
> and which have little technical interest, that people sometimes moan about.
>
> To be practical, _never_ moan at the donor. It's not unheard-of for them
> to have other 'old and useless' machines hidden away which they will also
> give you. Probably 8-bit micros (but they're interesting enough),
> sometimes even nicer stuff.

I usually follow this advice and now my garage is overflowing.  In one recent 
case the person mentioned a few early Olivettis and an IBM portable as well 
as several 386 vintage machines.  I agreed to take them all to save him the 
bother of hauling the 386s to the scrapper.  Well he ended doing some house 
cleaning the weekend before and got rid of the old machines after putting 
aside the 386s for me.

---

From: "J.C.Wren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Mar 19 22:21:49 2003

I'm looking for a schematic of a 4004 based design.  I know several
existed, but I'm not having much luck with my searches.  Can someone point
me at a design?

	--John