Subject: HP nixie tube module information needed

From: Tom Uban <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 21 10:12:23 2003

Hello,

Probably my best find at the recent Hamvention in Dayton OH was a
stack of nixie tube modules made by HP. In retrospect, I wish that
I had purchased the whole box of them, but I hopefully have enough
to at least make a clock.

I have two variations on the modules, the part numbers are:
	HP 05212-6016 series 648
	HP 05212-6003 series 415
They both use Borroughs B422 nixie tubes and look like they may have
an integrated HV supply of some sort.

Here are a couple of pics for reference:

http://www.ubanproductions.com/Images/nixie1.jpg
http://www.ubanproductions.com/Images/nixie2.jpg

I would appreciate if anyone can tell me what HP (or other) instruments
may have used these modules. I would also like to find a schematic of
the module if possible.

Thanks!

--tom

---

From: "Dave Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 21 10:14:54 2003

Tom

The DCAs (Decimal Counter Assembly) in those counters (5243 series, 5245
series) came in low and high speed versions. The -6016 is the normal low
speed 600kHz version used in most of the count positions and provides +1224
BCD output to the rear panel connector.  The -6003 version is the option 03
variation of it  that provided 1248 BCD output with the '1' state
negative.(as opposed to the -6002 which was the same but with '1' state
positive.)
I have schematics if you need 'em- my 5245M still rolls along quite nicely
since it knows I have the service info!

Cheers
 Dave Brown
 Christchurch, NZ

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Wed May 21 10:15:20 2003

> I have two variations on the modules, the part numbers are:

I have a schematic for the 5212L-4A Series 401 counter which might be 
closely related

> an integrated HV supply of some sort.

No. The black plasic block is a latch and decimal decoder (!). It 
contains 8 neons (look like NE2s, but the parts list doesn't give 
individual parts for this block) which perform the latching function for 
the 4 bits and their inverses. The top of the block is a thick film 
circuit of LDRs which forms a decoder tree to turn on the apporpriate 
cathode of the nixie tube.

I can provide a pinout of the 15 pin card edge, but the signals may not 
be too obvious without the complete service manual. Pin 1 is towards the 
front (nixie tube) end
1 : -130V
2 : 
3 : 
4 : +170V
5 : Transfer Input (latch enable)
6 : BCD Output A
7 : Signal Input
8 : Gate Input (Not used?)
9 : BCD Output B
10 : Signal Output to next decade
11 : +20V 
12 : Reset Input
13 : BCD Output C
14 : BCD Output D
15 : -15V

> may have used these modules. I would also like to find a schematic of

Well, the 5245 Counter uses closely related modules (I have one of these 
instruments and the full service manual...) Doubtless other instruments 
did too...

-tony

---

From: Don Maslin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 21 10:17:04 2003

> to at least make a clock.

I have seldom regretted the items that I purchased, but often
regretted those that I did not!
						- don

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sat May 24 19:16:15 2003

> regretted those that I did not!

I've heard that said about other collectables too, normally in the form 
'You never regret the <foo> you buy, only the <foo> you don't' (where 
<foo> is computers, cameras, clocks, stamps, etc as appropriate).

In general, I've found it to be true, at least provided the money spent 
on the items is not otherwise required for essentials like food, shelter, 
electricity, etc...

-tony

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sat May 24 19:16:57 2003

> since it knows I have the service info!

Yes, after I posted my reply last night, I noticed the appendix in the 
5245 manual that mentioned the 1248 BCD options...

AFAIK the counters are plug-compatible apart from the code used on the 
BCD output lines (and internally on the counter PCB, of course). So you 
may not need to worry about which version you actually have. The 
schematics are also very similar...

-tony