Subject: Re: TRS-80 Madness

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Apr 10 09:11:16 2003

Mike,

  I don't have any TRS stuff except one 6000 and the model 4. You got everything else :-/ That early model I and the Holmes stuff would probably bring a GOOD price on E-bay. I do have some interesting Amiga cards.  BTW can you make a copy of some of your model 4 SW for me? I could download it but I'm too lazy :-) BTW there's a hamfest in Gainsvile the weekend after Easter. It's small and probably not worth attending.

    Joe

At 09:22 AM 4/10/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey, speaking of TRS-80 madness...  I've always had it and I'm still
>looking for those rare pieces to add  to my model 1, and coco3 systems like
>a voxbox, huh-8100, that digital i/o board (a tar/80???) and a ide/scsi card
>for the coco...   Anyone with any of thiis and other cool gear wanna trade
>stuff for stuff?
>
>Cheers
>- Mike: [email-masked]

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Apr 10 10:04:13 2003

At 04:21 PM 4/10/03 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi !
>I approach the occasion... Someone know about one Tandy system with Xenix
>installed ?

   Sounds like a Tandy 6000. I have one but Mike got all my manuals :-/ The 6000 has both a 68000 and a Z-80 CPU and runs XENIX or CPM. Mine is a 6000HD and has an internal hard drive and an 8" floppy drive. They were multi-user systems and definitely a notch above the usual TRS stuff.

   Joe

I saw some of these in eBay months ago and I should like to get
>one some day.
>Thanks and Greetings
>Best Regards
>Sergio

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:44:08 2003

To me it looks like just another TRS-80 model 4, with some common
software.  Which, to me, means that it's worth quite a bit less than
what it's going for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3411037612&category=1247

(For those non-web-inclined, it's at $510 with 3.7 hrs left)

Is this just a fluke, or have these things gone up a lot in value since I
last looked at them?  My guess, is of course, 'just eBay prices,' but even
on eBay, I rarely see pricing *that far* off what I'd expect.

Pat
--
Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:44:26 2003

> on eBay, I rarely see pricing *that far* off what I'd expect.

I once sold a common Apple /// for $510.  I think sometimes it's just a
matter of being in the right place at the right time.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Owen Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:44:57 2003

> (For those non-web-inclined, it's at $510 with 3.7 hrs left)

Whoa. I have a TRS-80 Model 4 and more software than the one on eBay comes
with. And mine's a NGA, white screen, 128K version, too, with a 15MB Tandy
hard disk unit and everything. I spent maybe $100-$150 accumulating my
system. 

BTW - If anyone happens to have a non-gate-array Model 4 keyboard (not the
one with clustered arrow keys, that's gate-array) I would like to get a
replacement for my keyboard which is damaged.

Also - if anyone has a Model 6000 keyboard... I could use one of those too.

-- 
Owen Robertson

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:45:29 2003

Cheers

---

From: "SPC" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:45:43 2003

Hi !

I approach the occasion... Someone know about one Tandy system with Xenix
installed ? I saw some of these in eBay months ago and I should like to get
one some day.

Thanks and Greetings
Best Regards
Sergio

---

From: Christopher McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:45:55 2003

> installed ? I saw some of these in eBay months ago and I should like to get

Back in the early part of the last decade I had a Tandy 6000 that had
Microsoft Xenix installed on an external 20Meg Harddrive.  It also had
two eight inch floppies.    It was larger than a normal PC, but smaller
than a rack mount system.  I also had several Tandy terminals to go with
it.  These looked like the 6K, but had no "brains" in them.

Alas, the Tandy 6K is another one of those machines I wish I had never
gotten rid of, along with the IMSAI 8008 I sold for 50 bucks back in the
mid eighties.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Christopher L McNabb              Tel:   540 231 7554
Operating Systems Analyst         Email: [email-masked]
Virginia Tech                     ICBM:  37.205622N 80.414595W
GMRS: WPSR255                     ARS:   N2UX  Grid Sq: EM97SD

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:46:02 2003

> Mike,
>
>   I don't have any TRS stuff except one 6000 and the model 4. You got
everything else :-/ That early model I and the Holmes stuff would probably
bring a GOOD price on E-bay. I do have some interesting

Nope, private stash and toys.  That Holmes interface is sweet.  I also have
a LNW ei bareboard and a MDX II ei (nice as the Holmes) along with the
normal RS one too or a few..

Amiga cards.  BTW can you make a copy of some of your model 4 SW for me? I
could download it but I'm too lazy :-)

ok...

BTW there's a hamfest in Gainsvile the weekend after Easter. It's small and
probably not worth attending.

Well, I don't think the car will make it that far, but, ok.

;)
- Mike

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:46:15 2003

From: SPC <[email-masked]>
> installed ? I saw some of these in eBay months ago and I should like to
get

I have a few 16 and 6000 crates.  The 16 I played with last was having a
failure to (visually) communicate even though the raster was there.   I
pulled the cards and didnt see anything obvious and the cards reseat didn't
help so the junk factor is a little higher, but hey,   one of (or with parts
of one of) the others might...

I had a few extra 6000 keyboards, Owen, but some dude in Canada has borrowed
them for a data rescue and I haven't seen them back yet.

-

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:46:22 2003

> installed ? I saw some of these in eBay months ago and I should like to get

I have a Tandy 6000 (or it might be a Model 12 or something) that runs
Xenix (boots from floppy but I believe it may also be installed to a
hard drive).

--

---

From: Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:46:28 2003

>for the coco...   Anyone with any of thiis and other cool gear wanna trade

If you don't mind trading for $$$, go here:

http://www.cloud9tech.com/

Lotsa CoCo stuff, that the guy's still making! (New stuff, too!) He has a 
SCSI CD-ROM kit now! :-O

hmmm.... Hopefully I'll have a little cash left over from job #2...
;-)

HTH,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
[email-masked]

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:46:54 2003

> hard disk unit and everything. I spent maybe $100-$150 accumulating my

You remember that M4 we picked up downtown in Ft. Worth for ~$10?  That's
the most I've ever paid for a TRS-80.

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: Owen Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:47:22 2003

> the most I've ever paid for a TRS-80.

Yeah, I remember. I think those were from a local school district. A friend
of mine's mother used to work at the local elementary school, and she had
Model IIIs in her classroom with a Network 3 controller. A few years later
the school gave her "new" computers that were supposed to be much more
powerful. They were PCjrs. Frankly, I would have stuck with the Model IIIs.

I've never been back to that place. Maybe we should go back sometime and see
if they have anything.

-- 
Owen Robertson

---

From: "Lawrence Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 16:00:53 2003

On 10 Apr 2003, , Joe wrote:

> >I approach the occasion... Someone know about one Tandy
> >system with Xenix installed ?
> 
>    Sounds like a Tandy 6000. I have one but Mike got all my
>    manuals :-/ The 6000 has both a 68000 and a Z-80 CPU and
>    runs XENIX or CPM. Mine is a 6000HD and has an internal
>    hard drive and an 8" floppy drive. They were multi-user
>    systems and definitely a notch above the usual TRS stuff.
> 
>    Joe
> 
> 

 The TRS model II could also run Xenix with a 68000 card.

Lawrence

lgwalker@ mts.net

---

From: "Lawrence Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 16:04:08 2003

On 10 Apr 2003, , Vintage Computer Festival wrote:

> > system with Xenix installed ? I saw some of these in eBay
> > months ago and I should like to get one some day.
> 
> I have a Tandy 6000 (or it might be a Model 12 or something)
> that runs Xenix (boots from floppy but I believe it may also
> be installed to a hard drive).
> 
> -- 
> 

 My model II was a donation that came with Xenix on
8" floppy as well as 3 of the huge TRS 5 meg HDs.
Never did get the cabling for the drives so I still don't
know what's on there. On my ever-expanding to-do list.

Lawrence
lgwalker@ mts.net