Subject: Re: goin to CA soon, to be a CC tychoon

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 18:09:58 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:

> > You will be treated like crap at all levels of any transaction at fry's.

Hmm... must be my cute appearance and sweet voice then, because I
was NEVER treated badly @ Fry's.  And jesus, at one point my friends
just drove to Fry's rather than my place if they were looking for me,
so I *did* spend some time there :)

Basically... everyone there wearing a Fry's badge is clueless. That
is a fact.  They're paid to walk around and take your cash, but not
anything else.  Get your facts right BEFORE walking in, or you'll
loose.

Oh, and indeed, their return policy means:

----------
[with heavy Indian accent]

Oooh, Sir, so it did not work?  Let me call my Supervisor,
and we will refund you then.

[throws unchecked package on stack of stuff]

Thank You, Sir, and shop here again!
----------

Later, I'd see someone with that stuff in a cart, returning
the packages to their shelves.. ;-)

Did I mention how I managed to get an ethernet card NOT working
by accidentally plugging it into my 220VAC ?  OK, so I didnt like
the friggin card and wanted to return it, but still.. they never
checked, and I am sure they just placed it back on the shelf...

But, however clueless they are, they were never rude to me, or let
me wait long.

[mental note: DO NOT pay with a Platinum card. you WILL be talking
 to a black-hatted security professional soon after, usually one
 from the Sunnyvale Police.]

All that said... I love to hang around there.  The automatic piano
in their Sunnyvale store rocks, and I have spent endless hours there,
talking to customers who were looking for wireless [ethernet] gear,
up to the point where I was asked by a staff member to help myself
to anything in their coffee shop ;-)

--fred

---

From: Ed Chapel <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 18:12:31 2003

>At 12:00 PM 6/8/2003 -0500,  Jim Davis, your nimble fingers typed:

>Sorry, Getting totally OT here, PC HEIDENS was considered the "SOUP
>NAZI" of the reseller world. Found their way to bankrupcy last year.. Har 
>Har.
>NO CHIPS FOR YOU!

Your analogy here is spot on...  I had to pick myself up after falling out 
my chair laughing.

---

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 13 11:14:17 2003

Regarding ---->  Subject: RE: goin to CA soon, to be a CC tychoon

Does this thread win some kind of award for being the single longest most
off-topic thread in list history? Geeze! I've already nixed it from the
cctech list completely :)