Subject: ICL OPD - Documentation

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 16 23:18:30 2003

OK, first (and easiest) part done, the Installation Manual:

http://www.classic-micros.com/iclopd/installation/index.html

Next up will be "Advanced Operations", as that's nice and thin as well.

Then the handbook, which is fecking HUUUUUGE, and may take some time.
-- 
Cheers, Ade.
Be where it's at, B-Racing!
http://b-racing.com

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:12:21 2003

Second (and second easiest) part done, the Advanced Operations Manual:

http://classic-micros.com/iclopd/advancedops/index.html

Handbook is next, but at several hundred pages, this is going to take more 
than a day.

Following that will be the BASIC manual, which is also several hundred pages.

Finally, the only other bit of documentation I have for the standard OPD, 
the Xchange manual; another several hundred pages.
-- 
Cheers, Ade.
Be where it's at, B-Racing!
http://b-racing.com

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 12:09:22 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Adrian Vickers
> Sent: 15 March 2003 13:25
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: ICL OPD - Documentation (2)
> 
> 

Nice one! How long did that little bit o'scanning take?

w

---

From: Adrian Vickers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 14:35:20 2003

>Nice one! How long did that little bit o'scanning take?

Not too long, really: Probably an hour to hour-and-a-half of slaving over 
the scanner (mostly setting up the contrast/brightness to try to get the 
things OCRable, which I gave up on in the end - more in a mo). About 
another 1/2hr of general tidying up (rotating all the odd pages, since they 
came out upside-down), and about another 1/2hr cobbling together & 
debugging the HTML page.

As for the OCR, I was getting terrible results with CuneiForm '99 (an OCR 
package I actually purchased, damnit). I've now downloaded a thing called 
ImageDock, which does a far far better job. I'm currently OCRing the 
Handbook (i.e. main user manual), one section at a time. Which is taking 
ages, but mainly because I'm sorting the layout so it's pretty similar to 
the actual manual.

Currently, have done section C1 (13 pages + coverette), will do section C2 
tonight (17 pages), etc. I'm going to try to complete one section per day 
(excluding this w/e), which should mean it'll take about 3-4 weeks to complete.

So, if anyone is considering CuneiForm as their OCR package - don't. 
ImageDock is much better.
-- 
Cheers, Ade.
Be where it's at, B-Racing!
http://b-racing.com

---

From: Kevin Handy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 17:22:56 2003

>ImageDock is much better.
Project Gutenberg seems to prefer "Abbeyy Fine Reader" for their OCR
work, if you are willing to spend money on the software.