Subject: Re: cctalk digest, Vol 1 #664 - 5 msgs

From: Seth Lewin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 29 18:41:14 2003

I've acquired a whole collection of assorted LC-series machines from my town
disposal area -  and they almost invariably work as-found, needing a little
physical cleanout and maybe a new motherboard battery. I had a Performa 475
running as a web server for awhile, figuring it didn't consume much juice
and was relatively quiet but it's been replaced with a Performa 6300CD, a
dog of a machine design-wise but adequate to serve up a single page of
family photos. I've got a tub of  LCs now, plus some parts and whatnot from
a few I cannibalized;  if anyone needs any perhaps I can help out. One of
these days I'll network them all and run NetBunny just for a lark - let the
bunny march from one screen to the next. (It's been rainy here lately - I
need to get out more.......)

Seth Lewin

>> They're nice machines, though.  Probably the smallest mac out there, usually
>> very reliable and rarely having issues.  I used them for years back when
> they 
>> were The Shit(tm).
> 
> If it's the small case you like go for the LC475, just stick a full 040 and
> a 32MB SIMM in there and you're good to go for pretty much anything that'll
> run on a 68K machine.  I ran one for quite a while until I killed it trying
> to overclock it. 
> It was even quite usable on the web as long as you stuck with something
> like Netscape 3 and turned javascript off.
> 
> I've accumulated quick a stack of LCs since then including a few LC475s.  I
> haven't really done anything with them other than check if there was
> anything interesting on the HDDs.
> 
> Most of my Mac needs are met by the Quadra 950 and an slightly upgraded
> PM7500.  I do have an LC ][e card that I paid too much for, I'll get around
> to installing it one day.