Subject: Re: Some serious punched-card equipment on Ebay

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Apr 24 22:04:24 2003

oh MAN! I'm drooling over the 029 keypunches!

My first computer class in college freshman year, we were the last class to
use the 29 card punches. After our semester, they were retired and
everything went to VM/CMS on 3270 terminals. I'd love to find one of those
029 punches someday in working order! Of course, I'd also love to find the
4341 they were attached to :) I think I'd make room in the basement for that
;)

Jay West

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:21:25 2003

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2724747600&category=1247

Someone in Minneapolis/St. Paul has quite a lot of IBM punched card 
equipment up for sale.  They mention 029, 077, 129, 514, and 526 -- it 
looks like a large number of punches with perhaps one each of the 077, 
514, and 526.

The auction ends in 8 days and is for "the right to contact me on the
above machines" -- so it looks like, if you want some or all of the
equipment, you'll have a chance to make a deal rather than take it en
bloc.

Norm

---

From: Ron Hudson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:33:14 2003

On Thursday, April 24, 2003, at 06:39  PM, [email-masked]  
wrote:

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ 
> eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2724747600&category=1247

Anyone notice that the description says "you are bidding on the right  
to contact me" not
"you are bidding on several machines"??

What did they mean by that?

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:33:49 2003

> "you are bidding on the right to contact me"

 > What did they mean by that?

Looks to me you won't be receiving any tangible goods for your bid.

The description says "Please email with any ?'s and for pricing." so
it looks like the seller has a price for the items that is going to be
independent of what the bidding ends up at.

At 09:33 PM 4/24/03 -0700, you wrote:
>>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2724747600&category=1247
>

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:34:57 2003

> independent of what the bidding ends up at.

I think the words that are relevant here are "free advertising" ;)

(Well, cheap advertising at least.)

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Tom Uban <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:36:13 2003

I wonder if that equipment isn't related to the museum woes that
Al Kossow mentioned earlier.

--tom