Subject: Re: DEC disk packs.

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 10:32:54 2003

Here Here... I 2nd that... I'm in need of some RL02 media, and I'd gladly
pay shipping if you'd be willing...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Patrick Finnegan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2003 10:04 AM
Subject: Re: DEC disk packs.

> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Tim Myers wrote:
>
> > I have 29 RLO1/RLO2 cartridges, 11 RL07 cartridges, and 3 RM03
> > cartdridges. If anyone wants to collect them from The Wirral, UK,
> > contact me off list.
>
> Crap.  I could use a few RL02 carts, but you're on the complete wrong side
> of the pond.  Any chance you'd ship to the states?
>
> Pat
> --
> Purdue University ITAP/RCS
> Information Technology at Purdue
> Research Computing and Storage
> http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu

---

From: "Tim Myers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:25:16 2003

The need to be collected by the end of this week, they'll be skipped
otherwise. 

Tim.

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:26:28 2003

Pat

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:27:51 2003

> pay shipping if you'd be willing...

What are packs going for over here?  I'm sure shipping is a big deal,
intra-state or inter-national, because of padding requirements.  DEC
used to ship packs between these urethane foam box ends.  I wonder how
those have held up over the years.  Many of mine are damaged here and
there.

-ethan
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: Owen Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:29:24 2003

If you'll ship to the states, I could *seriously* use all the RL01 packs I
can get my hands on. My PDP-11/34 FINALLY booted RSX-11M the other day, and
I have a whole bunch of RL01s that I really need to back up, plus I need
some for file storage of my own.

-- 
Owen Robertson

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:31:54 2003

On Wednesday, April 16, 2003, Owen Robertson wrote:
> can get my hands on. My PDP-11/34 FINALLY booted RSX-11M the other day,
> and I have a whole bunch of RL01s that I really need to back up, plus I
> need some for file storage of my own.

BTW, I hereby send out a public congrats for getting that going.  You've
been working on that thing off and on for quite a while!  I can't wait to
see it boot up the next time I come visit.  I know you had several other
RL01 packs there; how many of them work?

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: Owen Robertson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 13:19:25 2003

on 4/16/03 8:53 PM, Jeffrey Sharp at [email-masked] wrote:

> been working on that thing off and on for quite a while!

Thank you! I have been working on it off and on for about 1.5 - 2 years. I'd
like to take this opportunity to thank everyone on the list (including
yourself, Jeff) who helped me get it up and running. I got it booted rather
by accident. I was testing out my spare DL11-W, and decided that using the
"It might not help but it can't hurt" principle, I would try booting it with
the spare DL11-W in place. The next thing I knew I was sitting at an MCR
prompt.

> I can't wait to see it boot up the next time I come visit.

And I can't wait to show it to someone who understands the significance of
it!

> I know you had several other RL01 packs there; how many of them work?

I just counted them today. I have 17 in all. Of those 17, there are only 3
that I know for sure don't work. I've tested out almost all of the other 14,
and so far they have all worked. I consider myself very fortunate.

I have a bunch of great RSX-11 software that came with my system including a
Fortran compiler, Pascal compiler, Z80 and 8048 development systems,
Datatrieve and more!

-- 
Owen Robertson

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 13:19:56 2003

> some for file storage of my own.

To properly backup a RL01 or RL02 you need the following items:

Q-Bus based MicroVAX (I use a MicroVAX 3 in a third party chassis)
A fair amount of diskspace on the MicroVAX (I use a pair of shadowed RA73's).
An Ethernet controller for the MicroVAX
an RLV12 for the MicroVAX

With a setup like this you can simply attach a RL01 or RL02 drive to the
MicroVAX and backup the diskpacks to disk files.  You can then restore the
disk files to diskpacks at a later date.  You can also use the diskfiles
that you create under SIMH.

BTW, the ethernet controller is so that you can get the images transferred
to a system with a CD-R/W drive, and burn your images to CD-R's!

			Zane

---

From: Dan Veeneman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 19 13:44:19 2003

Hi Jay,

I'm still working my way through the backlog of e-mail.

>pay shipping if you'd be willing...

I've got a couple of RL02 disk packs here.  They're in good physical shape,
but since I don't have an RL02 drive or even a PDP to run them on, I have
no idea if they're useable.

Cheers,

Dan
www.decodesystems.com/wanted.html