Subject: SN76477N

From: "Eurtly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:45:21 2003

I have been looking for the Chip " SN76477N " from Radio Shack, they do not
sell it any more
and have no idea where to find one.

Could you help me on this matter.

I designed a circuit over 20 years ago and now I have decided to put it
together,
 this requires (2) SN76477N sound chips...

Thank You

Mr. Eurtly Parker

Email: [email-masked]

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 23:40:22 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Eurtly
> Sent: 06 April 2003 20:46
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: SN76477N
>
>

BG Micro sell those for approx. $7 plus shipping, you can get 'em at
www.bgmicro.com.

cheers

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Mon Apr 7 23:41:17 2003

> Could you help me on this matter.

All I can tell you is that it was a Texas Instruments part, long since 
discontinued. But at least it was once available for other sources than 
Radio Shack so there might still be some around

-tony

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Shoppa)
Date: Mon Apr 7 23:41:57 2003

BG Micro ( http://www.bgmicro.com/ ) had these chips as recently as a year
or two ago, but alas I do not see them on their website anymore.

(They do however have the once-ubiquitous LM3909!)    

They've got some other neat stuff, like the 5x7 LED arrays that HP
used in their desktop calculator machinery.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but most any sound synthesis that
would've been done in a SN76477N or two 20 years ago (along with a
pocketfull of R's and C's) can be done today with a $1 8-pin PIC...
All that said, I have one SN76477N (along with the two acres of datasheet
that came with it from Radio Shack) and no it's not for sale :-)

Tim.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:40:12 2003

> used in their desktop calculator machinery.

Do you mean the 4-character displays used in the 9820 and 9830? If so, I 
know people who are looking for spares of those.

-tony

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Shoppa)
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:43:55 2003

>know people who are looking for spares of those.

I don't know if they're identical (I owned a 9830 but never had to
fix it), but they are very superficially very similar.  The data sheets
and application notes for the HP parts that BG Micro sells are at

  http://www.bgmicro.com/proddoc.asp

as the document for BG Micro part number ACS1076.

I use these hooked to a PIC to make custom alphanumeric displays.

They suck power like it's before the 1973 energy crisis :-)

Tim.