Subject: RE: More Acorn finds + Numonics graphics tablet

From: "Feldman, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 21:28:43 2003

My AutoCAD 2.18 Installation manual (March 1986) gives serial cabling for Numonics 2200 Series plotters to PC as:

Tablet End		Computer End
3 -------------------- 3
                       4 --|
                       5 --|
7 -------------------- 7
                       6 --|
                      20 --|

To use with AutoCAD, set the tablet for binary data transmition at 9600 baud, 8 bits, one stop bit. Switch settings are:

Switch	Open(Down)	Closed(Up)		Doesn't matter
A		2,5,7		1			3,4,6,8
B		5		3			1,2,4,6,7,8
C		1		2,3,4

Lastly, the AutoCAD notes say that the tablet can be configured to emulate other brands by changing the PROM chips.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Jules Richardson [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 5:04 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: More Acorn finds + Numonics graphics tablet
<snip>
  Numonics 2206 graphics tablet still in its box

<snip>

  *Any* info on the Numonics tablet would be great. It appears to be complete
(minus manuals - grr!) and supposedly works, but I don't even know what it
plugs into and I don't have any driver software for it. (I'm not even sure how
old it is :)

<snip>

---

From: Jules Richardson<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 21:44:01 2003

> To use with AutoCAD, set the tablet for binary data transmition at 
> 9600 baud, 8 bits, one stop bit. Switch settings are:

ok, that's useful, thanks. I have a serial cable that came with the machine so
I hooked it up to a DOS box and just used a terminal emulator to check I was
getting data from it. It looks healthy as far as I can tell, although given the
amount of raw data coming back the protocol looks quite complex.

> Lastly, the AutoCAD notes say that the tablet can be configured to 
> emulate other brands by changing the PROM chips.

Interesting. I'll have to take it apart now and see what (if anything) it says
in the ROMs that are in there :-)  
I found some vague reference to Numonics tablets working under Linux with a
Summagraphics driver if the ID string check is removed, but unfortunately it
doesn't actually say *which* Numonics tablets that applies to. I'll have to
give it a go sometime.

I found a driver disk for Apple systems, but my Mac skills aren't sufficient to
pull apart an Apple driver and engineer an equivalent one on a PC! (which is
what I'd like to use this on)

cheers

Jules

=====
Backward conditioning: putting saliva in a dog's mouth in an attempt to make a bell ring.

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/