Subject: Duct-tape residue

From: "Jon Titus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 10:07:37 2003

To remove the residue from non-water-soluble adhesives left behind by
masking tape, labels, duct tape, electrical tape, etc., I've used xylene or
xylol with good results.  You can find this fluid sold under the brand names
"Goof Off," or "Oops!" in the paint sections of hardware stores.  (It
removed latex-based paint drips or "slop" from trim, baseboards, floors,
etc.)

Some hardware stores may sell plain xylene, too.  Use outdoors, and try it
on any material before going all out.  It will dissolve some plastics such
as polystyrene.  As a fallback, you can use denatured ethyl alcohol
(ethanol).  Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, a.k.a. isopropanol) as sold
in pharmacies contains a lot of water and it doesn't do a good job.

Jon

Jon Titus
36 Sunset Drive
Milford, MA 01757-1362 USA
Phone: +1-508-478-8040
E-mail: [email-masked]
Member, National Association of Science Writers

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 19 15:35:27 2003

> removed latex-based paint drips or "slop" from trim, baseboards, floors,

I was just in the hardware store yesterday and saw a big can of Xylene and
wondered what it was.  Thanks for the tip!

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *