Subject: Compaq EISA Netflex-2 ENET/TR adapter?

From: "Robert F. Schaefer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 21 00:53:17 2003

Well, in the Big Box of Token-Ring Stuff I received a few days ago, there
was one EISA TR adapter, a Compaq Netflex-2 ENET/TR.  ENET as in Ethernet,
TR as in token-ring.  That's right, this baby apparently can speak ethernet
*and* token-ring!  I've been going over Comp^H^H^HHPs site for the last
half-hour, and the only thing I've found out about it is that a part number
is COMX142151, the TR side is an option that I presubably have installed (as
the card has a jumper block on the TR side and not the ENET side), and it
was avaliable on just about everything from the pro-whatever-500 through
the -4500.   Does anyone know where I can find the .cfg file for this?  Can
it speak ethernet and token-ring at the same time?  Is there a manual for it
anywhere?

Thanks!

Bob

---

From: John Boffemmyer IV <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 21 00:55:20 2003

Rob, I own one of these things. It CANNOT speak both. Ethernet was achieved 
through setting a jumper/switch (different on model) and making sure the 
circuit block for Token Ring was not installed. Token Ring gets enabled 
(and Ethernet disabled) via putting in the circuit block and setting the 
switch/jumper. Compaq does have drivers for these under ProLiant 2000 
Server on their site and such if you look for drivers by system model. I 
believe it was Compaq supported for Novell 3.x and OS/2 and I think DOS. I 
do know various flavors of Linux support it too. It was Compaq's way of 
creating flexibility and being cheap at the same time (which is something 
you never do with a server).
-John Boffemmyer IV

>it speak ethernet and token-ring at the same time?  Is there a manual for it

----------------------------------------
Founder, Lead Writer, Tech Analyst
and Web Designer Boff-Net Technologies
http://boff-net.dhs.org/index.html
---------------------------------------