Subject: Re: HP Amigo command set and HFS disk format

From: "Peter Brown" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 4 09:03:39 2003

Hi Frank,

Thanks for scanning and posting this document.  I've had a brief read 
through and it may be what I need - I'll have a deeper look this evening.

It looks as though the general form of the commands is very similar to CS80 
format but the commands themselves are different -  I wonder why HP did 
this?

Cheers

Peter Brown

_________________________________________________________________
Worried what your kids see online? Protect them better with MSN 8 
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/parental&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=186&DI=1059

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon May 5 22:11:58 2003

> format but the commands themselves are different -  I wonder why HP did 

Amigo was the project name for the computer sold as the HP 300 (not
9000 Series 300).  I believe it was the first cut at designing a
general protocol for communicating with storage (and maybe other)
devices over HP-IB, and I think the name got stuck on the protocol
as well.  

CS/80 came later, and I think it was informed somewhat by lessons
learned from the HP 300 experience.

And I think SS/80 was a sort of subset of CS/80 for lower-end storage
devices.

There was another protocol, CIPER, that was used for communicating
with printers over HP-IB.  At least that's what I remember from working
on HP3000s in the 1980s.

-Frank McConnell