Subject: HP 7905/7920 "Amigo" drives?

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 14 21:16:14 2003

Is anyone here familar with these drives? I was checking some HP 1000s today and making particular note of what boot roms they contained. One of them had a label that said that it had a boot rom for the "7905/20 disk". I checked my references and found that these drives are supposed to use the Amigo/MAC protocall. I know that a lot of the older HP floppy drives (9885, 82901/902, 9121, etc) also use the Amigo prototcall. I'm wondering if that means that this 1000 can boot from one of those floppy drives. How compatible is the 7905/7920 Amigo protocall and the Amigo protocall that's used for the floppy drives?

  Joe

---

From: "Glen S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 15 21:32:18 2003

Take a look at the 12992-90001_loaderRomsApr86.pdf doc on Al's site.  It has 
details of the operation of the various HP 1000 loader ROMs, including 
source code listings.

There is a separate ROM, p/n 12992-80007 12992E, which is specifically for 
booting from the 9885 flexible disk.  I'm not sure what interface is used to 
the 9885 for that loader ROM.

ROM p/n 12992-80002 12992B is for MAC 7905/7920 drives, 13175A/B interface.

ROM p/n 12992-80004 12992H is for HP-IB 7920H/7925H/9895 drives, 12821A 
interface.

If you remove the memory cards from the front card cage of the 1000E CPU you 
should be able to see the loader ROMs and if you can read the p/n labels you 
should be able to reference those back to the loader ROM doc to see exactly 
what you have.

>I know that a lot of the older HP floppy drives (9885, 82901/902, 9121, 
>etc) also use the Amigo prototcall. I'm wondering if that means that this 
>1000 can boot from one of those floppy drives.

_________________________________________________________________
Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail