Subject: Re: Soroc was: new finds

From: Bill Yakowenko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 2 19:39:04 2003

Hey Joe,

How sure are you about IQ-120's having 1802's?  ISTR doing a class project on
that, studied the schematics (wish I had those now!), and concluded that
the design was very much like a microcoded CPU - some PAL or PGA controlling
register transfers, with a state register acting as a kind of micro-program
counter...  Now I wonder if that was some other terminal.  It was 20 years
ago, and my memory aint what it used to be.

I may be interested in that IQ-130; I'll e-mail you off-list.  My IQ-135 is
actually in pieces (courtesy of UPS ten years ago).  But there's a happy ending:
I've found somebody with an ailing IQ-135 that needs parts.  I'm packing it up
for shipping now.

	Bill.

On 29 Jun 2003, Joe <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Bill,
> 
>    I THOUGHT it had an 1802 until I took it apart for cleaning/checking.
> Then I found out that it had one of those "RARE" NEC Z-80s :-/  It turns
> out that this is a model 130 and not a model 120. The 120s did use 1802s.
> This one also has the 1602 USART. I searched E-bay and didn't find anything
> related to Soroc. I searched the net and found quite a few hits for the
> model 120 and only one hit for the 130 and that was a message that Erik K.
> posted few weeks ago. I didn't see anything for a 135 but I did see a
> mention of a model 140.
> 
> > The one sitting next to me here (an IQ-135) definitely has a z80.
> 
>    Do you need a 130 to go with it? This one is interesting but I don't
> have room for things like this.
> 
>      Joe

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 15:39:31 2003

Bill,

   I'm not positive about the 120 having a 1802 since I've never
disassembled one but I've seen a number of websites that claimed that they
did. Search for "Soroc Terminal" on Google and you'll get plenty of hits.

   Joe

---

From: Bob Shannon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 15:44:33 2003

I've got an IQ120, its all random logic, no microcontroller at all.

Joe wrote:

>>actually in pieces (courtesy of UPS ten years ago).  But there's a happy
>>
>ending:
>
>>I've found somebody with an ailing IQ-135 that needs parts.  I'm packing
>>
>it up
>
>>for shipping now.
>>
>>	Bill.
>>
>>

---

From: Bob Shannon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 15:45:49 2003

I've got an unusual video board I'd like to play with...

This board usually generates NTSC interlaced video, but some came with a 
crystal and jumpering option to set the board for
60 hz vertical refresh.  This is the version of the hardware I have.  My 
documentation is not complete, but...

I'm assuming the boards generate composite video exactly like NTSC, only 
non-interlaced.  The resolution is 256 by 256.

Exactly what sort of monitor can be fairly easily hacked to display this 
video signal?

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat Jul 5 21:19:07 2003

> Exactly what sort of monitor can be fairly easily hacked to display this

Just about any NTSC video monitor will work, no hacking required.  I bet
you could find some ex-Apple II composite monitor laying around somewhere
that would work just peachy.  Just don't expect razor sharp video -- NTSC
is best for MOVING pictures/gfx.

Gary Hildebrand
St. Joseph, MO