Subject: Hamvention

From: Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 25 02:03:35 2003

Somewhat ontopic:

Anyone else here planning on going to Hamvention 2003 in Dayton, OH? It's 
looking like I'm going to be able to go this year, and was wondering what's 
the best way for a coupla newbies to get around to best experience this, 
without spending all day running in circles...

[[ And altho I won't have my truck, I'll have my wife's van -- which has 
big mirrors, in addition to a 1/2 ton truck frame, so 3 other adults & I 
will still have *lots* of storage for goodies... ;-) ]]

Thanks,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 25 02:03:56 2003

--- Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Somewhat ontopic:
> 
> Anyone else here planning on going to Hamvention 2003 in Dayton, OH? 

Me, Friday, at least.  I'm typically double-booked that weekend, so
for the past few years, I've missed Saturdays.  Sometimes I get back
soon enough for a Sunday afternoon's scrounging.

> wondering what's the best way for a coupla newbies to get around to best
> experience this, without spending all day running in circles...

I like to:

  a) get there before opening on Friday and get a decent space near
     enough to make trips to.

  b) start at one corner of the flea market and run patterns up and
     down the rows.

  c) make at least two trips back to the car.

  d) Bring a checkbook (being semi-local, sometimes people take checks
     from hams - the call sign means you *can* be located).

  e) Bring wads of small bills - nothing kills haggling faster than
     having to also bum for change.

  f) Bring at least a sturdy bag or two (canvas) or backpack.  Wheels
     are nice if you plan to buy things with linear power supplies or
     CRTs.

  g) Bring 2m radios to keep in touch (or FRS and/or cell phone if
     not everyone in the party is a ham).

  h) Bring sunscreen *and* an umbrella... you'll need one or both
     for sure.

-ethan

---

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 25 02:04:38 2003

> I like to:
[...]
>   h) Bring sunscreen *and* an umbrella... you'll need one or both

i) Clear some space in the house before you leave so that you won't
have the "Uh-oh, where can I find room for that car-load of new toys?"
problem when you arrive home.

-- 
Copyright (C) 2002 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals: 
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature & 
[email-masked]  410-744-4900  her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org         beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.