Subject: SparcStatiion 10

From: James Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:47:14 2003

I picked up a SS10 yesterday.  It was missing it's power supply but had 
a 24bit framebuffer a 10/100 S-Bus nic, MBus processor module, some ram 
and a hard drive.  Seemed like a restorable pizza box and since I don't 
have a 10 I bought it.  I got it home and the Sun p/n guide tells me 
that a SS10 uses the same power supply as a SS5.  I have a couple of 
spares for my 5's so I got one out.  There is no way it's going to fit 
in the chassis.  The  SS10 chassis has a beveled cast ridge where the 
power supply should slide into.  Is this a real SS10 or was the label 
switched?  Was there two different versions of the 10 chassis or power 
supply?

I'd like to trace it all out and get it working but for a $10 
investment, I can salvage out the parts and still feel that I got a good 
deal.

James

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:47:45 2003

>I picked up a SS10 yesterday.  It was missing it's power supply but had a 24bit framebuffer a 10/100 S-Bus nic, MBus processor module, some ram and a hard drive.  Seemed like a restorable pizza box and since I don't have a 10 I bought it.  I got it home and the Sun p/n guide tells me that a SS10 uses the same power supply as a SS5.  I have a couple of spares for my 5's so I got one out.  There is no way it's going to fit in the chassis.  The  SS10 chassis has a beveled cast ridge where the power supply should slide into.  Is this a real SS10 or was the label switched?  Was there two different versions of the 10 chassis or power supply?

I suspect that what it should have said is the SS20 has the same powersupply, but I'm honestly not 100% sure on that as I've not made sure.

>I'd like to trace it all out and get it working but for a $10 investment, I can salvage out the parts and still feel that I got a good deal.

$10 for the 24-bit framebuffer and 10/100 NIC sounds like a great deal to me!

		Zane

-- 
--
| Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| [email-masked] (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
|     Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing,    |
|          PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum.         |
|                http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/               |

---

From: Geoff Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:49:10 2003

At 09:31 AM 6/16/03 -0700, you wrote:

>I suspect that what it should have said is the SS20 has the same 
>powersupply, but I'm honestly not 100% sure on that as I've not made sure.

Sparc 5 and 20 supplies are identical, sparc 10 powersupplies are different 
beasties alltogether

---

From: James Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:49:20 2003

Geoff Reed wrote:

> Sparc 5 and 20 supplies are identical, sparc 10 powersupplies are 
> different beasties alltogether
>
I was going by the Sun part number database on sunstuff.org.  I had a 
couple of SS5 power supplies and the part number listing said that that 
particular p/n fit SS5 and SS10.  I think it was probably a typo.  I 
found a SS10 supply locally.