Subject: Re: hotrod Kaypro acquisition & problem

From: J Forbes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 9 08:04:00 2003

> So that leaves the question: how to get a kaypro II disk image?
> 
> I have a PC (P-166) lying around that I added a 5.25" drive to for the 
> purpose of reading some trs-80 disks.  I'm not sure of the drive density 
> at the moment; that was a while back.  What density drive should I use 
> in my PC?  What software it recommended for making a bootable disk? 
> Short of bothering the tireless Don Maslin, are there any disk images 
> available online that could help me out?  Should I scratch any plans to 
> recover the CP/M 2.2 image on the A drive and instead just attempt to 

Sounds like you need to bother the tireless Don Maslin....with whatever 
ROM info you have.  Most likely, you won't end up with a normal Kaypro 
II disk image!  From what I can make of the available info, you can use 
the Sydek program 22DISK to transfer files from Kaypro disks to MS-DOS 
files and vice-versa, but it won't work to make a bootable disk.  It 
requires the use of a 360k disk drive for best results--as 1.2M drives 
have different size heads and record at different levels.  I've had good 
luck using a 386 PC with a 360k drive and wfwg 3.11 to read and write 
Kaypro floppies and talk over my lan to get files to/from the internet.

One of the roughly ten Kaypros I've owned had the fan mod; a couple had 
OEM fans, but none have had the Advent rom; nor have any had hard drives 
added (the K10 I have now has a working hard drive, although the 
original files are long gone...and it takes some creative "laying on of 
hands" to get the drive spinning after it's been sitting awhile)

Sounds like a fun machine!

-- 
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2