Subject: Re: Oldest computer still in current use

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:56:46 2003

>Was the pun intended? The term is "moot point" -- to be "mute" is to be 
>unable to speak/make sounds,

Spelling error on my part, but it did make for an interesting pun.

>Define "Normal" -- If you can't define "normal" to us, and can accept or 
>dismiss anything any way you like, then we cannot give you a logical answer 
>to your original question and the entire discussion up to this point is 
>moot.

I can't define Normal. I'm intested in hearing all opinions of what is 
the oldest comptuer still in "normal" use. From there I'll make my own 
personal decision of which I feel provides the best answer. That doesn't 
mean anyone else has to consider my choice to be valid.

>So, does that leave the gubbermint out?

I'd accept the government, and actually I rather expected the answer to 
be some government system.

>My SWAG's would be that your best bets are: a) the gubbermint, and b) older 
>CNC/punch/cutting machines

That was the other place I figured the best answer might turn up. Some 
kind of factory automated system that still uses its orginal systems 
simply because its working so has no reason to be replaced.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: John Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:56:57 2003

ISTR that the FAA in Los Angeles still had some Bendix digital stuff
from the late 50s/early 60s in daily use - part of the LA radar complex.
There were a couple of articles in the Times about how the techs who knew
how to keep the old stuff going were ready to retire - and the difficutly
of finding some of the tubes.

  I don't know if that system has been upgraded by niw - this was ten or
so years ago I think I read that.

  It would certainly qualify...

 Cheers

John

---

From: "R. D. Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:57:45 2003

> the oldest comptuer still in "normal" use. From there I'll make my own 

There is no such thing as normal.  "Normal" is, quite simply, a bogus
concept originated by conformists in their attempts to stiffle
individuality.

-- 
Copyright (C) 2003 R. D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals: 
All Rights Reserved            an unnatural belief that we're above Nature & 
[email-masked]  410-744-4900  her other creatures, using dogma to justify such
http://www.rddavis.org         beliefs and to justify much human cruelty.

---

From: Jim <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:57:50 2003

<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/18265.html>

Jim

---

From: VaxCat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:58:33 2003

Oddly, however, Gary told me the story in 1999 or 2000.  So I
wonder if it's a coincidence.  Either that or my memory is
inaccurate and he pulled a fast one on me.  Ah well.  =-)

Anthony Clifton
Des Moines, Iowa

---

From: "Stan Sieler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:20:57 2003

> ><http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/5/18265.html>

The first time I heard that story, it was an HP 3000 :)

-- 
Stan Sieler
[email-masked]
www.allegro.com/sieler/wanted/index.html