Subject: Re: Oldest computer still in current use

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:55:16 2003

>> Although I would rule out the Voyager computer for two reasons. 1: You
>> can't say for sure that it is still running (is it still sending back
>> data?) and 2: Its only still running because no one shut it off.
>
>Both Voyager spacecraft are still transmitting.

Is NASA still getting data? I assume it will continue to transmit until a 
failure of some kind occurs, regardless of if we can hear it. But I 
didn't think NASA was still getting data from V_YGER :-)

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:55:22 2003

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/08/20/tech/main519236.shtml

Looks like they still get back data (of what I dont know since they passed
the known planets). Voyager will have power untill 2020 or somewhere around
there.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun May 11 19:55:59 2003

I don't think they're receiving per se, but I don't believe the power
systems have come anywhere near their specified maximum lifetimes.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun May 11 19:56:05 2003

There's plenty of stuff that's theoretically out there.  It would be neat
if the existence of some of it could be proven through the use of a 30+
year old spacecraft.

Peace...  Sridhar