Subject: RE: cctech digest, Vol 1 #476 - 3 msgs

From: "Musicman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 20 15:37:46 2003

I had an accident involving 2 liters of coke and two dozen of my prize 5
1/4" floppies. I carefully slit the top (away from the access hole) and
rinsed them in a sink of dishwater, then rinsed and let dry completely, then
slit new disks, remove the new media disk and put the old (now cleaned)
media into the new sleeve, and taped it with clear tape. Then   immediately
copied the disks to good new disks...They worked like a champ and I
recovered everything....

Hope this helps

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2003 11:00 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: cctech digest, Vol 1 #476 - 3 msgs

Send cctech mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.classiccmp.org/mailman/listinfo/cctech
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of cctech digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. 286 Computers (=?iso-8859-1?q?Roger=20Bisson?=)
   2. Re: help! how to recover water logged floppies? (Marion Bates)
   3. need CP/M boot disks ([email-masked])

--__--__--

Message: 1
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 00:47:43 +0100 (BST)
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Roger=20Bisson?= <[email-masked]>
Subject: 286 Computers
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Dear List,

What is the concensus on disposal of 286 and 386sx
hardware -- should they be consigned to the bin, or
are there any folks out there collecting them? (or
needing spares?).

One is a Schneider 286 Tower PC (10Mhz), and the other
is a Philips P3345 (16Mhz).

Personally, I do not view either as being particularly
noteworth (other than, perhaps, for sentimental
reasons) .. but seems such a shame to turn them into
landfill :-)

Best regards,

Roger
For a better Internet experience
http://www.yahoo.co.uk/btoffer

--__--__--

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 09:29:47 -0400
Subject: Re: help! how to recover water logged floppies?
From: Marion Bates <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]

Bummer! Well, dunno if this will be helpful to you or not, but we had a
zillion 3.5" floppies from 1984 (first Mac) and they got immersed in
water during Hurricane Andrew in 1992...they didn't work at all, so
figuring we had nothing to lose, I slit the labels, popped 'em apart,
and removed the disk itself, wiped down both surfaces with Q-tips and
rubbing alcohol. Then I took new floppies and disassembled them, tossed
the blank media, and put the old disk inside the case...taped back
together, and almost all of them worked well enough to recover the
data. The real issue seemed to be that the two paper pads swelled and
wrinkled, then dried, depositing lint on the disk surface and impeding
spin. The disks themselves seemed to weather the water fine.

(The Mac itself survived Andrew also -- I still have it. Only hurricane
damage was a couple dead keyswitches on the keyboard, I replaced those
and all's well -- 11 years later.  :)  If only the roof had been so
durable...)

Good luck...

-- MB

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 09:07 AM, Chandra Bajpai wrote:

> I had a small accident in my basement a couple of days ago and in
> cleaning everything out I discovered an old box of 5.25 TRS-80/Heathkit
> floppies with all my old stuff on them were damp with water.  I let
> them
> air dry overnight, but some of them still don't spin freely.
>
> What can I do to recover these disks - I hate to lose them. What sort
> of
> damage does water cause to floppies?
>
> Thanks,
> Chandra

--__--__--

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 09:43:24 -0600
To: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Subject: need CP/M boot disks
Reply-To: [email-masked]

I was told that Don Maslin can help me with boot disks for some old CP/M
computers. I need boot disks for the following:

Morrow Micro Decision MD 1
Epson QX-10
several different Kaypro models

I tried to make a boot disk for the Morrow using 22disk and the 'STDCPM22'
file at 'www.retroarchive.org'. 22disk did not have a file format for the
Morrow MD 1, so I used the format for the Morrow MD 2. (As far as I have
been able to find out, the MD1 had full height floppy disk drives and the
MD2 had half-height drives, but they were the same capacity). When I tried
to use the floppy to boot the computer, it would spin for about 15 seconds,
then the computer would reboot.

I was making the boot disk on a computer which had a 360K floppy drive.

Thanks!

xtguy

End of cctech Digest