Subject: RE: Coming up dry for Alps/Radio Shack/Atari/Commodore plotter g ears

From: "Feldman, Robert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 23 12:59:20 2003

Allied Devices
(http://www.allieddevices.com/web2000/documents/pinhubgears.80.120.html)
lists 120 pitch gears.

Making a die (internal cuts) is probably harder than machining individual
gears.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ethan Dicks [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 22, 2003 10:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Coming up dry for Alps/Radio Shack/Atari/Commodore plotter
gears

Having worked out the pitch of the broken drive gears (120), and
having looked on a couple of web sites _and_ contacted someone
at Boston Gear, it's looking grim.

According to the e-mail I got back, Boston Gear doesn't carry anything
finer than a pitch of 64.  When I asked who did carry such gears, the
answer was: "I am not familiar with any company that makes miniature
gearing." :-(

My goal all along has been to find a company that has a bag of these
on the shelf.  I had no idea it was such an unusual item.  I don't
relish the idea of fabrication, but maybe that's what we're facing.

Rather than machining each gear, I wonder how hard it would be to
make an extrusion die to pump out a long gear and cut it into 5/32"
slices?

-ethan
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 23 12:59:34 2003

> Coming up dry...
?

This listing looks decent:
   Gears & Gear Manufacturers
   Gears: Miniature (36 Companies Found)
   http://www.gears-ez.com/gears/0055881_0009155_1.html

John A.

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 23 13:00:20 2003

> (http://www.allieddevices.com/web2000/documents/pinhubgears.80.120.html)

Thanks for the tip.  I hadn't found them yet.  I've sent them the
dimensions.  Those URLs to PDFs don't work (missing files, it appears)
unfortunately.

> Making a die (internal cuts) is probably harder than machining individual

True, but it's something that is done once, rather than for each gear.

-ethan