Subject: Need to read 8-inch CP/M disks

From: Gary Robinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:18:06 2003

I have a need to read some 8-inch CP/M disks. They're pretty old and I'm
nervous about sending them anywhere because I'm afraid that post-9/11
package scanning could ruin them.

If anybody has any hardware they'd be interested in loaning to me (or
selling) for this purpose that would be great.

Or if anyone has a machine and lives in the U.S. Northeast, I wonder if I
could pay for some of your time to help me get this done.

Many thanks in advance for any help!

--Gary

-- 
Putting http://wecanstopspam.org in your email helps it pass through
overzealous spam filters.

Gary Robinson
CEO
Transpose, LLC
[email-masked]
207-942-3463
http://www.transpose.com
http://radio.weblogs.com/0101454

---

From: Don Maslin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:24:43 2003

> package scanning could ruin them.

Gary, I would not be concerned about that kind of damage in
shipping.  Much more likely is to get the disks folded if they are
not packed sufficiently well.  I mail disks fairly frequently to
and from both domestic and foreign addresses without problem.

						- don

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:52:20 2003

> package scanning could ruin them.

I've had lots of disks sent to me in recent times and there's never been a
problem.

I also make sure anyone sending me magentic media writes in big, bold, red
lettres on the packaging "MAGNETIC MEDIA INSIDE".

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 23:08:18 2003

> package scanning could ruin them.

WHICH CP/M format are they?  (What kind of computer were they made on?)
Are they SSSD?
Are they SSDD or DSDD?  (If so, then certain hardware issues become
easier)

Most of us haven't had any problems due to scanning.