Subject: Teletype ASR 33

From: Robert Borsuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Apr 5 22:10:29 2003

Hey,
    Was wondering if the Model 33 collectors seen this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/ 
eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2168370730&category=132

Rob

Robert Borsuk - [email-masked]
President
Colourfull Creations
http://www.colourfull.com

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Shoppa)
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:42:16 2003

In the hope that others can mirror them, I've put up over 1000
DEC manuals from the late 80's and early 90's up on the web.  They
hardly seem "classic" to me, since when I started collecting computers
these items were brand new, but they *do* meet the 10-year definition!

  http://www.trailing-edge.com/~shoppa/dec94mds/

Again, if you do set up a publicly-accessible mirror for these I would
appreciate it.  The last thing I want to do is hoard stuff I've been
sitting on for many years.

Tim.

---

From: "Greg Elkin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:42:31 2003

amazing, what lovely quality manuals! 
I've just looked at the KA660 CPU module technical manual, only 800Kb 
or so and it's very, very good. Hope the rest of them are of similar 
quality.

many thanks for these gems Tim!

Alas slow bandwidth here (ISDN) so no mirrors. But I'll leave my PC 
sucking down as many as I can and cut them to CDR if anyone else in 
the UK wants them :)

greg

---

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:42:43 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Shoppa" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 12:44 PM
Subject: 1000+ DEC PDF manuals on the web

> sitting on for many years.

WoW! Thanks for putting this stuff online! I located and downloaded a BUNCH
of stuff related to the systems I have.

Do you know how large a mirror would be in MB?

Thanks,
Stuart Johnson

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:44:01 2003

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> > I'm just guessing, but I suspect there is 2-3 CD's worth of stuff there, as
> > the copy of the DEC MDS I've got is 3 CD's.
>
> It actually works out to under 600 Mbytes because there's a factor of
> 3 or 4 in compressing from .PS to .PDF, and then there's some more savings
> because I only have one copy of each document but the real MDS set has
> duplication.
>
> The original DEC 94 MDS set is 2 for peripherals, 3 for VAXen.
>
> For those who are mirroring, your bandwidth will go up after some others
> get done :-).  Right now there's about 10 "wgets" going on so the effective
> speed for each is circa 4-5 kbytes/sec.
>
> Tim.
>

As I've told Tim, I'm working on setting up a mirror here at Purdue.
After this finishes downloading (Probably in about another day with the
2.8kB/sec rate I'm getting), I'll be hosting it on a machine that has much
more bandwith - it'll max out its network connection long before the
Internet connection here is maxed out.

So, if anyone wants to wait a day to download this, I can promise a much
higher download rate.  Of course the more people that wait, the faster I
can get the stuff downloaded for a mirror ;-).

Once it's set up, I'll email everyone, the URL will be:

http://purdueriots.com/classiccmp/dec94mds/

Pat
--
Purdue Universtiy ITAP/RCS
Information Technology at Purdue
Research Computing and Storage
http://www-rcd.cc.purdue.edu

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:44:17 2003

I'm just guessing, but I suspect there is 2-3 CD's worth of stuff there, as
the copy of the DEC MDS I've got is 3 CD's.  FYI, this is what replaced the
Microfiche.

It's great how Tim has this stuff indexed!

			Zane
--
| Zane H. Healy                    | UNIX Systems Administrator |
| [email-masked] (primary)    | OpenVMS Enthusiast         |
|                                  | Classic Computer Collector |
+----------------------------------+----------------------------+
|     Empire of the Petal Throne and Traveller Role Playing,    |
|          PDP-10 Emulation and Zane's Computer Museum.         |
|                http://www.aracnet.com/~healyzh/               |

---

From: "James W. Brinkerhoff" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:44:41 2003

If anyone needs a mirror, I'd be more than happy to put these up once I'm done downloading them...     Bandwidth won't be much of an issue...

-jwb

On Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:22:43 -0500
Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]> wrote:

# On Sunday, April  6, 2003, Tim Shoppa wrote:
# > It actually works out to under 600 Mbytes ... For those who are
# > mirroring, your bandwidth will go up after some others get done :-).
# > Right now there's about 10 "wgets" going on so the effective speed for
# > each is circa 4-5 kbytes/sec.
# 
# Obvious question: How much would it cost to reimburse you for time and
# expenses of burning the files to CD and mailing the CD, if such a
# service were indeed available?  Considering the prices one finds at
# certain other venues, even $50 would be relatively dirt cheap.
# 
# Never underestimate the bandwidth of a CD in a UPS truck.
# 
# -- 
# Jeffrey Sharp

-- 
## James W. Brinkerhoff <[email-masked]>
##
## GPG Key Sig: EBF1 6C24 0814 A3E9 6E93  649C 1F25 D807 E484 C9B9

[demime 1.01a removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]

---

From: [email-masked] (Tim Shoppa)
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:44:50 2003

Tim.

---

From: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:44:54 2003

> It actually works out to under 600 Mbytes...

I have a bandwidth limitation on my ISP, but I could host some
of these to help.  I might be better suited to cut CD's on request.

BTW Thanks for this magnificent effort.  For those who haven't
seen it yet, this eDoc set is "compressed" all the way down to
properly formatted text.  Clean,compact, and transportable...
Most excellent!

John A.

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:45:03 2003

On Sunday, April  6, 2003, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> It actually works out to under 600 Mbytes ... For those who are
> mirroring, your bandwidth will go up after some others get done :-).
> Right now there's about 10 "wgets" going on so the effective speed for
> each is circa 4-5 kbytes/sec.

Obvious question: How much would it cost to reimburse you for time and
expenses of burning the files to CD and mailing the CD, if such a
service were indeed available?  Considering the prices one finds at
certain other venues, even $50 would be relatively dirt cheap.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a CD in a UPS truck.

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:45:12 2003

> Internet connection here is maxed out.

That works for me.  Would it be feasible to make MD5 sums available as well?

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 12:45:17 2003

> That works for me.  Would it be feasible to make MD5 sums available as well?

Sure, I guess.  Not sure what that'd get you since there's no 'master'
set of MD5s available and it's not like there's any binary software or
source in there.  Of course, I'm usually not paranoid enough to look at
MD5's anyhow...

I'll make an MD5sums text file in there with all of the MD5's, and put a
link on the mirrored index.html.

Pat

---

From: "Bruce Lane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 13:00:18 2003

Hey, Tim,

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********

>sitting on for many years.

	Wow! That's great, except for one little problem.

	I get '403: Access forbidden' when I try to get to it.

	Methinks you've got a permissions issue. ;-)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
ARS KC7GR (Formerly WD6EOS) since 12-77 -- [email-masked]
"I'll get a life when someone demonstrates that it would be superior
to what I have now..." (Taki Kogoma, aka Gym Z. Quirk)

---

From: harsha godavari <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 13:35:06 2003

Hi:
    I was given a NEC Prospeed laptop. It came with a 4 mb memory
module. I would like to upgrade the memory to 8mb atleast. However this
is a small pcb (almost 3" x 4") with 4 or so dram chips mounted on it. 

It seems 4mb module wass the biggest module available.  My question is
can this be modified to allow 8 or more mb of RAM or or there any
adapters available which can accept the more common (now) sdram modules?

Thanks for your help

Regards
Harsha Godavari

---

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 7 23:40:35 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Lane" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 07, 2003 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: 1000+ DEC PDF manuals on the web

> On 05-Apr-03 at 13:44 [email-masked] wrote:
<SNIP>
> Methinks you've got a permissions issue. ;-)
Tim,

I was able to see the site over the weekend, but I also get a (403)
permissions error today.

Stuart Johnson

---

From: Patrick Finnegan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 8 12:34:21 2003

> http://purdueriots.com/classiccmp/dec94mds/

It looks like I might have actually finished downloading this before Tim's
master went down.  So, anyone who's interested can go ahead and download
things from the above URL.  Let me know if anyone finds broken links, so I
know if the mirror isn't complete.  I've also posted a MD5sums file with
the MD5's of the files on the site, with a link on the index.html to it.

Pat

---

From: Benjamin Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 8 12:34:40 2003

> http://purdueriots.com/classiccmp/dec94mds/
Also I am mirroring it, when I have got it all finished, it will be at:
http://www.carnagevisors.com/classiccmp/dec94mds/

Benjamin

-- 
one you lock the target
two you bait the line
three you slowly spread the net
and four you catch the man

Front 242 Headhunter

---

From: Benjamin Gardiner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 8 12:34:44 2003

I have now got it all mirrored...

you can get these DEC manuals at the url I mentioned earlier
http://www.carnagevisors.net/classiccmp/dec94mds/

Benjamin

Front 242 Headhunter

---

From: Christopher McNabb <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 8 12:34:51 2003

I have mirrored Tim Shoppa's great collection at
http://cmcnabb.cc.vt.edu/dec94mds .  This site should have plenty of
bandwidth since the machine is located in the Virginia Tech Information
Services Building.

-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Christopher L McNabb              Tel:   540 231 7554
Operating Systems Analyst         Email: [email-masked]
Virginia Tech                     ICBM:  37.205622N 80.414595W
GMRS: WPSR255                     ARS:   N2UX  Grid Sq: EM97SD

---

From: Paul Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 8 12:36:20 2003

I have not been following this thread, but have you guys gotten
permission from DEC/COMPAQ/HP to post this information on the internet?

If you have not, then there are legal issues to consider.

Regards,
Paul

-- 
Paul Berger <[email-masked]>

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:38:49 2003

> If you have not, then there are legal issues to consider.

There was a blanket grant of permission.  If I wasn't at work, I'd google
for specifics and post them.  IIRC I read the text of the grant at one of
the archive sites.

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: "Antonio Carlini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:30:38 2003

> http://cmcnabb.cc.vt.edu/dec94mds .  This site should have 
> plenty of bandwidth since the machine is located in the 
> Virginia Tech Information Services Building.

Just in case anyone is interested, there's what looks
like a January 2000 set of the same CDs (but newer)
on ebay right now:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3603918902&category
=3806

US & Canada only, no bids so far. $25.

I assume that it has some of the newer docs available.

Antonio
 
-- 

---------------
Antonio Carlini             [email-masked]