Subject: Tek 8002 system : some questions

From: Marian Capel / Jos Dreesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 23:16:00 2003

I have a few questions on this old beast :

Does it work with another terminal than the tek4024 ?
What are default baudrates...

Are manuals online or available ?

				Any info welcome......

							Thanks, Jos

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 23:17:40 2003

Hi all,

After reviewing the current status of the power system I have
for the hobby systems (7 segments of 240VAC at 20A each, one
of which being used by a big airco), I noticed something.

I did my best to physically separate the systems from eachother
on the network, just to avoid massive burnouts if/when a single
system goes BOOM on me.  I use AUI ports and -cabling to (DELNI)
repeaters, and from a DELNI (a "systems group" in my network),
a single 10BaseFL link goes up to the fiber hub in the machine
room, which handles all the other stuff etc.

However... it just ocurred to me that even though I did that, I
still have some sort of a "connection" through the main power
lines (3x 500VAC @ 48A/ea) here, so, if an old 11/23 in a BA23
goes smokey on me, it still could kill my (quite expensive)
production network stuff through the power system.

Does anyone have (serious) ideas on how to fix this (short of
requesting three separated power lines from the utilities.. they
have a hard time dealing with me as it is ;-)

Thanks,
	Fred (slightly worried)

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 23:22:32 2003

>Does it work with another terminal than the tek4024 ?

   I'd be surprised if it didn't.

>What are default baudrates...

    Don't know.
>Are manuals online or available ?

   That will take some digging. I had a 8002 and gave it to Mike Haas and
he also got another from Canada. I THINK I gave him some manuals and I
think he also got some with the 2nd 8002. check with him, then start
checking with the used manual merchants. I expect it's going to take time
and work to get a decent set of manuals for this.

      Joe

---

From: William Donzelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 23:25:46 2003

> have a hard time dealing with me as it is ;-)

I think you are overreating. Keep the vintage stuff on a seperate breaker
from the production stuff. If the PDP-11/23 "goes boom", the smaller
breaker will trip first, and the other breakers, including the main one,
will still be closed and happy. The other circuits and machines may notice
a small dip in the power for a fraction of a second, but they could
probably weather it. 

UPSs, surge protectors and a big old Sola isolation/regulating transformer 
would also be nice, but overkill.

William Donzelli
[email-masked]

---

From: Jochen Kunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 23:44:01 2003

> production network stuff through the power system.
If you have a feed with 48 A breaker and then the power is split up to
several segments with 20 A breakers, the 20 A breaker will shut off
first if there is a failure. It is guaranteed that the smaler breaker
will break first if there are two breakers in series and the shut off
value of the biger breaker is at least 1.6 times bigger then the smaler
breaker. At least in Germany. 

I don't think that you can damage an other machine via the power feed.
You would have to pump a lot of power with a high voltage backward into
the power feed to cause damage on other machines. 

Data lines like Ethernet, serial cables, ... are much more sensitive.
But as you wrote you have a 10BaseFL link, hence perfect galvanic
decoupling. 
-- 

tschüß,
       Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/

---

From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 30 23:51:57 2003

From: Joe <[email-masked]>

> and work to get a decent set of manuals for this.

Joe, I think Robertson got your 8002.  You must be recalling those 4907
single and dual drives for the 4051 that also came my way.   Wait, I did get
the 1750A emulator card and docs from you for the 8002 though...

My 8002 arrived from Canada with tons of manuals and software for the 6800
and 8080 emulators that were included, DOSes and Assemblers for each and
more.  But the drive connecting harness was badly damaged when shipped so it
still hasn't seen new juice yet...  I'll get this thing fixed as soon as I
find the 1802 option though.... ;)

The manuals have been boxed but I've been digging in that general direction
for awhile now and should run across them pretty soon....  Check back
shortly with me if nothing else turns up..

Cheers
- Mike: [email-masked]

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 00:03:26 2003

At 09:39 AM 7/30/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Joe, I think Robertson got your 8002. 

   You're probably right. Steve asked me the other day if I wanted an 8002.
He said that he thought i gave it to him. But I'm sure that I gave you some
kind of old Tek system and I thought it was also a 8002. 

 You must be recalling those 4907
>find the 1802 option though.... ;)

    Good Luck!  BTW I have some RCA 1802 docs that you might be intersted
in. I'll try to call or E-mail you about them.

>shortly with me if nothing else turns up..

    Glad to hear that you DO have some manuals. Guard them well! They're
probably the only set around!

     Joe