Subject: IBM POWERstation 220 serial terminal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu Jul 17 11:55:56 2003

Greetings,

I have recieved an old IBM Model 7011-220. There is very little documentation,
and IBM has no clue...

I have no video adapter or monitor, can someone tell me the type (guessing Sun
13W3...)

Also, can someone provide instructions on how to use this with the Linux term.
program Minicom?

And... *grimaces* anyone know HTH to get the cover off ;)

TIA,
Owen
Marshall

---

From: Jochen Kunz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 21 13:55:26 2003

On 2003.07.14 02:50 [email-masked] wrote:

> I have no video adapter or monitor, can someone tell me the type
> (guessing Sun 13W3...)
I.e. the machine has a framebuffer but you have no cable?
You can use a Sun 13W3 to BNC cable if you only use the R G B BNC plugs.
The other 10 pins of a 13W3 connector are different used on Sun and IBM.

> Also, can someone provide instructions on how to use this with the
> Linux term. program Minicom?
What is the problem? Null modem cable, start minicom(1), done. 
AFAIK you need the diagnistics software or AIX to switch the machine to
serial console. I prefer to use cu(1) or tip(1) instead of minicom(1).
Less trouble with terminal emulation and more minimalistic. ;-) 

> And... *grimaces* anyone know HTH to get the cover off ;)
Pull down the latch on the back and pull the entire machine out of the
cover. At least it works this way on my 250 and I think the 220 and 250
are very similar. Ahh, the lock on the front has to be in service
position. 
-- 

tschüß,
       Jochen

Homepage: http://www.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de/~jkunz/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon Jul 21 14:47:25 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 [email-masked] wrote:

> I have recieved an old IBM Model 7011-220. There is very little
> documentation, and IBM has no clue...
>

Nope.  IBM 13w3.  Completely different.

> Also, can someone provide instructions on how to use this with the Linux
> term. program Minicom?

If you look up how to use the DOS program Telix, you will likely know how
to use Minicom.  They're quite similar.  Unless I'm thinking of a
different program.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: Paul Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jul 21 15:32:44 2003

> And... *grimaces* anyone know HTH to get the cover off ;)

The key must be in service mode for the cover to come off.

You have the key, right? ;-)

I use minicom as the console for mine.

Paul

--