Subject: Re: SWTPC TV Typewriter II restoration

From: "Glen S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 00:24:00 2003

That brings back some memories.  The first computer I had back when I was in 
the 7th grade was a KIM-1 that a friend of my father gave me.  Eventually I 
bought an 8KB RAM expansion board and a SWTP terminal kit so I could run 
BASIC on the KIM-1.  The SWTP terminal kit I had looked about the same as 
your pictures, except it included a full beige plastic case.  The kit must 
not have been too difficult to put together since I don't remember having 
any problems getting it built and working.  I later managed to blow 
something up on it once though when I somehow plugged one of the Molex 
connectors in backwards, but a local computer club member was able to repair 
the damage for me at the time.  After a couple of years I traded the KIM-1 
and the SWTP terminal in towards a brand new Apple II+.  That's one trade I 
wish I never made.

>Here are some links to my CT-1024 TV Typewriter II pages.
>http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/CT_1024/CT1024_Index.htm
>http://www.swtpc.com/mholley/CT_1024/Restore/CT1024_Restore.htm

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail

---

From: "Philip Pemberton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 17 12:07:57 2003

Glen S wrote:
> That brings back some memories.  The first computer I had back when I
> was in the 7th grade was a KIM-1 that a friend of my father gave me.
Wow. You had a KIM-1? Lucky you... I've spent two years (give or take)
looking for one and I've never found one for sale yet.
I've spent roughly the same amount of time looking for a Synertek SYM-1.
Still no luck... I've got a ton of "common" computers (about the rarest is
my Psion Organiser II) but nothing older/rarer than the Psion.

> Eventually I bought an 8KB RAM expansion board and a SWTP terminal
> kit so I could run BASIC on the KIM-1.  The SWTP terminal kit I had
> looked about the same as your pictures, except it included a full
> beige plastic case.
Beige? Ugh. Pass the spraypaint...

> The kit must not have been too difficult to put
> together since I don't remember having any problems getting it built
> and working.  I later managed to blow something up on it once though
> when I somehow plugged one of the Molex connectors in backwards, but
> a local computer club member was able to repair the damage for me at
> the time.
If only those kind of clubs still existed... Now, I've got some spare
cash... I think it's high time to fix the Jupiter Ace. Properly.
Does anyone have a schematic for a 2114 RAM tester? I think I may have blew
one of the replacement RAMs... Anyone putting an order in with BG Micro
anytime soon???

> After a couple of years I traded the KIM-1 and the SWTP
> terminal in towards a brand new Apple II+.  That's one trade I wish I
> never made.
:-(

Later.
--
Phil.
[email-masked]
http://www.philpem.dsl.pipex.com/

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Mon Mar 17 23:30:43 2003

> If only those kind of clubs still existed... Now, I've got some spare

Indeed. The problem is that classic-computer/hardware hackers are not 
grouped close enough together for such a club to be really workable. 
You'd really have to meet face-to-face.

Occassionally, we do hardware hacking at HPCC, and I almost always have a 
reasonable toolkit with me. I guess that's one of the last clubs where 
things do get dismantled and modified -- if I am wrong, and there's 
another one in the London (UK) area, then please enlighten me :-)

> Does anyone have a schematic for a 2114 RAM tester? I think I may have blew

Put the supect one in the character generator area (and try it in both 
positions). The machine will start up with it there, but you'll only get 
half of each character recogniseable if it's defective...

-tony