Subject: HP front-panel keys

From: John Honniball <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 7 19:25:54 2003

Quick question for those people with HP 1000 machines and the like...
what are the front-panel keys like?  Only I have a few discarded HP
keys here that are all alike:

    Corbin Cabinet Lock CAT99
    Corbin 4T1427

All the keys are brass.  Are they for an HP front-panel lock of some
sort?  If so, which?

--
John Honniball
[email-masked]

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 7 19:26:13 2003

I have several HP 1000s and two original keys but I'm not sure what
you're asking. But yes the keys in all of the HP 1000s are interchangeable,
at least in the six or eight machines that I've tried. I don't have one
here but IIRC they are Corbin keys and they are brass with a round head.
FWIW I just got some keys made and it was a real hassle. I tried Home
Depot, Lowe's and a couple of othe large hardware places and they didn't
have any blanks of the same type. I finally went ot a small local hardware
store and they found some blanks made by another company (ILCO?) that they
could make keys from. The new keys have a trapazoid shaped head like that
usually used on house keys and they're nickel plated steel so they look
completely different from the original keys.

   The locks on the HP 1000 simply hold the front panel closed. But the
main power switch is located under the cover.

   If what you have ARE HP 1000 keys I could use them but it's probably not
worth the cost to ship them from the UK to Florida.

    Joe

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 7 19:26:17 2003

>     Corbin 4T1427

This would fit several models of classic HP 3000 -- mine has worked
in a Series III and also in a Series 58, and I would expect it to work
in at least Series II, 44 and 58.  But not on Series 37, 64, 68, 70,
or Micro 3000s.

-Frank McConnell

---

From: John Honniball <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 7 19:26:22 2003

Joe wrote:
> you're asking.

Basically, I'm asking if these keys are intedd for the HP 1000s.

> But yes the keys in all of the HP 1000s are interchangeable,

That sounds like one of the two types I have.

> worth the cost to ship them from the UK to Florida.

OK, well I'll see how much it'd cost, anyway.

--
John Honniball
[email-masked]