Subject: vs3100m38 single user boot???.

From: "Fred deBros" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 23:05:09 2003

Can I boot Netbsd1.5 or 4.3bsd  into single user from the vs3100 bios?
Whats the cmd? Boot dka100/1
Or set boot dka100 and then b/1?

Why?

I need to crack the root password of course.

fred

---

From: "Robert F. Schaefer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 23:35:43 2003

Found this a few minutes ago.  Kinda neat...

 http://www.vaxman.de/projects/midi/midi200.html

Bob

---

From: "Robert F. Schaefer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 11 21:37:04 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred deBros" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, March 09, 2003 10:34 PM
Subject: vs3100m38 single user boot???.

> I need to crack the root password of course.

What is the existing OS?  For OpenVMS, the OpenVMS FAQ has the procedure at
http://www.google.com/search?q=OpenVMS+FAQ, for NetBSD try
http://www.google.com/search?q=VAX+"single user".  No experience with 4.3,
but I might try http://www.google.com/search?q=4.3+BSD+"single user" if I
was feeling dangerous.

Bob

---

From: "Fred N. van Kempen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 11 21:37:13 2003

>>> boot/1 dka100

or

>>> boot dka100 -s

on some systems.. the "-s" will be passed to the boot loader itself,
and, if it supports that, it will interpret it as "single mode mode".

The full command is:

>>> boot [/bootflags] device: [program] [options]

The bootflags are VMB-standard flags (for VMS), which may or may
not be supported by the OS.  They are passed to the OS through
CPU register R5.

The "program" argument can be used to tell the boot loader to load
something other than the standard kernel - in case you just built
a non-working kernel, for example ;-)

(mental note: does this ever happen?  _YES_!)

Cheers,
	Fred