Subject: Re: In search of Christopher Willis

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 17:30:11 2003

What is a BBS?
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Steven Leach" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 1:12 PM
Subject: In search of Christopher Willis

> Hello, I know this may be a long shot but I figured I'd try it anyway.
> 
> I figure there is a good chance that someone on the list may know an 
> old friend of mine, Christopher Willis.  I met Chris and his wife Pat 
> (Patricia) on a BBS in southern Ohio.  Chris's impressive collection of 
> computers included an Altair 8800B with a Winchester hard disk, two 8 
> inch drives, and a Televideo 912c terminal.  When Chris joined the navy 
> (I believe this was 1996, though it may have been earlier.. hmm.. maybe 
> 94?) He left the Altair system with me which went into storage at my 
> parents house when I left for college, where It still lives (I'm 
> getting ready to recover it and set it up in my new house soon)
> 
> Other computers in his collection ranged from 8080/z80 boards to 
> various oddball multiuser mini's.  At one point (years before I knew 
> him), I know that he had a collection housed in a warehouse (Many of 
> which he ended up losing eventually).  Among others, this collection 
> included a UNIVAC. [see why I think someone on the list might know him?]
> 
> Over the years, I lost contact with Chris and would love to get ahold 
> of him and Pat again.  If out there could help me track him down it 
> would be greatly appreciated.

---

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu May 15 18:36:10 2003

No I am not kidding..

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Gene Buckle" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2003 7:02 PM
Subject: Re: In search of Christopher Willis

> You're kidding, right?
> g.

---

From: Steven Leach <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:26:07 2003

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:39:28 2003

You're kidding, right?

g.

---

From: Bryan Pope <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:40:09 2003

> No I am not kidding..

ACK!  Excuse me for asking, but have you ever used a computer in the 80's?!
(or earlier...)

BBS = Bulletin Board System.

Computer.  Modem.  Call other computer with modem.  Connect.  ANSI. 
X-modem.  Bliss.

Cheers,

Bryan

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:41:13 2003

> No I am not kidding..

BBS is an acronym for Bulletin Board System.  A BBS is typically a single
user message base/file download system that is accessed by modem.

Check out http://www.bbsdocumentary.com

g.

---

From: Mail List <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:41:46 2003

> A BBS is typically a single user.

I'd seen many a serious, multi line, multi user BBS system in days gone by.

---

From: Don Maslin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:41:54 2003

> user message base/file download system that is accessed by modem.

Sort of a dialup 'website' equivalent without the graphics.  Mostly
files and public email.  There are still a few around.

						- don

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri May 16 10:42:37 2003

> I'd seen many a serious, multi line, multi user BBS system in days gone

I ran a four-line TBBS myself at one point.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:43:45 2003

> I'd seen many a serious, multi line, multi user BBS system in days gone by.

Oh so have I.  I was just trying to provide a minimal example. :)

g.

---

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 16:38:38 2003

OK makes sense.. sort of went the way of the knothole in a tree at the
crossroads... to stick notes in....

---

From: "Thompson Family" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 16:45:33 2003

I'd have to have been alive then.