Subject: Cool Find

From: "Davison, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:43:03 2003

Visiting a charity shop this week I found one of these ..

 http://www.vintagecalculators.com/html/anita_1011_lsi.html

.. an Anita 1011 desktop calculator, 10 digit Nixie display
and all for the sum of Two pounds forty seven pence.

Apart from the rubber feet having melted into a marshmallow
like crusty sludge it's mint condition with the manual and
dust cover. Looks very pretty all lit up.

Lee.

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

---

From: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:43:28 2003

I was considering picking up a VAX 6000-610, let me rephrase
that, I was considering moving a VAX 6000 to my garage, 
somehow, and...  I remember an extensive discussion a while
back about getting Gunther's and perhaps other peoples VAXen
to work on house power.

Can someone supply a summary of how do do so?  A pointer to 
an "eureka" email would suffice if one exists since I have a pretty
good classiccmp archive here.

TIA
John A.

---

From: Gene Buckle <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:43:54 2003

> dust cover. Looks very pretty all lit up.

That's really cool Lee.  I wish I had one. :)

g.
(kc7afe/ag!)

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri May 16 11:44:59 2003

> good classiccmp archive here.

All you do is to hook the two live leads from the dryer plug to the three
live terminals on the 3-phase plug on the VAX.  What I mean is that you
hook phase 1 live and phase 3 live to one live leg of the dryer plug, and
phase 2 to the other live leg.  Then you hook neutral to neutral, ground
to ground, and plug it in.  Then you're good to go.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: "Robert F. Schaefer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed May 21 10:05:25 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2003 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: Dryer outlets and Thyristors

> to ground, and plug it in.  Then you're good to go.

It's been a while since I tamed my VAX 6320, but ISTR that it can be as easy
as taping off one of the three hot legs on the power cord and feeding the
other two with 220V-- it's a full-wave rectifier on the other end.  You
might lose power to part of the internal accessory power strip, though.

> Peace...  Sridhar

Bob

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed May 21 10:06:01 2003

On Sat, 17 May 2003, Robert F. Schaefer wrote:

> > All you do is to hook the two live leads from the dryer plug to the
> > three live terminals on the 3-phase plug on the VAX.  What I mean is
> > that you hook phase 1 live and phase 3 live to one live leg of the
> > dryer plug, and phase 2 to the other live leg.  Then you hook neutral
> > to neutral, ground to ground, and plug it in.  Then you're good to go.
>
> It's been a while since I tamed my VAX 6320, but ISTR that it can be as
> easy as taping off one of the three hot legs on the power cord and
> feeding the other two with 220V-- it's a full-wave rectifier on the
> other end.  You might lose power to part of the internal accessory power
> strip, though.

Which is exactly what my setup would avoid.

Peace...  Sridhar