Subject: New Finds for teh Museum

From: "Keys" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 15 21:31:33 2003

Well the last few days have been fun and I got the following items:
A vintage Hasbro Think-A-Tron toy computer that works great.

An AMIGA A3000 needs some tender loving care, will not power up right now.

A Commodore 1403 monitor.

A Grid notebook model 1660 needs some work.

A digital Decpc XL590 not tested yet.

An AT&T 6310 PC.

Several more mousepads and other items too new to list.

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 15 21:33:29 2003

> A vintage Hasbro Think-A-Tron toy computer that works great.

Cool.

> An AMIGA A3000 needs some tender loving care, will not power up right

No lights?  No nothing?  The A3000 PSU is not exactly the most
robust thing in the world.  It's also small enough that a non-C=
replacement will be troublesome.  I don't recall if that is one
of the models or not, but some C= PSUs provide 60Hz "tick" to
the CIAs (some, like the A500, do not).

-ethan
The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo
http://search.yahoo.com

---

From: "Gary Dean Hildebrand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 15 21:35:19 2003

> the CIAs (some, like the A500, do not). 

I'd just try to find a smaller SMPS that will put out 5v and +/-12v that 
will fit in the box of the original.  ISTR that it is only good for 150 
watts anyway.  Hanging on a larger external PS would be rather tacky.  I'd 
look through Jameco or MPJones catalogs to find such a critter.  Anything 
that is original Amiga is far too much money for what you get. 

Check the PS voltages first before comming yourself to major surgery.  You 
might just have a shorted bypass cap or something else easy to fix. 

The 60Hz 'tick' was on the old CBM 8 bit machines.  They had a seperate 
10vAC input that was tapped for that, as well as provide 12 volts for the 
analog circuitry.  The A500 PS only provided DC voltages. 

Drop me a line off-list if you need any help there. 

Gary Hildebrand
St. Joseph, MO

---

From: Mike Ford <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 04:52:15 2003

Gamestop.com a chain of new/used video game cartridge stores has a cute 
item, looks pretty much exactly like a Atari joystick, but internally its a 
complete console that when hooked to a tv plays about 10 of the classic 
Atari arcade games. Look for Atari TV and its about $20.

---

From: Martin Scott Goldberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 08:03:35 2003

Mike Ford <[email-masked]>
>Atari arcade games. Look for Atari TV and its about $20.

The item has actually been out quite some time now (last November I
believe), and you can get it through Avon and on QVC as well.  It is not
however, a complete console.  They basicly took 10 game roms and ported
the 6507 assembly code to work on a custom IC setup of their own.  There
is no emulator playing actual Atari roms, there are no TIA, 6507 or PIA
chips inside.  In the process of porting over the games, they managed to
screw up a number of things including managing to leave out the original
famous easter egg in Adventure.  For a full review and listing of the many
inherent faults, go ahead and visit:

http://www.backntime.net/Atari%20Interactive/Teninone/Frame10in1.html

For some odd reason as well, somebody decided to include paddle games as
well in the 10 games offered on a joystick setup.

---

From: Joël Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 10:11:31 2003

i'm very interested, what is the price?
thanks

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 16 21:23:01 2003

--- Gary Dean Hildebrand <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Ethan Dicks writes: 
> > I don't recall if that is one of the models or not, but some C= PSUs
> > provide 60Hz "tick" to the CIAs (some, like the A500, do not). 

> analog circuitry.

Not only the 8-bit machines.  The A1000 and A2000 provided 'tick' to
their boards.  The A2000 could be jumpered to not require it (I have
done so for my A2000 in a Bomac (sp?) tower case that I've fitted a
PeeCee PSU in.

The A4000 does not provide tick.  I didn't remember about the A3000.

> The A500 PS only provided DC voltages. 

That much is certainly true.

-ethan