Subject: HP-86B Monitor question

From: "RHahm" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 24 16:58:00 2003

I have acquired an HP-86B. Will this work with any older composite
monochrome monitor with an RCA video in jack or only the HP monitors which
seem to be hard to find?

Thank you

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Mar 24 18:48:32 2003

I haven't tried a "standard" composite monitor I don't think it will work. I KNOW they won't work with an Apple composite monitor. I've also tried them with a multi-sync VGA monitor with a sync on green BNC input and that didn't work either.  There are two HP monitors that will work, the HP 82912 and 82913. The only difference between the two is that the 82912 is smaller. It has about an 8" screen and the 82913 has about a 13" screen.

  Note that the 82912/82913 use a BNC input connector. IIRC the HP-86 uses a RCA (phono-plug) connector. HP uses a cable that has a BNC fitting on one end and a phono plug on the other. Some of the HP 9000 series 200 computers use the same monitors and cable. Some of the 9000 series 300 computers use the same monitor but have BNC connnector so they use a cable with two BNC connectors.

      Joe

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Tue Mar 25 01:58:38 2003

> monochrome monitor with an RCA video in jack or only the HP monitors which

I have a feeling in the back of my mind that the output _is_ composite 
video, but at a strange horizontal scan rate. Which means you can't use 
just any monitor with it.

I have one of the real HP monitors (actually an NEC unit), and 3 HP86Bs. 
Sometime I must dig them out and measure the scan rates, etc.

-tony

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 25 01:58:59 2003

> monochrome monitor with an RCA video in jack or only the HP monitors which

I haven't had my 86A out in a while, but when I did I was using an
Amdek monitor with it, and I believe it was standard horizontal scan
rate.

-Frank McConnell

---

From: "Eric Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 25 01:59:19 2003

Joe Rigdon writes:
>    I haven't tried a "standard" composite monitor I don't think it will
> work. I KNOW they won't work with an Apple composite monitor.

I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine any good reason why it shouldn't
work.

> I've also tried them with a multi-sync VGA monitor with a sync on green
> BNC input and that didn't work either.

Won't work because 99.99% of multi-sync VGA monitors have a minimum
horizontal scan rate of around 31.5 KHz, which is about twice the
standard RS-170 or NTSC horizontal rate.

> There are two HP monitors
> that will work, the HP 82912 and 82913.

Those both operate at standard RS-170 or NTSC rate, as do the Apple
monitors that accept composite video.

---

From: "Wayne M. Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 25 02:05:45 2003

>   Note that the 82912/82913 use a BNC input connector. IIRC 
> the HP-86 uses a RCA (phono-plug) connector. HP uses a cable 
> that has a BNC fitting on one end and a phono plug on the 
> other. Some of the HP 9000 series 200 computers use the same 
> monitors and cable. Some of the 9000 series 300 computers use 
> the same monitor but have BNC connnector so they use a cable 
> with two BNC connectors.
> 
>       Joe
> 

My HP 82912A has an RCA input - maybe that has something to do with the
"A" suffix?

My 86s work with both the Apple and HP composite monitors.  It's the
9920 (aka 9000/220) that uses the 30kHz horizontal sync instead of the
usual 15kHz and requires one of the special HP models, such as the HP
35731A.

-W

---

From: "Bernd Kopriva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Mar 27 12:40:40 2003

I will receive a HP 9000/217 within the next weeks ...
... there will be a 90204A video card included (or maybe a 98627A), but both of them
will not work with a "Standard VGA multisync monitor" ...

>usual 15kHz and requires one of the special HP models, such as the HP
... what card do you mean ?

Is there a video card for my 9000/217, which can be used with a multisync VGA monitor ?

Thanks Bernd

Bernd Kopriva                           Phone: ++49-7195-179452
Weilerstr. 24                             E-Mail: [email-masked]
D-71397 Leutenbach
Germany