Subject: Re: TRS80 mod 4 ver1 video/memory problems

From: Tothwolf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat May 31 18:37:32 2003

On Fri, 30 May 2003, Tony Duell wrote:

> When you reseated socketed chips, did you also do the ones on the FDC
> board? Have you checked -- carefully -- the ribbon cable between the CPU
> and FDC boards? I've had a lot of problems with those cables in M3s and
> M4s.

Speaking of which, whats best to replace these with? Both my model 3 and
model 4 suffer from bad cables.

-Toth

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sat May 31 18:41:10 2003

> model 4 suffer from bad cables.

I believe I've seen that tapewire in at least one catalogue. It was an 
almost-standard part at one time.

However, what I did on my M3 (my M4's cables were OK) was totally 
non-original. I desoldered the connectors from the CPU and FDC PCBs and 
replaced them with SIL 20 pin headers. I then used a 40 way IDC cable 
(like a PC IDE cable) to link them, just using one row of holes in each 
connector (and making sure I picked the right row to have connections 
:-)). Seems to work fine.

-tony