Subject: Re: Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 02:31:28 2003

>Except the dumpster is private property.  Theft pure and simple, in the eyes
>of the law.

I'm not a lawyer, but this might be a regional opinion. I know the cops 
around here at least don't consider it private property unless A: the 
owner of the land chooses to press charges, or B: the property is some 
how restricted access or not normally public access.

So for example, the dumpster I raided the other day, it was in the 
parking lot of a publically accessable and open building (a gym, a 
realtor, and a weight clinic), so the police wouldn't consider that 
private property unless the owner of the land (unlikely to be any of the 
tenants) choose to press tresspassing charges.

But, the dumpster behind the local good will, probably WOULD be 
considered that by the police, because it is in the back parking lot of 
the building (which is not open for customer parking, its only available 
to the public when they are dropping things off), AND, the entire lot is 
chained off when the store is closed.

And of course curbside garbage is always open season around here. The 
only time the cops hassle you on that is if you make a mess. But good 
garbage pickers always make sure they clean up after themselves.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "Robert F. Schaefer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 23:30:00 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "chris" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 10:55 PM
Subject: Re: Locating older systems & parts... (was: RE: making disk images)

> how restricted access or not normally public access.

Cops have a lot of leeway in what they enforce, for good or for bad
(sometimes common sense _does_ prevail!), but ISTR the owner always has the
option of pressing charges.  The cops might not care if they drove past and
saw you, probably wouldn't as it's a frequent passtime of many, but if the
owners called 'em...

> tenants) choose to press tresspassing charges.

I'd say `wouldn't feel the need ot enforce the law' as opposed to `wouldn't
consider that private property'.  If you're drunk and making a mess,
tresspassing would probably come up even if nobody on site complained.

> chained off when the store is closed.

Definintly have to be an in-and-out job here!

> garbage pickers always make sure they clean up after themselves.

Yah.  I live close to OSU campus, in the fall when the kids move out, the
pickings are *fabulous*.  Peaseas, small electronics, clothes, leather
coats, RK05s (honest, a pair of 'em!), all kinds of good stuff.  We take
everything that isn't broken, ripped or damaged, and whatever we don't end
up wanting goes to goodwill.

> -chris

Bob