Subject: Kaypro PC ?

From: "Ernest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jul 23 20:04:21 2003

Kaypro made a computer that they released after their portables but before
their IBM clone. It was in a flat metal case that was shorter and smaller
than their AT case. I can't remember what it was called. I've only seen one
reference to it but the website is gone. Does anyone remember the system
that I'm thinking of? I think (?) that it was an 8086 system but it might
have been a single board Z80.

---

From: "Erik S. Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 20:50:29 2003

Are you thinking of the Kaypro Robbie?

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=278

It doesn't match your description, but it's the only non-suitcase
machine I can remember that wasn't PC compatible.

   Erik Klein
   www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum
   The Vintage Computer Forum

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Ernest
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 11:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Kaypro PC ?

Kaypro made a computer that they released after their portables but
before
their IBM clone. It was in a flat metal case that was shorter and
smaller
than their AT case. I can't remember what it was called. I've only seen
one
reference to it but the website is gone. Does anyone remember the system
that I'm thinking of? I think (?) that it was an 8086 system but it
might
have been a single board Z80.

---

From: "Ernest" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 21:04:27 2003

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Erik S. Klein
> Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2003 9:17 PM
> Subject: RE: Kaypro PC ?

That's a cool looking computer but I discovered that
the system that I was thinking of was the Kaypro Micro 1. 
Does anyone know the general specs for this system? Was it a Z80
based computer?

It's not the Kaypro 1. The Micro 1 doesn't have a screen, and it's
a desktop system that is no taller than a half-height 5.25 drive.

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 21:32:15 2003

I saw a Kaypro PC is a scrap place about two years ago. I don't remmeber
much about it but I think I posted a message here about it. You should be
able to find it in the archives.  IIRC it used an 8086 and had card slots
just like a PC.

     Joe

---

From: Don Maslin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 22:02:01 2003

>    The Vintage Computer Forum

Well, the Robie was certainly conspicuous with its all-black paint
and the two Drivetec floppies in an attached box on top.

Of course, the only suitcase machine that Kaypro built that was PC
compatible (sort of) was the Kaypro 16 that was housed in a
somewhat modified II/2/4/10 case.

						- don