Subject: PIP problem solved on Apple ][ CP/M

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 21 19:25:00 2003

I was finally able to devote some time to my Apple CP/M issues and figured
it out.

It turns out that the version of MS CP/M that I'm using has got the device
identifiers correct, even though Steve Hirsch warned that they were
reversed in Microsoft's implementation.  I apparently have a version where
it is fixed.

I first connected up my laptop to the Super Serial Card in slot #2 and
then tried to PIP RDR:=B:file.  I got a message to the effect that the
RDR: device cannot be written to.  Then I tried to get slick and use STAT
to change the RDR: device to what PUN: was pointed to.  That didn't work.
Then I decided to just try PIPing to the PUN: device and it took, but I
didn't see anything across the serial port.

A little more digging and reading and I verified that, as Steve said, the
Apple ][ CP/M standard is for a serial card in slot 2.  In fact, the
documentation I read indicated that the hardware configuration pretty
much matches that of Apple Pascal.  So I did a STAT DEV: to show me what
devices were connected where.  RDR: was set to PTR: and PUN: was set to
:PTP (presumably Paper Tape Reader and Paper Tape Punch respectively).  So
then I did a STAT VAL: to see what the possible connections were for each
device.  PUN: could be TTY: PTP: UP1: UP2:

I thought for a second and then figured it would be worth a try to see if
UP2: stood for the device in slot 2.  Sure enough it did, and when I tried
a PIP to PUN: it worked.

So I was able to PIP the files directly from disk over the serial port to
my laptop.  Very convenient.

There apparently is a utility that allows you to copy files from CP/M
disks to Apple DOS disks but it must have come on a DOS utility disk that
I just don't have.

I'm sure KERMIT or some sort of X-modem protocol was written that would
have made this a lot easier, but I seem to have misplaced my Apple CP/M
disks.

Oh well.  At least I know how it's done, and this can serve as quick docs
for someone attempting to do the same in the future.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Steven N. Hirsch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Apr 22 06:44:25 2003

> UP2: stood for the device in slot 2.  Sure enough it did, and when I tried

Bingo!  That's the bit I couldn't recall from my own (mis)adventures with 
the Softcard IIe.  I knew that it involved using the second instance (or 
opposite) of ... something (twenty years is a lot of brain cells into the 
bit-bucket).  Glad you have it going.

> my laptop.  Very convenient.

No doubt you are having to use slow baud rates to avoid character loss, 
correct?

> disks to Apple DOS disks but it must have come on a DOS utility disk that

There is a free utility floating around (name slips my mind) which can 
copy between DOS <--> ProDOS <--> Pascal <--> CP/M diskettes.  Perhaps 
someone else can think of the name?

Steve

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 23 12:58:15 2003

> No doubt you are having to use slow baud rates to avoid character loss,

Actually, I had no such problems transferring at 9600 baud.

> someone else can think of the name?

Sweet.  I need that.

--