Subject: New To List and PDP8 Question

From: "Bill Kotaska" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 17:49:50 2003

Hello,
I am new to this group but have been reading the posts occasionally before
finally joining. The site comes up alot when searching for info on old
machines. I am interested in any type of old computer especially the single
board trainer types from the early days of the microprocessors. I have built
my own trainer based on the Intel 4004/4040 and have started to put a web site
together with pics and info. It is in the early stages though -
http://home.earthlink.net/~bkotaska/mcs4_micro.htm . I have also started to
build a PDP8 clone from the Harris/Intersil uPs. Still need to gen up a front
panel for this one. A computer is just not a computer without some kind of
built-in feedback mechanism. (I guess it just makes you feel like you are in
control of the machine instead of the other way around.)

Building the PDP8 has really piqued my interest in the real thing. I've
collected bits and pieces for awhile now and have finally obtained a 4K core
stack - although it is not in great shape (any help in locating a better one
would be greatly appreciated). Anyway my question to you PDP8 folks out there
is this - I have the following pieces: front panel, M8300, M8310, M8320,
M8330, M837, M8650, G104, G227. I also have a 20 slot omnibus backplane from a
PDP8a. My guess is that I should be able to see some action on the front panel
with just the first four modules present (i.e. no memory). Am I correct? I
don't care at first if I can't read or write to memory. I just want to check
out some of the control functions with as little hardware as possible.

By the way, my front panel has mostly light blue and dark blue switch handles.
Anyone seen this before?

Thanks all,
Bill

---

From: Lawrence LeMay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Mar 8 18:53:20 2003

> would be greatly appreciated).

I usually just buy the core stacks from DEC resellers. You pay a bit
more, but you generally get something that has been cared for and
works.

> Anyway my question to you PDP8 folks out there

Are you saying you have a case/power supply and omnibus? Or are you
trying to cobble something together without case/ps?

One of the main problems I had with my first 8/E, was that most of the front
panel bulbs were burned out. Probably because once a few burn out, the voltage
rises on the others causing them to burn out faster.

> By the way, my front panel has mostly light blue and dark blue switch handles.

Yes. Did you buy it on ebay about a year ago?

-Lawrence LeMay

---

From: "Bill Kotaska" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 12:18:31 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence LeMay" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 6:49 PM
Subject: Re: New To List and PDP8 Question

> more, but you generally get something that has been cared for and
The resellers I have contacted have no more of these.
> trying to cobble something together without case/ps?
Cobble together is a very good way to describe what I am trying to do. I
wish I had a case/power supply but don't and can't believe what systems are
fetching on eBay. I guess I just have a burning desire to see one actually
work (I love blinkenlights!)

> rises on the others causing them to burn out faster.
My panel has bulbs and I plan to gently apply the supply to these for the
first time until I see what it takes to turn them on.

Bill

---

From: "Stuart Johnson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Mar 9 23:31:11 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Kotaska" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 5:42 PM
Subject: New To List and PDP8 Question

> machines. I am interested in any type of old computer especially the
single
<SNIP>
> Bill

Bill,

Welcome to the list. I looked at you site and your 4004/4040 project and it
is very nice! Your web site is well organized and easy to navigate. One of
these days I'm going to document some of my toys and build a site to display
them. At least, I keep telling myself that :-)

Stuart Johnson