Subject: Cambridge (the UK one! :) computer companies

From: Jules Richardson<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:58:20 2003

Hi all,

I do occasional volunteer work for a technology museum in Cambridge - one of
the things they're interested in doing (once some new storage is put in so that
things can be moved around) is putting on an exhibit showing the history of
computing in the Cambridge area.

At present I'm really after suggestions of machines to look out for (and
machines themselves if it's that or they go to the tip!) - other than Acorn,
Sinclair and Torch from personal experience I'm not sure who was really active
in this region, and know basically nothing of what went on in the 60's and 70's
around here. I expect some of you UK guys know the history of the British
computing scene pretty well though.

I already have plenty of Sinclair and Acorn machines (I picked up yet another
BBC Master along with a more modern A3020 and Risc PC only yesterday) but will
have to be on the lookout for other systems of local significance over the
coming weeks.

cheers

Jules

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

---

From: "Witchy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 18 10:13:57 2003

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Jules Richardson
> Sent: 17 June 2003 15:10
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Cambridge (the UK one! :) computer companies
>

3 more spring to mind - Enterprise, Camputers and Newbury Labs all had
facilities in Cambridge (the Silicon Fen IIRC :). You've got a lot of
research to do though - I've been told by someone who used to work at
Intelligent Software (creators of the Enterprise) AND Newbury that there
were 142 computer related companies in Cambridge when he left IS!

cheers

--
adrian/witchy
www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk - the online computer museum
www.snakebiteandblack.co.uk - monthly gothic shenanigans

---

From: Stan Barr <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 18 10:15:08 2003

Hi,

> in this region, and know basically nothing of what went on in the 60's and 70's

IIRC Comart were in St. Neots, or is that too far away??

-- 
Cheers,
Stan Barr  [email-masked]

The future was never like this!

---

From: John Honniball <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 18 10:15:30 2003

Jules Richardson wrote:
> machines themselves if it's that or they go to the tip!)

Well, all of the Sinclair and Acorn machines are pretty obvious
candidates.  But then there's also Science of Cambridge with the MK14,
Jupiter Cantab with the Jupiter Ace, and H&H with the Tiger.

--
John Honniball
[email-masked]