Subject: Using the PCI Catweasel in a Mac

From: Tim Mann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri Jun 20 17:22:54 2003

Al Kossow wrote:
> > Can the PCI version of the Catweasel be used in a Mac?
> 
> I'll be working on this in the next couple of weeks, starting
> from Tim's code.

Cool, let me know how it goes.  Be sure to start with the latest version;
I just released v3.2 yesterday.

Here are the challenges I see:

- You need to scan the PCI bus for the card.  I have two sets of
routines in the code for that, one that uses an interface provided by
Linux, one that calls into the PCI BIOS for use in the MS-DOS version of
the tools. You'll probably need a third set for the BSD-based MacOS X. 
Hopefully it provides such routines.

- You need to persuade the OS to let you access the hardware directly. 
If you can't do that, you'll need to restructure things so that the code
that accesses the hardware is properly isolated in a device driver.

- If there's too much else running on the machine, a couple of places
where I spin waiting for something to happen may miss the event.  This
probably won't be a problem, especially if you use the default index
hole to index hole reading mode, which waits for the index hole in
hardware.

Once you're done I'd like to look at folding your changes into my
version.

-- 
Tim Mann  [email-masked]  http://www.tim-mann.org/

---

From: Al Kossow <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 21 18:13:19 2003

> You need to scan the PCI bus for the card.
> You need to persuade the OS to let you access the hardware directly.

I was going to do this under OS9, since I already have code to do the
device tree scanning, and there isn't a problem touching hardware directly :-)