Subject: Xebec MFM Controller

From: [email-masked] (Dr. Alexander J. Hoffmann)
Date: Sat Jul 5 15:45:31 2003

I just owned a 5160 XT IBM. I got the described Xebec Controller. I got the
problem, that error 1701 while booting appears.

Now I want to do a low level format. But all Debug Addresses like C800:5 or
C800:6 or CE00:5 don´t let the format utility of eprom start.
What have i done wrong ? What kind of software could I use and where can I get
it ? And what´s the correct address ??
I ´ve got a Seagate ST412.
Could you be so nice to send me the softwareutility or / and the correct
address of the internal bios lowlevel format utility ???

Thanx in advance

You´re my last hope.

Alex

---

From: Fred Cisin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 21:18:16 2003

> address of the internal bios lowlevel format utility ???

For the IBM version of the Xebec controller (as opposed to Xebec ones for
XT sold by anybody other than IBM), you are supposed to use the "Advanced
Diagnostics" (NOT the "Diagnostics" that came with the machine, but the
ones that came with the maintenance and repair manual (NOT the "Technical
Reference"))

IBM intended the low level formatting to be done by their technicians,
NOT by end users.

Alternatively,
MOST people consider SpeedStor to be a significantly better way to do the
low level formatting.

---

From: Harsha Godavari <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 5 21:18:22 2003

Download SEAGATE'S lowlevel format utility SGTFMT4.ZIP (53.8k) from
http://www.simtel.net/pub/pd/44430.html. That should do the job.

Regards
Harsha Godavari