Subject: IBM PC3270 (5271) keyboard connector?

From: "Dr. Ido" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 21 18:14:21 2003

I just picked up an IBM PC3270 with the 122 key keyboard. The 122 key
keyboard has a 5 pin connector, but the pins are in different positions so
it won't plug into to the keyboard socket as is.  I assume there is an
adapter that it usually included.  Does anyone have the pinout?

It does boot with a standard XT keyboard, but give a 302 error.  It would
be nice to use the original keyboard if I can.

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sat Jun 21 18:16:24 2003

> be nice to use the original keyboard if I can. 

I can't rememebr if it's this machine, but one of the more 'exotic' 
original PCs has a somewhat strange keyboard conenction.

There's a card in one of the expansion slots which contains (at least) an 
8051 microcontroller. It has a couple of DE9 connectors on the bracket 
with one hole (at least) blanked off in each one). There's a 3-ended 
cable that connected to one of the DE9s, to the keyboard connector on the 
motherboard, and to the cable from the special keyboard.

_Somewhere_ I have that cable, but don't expect me to find it in the next 
year or so. If I do find it, I'll buzz it out and post the wirelist.

-tony

---

From: "Fred Cisin (XenoSoft)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jun 21 18:16:39 2003

> motherboard, and to the cable from the special keyboard.

... and somebody else told me that that card is meant to go into the
"special" slot of the XT (in place of the serial card place holder)

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Sat Jun 21 18:17:26 2003

> "special" slot of the XT (in place of the serial card place holder)

I can't see why it would _have_ to go in that slot (unless it's something 
like the cable will only reach to the motherboard keyboard socket if it's 
there :-)) but I can well believe it can assert pin B8 and therefore 
would work in that slot....

I mentioned I had the cable. I have the card and keyboard as well. I will 
have to dig them out _sometime in the distant future_ and investigate

-tony

---

From: "Dr. Ido" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Jun 23 16:12:21 2003

>have to dig them out _sometime in the distant future_ and investigate

I've found the cable, so no need to go digging.  Once I had that card out
and noticed one of the connectors was marked kbd I knew what to look for.
Prior to that I thought it was just an adapter.  Any idea what the other
connector on that card is for?  It's marked S.PORT from memory.  

Any idea if the video card can do graphics at all?  I vaguely remember
seeing CGA on one once, but while the card is detected at CGA any attempt
to use a graphics mode gets me a blank screen.