Subject: RE: dos 1.0

From: J Forbes <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat Jul 26 20:44:17 2003

> At 10:22 PM 7/22/03 -0700, you wrote:
> 

>>>The IBM PC DOS 1.00 manual seems to be quite rare indeed...the 1.10 
>>>version is not hard to find.  What's fun is getting either running on a 
>>>hard drive in a 5150  :)
> 
> 
>    That would be interesting especailly since neither version supported
> sub-directories!
> 
>     Joe

I have a 5150 with a Davong hard drive, with an external power supply 
(the 5150 63 watt ps was not quite up to the task), running PC DOS 1.10. 
  There was software provided by Davong with the necessary modified DOS 
files to make it work.  The drive is partitioned, with no directories, 
ie. all the files in each drive are in the root area.  The computer 
boots from a special floppy disk, and goes to the a: prompt which is the 
first partition on the hard drive...and c: is the floppy drive...rather 
odd for a PC user, but not so odd for a Kaypro 10 user.

<http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2/old5150/index.html>

shows more.

-- 
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2