Subject: RX02 and catweasel (Was 8" drive hooked up to a PC)

From: Tim Mann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Jun 8 18:11:03 2003

Ethan Dicks wrote:
> The data-portion of the RX02 is what a PeeCee FDC can't digest.  It
> *might* be possible to program an Amiga to digest RX02 disks (it also
> lacks a dedicated FDC - it uses a 4096-bit shift register in the sound
> chip to import the data, and (for MFM formats) miniterms applied by
> the graphics co-processor to translate back and forth to plain binary
> data).  The Catweasel should be able to handle it, but, as has been
> hashed out here before, you'd have to roll your own with it; the software
> support is severely lacking compared to the capability of the hardware.

If anyone is interested in reading RX02 format with a Catweasel, I've
been down this road.  My software for the Catweasel can read and write
these disks.  You can download it from my Web page.

If you hate the Catweasel for some reason (I seem to draw hostility when
I post about it here), you're also free to grab my software and adapt it
to other hardware that can sample floppy drive output.

-- 
Tim Mann  http://www.tim-mann.org/

---

From: Al Kossow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 10 10:50:02 2003

I seem to draw hostility when
I post about it here

--

I don't understand that at all.. I've read hundreds of discs with
it, and other that it being fairly slow, works pretty well.

Getting your software working on a PCI Mac with the new version
of the card, as well as adding hard-sectored and M2FM support is
on my list to do.