Subject: Alpha Micro 1000?

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 00:06:01 2003

Is anyone familar with this system? I can't find anything on AM's site
and only one brief description on the net. I know it runs AMOS and has a
68000 CPU. This one has a 190 Mb hard drive and appears to have 4 Mb of
RAM. It also has a PIICEON add-in card that adds 8 additional serial ports.
It's also hanging up with a status code of 6 when I power it up. There' s
no terminal attached so that MIGHT be the problem. I found a manula for a
new AM system and it doesn't list a stat code of 6. Does anyone have a list
of the codes for this system?

  Anybody know where I can find an Owner's or user's manual for this? Or
what are the Video In, Video Out and Video I/O ports for?

     Joe

---

From: "SP" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 00:14:09 2003

Sorry. I have one Banner Ad of this system from 198x. Is one of my
first computing papers. There was one company long time closed
here in Spain that marketed Alpha Micro machines. Nothing more.

GReetings

Sergio

---

From: "Jay West" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 00:17:26 2003

many alpha micro systems also ran Pick, not just AMOS. You could specify which
OS at time of order (we used to be a dealer for them)

Jay
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: SP
  To: [email-masked]
  Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 3:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Alpha Micro 1000?

  GReetings

  Sergio

---

From: Joe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 00:19:04 2003

Sergio,
 
  Thanks for the reply. Does your ad give any details about the ssytem? AM
is still in business here in the US and they have some manuals on-line but
nothing about the AM-1000.

    Joe

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 00:23:00 2003

> what are the Video In, Video Out and Video I/O ports for?

Hey Joe.

I have a few of these systems, and a wall of documentation.  When I first
acquired one of these (I think it was the model 1000 as well) I checked
around and found that they still had offices in business.  So I e-mailed
(or called?  I can't remember...) one ofof them and the tech support guys
were pretty cool.  They gave me some basic information and said if I
needed any help getting it running to let them know.

Much later I was put in touch with one of last--if not the last--Alpha
Micro service centers in California, right here in the SF Bay Area.  Some
new folks were moving into the offices where the AM office used to be and
the AM guys just left everything (98% documentation and software).  I
pretty much cleaned out the office of everything of use, including a
literal wall of documentation and some software on VHS (yes, the video
ports are to connect to a VCR for not only backup purposes but also to
bootstrap the system OS).

I have manuals for both AMOS and Pick, plus hardware manuals for all their
various models (1000, 1200, etc.) as well as the various interfaces for
different subsystems (disk, tape, etc.).

Since I owe you a few favors, let me know what you want and I'll make some
photocopies.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *