Subject: Re: Oldest computer still in current use

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:54:34 2003

>What about the computer sent out in the Voyager spacecraft in the 70's? Or
>is this just personal computers?

Well, for my question, it doesn't matter if it is personal computer or a 
mainframe or whatever.

Although I would rule out the Voyager computer for two reasons. 1: You 
can't say for sure that it is still running (is it still sending back 
data?) and 2: Its only still running because no one shut it off.

However, I WOULD consider any original ground based systems that are 
still in use listening for data from Voyager to be valid. At least they 
are still serving a purpose even if they aren't getting any data.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: "TeoZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:54:45 2003

Wether its sending back data is mute since its too far away for that data to
get to us. Its missin was to send back data on everything it found, why
would that misson ever end since its still moving through space?

I dont understand your logic. The Voyager is ruled out because it might be
too far away to have its valid data (stuff it was made to send back on
purpose) get back to us, but the recieving equipment that will never get any
data back since the signal isnt getting back is still a valid system?

Would an old obsolete college computer that runs a 300 baud bbs still be
valid if nobody knows about it, or even called it and the college forgot to
shut it down in the last 40 years?

If somebody fires up an old 50's analog computer in a museum just to see if
it still kicks is it really "in use"?

---

From: "J.C. Wren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:54:50 2003

This mission would end because the Radio Thermal Isotope Generators (RTGs) 
died.  No power, no radio transmission, no matter how good the receiver is.  
And if I recall correctly, the reason we can't currently hear it is because 
the high gain antenna is not dead-nuts on towards earth, because of the plane 
of the ecleptic, or some such.  

	--John

On Sunday 11 May 2003 00:10 am, TeoZ wrote:
> Wether its sending back data is mute since its too far away for that data
> to get to us. Its missin was to send back data on everything it found, why
> purpose) get back to us, but the recieving equipment that will never get
> any data back since the signal isnt getting back is still a valid system?
>
> > >What about the computer sent out in the Voyager spacecraft in the 70's?
>
> Or
>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun May 11 19:55:01 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003, chris wrote:

> >Or is this just personal computers?
>

Both Voyager spacecraft are still transmitting.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun May 11 19:55:06 2003

On Sun, 11 May 2003, TeoZ wrote:

> Wether its sending back data is mute since its too far away for that
> data to get to us. Its missin was to send back data on everything it
> found, why would that misson ever end since its still moving through
> space?

I believe we can still discern Voyager signal.  I don't know if we're
going anything with it, but I'd imagine it would be useful to have a view
from outside the solar system.

> I dont understand your logic. The Voyager is ruled out because it might
> be too far away to have its valid data (stuff it was made to send back
> on purpose) get back to us, but the recieving equipment that will never
> get any data back since the signal isnt getting back is still a valid
> system?

The whole point is if its data isn't being received, it isn't really doing
useful work for us.

> valid if nobody knows about it, or even called it and the college forgot
> to shut it down in the last 40 years?

No.  It isn't doing useful work.

> If somebody fires up an old 50's analog computer in a museum just to see
> if it still kicks is it really "in use"?

Again, it isn't doing useful work.  There are '60's era computers still
doing real work.  I know of at least two which are still performing the
same duties for which they were originally installed.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun May 11 19:55:38 2003

> data?) and 2: Its only still running because no one shut it off.

A computer is a computer whether it has an on/off switch, is sitting on
your lap, or whizzing through space a billion miles away.

> are still serving a purpose even if they aren't getting any data.

I am inclined to believe there may still be some ground systems for the
Space Shuttle program that are run on 8080 based machines.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun May 11 19:56:11 2003

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:

> > still in use listening for data from Voyager to be valid. At least
> > they are still serving a purpose even if they aren't getting any data.
>

IBM still uses 6502-based STDBUS machines for industrial control in fully
operational settings.

Peace...  Sridhar

---

From: Mark Tapley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri May 16 10:19:54 2003

>I believe we can still discern Voyager signal.

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/

http://sse.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/jup_missns/jup-p10.html

Both Voyagers and one Pioneer are still being tracked, daily for the
Voyagers and "occasionally" for Pioneer 10. All are looking for the point
where the solar wind finally gets overwhelmed by the local interstellar
medium flow (there should be a bow shock in the "upwind" direction). The
main instrument being used for the search is a magnetometer, which should
register a change in the local magnetic field when the spacecraft crosses
the bow shock.

Bit rates are very very low (bits per minute type thing, don't know exactly
but can find out if you are interested.)

The science being addressed is something we have no other way of observing
in situ (remote observing missions are being planned) so it's still in
practical use if you regard basic scientific research as "practical" (I do,
but then, I would).

Pioneer 10 was launched 02-Mar-1972, and it's questionable whether you want
to claim it contains a "computer" anyway, so it's maybe not relevant to the
original question.
							- Mark