Subject: Favorite Terminal Emulator

From: "Erik S. Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:41:25 2003

Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?

I've been evaluating several but I haven't come across any with every
terminal I'd like to emulate and every feature I've been looking for.
Tiger Term - http://www.tigerterm.co.uk <http://www.tigerterm.co.uk/>
is my current favorite but it's missing a few terminal emulations that
I'd prefer (VT100 being the most important).

Any package I consider would support most vintage terminal types and
ascii file transfers as well as a few more common protocols (XModem,
Kermit, etc.)

So, does anyone have a favorite for when they aren't firing up there
ADM3A or VT52?

   Erik

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:41:31 2003

> Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?

TeraTerm

I'm currently trying to find a good one for Mac OS X that doesn't cost an
arm and a leg.  I think I'll be going with 'dataComet', though 'iTerm' seems 
to be almost good enough.

		Zane

---

From: John Lawson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:41:37 2003

> So, does anyone have a favorite for when they aren't firing up there

  Van Dyke's CRT.    I love it, been using it for over two years

Cheers

John

---

From: Roger Merchberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:41:48 2003

>Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?

NetTerm. They make both a normal & ssh-based terminal emulator, and the 
normal one also works thru the comport. The downside is: it takes a fair 
amount of futzing to get the comport stuff working just right, but the 
upside is that it's super-configurable, and has every emulation known to 
man (that I've seen, anyway...)

You can also configure the keyboard seperate to the emulation (say, an ANSI 
emulation with an XTERM keyboard layout), and it comes with a keyboard 
config utility to fine-tune _that_ to do just ezactly what you need.

My friend uses TeraTerm -- I didn't like it as much (not powerful enough 
for the different systems I use) but it's easier to set up (he's blind, and 
it was a lot easier for him to navigate) WRT fonts & comport usage.

www.netterm.com -- time-unlimited shareware (one nag screen when you exit 
each login window you have open) somewhere around $30 for the non-SSH 
version, $60 for the SSH version. Never tried to do any comport stuff with 
the SSH version, so I dunno if it'll suit your needs...

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html -- Freeware, (can't 
argue the price!) does have VT100, but webpage last updated: Aug. 9, 1999. 
Win32 software last updated: Mar 10, 1998  (1/2 way to being ontopic!!! ;-) 
Good news: Source code is available, and the win3.1 version is written in 
Pascal!

Anywho, HTH! Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

---

From: Frank McConnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:41:54 2003

> Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?

For serial: TeraTerm

For network (only): PuTTY

I haven't really needed either to emulate anything other than
something VT100ish.

For HP terminal emulation, Telnet or serial: AICS Research's
QCTerm.

-Frank McConnell

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:42:05 2003

> Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?

ProComm.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:42:11 2003

>   Van Dyke's CRT.    I love it, been using it for over two years

Truly totally rocks.  I use Van Dyke's SecureCRT and SecureFX (secure
FTP).  Worth every nickel I paid (about $110 for both during a special
they were running).

--

---

From: David Holland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:42:23 2003

Good ol' Telix works in a Dos window.. :-)

According to my usage log, I'm still using the same binaries I downloaded
in 94. 

David

---

From: Ethan Dicks <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:42:28 2003

> Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?

Kermit.

-ethan

---

From: Kevin Handy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:42:34 2003

>Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?
Of those I've tried, Kermit95 has given me the fewest problems.

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 00:42:46 2003

> Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?

The only emulation I need done under Windows is for telnet and SSH sessions.
I have to use telnet to login to my home Linux box from work to do the
occasional email reading.  SSH to the outside world is firewalled into
oblivion.  Thankfully, I was able to use the S/Key one-time password system,
which provides enough security for my tastes.

BTW, I use PuTTY for this emulation.  I'm sure it is nowhere near as
full-featured as TeraTerm or CRT.

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: "Bruce Lane" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 13 01:03:10 2003

Good eve,

*********** REPLY SEPARATOR  ***********

>Does anyone have a favorite Windows based terminal emulator?

	Yes indeed. CRT, by Van Dyke Software. Not only can it handle serial, and a nice VT100 emulation at that, it also does Telnet and TAPI. Shareware at about $30 or so.

	My fallback is Procomm Plus for Windows. Kind of hard to find, but still very useful.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
ARS KC7GR (Formerly WD6EOS) since 12-77 -- [email-masked]
"I'll get a life when someone demonstrates that it would be superior
to what I have now..." (Taki Kogoma, aka Gym Z. Quirk)