Subject: Re: Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail? (Was: stepping machanism

From: "Hurd, Kenneth Steven CIV" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 11 22:23:16 2003

Hello,

	Do you know how to get ignore as one of the error prompts along with abort,
fail, retry?

	I could not find the answer in DOS help.

	Thank you.

	Ken.

---

From: "Fred Cisin (XenoSoft)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Jun 11 22:40:26 2003

> 	I could not find the answer in DOS help.

YOU don't.
Based on the type of error, the DOS "critical error handler" displays all
of the options that it thinks are aprropriate for the current problem.
If IGNORE isn't showing up, then it is explicitly because IGNORE is not an
appropriate way to handle that error.
For example, if you try to copy a file and DOS gets a "Sector Not
Found" while reading the DIRectory to find the file, then IGNOREing the
error and copying the file even though it was not found is not a viable
option.

What version of DOS are you dealing with?
What kind of error are you trying to sweep under the rug?

If you still want to IGNORE the error, and pretend that everything worked
when it really didn't, AND DESTROY ALL REMAINING INTEGRITY OF YOUR DATA,
then you can write a TSR that contains a critical error handler that
replaces the stock one, and intercept the interrupt.

PCTools did that, in order to prevent "Abort, Retry, Ignore" messages from
messing up their screen displays.  They caused millions of dollars worth
of damage to data, including thousands of dollars worth of damage in my
company.  May they be stuck in MICROS~1 operating systems for the rests of
their hopefully short miserable lives.