Subject: Digi-Comp I re-issue viability; recent auctions; friendsofdigicom p

From: "McNerney, Tim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jul 22 19:32:47 2003

On the topic of the viability of a Digi-Comp I re-issue...

In the past three months, two kits have been put up for auction on eBay.
One fetched over $421.50.  Most recently, an usassembled kit went for 
$148.50 after 22 bids by 10 distinct bidders.

I personally have always wished for a "version 2," with tighter tolerances,
smoother action, and perhaps even 4 "flip-flops" instead of the standard 3.

Brass or aluminum instead of plastic would add an especially nice touch.
After all, who's wife is going to let her husband display a plastic computer
in the living room?  On the other hand, a nice polished brass model in a
glass case...

FYI, there is a YahooGroups group named "friendsofdigicomp" with 178
members.

Oh, right.... So why am I posting to the Classic Computing mailing list?
Because a ClassicCmp member wrote me to say:

   "One person I know has taken molds from his example 
   and is planng on re-issuing it as a kit."

Whoever you are, I thought you'd be interested in the present
supply-and-demand
situation.  

A limited run of 100 at $50 a piece would probably sell-out without too much
effort.
My impression is that the vast majority of the friendsofdigicomp group
members
-don't- have one anymore.  (Mine got thrown away when we moved in 1971...)

Regards,

--Tim McNerney
  Newton, MA

Postscripts...

Recently someone submitted a schematic of the Digi-Comp I electronic
equivalent
to friendsofdigicomp.  I believe you need to join the group to view this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/friendsofdigicomp/files/DC1-PLA.pdf 

BTW, I have DXF format CAD models of all the plastic parts, but only in 2D.
There are scans of the plastic parts and manuals at the YahooGroups site.