Subject: Re: Depressing realization...

From: "James B. DiGriz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun Apr 27 06:37:08 2003

VaxCat wrote:
> So I pick up this spiffy complete II gs system the other night.
> 
> While testing it, I pull out some of my old Apple disks and find
> zlink.
> 
> I hook up my old Everex 2400 modem, run zlink, type in ATDT and...
> 
> (pause)
> 
> There's nothing left to call.
> 
> 
> Anthony Clifton
> 
> 

Try 1-912-653-5138.

DragonsWeb Labs BBS           (just started)
MBSE 0.37.3 (Linux-i386)
General Science, Engineering, and Technology BBS, with a subemphasis on 
classic computers and computing, including BBS'ing. TI 99=4/A and Myarc 
9640 support, others planned. Fido 1:123/755

The USBBS List has more dialable boards, of course. They're out there, 
just harder to find now. Telnet-only BBSes are growing by leaps and 
bound right now, but I felt I needed a dialup for people with old 
systems to use.

I have a working IIe, a IIc, and a Mac SE here, among all the other 
stuff, including a mini (TI DS990/10). Not a lot of Apple software, but 
at some point, I'm going to try to link as many of the old systems as I 
can into the BBS and provide some kind of terminal interface to them.

So your despondence is maybe a little premature. :-)

later,
jbdigriz

---

From: chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:30:41 2003

>It uses ADB mouse and keyboard so if you have that your set. Monitor is
>probably the only problem. An old mac monitor would probably work.

No, it probably won't work with a mac montior. The Mac uses a different 
style RGB.

But, the IIgs does have composite video as well as RGB, so you can always 
use the composite video in absence of the right RGB monitor.

Mac ADB keyboards and mice are fully compatible with the IIgs.

-chris
<http://www.mythtech.net>

---

From: Cameron Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:31:32 2003

> No, it probably won't work with a mac montior. The Mac uses a different 

There is a IIgs-specific monitor available (pity they use the same plug, it
confuses a lot of people) -- I think it's called the AppleColour RGB. It took
me a little while to track one down, but it's well worth it (especially in
GS/OS).

> use the composite video in absence of the right RGB monitor.

Yep, a friend of mine uses a Commodore 1702 with his.

-- 
----------------------------- personal page: http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * [email-masked]
-- When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly. -----------------------

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:32:23 2003

> No, it probably won't work with a mac montior. The Mac uses a different

I can factually attest to this since I tried a Mac RGB monitor on a //gs
the other day and it didn't work (wrong frequency it seems).

> use the composite video in absence of the right RGB monitor.

True.  But it makes a difference when you have an RGB display.

> Mac ADB keyboards and mice are fully compatible with the IIgs.

Yep.

-- 

Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Man of Intrigue and Danger                http://www.vintage.org

 * Old computing resources for business and academia at www.VintageTech.com *

---

From: "Zane H. Healy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:32:57 2003

> > Mac ADB keyboards and mice are fully compatible with the IIgs.

I prefer to say that IIgs ADB keyboards are fully compatible with Mac's :^)
What can I say, for a Mac that you don't use much, those tiny keyboards are
*NICE*.  I've got one sitting on my Audio Workstation (PowerMac 8500/180).

			Zane

---

From: Vintage Computer Festival <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:34:06 2003

> me a little while to track one down, but it's well worth it (especially in

Yap, I just brought one home today and it looks quite nice.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get this SCSI card working with the
CD-ROM.  It's a Rev-A and I read on the web that Rev-B fixed some problems
with using the card on a GS.  Has anyone got any info on this?

--

---

From: VaxCat <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:50:00 2003

(pause)

Anthony Clifton

---

From: Dan Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:50:18 2003

> There's nothing left to call.
Maybe some internet software for the ][GS? Look at
http://www.geeks.org/~taubert/gstcp/

Dan Smith

---

From: "John Allain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:50:35 2003

Thanks for the insight.  Anywhere in the world as a local
call (Internet) is pretty tough competition.

I do see that there are multitudinous hits on 'Telephone Line 
Simulator' on Yahoo.  You could connect two machines in your
home without a real phonecall.

John A.

---

From: Dan Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:50:54 2003

> home without a real phonecall.

Years and years ago now I ran a BBS system on an Apple ][+. 4 floppy drives,
48k of ram and a blazing 300 baud modem. Later the board moved to a ][e with
128k ram, 4 floppies and a 10 meg HD. Got quite a deal on the HD, only
$1500.00. I was sure no one person could possibly fill a drive that big with
around the house kinda stuff.

Dan Smith

---

From: Jeffrey Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon Apr 28 01:54:57 2003

> There's nothing left to call.

An interesting development I'm seeing in telephone service (at least, here
in Oklahoma) is the land line telcos offering unlimited nationwide long
distance calling for a flat monthly fee.  I presume this is an attempt to
compete with cell phone companies, with whom such service is the norm.

A side effect of the service, if indeed it is being offered in most areas of
the country, might be a renaissance of the dialup BBS in the USA.  A lack of
LD charges is also a lack of economic boundaries between BBS communities,
enabling a level of interconnection we have seen only on the Internet thus
far.  The service may also enable other enthusiast dialup activity,
including UUCP networking.

I'm very tempted to sign on to this service.  Back in my BBS days, I lived
in a rural town of about 1200 people that was not a member of any LATA.  Any
call out of the town's 867 prefix was a LD call.  There were, of course, no
BBSes reachable without a LD call, so BBSing was a very rare pleasure.  It
would be quite cool to be able to make up for all that lost experience!

As a neat note, all the numbers in that town were in the 4000-5999 range.
There was an 867-5309, which matches the name of a song that was popular
some years ago.  Folklore says that it used to be the number of the grade
school cafeteria, but that may be a myth.  Families of two of my friends
from high school, however, did take a turn each of having that number.  They
reported occasional calls from strangers asking for Jenny (who, I guess, was
a character in the song).  IIRC, one of these friends may have used an
answering machine greeting specially tailored to entertain these callers.

-- 
Jeffrey Sharp

---

From: "Hans Franke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed Apr 30 00:36:51 2003

> There's nothing left to call.

Hey, Tony, if you don't mind international calls, then there's
still the CSS Base in Seeshaupt, a beautiful little vilage in
the hills between the Starnberger See (yes, where the fairy
tale King Ludwig died) and the Bavarian Alps. Some say this
area is a bit outdated ... other just love the old flair :)

+49/8801-2453

Gruss
H.

--
VCF Europa 4.0 am 03./04. Mai 2003 in Muenchen
http://www.vcfe.org/