Subject: Epson HX-20 problem

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:45:30 2003

Does anybody know how to fix the classic protable Epson HX-20?

This is my part of collections, I know it's work fine before.  When I tried to 
switch on the machine last week, (it was after 15 hrs charged), the LCD didn't 
show up and there was no response on the contrast wheel.  But I still tried to 
key in something, like "SOUND 10,10" and "LPRINT A", there was a beep sound and 
the text printed from the mini-printer.  Then I plug in the AC adapter again 
and tried to switch 'on and off' many times on the startup switcher, the LCD 
worked again.  At that time I thought the problem is solved.

After one day later, the problem happened again, I needed to switch on and off 
many times to make the machine wake up.  I am sure the machine is work on the 
first switch, because the computer responded my key strokes but the LCD still 
sleep.

Really want to know what's happened on this machine and how to check/fix it?

Thanks

Man

---

From: [email-masked] (Tony Duell)
Date: Thu Jun 19 17:14:37 2003

> worked again.  At that time I thought the problem is solved.

Do you know that the battery is good? IIRC, on these amchines, most of 
the logic chips run directly off the battery (which is a 4.8V NiCd unit), 
but there's a little SMPSU circuit for the -ve rail for the RS232 port 
and the LCD. Maybe the latter isn't starting up correctly due to battery 
problems, or something.

-tony