Subject: Re: PET 2001 16 N Mystery

From: "Dwight K. Elvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu Jul 31 21:21:37 2003

>From: [email-masked]
>
>> I wish to pose this question with the hope that there is someone 
>> else who has had the same thing happen to them, and/or can suggest 
>> a cause/fix..
>> 
>> I have a Commodore PET 2001 16 N.  Whenever I try to write or read 
>> from tape (using 1530 drive) the computer freezes up and I am forced 
>> to turn off/on.  After powering the unit back on, the screen is filled 
>
>This sounds like a power supply problem -- the extra load of the tape 
>drive motor is pulling the unregulated supply down, which is then 
>causeing the 5V line to drop too low.
>
>Many PETs have a white Molex 0.156" power connector on the mainboard, the 
>socket part of which is wired to the transformer and smoothing capacitors 
>mounted seprately in the case. This connector is somewhat under-rated, 
>and tends to go high resistance and overheat. If the plastic has started 
>to turn brown, this is one of your problems.

Hi
 Put DC#4 on the pins and don't worry about it.
Dwight

>
>Either replace the connector, or remove it completely and solder the 
>wires directly to the main PCB (you might then want to add an in-line 
>connector of a suitable rating to aid future servicing).
>
>Also, check the smoothing capacitors (particularly the large ones mounted 
>off the main PCB). It's possible one of those has dried up.
>
>-tony