Subject: RE: Monitor screen width adjustment?

From: "Davison, Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 4 12:43:23 2003

> I've got a Sinclair (well, Amstrad really, but it has
> Sinclair printed on the front) monitor here, which
> claims to be a QL monitor. To the extent that it has a
> captive QL-specific signal lead...

> However, the display is too wide, and marginally
> extends past the bezel in both directions; only by
> about 1/4 of one character or so, but just enough 
> to be seriously annoying.

> So, is it the case that I cannot adjust the h.size?
> Is it a case of go rooting around looking for the
> component (a resistor, I assume) which sets this,
> and replace it with a pot?

On all the Amsturd monitors I've had the width is fixed
and can not be easily adjusted. It's not a pot or resistor
that you're looking for, it's a coil, usually about 1/2"
to 1" in diameter and with a ferrite I core. If you're
lucky it will have an adjustable core but I have yet
to see one in an Amsturd.

If you find the coil (you can tell because bringing a
metal tool up to it will change the width/centering) you
may get away with glueing a lump of ferrous or non ferrous
metal to it (one will make the picture wider and one
narrower, I can't remember which off hand). If this then
offsets the picture a small permanent magnet can be used,
on the width coil, to pull it back.

Cheers,
	Lee.

________________________________________________________________________
This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The
service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit:
http://www.star.net.uk
________________________________________________________________________

---

From: "Patrick Rigney" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue Mar 4 12:46:29 2003

> metal tool up to it will change the width/centering) you

Uh, hopefully I'm just stating the obvious, but poking around with metal
tools inside of a monitor needs to be done carefully... stay away from the
flyback transformer, the anode terminal on the tube (the one on the side of
it), and the wire between them.  There can be very significant voltages here
even when the monitor isn't powered up, and even after long periods in
storage.  Thanks to a wise high school electric shop teacher (and an episode
with a cranky RCA B&W TV), I'm also in the habit of keeping the other hand
off of any other part of the monitor or anything that might make you a path
to ground, especially a path through one arm to the other (metal desk,
electric tool, etc.).  Once bitten, twice shy.

--Patrick